@GGG questions about Invitational Procedures.

I think its best to clear up some questions about how this is going to work come the end of the season.

1. Is it right to assume that each invitation is unique per account?

I ask this because using last season as an example, we had Throzz and CWU get 4 and 5 signature demis respectively.

On one hand, I would think you would want as many participants as possible (21 signature winners + 20 top 20 point winners, or alts), on the other hand for people like CWU and Throzz it is in their best interest to limit competition as much as they can to increase their chances for winning.

I tend to think the answer is that one invite each, but then we need a clarification of how this process will occur.

Which kind of "winning" takes precedence in the end? It is very conceivable that the top three of Shadow, Sion, Witch, Templar end up being the exact same 3 people, and Duelist and Marauder possibly as well.

Edit: My preference is to give priority to those who have won Demis in the signature races, so in the instance where:

Witch:
3rd place Throzz
4th X - 10 Sig Demis won

Templar:
3rd place Throzz
4th Y - 5 Sig Demis won

The person with 10 gets the spot.

If the tie breaker is based on Demis won, this balances out the relative power imbalances between classes that result in a higher average XP, since Templar seems to be the odds on favorite to have the highest average results right now. This is unfair to someone, but in any scenario there will be something unfair, but if we know now that a tie breaker is based on demis won, or really any other metric, this will allow people time to adjust their playstyle.

2. To clarify, that it is top 2 experience regardless of class.

3. "Invitation event" implies to me that there could be more than one race, if there is more than one or one, this changes how people will approach this event.

4. Any thoughts on providing a nominal amount of points to the first in class for each class subset?

I understand you got 2 packages from Alienware, and thats how this was decided. That said, the fact that I have been racing on Marauder since 2011 ends up counting for nothing just like in the Roccat races at this point is sort of a bummer.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
Last edited by Morsexier on Feb 19, 2015, 2:08:25 PM
I find it pretty disgusting they are bringing real world prizes to races and rank overall. You have to play tendril/trap or leap slam in order to compete for this. Unless you are playing these classes / builds on vanilla and have been for quite some time, you probably will have no chance against people using these as their primary classes.

It just blows my mind how narrow this is actually appealing to if anyone at all in racing.
Terrex, there is still at least a month left until the race. It's more than enough time to learn/practice how to FT/LT on a decent level. You're already playing caster in EL and original Descent. If this race happened back in s5, would you be so mad as well? Don't be a prisoner of the class and spec you play.
http://www.twitch.tv/comewithus

Posted by Chris on February 4, 2014 1:51 AM
"When we mass-ban people for running these tools, don't say you weren't warned :P"
"
cwu wrote:
Terrex, there is still at least a month left until the race. It's more than enough time to learn/practice how to FT/LT on a decent level. You're already playing caster in EL and original Descent. If this race happened back in s5, would you be so mad as well? Don't be a prisoner of the class and spec you play.

I'm not mad about it, just sharing my opinion. Honestly the real world prizes do not do a single thing for me. The karma koinz were cool from pvp but all I did was use it on my gf's poe acc to get a supporter pack lol, but even then I would still rather earn something in this game to show off.

This season is a complete tideover, 3 same structured seasons pasted in a row and it's really taking the toll on me.

I can see people assuming I am upset as I primary ranger and that is definitely understandable but I will say it's not the case. I'd still play ranger in the event. I am switching classes lately just to try to keep me interested to get a binos.
To be clear, I Am upset as a Marauder, even though it plays functionally the same as Duelist, I will never have the same expertise as anyone who has had multiple seasons on it.

I intend to practice since thats my only real chance, I doubt I can learn caster well enough (since we can't practice this race except inside the actual race, sigh), but it is still upsetting.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
Excellent question on determining invites.

20 season point spots
21 sig record spots

What happens if somebody gets more than 1 spot?

I don't know what the best answer is. As Mors said, any way will be unfair to somebody. The most "fair" way I can think of is that some people are just knocked out. Instead of 41 invites, there may only be 30. I'm curious, though, what other people think.

The invitations list is "Anyone who receives an alternate-art Demi."

If you receive more than one alternate-art demi, you will not receive multiple prizes.

The starting point is not x many spots from particular places.

The rule is, earn an alt-art demi, get an invite.

The feedback I am seeing is that our top racers don't want an invitational event, is this correct? If its more about the implementation, let us know what you want invitationals to look like.

Part of the goal was to be fairer with our prize support for our competitive players. There was justified criticism that our racers were not getting prizes, while the PVPers were.

The method of invitation is based on knowing roughly how many invitees we want. We explored the idea of choosing a sub-set of specific events to provide invitations directly, and then having secondary criteria from ladders. However, we couldn't find a way that really worked, and the association with alternate-art demis seemed easy to explain and understand, and reflect what players tend to play towards anyway.

"
Qarl wrote:

The invitations list is "Anyone who receives an alternate-art Demi."

If you receive more than one alternate-art demi, you will not receive multiple prizes.

The rule is, earn an alt-art demi, get an invite.

The feedback I am seeing is that our top racers don't want an invitational event, is this correct? If its more about the implementation, let us know what you want invitationals to look like.

Part of the goal was to be fairer with our prize support for our competitive players. There was justified criticism that our racers were not getting prizes, while the PVPers were.

The method of invitation is based on knowing roughly how many invitees we want. We explored the idea of choosing a sub-set of specific events to provide invitations directly, and then having secondary criteria from ladders. However, we couldn't find a way that really worked, and the association with alternate-art demis seemed easy to explain and understand, and reflect what players tend to play towards anyway.

Thanks very much for the speedy response.

Could you clarify this
"

maybe I am not reading this correctly, but you are saying that we will have this event be limited by purely alternate art winners?

As for the Invitational event, I think people are on board with that though I don't know if I speak for the entire community, I think we do just want clarification about how it will be structed, 4 races like ROCCAT or etc.

Or are you saying we can help determine a way to have the event?

This is a tough question, given we are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole at the moment with 2 prizes vs 7 class (and understandable if thats what was given to GGG).
"
Qarl wrote:

Some for sure like the invitational, I just wish it was done a different way aside from a one race event. Maybe over a few events and with a total amount of points, this can allow for more strategies and even out some of the better rng runs. One race I feel can't really justify some of the skill in racers.

One of the more bothersome things is how some races with just a few changes could be made much more enjoyable overall for everyone. We have had the reasoning of "not enough feedback" for people agreeing on the same notes.. but not a ton of people come to race feedback, at least not much variety.

For the prizes, I am always a hater on real world prizes but that is just my opinion. I love alt arts and mtx to have in game.

Not sure if i qualify as a "top player", but here's my feedback:

Having incentives of any kind are good for racing. If you don't care about the prizes then just ignore them. It's ok if you think the prizes should be awarded differently but being "mad" just because there are prizes, honestly, i don't understand.

I like the idea of giving invitations to sig winners. It is in my opinion the highest form of competition. Yes, it does have RNG just like everything in this game. Its an aRPG after all. If you think sig winners aren't good candidates for invitations then suggest something else... don't just say competition is pointless, its all RNG, skill doesnt matter, there's no point in having prizes.

After the sig winners, it gets harder to pick. I think its natural to give invites to the top 20 but i also like Mors' idea of taking into account the past achievements of a player. One concern is it will give an advantage to players like us who have been racing since closed beta.
It's also a question of how many spots do we want to give. Its easier to define the criteria once we have a rough estimation of how many spots we want.

Like you said, having "invitational spot specific races" raises other problems like proper scheduling. Its harder to make it work imho. What you would end up is something very similar to a "sig race".

The only downside for me is the prize structure. Giving a prize to 7 people (1 for each class) would make the most sense to me but then it would have to be 7 prizes so i can understand why that can't be the case. But again, im glad we have prizes at all.

Overall, im very happy with having an invitational even if i dont participate in it.
I think it drives competition forward and grows the racing scene without being detrimental to anyone (as opposed to not having an invitation at all).
I am probably as surprised as you to see the negative comments here, but maybe there are areas we can improve.

Spoiler

On a side note, i completely understand the balance concerns.
This may seem hypocritical coming from someone who plays caster, but remember that I played witch even when it was the only class that couldnt progress to act3 and farmed western.

Pretty much every class was considered the best at some point in time, the meta will undoubtedly shift and witch will occupy the spot of worst race class sometime in the future.

I don't know if you were around when the razor events happened, but almost everyone played duelist because it was the best class at that time.
Knowing how to "cast spells" was useless for that event.
Unless you are like CWU, proficient with every race spec, things like this will inevitably happen.

My point is, if this is your problem, then complain about the prize structure, not the invitational as a whole.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info