what it is to be

The problem is that the game has no mechanics (other than trading) to skew loot results in a certain direction. Therefore a huge amount of items must drop, so that you can find what you need in a realistic time frame. That is true already when you search for white (crafting bases), for rare items this is then severely multiplied (finding the right base, with the right affixes, with right bracket...).

If PoE had some mechanics for loot bias, less crap would need to drop. Say you need 2H swords and you have a way to "go farm for 2H swords" (maybe with a penalty in other drops). The time / grind required for you to find a good 2H sword could even be exactly the same, but in the second case, you at least know you are working toward a goal, instead of hoping that RNG will (eventually) sort it out.

Ofc. one of the obvious 'loot bias' mechanics is that high level, difficult content should drop better items. But in PoE, playing the most difficult to reach & expensive maps, results in roughly the same swarm of garbage that you can get elsewhere for no orb investment (eg. at Dominus). It doesn't make sense.

GGG has shown they can come up with some great ideas, but they dont want (?) to improve looting further. I guess it's because they want to keep trading as the primary way to gear up. But as master crafting has shown, GGG can improve the individual looting experience at the expense of trading and the game has become better because of it.

I've played a ton of endgame. It's funny that the only thing that keeps me excited in a map is the prospect of a map drop. When I see a rare, the first thought is if it will fit into the inventory or should I just leave it there. When I hear a unique drop, it's 'which low level crap it is now'. I barely look at rare gear stats anymore. I probably vendored good items because hauling trash from maps and vendoring it has become an automated subconscious task.

It's a strange thing, when an ARPG loot finder makes you apathetic toward loot.

(ironically, OP 'freak of nature' gloves are an interesting and exciting find :))
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Mar 1, 2015, 9:27:35 AM
@morbo the game already has targeted farm or loot bias, it just is not as visible as a patch line saying

"area x will now have a higher tendency to drop X"

Looking for a good 2-hand sword and wanna increase your odds at a good roll?

Buy chaos orbs and spam that white base that is readily available at the appropriate Ilvl.

Or scour + alch

Or allt/augment etc for a good base then regal and master craft.

Simply put with effort you can already focus on a goal and reach it after a certain investment.

The game also provokes you, let's say for example your running low on alteration or transmutes, then suddenly those "crappy blue's" become a lot more appealing to haul to town. Conversely if your stock is full, not so exciting at all.

Maybe the stocks need to deplete at a more stable rate, but this again would involve changing RNG to guaranteed patterns,i don't find this likely for GGG to do.

The current implementation of orbs allows for a personal bias while the game has none.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
Looking for a good 2-hand sword and wanna increase your odds at a good roll?

Buy chaos orbs and spam that white base that is readily available at the appropriate Ilvl.

If you mean to buy chaos from other players, then it makes a lot more sense to just buy the damn sword. If you mean to use the orbs I've found / vendor recipe'd, to gamble an item, I can't cause I throw all my alc/scour/chaos/chisel/regal into rolling maps, boxes or bench crafting. :(

Orb drop rates are atrocious and suitable for nothing more but the baseline experience. I've only enjoyed endgame mapping to the fullest in leagues where I traded for orbs.

You are right, tho. The player can simulate drops by spamming chaos onto items. This is a way to apply loot bias. But itemization is still the same bland mess of "everything goes", you just spin the wheel a few extra times.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
I think the endless "trash item spam" is what makes players quit the most, overall.

Once you are 85~ and the levels dont come as fast as they did before so you have time to "smell the roses" so to speak, you start to notice that you spend map after map dumping your items on the vendor. I am trying to play with as little trading as possible, so i keep *every* decent rare, even if i might not be able to sell it. But everything is vendor fodder, exclusively. I currenty get one keepable (mind you, thats not decent) rare every 10 days or so, and i'd probably get more mileage out of it if i vendored it.

I dont want D3 levels of uber loot shoved in your face as soon as i move an inch, but the "RNG on top of RNG on top of a lottery to draw a lottery ticket" leads to a rather.. frustrating player experience.
"

It's a good point though. GGG have long neglected the importance of item level-appropriate affix rolls. If they're using this wide variance as a 'balance' technique, then they need to scrap it and find a new way of ensuring not all rares are tier 1 or whatever.

Because frankly, there's no excuse for those mods on a set of level 70+ gloves. Dropping items like this is what Chris would call a negative experience.

I second this
Visit my shop!

〆〆〆 ( ( ( THE BALROG'S BAZAAR ) ) ) 〆〆〆
You sir have found a reason, why itemization in poe is such sh1t :)

GJ, keep the work done and let us know results after a year of this bullshit.
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
@Morbo i would be more then happy with a affix/suffix tier roof on items in relation to there itemlevel.

But i think a more profound issue is the lack of actual interesting modifiers on gear.

If i remember correctly McBscrotie made a thread about this once where he examined the affixes/suffixes of maps and items and redesigned them. And the outcome was a more interesting/engaging item/map modifier composition.

Which in return made the "obvious choice" a lot more obscure and as such instilled doubt in the player on what was actually the most beneficial a choice.

Let's imagine for a moment, "thorns" get's replaced with "deals x% of default attack on hit"

Now suddenly you have a modifier that isn't just a filler and in the right set-up/build actually becomes a buff. Even more so, a built specialized in this modifier could potentially lead to interesting results.

I would very much enjoy if the entire affix/suffix pool was reworked and more interesting modifiers where added and ontop of that a roof was added to abolish T7 rolls from ILVL 78 items for example.

At the same time i think "just adding a roof" without any other consideration would not be a good move in itself.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Having ignore mods on higher gear. Ignores ES, igonres armor to go with the can't be evaded we already can get.

Can't be frozen, ignited, shocked mods.

Keep them rare, but add some spice to the possibilities.

Plus % to just about anything could open a whole new world of build possibilities that we currently lack.

-rant over-
Not to be nitpicky, Moon, but Ignores ES can't exist.

Because P... Hurk

Sorry. Because Pv... Burp.. gag

Ugh, apologies! Ignore ES can't be a thing because PvP.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Last edited by Antnee on Mar 1, 2015, 11:39:50 AM
I would be glad to drop far less yellows but with better centered tier affix around item ilevel.
IGN TylordRampage
Last edited by Malone on Mar 1, 2015, 11:40:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info