Ideas about cause of death!

Hi

Me and my friend were playing in the one month hc league. We were doing fine until we died at 51lv at ledge.

Note that I am not making this thread to have any request about revivals, make a fuss about dying or anything of that sort!

But the point here is that it was not possible to determine why we died. Knowing this can be useful for the next time we play.

If you have any suggestions/ideas of what could have been the issue in this case please comment.

What happened:

We were in merciless ledge and around 51 level I had around 25-35 elemental resistances (I guess that could be the problem in my case) and my friend around 50 (auras included). I have 2077 life and 284ES and my friend 1829 life and 104ES.

There was a strongbox and my friend was charging his flameblast while I have opened it and then tried to run away so that I can fight more carefully.

Then we instantly died both.

I heard some explosions (something like detonate dead) and then dead.

Here are a couple of screenshots (one with items and one with no items):

Some theories (most of them doesn't seem very reasonable but please comment if you disagree)

- Reflect: This could have been the case for my friend (flameblast with many support gems) but I could not possibly one shot myself (freezing pulse) plus from what I remember I didn't have the time to do damage. In addition the strongbox didn't have any rares so probably there was no reflect monster.

- Storm/Frost/Flamebearers: that could potentially kill us but usually there is some delay until these explosion happens. It would need a very long de-sync to actually cause this. This doesn't seem very likely either.

- Damage from the monsters: This doesn't appear to very possible, the monsters as you can see in the screenshots are not strong damage dealers and we generally do not have any issues fighting these.

- Lightning storm from strongbox and/or random curse. It appeared that we died after the lightning storm ended AND after most of the monsters died. I find it hard for that to have been able to have one shotted us.

- Demons: The maps did have some demons but as you can see there were non in the pack. Even if there were some ahead of screen, they would need to devour some corspes to be able to do so much damage. They would probably not have the time for this.

- Bleeding: My friend noted that he got some corrupted blood charges which he remember removing. Perhaps one pack was corrupted bloolines. But this wouldn't be enough from one shotting us. In addition I don't remember doing much damage, I was trying to get away from the strongbox.

- An exile that was off-screen: That appears to be a cause that could one shot us: Magnus or Minara for example. But we witnessed no exiles nor can you see any exiles on the screenshots.

- Detonate dead: A massive detonation could have killed us but the strongbox didn't have such mod and the floor in the screenshot has many corpses that would be just blood in such a scenario.

Perhaps a combination of some of the above or another reason that we have overlooked could be the reason, but it just seems so strange, that's why I have decided to make this thread!

Well sometimes those beetle things explode. Dealing fire damage iirc. That might explain it....

Carrion minions they are called
It's free, quit complaining, and just play the game.
Last edited by Benalishhero on Mar 28, 2015, 6:01:28 PM
I can see two likely scenarios

lightning storm + ele weakness/conductivity + low resists + (not sure if it can crit)

lag on opening the box + 3 bloodlined packs + maybe some other curse

or combination of both
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
Benalishhero wrote:
Well sometimes those beetle things explode. Dealing fire damage iirc. That might explain it....

Carrion minions they are called

There are some that explode but the ones in ledge that we have encountered do not.

"
Ludvator wrote:
I can see two likely scenarios

lightning storm + ele weakness/conductivity + low resists + (not sure if it can crit)

lag on opening the box + 3 bloodlined packs + maybe some other curse

or combination of both

Probably that's what happened, at least in my case, a strong curse+shock from the storm and some de-sync. For my friend it is a bit more strange since he didn't got any curse and was a bit further from the pack... But who knows, unless we were recording a video we wouldn't be able to figure this out.

Well I guess if there is one thing that I will keep in mind next time, is to not underestimate resistances even in act1 merciless. Also to not underestimate strongboxes!
In addition to what's already been said, I'll toss out a few other points.

You opened a box in a partially confined space (next to the ocean). That concentrates the mobs around you and starts them further down the ledge toward your buddy. If you aren't using lightning warp, smoke mine etc then you can easily have your escape route blocked. This case isn't as bad as a small room or running through a doorway, but it still increases the risk.

Also, you could have had elemental status affects from a bloodline mod. I've never paid much attention to them, but I assume it can be any status affect. So you could have been shocked/chilled/ignited just being near them.

There could have been corrupted bloodline mobs, and you got hit with several corrupted bloods at once. You are a few steps away from the box, so you managed to move some. That could kill you real fast. (in a party does it only affect the person who killed the mob, anyone in the party, AOE ???)
Last edited by harddaysnight on Mar 29, 2015, 4:23:59 PM
To really figure out what happened first of all it would be helpful if you friend wasn't lying.

He got oneshot but still managed to remove bleeding stacks? Either he does not understand the term oneshot or idk..
Reflecting, Volatile XXXblood rare in a pack. Your friend blasts everything and dies to reflect, you die to volatile explosion - your resists are low enough to be oneshot by it.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
harddaysnight wrote:
In addition to what's already been said, I'll toss out a few other points.

You opened a box in a partially confined space (next to the ocean). That concentrates the mobs around you and starts them further down the ledge toward your buddy. If you aren't using lightning warp, smoke mine etc then you can easily have your escape route blocked. This case isn't as bad as a small room or running through a doorway, but it still increases the risk.

Also, you could have had elemental status affects from a bloodline mod. I've never paid much attention to them, but I assume it can be any status affect. So you could have been shocked/chilled/ignited just being near them.

There could have been corrupted bloodline mobs, and you got hit with several corrupted bloods at once. You are a few steps away from the box, so you managed to move some. That could kill you real fast. (in a party does it only affect the person who killed the mob, anyone in the party, AOE ???)

You have a good point about being careful in opening strongboxes in tight places. I guess there wasn't any problem in normal or cruel, but in merciless the risk is higher.

If you mean the cultist of elements, I think these hit you only when you hit them.

As I said from what I can remember I was trying to run away so at least I couldn't get any corrupted blood stacks.

"
ItsRay wrote:
To really figure out what happened first of all it would be helpful if you friend wasn't lying.

He got oneshot but still managed to remove bleeding stacks? Either he does not understand the term oneshot or idk..

He removed the bleeding stacks then died (he one shotted most of the monsters I think, beetles do not have much life anyway). We died a few seconds after we opened the box (and I think after the storm ended) so this could be possible. But really, it is hard to remember exactly what happened because everything happened so fast.

"
silumit wrote:
Reflecting, Volatile XXXblood rare in a pack. Your friend blasts everything and dies to reflect, you die to volatile explosion - your resists are low enough to be oneshot by it.

That's an interesting theory. Would it be possible though for rare monsters to spawn from a box that says 3 blue packs?
Last edited by phmn on Mar 30, 2015, 4:46:28 AM
My mental scenario involves 2 packs of Corrupted Bloodline and 1 pack with Bonds of Chaos or some sort of Pulseblood.

I'm picturing your friend killing most of one pack with the flameblast, getting a bunch of corrupted blood, removing that bleed but then getting hit with another bunch of corrupted blood after the proliferated ignite damage killed the remainder of the Corrupted Bloodlines pack and dying before he was able to remove it again.

For you, you said you had 25-25% elemental resistances but haven't mentioned your chaos resistance.
If you'd ended up in the middle of a Bonds of Chaos pack, could that have done enough damage to kill you so quickly?

Or possibly with Pulseblood, you'd had a full pack spawn around you, they all pulsed to each other and you got hit with multiple pulses at once?

That's my guess.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Mar 30, 2015, 5:36:25 AM
Another thing i can imagine is poison bombs. I had the impression that the poison cloud mod doesn't simply create the clouds but rather throws poison bombs right next to the strongbox. I had a similar death a while ago that was very hard to explain and it looked like i died from the hit damage of the bombs. The sound also matched that as if a horde of those poison bomb dudes from the sewers had spawned on top of my char.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info