Xbox servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Kamikaze Clones : LL Mirror Arrow Instability Proliferation

Update August 28th : Chris linked to this thread in the recent Q&A post.this is expected to bring in people wanting to try the build. If that's you, here's my advice : just don't. While the build was sub-par but more or less still functional in late 1.3, the heavy handed nerf to Elemental Proliferation in 2.0 completely buried it. With a tiny fixed 12 radius and the very limited amount of clones available, it's just not possible to have enough to clear at a reasonably enjoyable speed even if the damage was somehow good enough (which I doubt, I haven't tried much post 2.0 though). Just enjoy the videos below as a piece of PoE history and move on to breaking the game in a cool new way !

Update March 21st : next patch has come with no changes to the build. It's very likely none will happen until 1.4, if any. So yeah, we're left with a novelty build that still works well enough, but is a lot less efficient than your typical burn prolif build (flameblast, fire trap, etc). I won't be updating this until some rebalance shakes things up (like say a Prolif rework in 1.4 ?). Regardless, enjoy the silliness of the videos below, and behold the OPness of a build that lived for a whole freaking week before getting the nerf hammer. RIP.

Update March 1st : Honorable mention for BotW. More changes to this build are being hinted at for this week. I won't bother rewriting the guide until I see what those are.
Beware that everything below is about the pre-nerf stuff and is mostly irrelevant now.

Update 27 Feb : WARNING ! GGG just made a patch specifically to kill this build. Boom, 80% less life nerf. It's obviously a huge blow. However, after a very short round of testing my impression is that the build actually still works relatively well. Possibly not better than other burn prolif options anymore, but still workable. We'll have to wait a bit for the dust to settle before giving a final verdict.

This build revolves around the Mirror Arrow skill gem and the Minion Instability keystone. We use MA's property of "snapshotting" your life reservation level, and low life, to summon clones directly in low life range. This results in them exploding instantly on Summon (thanks to a fix in the most recent patch) . The mirror clones have lots of life and a big damage modifier, making for a nice explosion which can then be proliferated to kill everything on screen (...yes, this is yet another burn prolif build, if you want to look at it that way).

I have found it extremely effective and fun to play. It also works surprisingly well with trash gear, which is not an usual property of low life builds. I have made the slightly unusual choice of not using a Shav's (which is stupid expensive) or a Lorica (which is garbage). Instead I rely on my small life pool and maxed out chaos resist to defend against chaos damage. It works ! See the relevant section for more details.

ACTIONS VIDEOS :
4 minute shipyard full clear (while looting, opening boxes, etc)
130+IIQ Courtyard, using a 5L
rare Gorge with cheap ass uniques, 4Ls, and lvl18 gems
Hexproof Courtyard
6-player HP twinned Courtyard
My first Atziri fight (see page 5 for setup)
Full Atziri run with 5Ls, decent gear
Full Atziri run with 4Ls, bad gear

Nerf warning : if you want to run this build, beware that at the moment it seems a bit too good. A nerf is not at all unlikely. Impossible to tell if and when it would happen though. I hope that GGG will use this opportunity to take a look at burn prolif in general rather than this specific combo, but I understand that a major balance change is hard to do mid league, so maybe that will only happen with 1.4. If there is a nerf before that, it could be to MA and go like this (pure speculation) : "75% more minion damage" -> "75% more minion weapon damage". That would axe over half of this build's burning damage. I suspect that would leave it somewhat viable still.

[spoiler='Pros & Cons']PROS

- Ridiculously high damage : About in the same ballpark as a well geared crit flameblast pre-nerf. Not only is the damage output excellent, it's also completely independent from gear, making it very easy to achieve. You only need the right gems and links, and the gems don't even need to be level 20, quality, or 6-linked to perform well ! (even just a 4L is already pretty damn good).

- completely reflect immune, which is nice when you do that much deeps.

- easy gearing : because damage is all from gems and passives, all you need on gear is defensive stats. Running triple purities with high aura effectiveness makes capping resists trivial, so you can focus on getting stuff like high ES, chaos resist, etc.

- works well on the cheap : we also do not need any expensive unique or a 6L (not even a 5L, if you want/need to be real cheap). The build can be made to work on a shoestring budget, and goes right into OP territory with less than 5ex worth of gear (Torment). There's plenty of room to grow for high budgets too.

- quite tanky : the build can easily get 6k ES with bad gear, and 8k+ with good stuff at high level. It also has 82/82/83 ele resists and about 10k evasion (25k with flasks). 200% faster start of ES recharge synergizes very well with evasion and manual dodging, which we can do a lot of since we don't need to stay in place and attack. This is also a long range hit and run build, with zombie meat shields, so you just don't get hit too often to begin with.

- flexible mapper : lots of map mods do absolutely nothing to the build, and almost none of them ever need to be rerolled. See mapping section below for details (section non existent at the moment).

- can run Atziri on a tight budget : See bad gear 4L Atziri run video

- fast movement : no need for unique boots, so you can go for 30%MS rares, and you get 15-20% on top from passives and gear. There's also room for one or even two quicksilver flasks on your belt (that might seem like a detail, but I personally find move speed to be a major factor in how enjoyable a build is to play)

- functional from lvl60 : the build doesn't need 110 points to even start working, unlike some other low life builds out there. It will be mostly complete by the time you start mapping, and every level from there will only make it better.

- Excellent MF capability : Considering the low requirements on gear, you can squeeze in a lot of IIR/IIQ without compromising on the damage. LL means you also get to use Wondertraps. (the build would probably need some heavy adapting to optimize MF though, most notably switching to a regular low life chest)

- fracture and beyond don't slow you down one bit (that's common to all burn prolif builds really). I barely even see Beyonders popping up, they just fall back down immediately - except for the uniques who take a couple more seconds.

CONS

- chaos damage is sneaky : chaos damage isn't actually much of a problem (see dedicated section below), but one needs to be paying attention, or risk to die simply from not noticing your health is going down. For this reason I wouldn't recommend the build in HC (there's another reason : I know nothing of proper build making for HC. I play SC exclusively.)

- not practical to level with : there are ways to level as low life from as early as normal difficulty, but those are not practical without Ghost Reaver or a shield, and this build can't use either. I strongly advise against using this spec before at least Merciless. Leveling as a low life caster would work fine though!

- MA cooldown puts a hard cap on clear speed : first world problem, but you will not be able to clear easy maps as fast as some top tier builds (Mjolner, etc) simply because you need to wait for the cooldown to finish before taking on another screen's worth of mobs. Gorge run time is therefore relatively meh. However, clear time on the maps you actually want to be running (rolled 77-78s) is right up there with the best![/spoiler]

[spoiler='Gem Links']Main damage link : GBBBR(B/R), chest or bow
Mirror Arrow - Chance to Ignite - Elemental Proliferation - Increased AoE - (5th link) Increased Burning Damage - (6th link) Minion Damage/Empower/Minion Life/Fire Pen/Raise Zombie

[spoiler='MA supports choice'] MA, CTI and EP are non-negotiable, for obvious reasons.

I consider Increased AoE to be a core support as well, because you really need to clear all or most of the screen each time you shoot an arrow. Else, your clear speed with be shit. From my testing, the difference seems enormous ; the build feels really bad without it.

In 5th, Increased Burning Damage is important mostly because of the quality bonus, ignite chance, which is pretty hard to come by. It's also significantly scaling burn damage, although there are much better supports for that. This should be the first gem you look for quality on ; if you don't have access to a quality one, skip it entirely.

The 6th link is luxury, and open to a few options. Minion life and empower will both boost significantly the base life of the clones, which directly scales the damage output (Empower also scales the minion Damage bonus along with gem levels).
Minion Damage and Minion Life have roughly the same effect on the initial explosion's damage - MD's modifier value is higher, but so is your total increased minion damage modifier relative to your total increased minion life modifier, which evens out. But! Then there is that jazz about minion damage double dipping with the ignite damage. Taking that into account, then minion damage is actually much superior to minion life, and even better than Empower 3 [some actual math to be added here].
Empower level 3 is a fair bit better than 20/20 minion life, which is better than Empower 2 - unless your link is in a +1 all gems bow or corrupted chest, in which case you definitely want Empower there.
Fire Penetration is a good choice if you have a second red socket and no lvl3 Empower ; it's also very nice to switch to on +75% fire resist or curse immune maps (you can put it instead of IBD on those occasions). Otherwise, because we already drastically reduce resistances on mobs with curses/EE, the effect of Penetration is actually not that great. Even against curse immune rare mobs or curse resistant map bosses, where penetration would shine, you usually have white mobs nearby to proliferate from.
Another option to consider is Raise Zombie. By putting them here, they will not only tank for you, but also explode and prolif as another MA would, usually just when you need them to - aka when encountering dangerous, high damage mobs, and that might even be threatening to stunlock you and prevent MA from firing. The exploding zombies definitely saved my ass on multiple occasions when I was running them here (currently have them elsewhere unlinked).[/spoiler]

Curse on Hit / EE "priming" setup : GBBBG(G), chest or bow
4L: Rain of Arrows - CoH - Flammability - Elemental Weakness
5L: Split Arrow - Chain - CoH - Flammability - Elemental Weakness
6L: Ice Shot - GMP - CoH - Flammability - Elemental Weakness - Temporal Chains

[spoiler='CoH/EE setup discussion'] As usual with burn builds, reducing mob fire resistance is a major way of scaling damage. This is even more the case here than on a regular burn build, because we have access to very few other means of scaling : spell/elemental/fire/burning damage passives or gear affixes do nothing for us. So we definitely want to be using that to its fullest. We have clicking time to spare while MA is on cooldown anyway, so let's take advantage of that.

First stop is Elemental Equilibrium. The keystone is right on a path we would have taken anyway , so that's nice. All we need to apply it is some cold or lightning damage (but no fire). It can actually be applied by mirror arrow itself, as it hits a mob on the head for some damage when you aim at it. This is however insufficient, as MA will not apply to other targets in range of the explosion, or further away in Proliferation range. To use it effectively, we need to use a wide hitting attack. Might as well use that as a vector for cursing, as it is faster and more efficient (also easier on the mana) than self casting.

Choice of attack :
- Rain of Arrows is our choice for when only one socket is available (we need at least three others for coh + 2 curses). It can be aimed freely and will hit every target in it's respectable AoE. It is however less than ideal because of it's delay which will make you miss fast moving targets, although that can be alleviated somewhat with Projectile Speed on the bow (it's nice to have anyway for Mirror Arrow which also has a similar delay). The radius is also limited, and will not be enough to curse large or scattered packs in one go.
- Split Arrow + Chain is the better option chosen with 2 sockets available (5L with 2 curses or 6L with 3 curses). Split arrow is almost instant and has built in AoE, but only hits the "front line" of a pack ; chain takes care of that and more. You get in total up to 21 hits with this combo, which is enough to curse most stuff on screen (and often some stuff off screen too). 2 clicks is almost guaranteed to cover the most dense concentrations of mobs. Chain also has the nice property of letting you hit stuff around corners, which is very handy in indoor maps like Academy.
- Ice Shot + GMP has coverage almost on par with split arrow chain (actually better on dense packs) and it leaves chilled ground, which goes insanely well with temp chains. Those two combined make most enemies pretty much static as soon as they get hit, which is excellent for survivability. Thanks to Frolamiz for the brilliant suggestion.

- other options worth considering : Tornado Shot GMP ; Lightning Arrow GMP (bonus point for integrated lightning damage, one less affix to gear to worry about) ; Ball Lightning with or without GMP (it doesn't have to be a bow attack! However I find Ball lightning too slow. Maybe if using a Quill Rain it would work nicely, although a superfast attack with QR would also be hard to pass up)

Choice of curses :
We get two natively from passives. A third can be obtained through either a corrupted amulet (a Sidhebreath would be the more obtainable option) or a Doedre's Damning ring. I advise against using Windscreams which have terrible movespeed and no ES, chaos res, or life. I'd rather lose a ring slot.
I would just not bother with a third curse unless I had a 6L to curse with, since tricurse with a 5L means using the inferior RoA for delivery. Quad curse is not practical and not worth pursuing, unless maybe if you have a pair of gloves corrupted with Elemental Weakness or Vulnerability on hit (in which case you will have to wear both a corrupted amulet and a D's Damning, and that could be taxing on the rest of your gear).
-Flammability is the most important. Ignite chance is very precious, and so is fire resistance reduction. This one is non-negotiable. Quality is unnecessary, borderline useless.
-Elemental Weakness is the second curse of choice for DPS. It gives a tremendous total of reduced fire resist. Quality is excellent, get some if possible (or flip it when it hits 20). You can replace this with a defensive curse if you feel more need for survivability than for damage (which would probably be the case with weak gear).
-Temporal Chains is my favorite defensive curse, and it happens to synergize well with multiple aspects of this build. It makes your burns last longer which is good for hard targets and the get that annoying lone survivor. It also makes your other curses last longer. It makes it easier to get away from melee mobs and gap closers with your high movement speed. It also gives better chance to get the two second no-hit period we need for ES recharge to start. As a bonus, it's a green gem, which is easy on the chromes if your CoH setup is in the bow.
-other options : Vulnerability for even more damage (seems unnecessary), Enfeeble for more defense (instead of either TC or EW). [/spoiler]

[spoiler='Which goes in the bow and which goes in the chest?'] ideally, you want the MA setup in the bow, because you can get a 6L bow for cheap (while a 6L decent ES chest is quite expensive) and also because you can roll +lvl to bow gems there, which dramatically improves the life (and therefore damage) of the clones.
There's a big problem though : needed colors are GBBBR(5L) or GBBBR[BorR](6L), which are 4/5 and 5/6 off colors. Ouch. That's about a truckload of chromes to get, on average... So realistically, you will probably put that setup in your chest piece (2 or 3 off-colors depending on your choice of 6th) and put the GGG BBB "priming" setup in the bow, as that's a more manageable 3 off.
It's not a terrible problem : MA does plenty enough damage in a 5L without additional levels (and I mean for end-end game, like hard 78s solo).
There are a few tricks you can use to mitigate the chroming problem ; see gearing section. [/spoiler]

Auras & utility links :
I'm still working on that part. There are a few attractive setups and I haven't decided on one yet. The core is the same and as follows :

- Discipline, Grace, Purity of Fire/Ice/Lightning
These are your 5 main auras. See the section about defensive strategies for details and reasons.

- Vaal Discipline
Great panic button. You ideally want two of them linked with Increased Duration, but that's not so critical.

- Raise Zombie
If you haven't put them together with MA in 6th, putting them somewhere unlinked or with just minion life will give you 7 fine meat shields for very little investment.

reference setup (outdated) :
helm BGRR : Discipline - Grace - Purity of Fire - RM
Gloves BGRR : Purity of Lightning - Purity of Ice - RM - BM
Boots BBBR : Raise Zombie - Vaal Discipline - Vaal Discipline - Increased Duration

I also have Desecrate and Blink Arrow on switch, for Zombies and for gap jumping respectively.

[spoiler='questions left to answer']
- Vitality?
One of the unknowns remaining. I want to run it, as it provides a huge amount of tankiness against chaos damage. See relevant section below. I can squeeze it in with the rest by just switching stuff around, but then I fall short on mana for 6L MA (which costs 100-something mana). That's a problem that can probably be solved though.
(not running it currently, probably will not go back on it)

- what goes on mana, what goes on life?
I currently have 2 purities on life, which is at best 72% reservation (with lvl21 reduced mana) . I would much prefer 64%, as that's 25% more unreserved life to soak up chaos damage with ! To achieve that we need to either up our reduced mana reservation, or switch to a single 60% aura on life. The former can't really be done with passives, but Alpha's Howl could work ; it actually puts life reservation at precisely 64%, and should let us add in Vitality on mana while keeping sufficient free mana (to be tested if that plus the extra aura level plus freeze immunity is worth losing the 300+ ES and 30% chaos resist). The latter means giving up a socket (splitting up the remaining three) and not standing a chance to run Vitality anymore.
Sticking with the 72% is also an option...
(currently running Grace+Clarity on life) [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Passives & Leveling']Here is my current tree at lvl90.
I still need to move some gear around to drop a couple of the +30 nodes.

Bandits are kill-kill-kill.

Indicative tree at level 60 ish which is a good time to switch to the main spec safely.

There are many options to level a character for this ; I strongly recommend referring to this great guide for a fun, respec-less experience. Let me know what you did and how it went for you ![/spoiler]

[spoiler='The Gear']Here's what you are looking for in general for each slot : (examples for different budgets below)

- chest : ES or ES/Eva base. Aim for 600+ ES for endgame. If you do get a great carnal (1k+ eva, 500+ ES) that's really good too. Chaos res is usually considered a dead stat there so take advantage. I bought a 650 ES 5L Vaal Regalia with t1 chaos res and a second res for 2 ex (Torment).

- bow : anything, really. Preferably low dex requirement. Quill Rain is an excellent choice, the build feels great with it. a 4L is enough to get to mid-high maps, a 5L will do any content ezpz. On a rare, valuable stats are + bow gem levels, cold/light damage, projectile speed, resists. Attack speed and accuracy are also useful. A 6L +3 bow would be best in slot, but it's complete overkill.

[spoiler='how to craft your own endgame bow'] 1. Buy a white or shit roll 6L bow (non corrupted). The lower the base the better, aim for 100 dex required or less. ilvl should be 64+. Currently a few for sale at 25-30c in Torment. (update : price have risen significantly since this guide came out)

2. Alt "32% reduced stat requirements" on it (common roll)

3. Whip out your stock of chromes and use t hem. See what the calculator has to say, but Vorici's 1B option is probably best. You are hunting for GBBBBR or GBBBRR or GBBBBB.
Good luck.
If all you could get is a 160+ dex required bow, just avoid yourself the headache and just go for GGGBBB, you'll put your curses in there.

4. Congrats on making it this far. Now you get to try and alt +2 bow gems. It should be a lot less painful than step 3. If you get +1 all gems, jackpot! If you're putting curses in here instead of the MA link, just roll what you are lacking elsewhere, like chaos resist, dexterity, etc.

5. Aug if appropriate, then regal. Anything besides added fire is fine. (if that, scour and go back to square 4)

6. Master craft something you didn't get. cold/light damage, projectile speed, Attack speed, accuracy, your call.

7. ???

8. Profit ! [/spoiler]

- quiver : Soul Strike. Buy it for a few chaos, it's the best quiver for this build by miles. Only the ES roll matters. Hyrri's Bite is also a good option when SS is not possible, as it's the only piece of gear that will give your MI explosions better AoE, and it has base stats we need.

- helm : The Vertex is what you really want there. Every stat on it is great for us (with the exception of the reduced cost). It's currently under an ex in Torment. If that's not possible for you, The Broken Crown is really nice and a good roll can be bought for a chaos.
Alternatively, if you have nice ES on chest and gloves/boots, Alpha's Howl might be a good choice here (I'm currently testing that).

- gloves : as much ES as you can get, and resists (chaos mostly). Dex or Str would also be really nice. Life, IAS, accuracy, flat cold/light are all mildly useful. If you have an open prefix, Cat can craft some minion life on there for a good damage boost.

- boots : movement speed above all. ES comes next. chaos and/or other resists would be nice. It's unlikely that you will be able to get life there, and that's fine. Get Dex or Str if possible. If you can't get a decent ES base, something with high evasion would work fine too.

- ring 1 : Lori's Lantern. Nice chaos res + all res, movement speed on a ring which is great, huge light radius, and the very underrated "enemies are unlucky". While difficult to quantify, that mod is absolutely fantastic. The light radius is enough for us to be able to ditch arcane vision (see section lower down about chaos res low life)

- ring 2 : rare with chaos res, ele res, ES. Whatever dex or str you need. %ES craft would be great. Life is optional but nice to have. Doedre's Damning is also an option if yoou don't have a +curse ammy and yu can cap your resists (esp chaos) without this slot.

- amulet : If you have a 6L for cursing, you really want a +1 curse corrupt in this slot to avoid having to use Deodre's ring. Good rares with this implicit are very hard to come by and expensive. You can however get a corrupted Sidhebreath (which is one of the few pieces of gear that will boost your damage, and significantly at that) for cheap : 25-30c in torment, and about 2ex in standard.
Otherwise, you want a rare with the following stats (by order or descending importance) : +%ES, chaos resist, +ES, %evasion, Dex, Strength, life, ele resists.

- belt : ES, chaos resist, life, strength, ele resist.

[spoiler='example of hobo-mode super cheap gear that will still clear maps well']

If you find the chest too good to be considered trash (although something like that costs a handful of chaos unlinked in torment currently), something with the same ES but zero evasion works about as well.

Action video wearing the gear above [/spoiler]

[spoiler='example of gear capable of clearing any content (5ex ish budget)']

The only reason I'm using the ammy is for the +1 curse, although the reduced stat requirements effectively replaces a good str+dex roll, and the mana regen is mildly useful (actually quite useful on half regen maps). You would want to get a corrupted Sidhe there instead.
Costs in Torment : chest = 2ex, helm = 30c, Bow = 30 + rolling = 1ex, quiver 5c, Amulet (Sidhe) 30c, Lantern 5c, other slots (gloves/boots/ring2/belt) 5 to 10 c each : total 5~6 exalts.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='current testing gear in standard (used in most of the videos)']
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='what best in slot gear would be like']Even at very high gear levels I would not drop these four :

You'd ideally want a 20% minion damage corruption on the hat, and an additional arrow on the quiver (but it's not worth pursuing).

Weapon :

is pretty close to being BiS. In a perfect world you would want a grove bow base, and on top of the +3 : master crafted Damage over Time (Leo lvl3), max roll projectile speed, max roll IAS, and dex/chaos res/accuracy.

For the chest, either a 6L 900ES Vaal Regalia, or Shavs if you want to go that way. Shavs is objectively superior as it makes the rest of the gearing easier and lets you drop the Purity of Flesh cluster.

Gloves would look like these but with better suffixes and on a better base:

etc.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Flasks']Lot of leeway here. Only requirements are :
- types : at least 1 life, 1 quicksilver. 1 jade recommended
- suffixes : at least 1 anti bleed, 1 anti freeze, 1 anti curse.

Here's my current mapping setup :
[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler='Mechanics, alternatives, etc']
[spoiler='About damage scaling']Damage scaling is a bit different from most burn prolif builds because we do damage through a minion. As such, only minion-related passive modifiers apply (as well as support gems of course). Elemental, Fire and Burning damage nodes on the tree do nothing. Neither do AoE nodes or Ignite chance nodes. What does work is Minion Life and Minion Damage, so we take as much of that as practical.

About Damage Calculations :
I'll write this out later. In the meantime, Here's a nice spreadsheet, courtesy of 50miler. [/spoiler]

[spoiler='about low life through chaos resist']"You must be dying to chaos damage all the time" is something that always comes up about doing low life without Shavs or Lorica.

The short answer is : no, I don't .

Here's a simple thought experiment : Imagine you have a life based build with 5k life and -60% chaos resist. Would you feel like you should die to chaos damage all the time? With 75% chaos resist, you only take 25/160=15.6% of the damage, meaning that with only 780 life you get exactly as much effective HP against chaos than in the above scenario.
There are two important difference though :
- in our case, that pseudo-5k life tool cannot take any damage from non chaos sources. And how often have you seen or heard of a pure chaos one-shot? (as far as I know, there actually are no pure chaos damage hits in the game. None. They're almost all chaos/phys Hybrids : Weaver, constructs, snakes... the only pure chaos damage I know of comes in the form of degens, which are covered below)
- life regeneration also scales differently. X% of *maximum* life regenerated per second is a lot more effective when your actual life pool is only 26% to 34% of that. A setup with 65% reservation and Vitality will regenerate 11.5% of it's unreserved life pool per second. With that, you just don't have much to fear from degens...
Bonus : a Seething flask recovers 100% of your life pool per activation.

Chaos damage sources I tested against and results :
- standing in Desecrated ground in a 78 : with Vitality, I'm still regenerating life, and pretty fast. Without Vitality, I degen a bit, but it takes a whole 15 seconds to kill me - probably longer than the average life build.
- standing in Desecrated Ground in a 78 cursed with Vulnerability : still regenerating if vitality is on. Starting to get dangerous without it.
-Jungle Valley boss : without an amethyst flask up, a chaos EK to the face seems to take about a quarter to a third of my life away, which regens promptly. the physical part of the damage eats through at least 7k ES before I feel the need to use a life flask.
-pack of chaos snakes in a 76 : same story as Weaver. The physical part of the damage seems more dangerous than the chaos part. Might still need to flask if you take a big burst.
-Beyonder tar death-farts, with Vulnerability, in a 74 : mild degen. Can stand there, not too long, but without feeling in much danger. I certainly can't say the same about some of my life builds...
-poison on hit map mod on a 75 with damage mods : this one surprised me. I expected it to be tough, and it turns out it does essentially nothing. Augmented necro Merveil couldn't even budge my life level.
-strongbox poison cloud in a high map : still have to test that one. I can see it being dangerous (it is for life builds too).

Long story short, from experience : you will not die to chaos damage unless you're not paying attention.

Note that because I'm not very good at paying attention, I chose to spec out of Arcane Vision . The light radius is still perfectly manageable thanks to Lori's Lantern, and I get an unmissable visual cue when my health is going down. The other sizeable benefit is that I save 2 passive points and get a free 20 dex from the reroute (so, 2.6 passives points).
If you hate playing with lowish light radius, just take AV but beware that you will need to pay close attention to the 12 pixels that compose your life pool.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='why no traps?']Traps seem like a natural fit for this. They allow you to bypass the cooldown on MA, which means being able to get out three of them out in succession if you need to. That's what I did at first, and indeed it works fine.

However, there are multiple issues with it that made me want to ditch traps completely. They are :
- added delay. MA already has a fairly significant delay between shot and explosion. If you add to this the time needed to lay a trap and have it triggered, the delay becomes really long, which hurts clear speed and more importantly the general feeling of the build. I just didn't feel nice to play to me.
- can't aim properly : it's the trap that decides where the arrow will land. There's a fair chance that it will end up
Somewhere stupid, and none that it will land somewhere strategically clever, like in-between or behind packs. Shooting yourself is not only more efficient (per arrow) , it's also also more interesting to play.

- trap laying speed generally slower and harder to scale than attack speed
- needs to be triggered
- risk of destruction (needs clever construction)
- no benefit from trap damage modifiers

(writing still in progress)[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='credits & aknowledgements']I don't claim to have invented or to own any of the concepts used in this build. The idea doesn't even make sense to me to begin with. The only thing that is mine is this post and its contents.

There were multiple people who reported doing similar stuff to this, weeks before this thread came up. I read them and definitely took inspiration from them. Here are some of them :
- 12jfeltes
- PvtSarge
- HalfRadius

I would like to give a special mention to HalfRadius for doing some very valuable testing and bug reporting work before I even started with the build. He is likely to be the reason GGG fixed the mechanics of LL-MA-MI. My first steps with the builds were reported in his thread, and we've also been discussing this stuff together in game.

A lot of people are contributing to the betterment of the build, which I'm pleased to see as a community effort rather than my personal property. I'd like to thank the following in particular :
- Frolamiz for the Ice Shot suggestion and valuable feedback from the Shavs side of things (among others)
- 50miler for coming up with a very handy damage calculation spreadsheet
- Nrdy for lending me some valuable stuff to test with
- my whole guild in general for support and valuable input on many things
- Rhaegar for some more valuable insight and motivating me to go for Atziri
- (more I'm forgetting about, sorry, I'll make sure to add you later)
- pretty much everyone in this thread
[/spoiler]

Missing sections :
-something about BM/Mortal Conviction
-something on defensive layers and quadrants
-a least a few words about leveling
-some more stuff I probably forgot about (as if there weren't enough words in there already)
I'm proud I made the build that got hotfix nerfed by 80% in under a week :
Kamikaze Clones /1204796 (LL Mirror Arrow Instability Prolif)
Last edited by PepprmintButler on Aug 28, 2015, 3:21:40 AM
Last bumped on Jan 25, 2017, 5:30:40 AM
Hmm, 1k evade 0.5k ES armour is "hobo-mode super cheap gear". Wow.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
Hmm, 1k evade 0.5k ES armour is "hobo-mode super cheap gear". Wow.

I knew that would get commented on... I just took the first semi-decent unlinked chest I found in stash.

There's even a caveat right underneath it :
"
If you find the chest too good to be considered trash (although something like that costs a couple of chaos unlinked in torment currently), something with the same ES but zero evasion works about as well.

Here's how terribly expensive it would be to buy :
http://poe.trade/search/unakubananouku
there's a couple of similar to slightly better ones for sale in torment for 10 chaos (one already 4L). I guess that would make it the most expensive piece in the gear set, but still, how hard can it be to come up with 10c ?

Take the eva requirement down to 500 (which doesn't make much of a difference in general build performance) and you have decent pieces going for an alch. Is that cheap enough yet ?
Last edited by PepprmintButler on Feb 19, 2015, 11:32:34 PM
You seem limited by the cooldown of your Mirror Arrow. Have you ever considered using an extra Blink Arrow + Trap + chance to ignite + prolif. It functions just like Mirror Arrow would in trap form but provides extra damage just in case you need it while still on cooldown (which seems like it's often)

Edit: otherwise, great build!
Last edited by 12jfeltes on Feb 19, 2015, 11:39:21 PM
"
12jfeltes wrote:
You seem limited by the cooldown of your Mirror Arrow. Have you ever considered using an extra Blink Arrow + Trap...

I have. I meant to cover the subject in a section about traps that's not written out yet. I was running just the setup you describe a few days ago. There are significant sacrifices you need to make to fit in an extra 4L, and I quickly found myself not using it anyway, because it seemed to me that throwing a trap and waiting for it to trigger wasn't much faster than waiting another second for the MA cooldown to finish.
The cooldown is really annoying when you are doing low content like a Gorge, but in high maps it doesn't bother me much. The annoyances of traps bother me a lot more.

I guess I'll get to writing that traps section now :p

Oh and thanks for the kind words.
"
sherkhan wrote:
Well, it's definitely trashier than the shiesty 650 ES Vaal Regalia he shows for his "expensive" setup.

Hey, don't you diss my pretty Regalia, mkay. It's 5L and shit. :P

That's not even really supposed to be the "expensive" setup though, there's a blank spoiler under there where that will go. (the chest I use in standard is 6L and has a life roll, but not much more ES, so doesn't exactly qualify). A 650 ES 5L chest seems to be enough to take on pretty much anything, so I don't see a need to recommend better.
Have you tested it with 3 dragons helm?
Will that make MI shock instead of burn?
If so what links can work with that?
my builds:
- COLB (Cast On Last Breath) first ever build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1632595
- the Flash: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1367774
- the oro's bridle build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1409823
"
The_x_ile wrote:
Have you tested it with 3 dragons helm?
Will that make MI shock instead of burn?
If so what links can work with that?

Three Dragons says "your x damage does y". That excludes damage dealt by your minions (which MI explosions are).
I'm not sure that would be very useful even it it worked.
If that not working that's great!
Meaning you can use 3 dragons plus pyre and hot hoi combo for freeze shock all screen, plus ignite though enemies.
my builds:
- COLB (Cast On Last Breath) first ever build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1632595
- the Flash: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1367774
- the oro's bridle build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1409823
Last edited by The_x_ile on Feb 20, 2015, 6:25:46 PM
A few updates have been done here and there. Guide is nearing completion (or "close enough" status).
I'm preparing to make a few more videos, and will probably post a good one to reddit next week or so.

My standard test char just hit 88 and is going very strong (like 4 minute courtyard clear strong). I'm debating getting a 6L +3 bow to see how high the damage can go, but that seems very overkill. I also need to add a section about going MF ; I forgot to mention that, but this build lends itself very well to solo MF'ing, considering how low gear requirements are.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info