Pillars of Eternity (PoE)

I finally got around to getting it. I'm not very far into it, I just started but damn, its everything I wanted it to be. Seems fantastic.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
Sa_Re wrote:
"
Odoakar wrote:
I've been seeing a lot of negative stuff about Pillars recently, but I just don't see it. FIghts are pretty much the same as in BG2, if not better,

Wat? PoE fights become boring real quick. No hardcounters that require different tactics, terrible encounter design, ...

PoE doesn't have anything that is remotely as fun as BG 2 mage or group vs. group battles.

"
Odoakar wrote:
due to all the melee fighters having active skills

But at the same time are heavily penalized for movement due to the engagement system. PoEs system fits better to turn based combat imo.

"
Odoakar wrote:
Cyphers are such a cool class, with an amazing array of spells.

Mental Binding is so much better than any other Cypher spell that the opportunity costs for using other spells is just too high to bother. But the focus mechanic is nice indeed.

"
Odoakar wrote:

But as I see my posts lately are irritating kind folks who see no issues whatsoever with Path of exile and consider any critic as blasphemy, I'll leave you with this gem from Eder and bid you farewell.

I appreciate GGG even more now because they stayed true to diablo 2 while making it even more complex. Pillars is just a modern MMO-like version of the IE games.

"
Odoakar wrote:
To any self respecting PC gamer, I recommend giving Pillars I try. It's a game that deserves attention and rewards your time with it immensely.

I'd recommend it to people who like MMO fight systems or people who played IE games mainly for the story. IE veterans who enjoyed the BG games with the SCS mod or other difficulty mods could wait till PoE is cheap and got decent mods.

e: SCS mod (Sword Coast Strategems), not SRS

Well you have bursted my bubble. And I expected so much from that game.

I loved the strategic component in BG2. And that the world was filled with stuff to do. Side quests everywhere. The setting and story was just icing on the cake. Guess I will wait till it drops in price (10% off gog currently).
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
Last edited by Reinhart on Jun 14, 2015, 7:10:16 AM
I have fired up this game again. Honestly no idea why it has gotten that much flak. It may not be on the same scale as one of the oldtime rpg classic. But when you compare it with modern titles such as Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3, it already feels like a bloody masterpiece.

Combat wise the game doesn't feel overly difficult and it is a bit of a pity it doesnt offer the same strategic feel as Baldur's Gate 2.

The game oozes pc game quality though. A rarity these days. Crisp clear graphics. Lovely music. Good user interface. Keys that I can bind. Even a mode for colour blind people!

I am not that far in yet but I am liking what I see. A low fantasy world to discover. And little story cutscenes where you can make impactful choices.

I'll serve my final judgement till the end of the game.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
I fucking loved Pillars, but to me is still a second class Baldur's Gate. The Witcher 3 is a landmark for RPGs to come.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
Poutsos wrote:
I fucking loved Pillars, but to me is still a second class Baldur's Gate. The Witcher 3 is a landmark for RPGs to come.

It is. Even if it is not really comparable to games like BG or Pillars ;)
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
"
Reinhart wrote:
And little story cutscenes where you can make impactful choices.
Example? Not of choices but of their impacts.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info