A Guide for the Self-Found Exile.

MF is completely useless in this sort of race event. It will not help you, and will very likely actively hurt your progress because you're wasting time worrying about, and prioritizing something that doesn't have to do with clear speed or safety, the two most important things.
"
Veruski wrote:
MF is completely useless in this sort of race event. It will not help you, and will very likely actively hurt your progress because you're wasting time worrying about, and prioritizing something that doesn't have to do with clear speed or safety, the two most important things.

I can tell you from experience, that you hit currency walls that will impede your progress even worse then swapping an affix stat for another and keeping a couple sets of gear.

I don't know.. how much faster would you get into maps with a 5L Flameblast over a 4L Flameblast?

I can 5L before level 50 running a portion of MF and doing a little micro managing to save currency. Leveling masters will make this even easier., but you still need the initial stacks of Alterations and Jewelers to convert through masters.
IGN: Grave_Intentions
$$$ Grave Intentions Flame Totem MFarmer: I'm Cheap 'n' Easy $$$
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/979802
Last edited by Fri3dchick3m on Apr 24, 2015, 5:07:03 PM
It is a bit of a gamble, I think.

I would be super happy to get a Goldrim in normal, it would make the first part of merciless much faster and safer. There are quite a few other leveling uniques too that would be great.

But if all I get for it is some more currency, I would be better off running faster to endgame, I think.

A gamble. I probably need to gamble HARD to have 1% chance to get top 35, so gamble it is :)
Tide goes in, tide goes out. You can't explain that.
"
BRedd10815 wrote:
Just leaving a tip here. I prefer vendoring armour scraps for wisdoms. You find lots of them and like you said, as fast as you upgrade gear before level 65 or so, there's no point in using them on gear that you will quickly replace with better gear.

Leaving a tip of my own, quality items with >10% quality are worth picking up if you need wisdoms (if you have a stash tab or two to dump the items then vendor en masse):

consider:

10% Q hat + 12% Q armour + 10% Q hat + 9% Q armour = 1 Armourers scrap = 2 Wisdoms
magic hat + magic armour + magic hat + magic armour = 8 Transmutation Shards = 1.6 Wisdoms

10% Q weapon + 16% Q weapon + 15% Q weapon = 1 Whetstone = 4 Wisdoms
magic weapon + magic weapon + magic weapon = 6 Transmutation Shards = 1.2 Wisdoms

There will be some wastage as you wont want to waste time making perfect 40% sets.

I personally tend to run MF characters and to maintain wisdoms pick up >15% armours, >10% non-8-slot weapons, most Q claws (because they alone fit below all other weapons), blue rings, blue amulets, blue belts.

Late game when you are swimming in portal scroll and scraps this is a little pointless. But to get started on a new league as someone like me who shuns all human interaction, it really helps.

Last edited by Gleng on Apr 24, 2015, 5:22:20 PM
Nice tips! Will the Build section come soon? I would like to read it before the 5day selffound race starts :)
Why isnt this in GD? No one cones here unless reddit links them here, lol
GGG listens to its fans!!! Thank you!
I played entirely self found in 1 month hardcore and can safely say crit tornado shot is as easy as ever. A 4 link is all you need to clear maps up to level 75 easily (TS + LMP + faster attacks + PPA is what I used). You can craft a decent enough bow with Tora + IPD recipe or yolo alts + regal + craft of some sort. It's also fairly easy to get a decent amount of life when you go for the life cluster (had 3500 around 70 and 4200 at 80) on top of huge evasion and projectile immunity.

Biggest tip I have from my experience from self found:

Learn your affixes. Knowing when you can start getting tier 2s/tier 1s on certain items will go a long way to helping you craft your own gear. For example, I knew that ilvl 73 is when tier 1 IPD starts to appear, so I was looking for harbs dropped by yellow mobs in 71 maps while I leveled so I could craft them. Of course, it can also be useful to simply alch every white base you see if you're looking for a specific item.

On top of this, know what items you need for upgrades. Learn your bases and be on the lookout for any whites/blues that drop of those bases. I would pick up every single Harbinger I found anywhere, at any level, because a quick transmute is a cheap way to maybe get a great stat to craft with, much cheaper than alt spamming later. I know a lot of people probably mentally tune out blue/white drops entirely, I know I did for a long time.

Lastly, I highly doubt anyone will have time to seriously do MFing on their own in a 5 day league.
Last edited by IceyDevil on Apr 24, 2015, 5:51:51 PM
"
IceyDevil wrote:
Lastly, I highly doubt anyone will have time to seriously do MFing on their own in a 5 day league.

Good tips. I am not certain why this point keeps getting missed - but MF is situational, not the play style.

I don't "MF farm". I add some degree of MF to my build and gear so that I can sustain and build a currency base that I will need later on when I need to craft a base, or move to a 5L or better.

"
Fri3dchick3m wrote:
"
IceyDevil wrote:

Good tips. I am not certain why this point keeps getting missed - but MF is situational, not the play style.

I don't "MF farm". I add some degree of MF to my build and gear so that I can sustain and build a currency base that I will need later on when I need to craft a base, or move to a 5L or better.

I managed to get like 60% rarity on my TS ranger for a while, but I don't feel like it helped any :P
50 rarity per difficulty does make a difference.

TS ranger is my favourite for leveling and gearing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info