[1.3.x] Kungfooe's [Bloodlines] IronWill Glacial Cascade -- 7.7k Life + 10%+ Regen

Update: The king has fallen. RIP you glorious magnate. I see a rebuild coming next league. :D

The Idea
Glacial Cascade is a hybrid spell--part cold and part physical. Because of this, elemental/cold nodes on the tree only scale the cold portion spell, and physical nodes on the tree only scale the physical portion of the spell. The only types of nodes that scale both portions are spell damage. However, there are few of these nodes on the tree.

Iron Will takes the % increased melee physical damage and applies it as % increased spell damage to spells. Thus, for every 5 str, we get 1% spell damage. Additionally, it is very possible to stack 1000+ strength from the tree and gear (200% spell damage, not to mention +500 life bonus). Because there are few spell damage nodes on the tree and the ability to get a lot of strength, Iron Will makes a nice choice for scaling both the cold and physical portions of the Glacial Cascade spell.

Why No Righteous Fire?

I have been asked "why no Righteous Fire?" in-game as well as here on the forums, so I decided to test it out and see how it did. The essential issue with running Righteous Fire is although it translates to higher tooltip DPS (I had about 9k tooltip with a level 18 Glacial Cascade in a 4L (FC - Echo - IW), it doesn't translate to clearing the map quicker, and the character seemed substantially less tanky. That is, the higher tooltip DPS does not translate to faster clear speeds, and made taking damage much much scarier. What I saw happening is white mobs would die almost instantly, but the blue and rare mobs would still take a little time to kill. So I would still get thumped by blues and rares but didn't have the regeneration to pull my life back up so quickly like I did when not running Righteous Fire.

I think the most important component of these observations is that it made the character go from feeling super tanky to feeling like a paper doll. All of the regeneration that was operating as a defensive mechanic was being used just to keep my life from degenerating when running Righteous Fire. That meant when I got hit, I didn't have my life begin to pop back up immediately with the high regen--my life would just basically sit around where I was knocked down to because all of my regeneration was fighting the burn from Righteous Fire.

It is worth noting that I think a build variant of Righteous Fire could work, but with my current gear and tree I did not find Righteous Fire beneficial for this build.

Gems, Auras, and Links

Main Damage Skill
Glacial Cascade - Spell Echo - Faster Casting - Iron Will - Increased AoE/Concentrated Effect - Concentrated Effect/Increased AoE

The essential 4L is GC - Echo - FC - IronWill. For the 5-th link, I have ran Increasted AoE for clearing regular mobs and swapped to Conc Effect for bosses, but didn't want to deal with switching gems and opted to just run the 4L. I do not think a 5L is necessary for this build, and is just a preference. However, a 6L will boost your damage and clear speed by quite a bit, since you won't have to sacrifice damage for AoE, or AoE for damage.

I've tested the added damage gems as a 5-th link (e.g., quality added lightning, added chaos) but they don't translate as more effective clear speed, despite the tooltip damage boost.

Auras

Herald of Thunder - Herald of Ice - Clarity - Reduced Mana

We cast spells. We want auras that effect spells.

Mobility

Lightning Warp - Reduced Duration - Faster Casting

Our mobility skill. Get it. Use it. Love it.

Cast when Damage Taken Set Up
Cast when Damage Taken - Enduring Cry - Enfeeble - Frost Wall

There are some players who may prefer a different set up, but these are the links I have found most helpful. What I want to stress is that we don't want to blow our endurance charges on an immortal call following Enduring Cry because they a) reduce the physical damage from future physical hits, b) help increase our life regen, and c) they help keep your resists overcapped in the case you get cursed and are face-tanking.

I use Enfeeble to help reduce crits from enemies because I don't have the Unyielding notable in the tree, and crits can really hurt. Additionally, the reduced accuracy it provides helps make the ~1k evasion I have more effective.

I think Frost Wall is the hidden gem (no pun intended) many players do not know about. Not only does it help put a barrier between you an other enemies to help keep you from taking burst damage (e.g., it stops a wave of charging rhoas so you're only hit by the first), but it helps keep the enemies at an ideal distance from you. When you're attacking enemies you want them a short distance away from you so the multiple AoEs from Glacial Cascade can hit them. Essentially, Frost Wall helps you achieve more effective DPS while keeping you safer.

Notes

This is not all of the gem slots in our gear, but I am currently unsure what the most efficient other choices are. I'd be interesting in hearing suggestions and thoughts about how to best use the other slots. I'm currently running a rarity, culling strike spell for some solo MFing (since I tend to run maps solo). What do you think might be best?

Gear Selection
Doon Cuebiyari - The ideal main hand weapon. In addition to the % increased spell damage from the IronWill skill gem, this weapon also scales your damage by 1% for every 8 strength. At 1000 strength this gives us an additional 125% increased damage on top of the 200% increased spell damage from the IronWill skill gem. The % increased damage on Doon applies to both the physical and cold portions of the Glacial Cascade skill, scaling both up.

Alberon's Warpath - the % increased strength is quite powerful once a large amount of strength has been stacked from gear and passives. Once you have begun stacking strength on your gear, this item can end up being as good as a 125+ strength roll on a single piece of gear, a roll not even possible. Long story short, get these boots.

Astramentis - this is a really great amulet for this build. Not only does it give a lot of strength, but the all stats make it so you don't have to worry about grabbing extra dex or int nodes on the tree. Additionally, the 100+ strength is worth 50+ life, so it would be difficult, to find a rare amulet that will give you the same bonuses.

But what if I don't have an Astramentis right now, like at the beginning of a league?

What I would do is find a Turquoise Amulet with explicit Int and Dex rolls on it, as well as pick up the +30 Dex (Expertise) and Int (Ancestral Knowledge) nodes in the tree. This is what I plan to do when starting this character in a fresh economy. This should end up providing you with enough dex and int to use any of the other gems and gear you'll need. Another neck to consider would be Atziri's Foible, as it reduces gem requirements and would provide you with some additional mana regen.

% Increased Life on Items - The 500+ life from having high strength scales very well with % increased life, either in nodes from the skill tree or on gear (e.g., Belly of the Beast, Rathpith). Thus, scaling our life as high as possible means that items with % increased life are very desirable.

Useful Leveling Gear

Although I would recommend leveling as a melee build (e.g., Ground Slam, Molten Strike), I have talked to several players who have leveled as spell casters. If you chose to do so, and using Glacial Cascade, here is some gear that you may find useful.

Stone of Lahazwar

This item gives much needed int, but also has cast speed and mana. Definitely nice for leveling.

Lifesprig

I usually dual-wield these when rush-leveling. The life and mana regen on them is solid enough to keep your spell up and running without really needing any mana pots. Additionally, the spell damage and cast speed between them is really solid to rushing to level 24 where you switch to...

Reverberation Rod

Another solid leveling wand. Not only do you get +1 to your gems, you also get an echo at level 24. I usually switch to a spell damage shield such as
or something with as much spell damage as possible, since you'll be getting solid cast speed with the Echo in the wand.

Of course, there are lots of other "standard" leveling gear pieces (e.g., Goldrim, Wanderlust), but these pieces have seemed to help the players I've talked to level as Glacial Cascade, or a spell of their choice, until they were ready to switch to Glacial Cascade.

Current Gear

Passive Trees

Full Passive Tree - 107 Points and a 4L
http://poeurl.com/zeSCHbj - This is designed with a 4L Glacial Cascade - Faster Casting - Echo - Iron Will in mind.

Full Passive Tree Comments
There is some flexibility with the current tree in mind. If you feel your damage is lacking, there are the three spell damage nodes at the beginning of the Templar area which are solid nodes to pick up if you're just trying to boost your damage.

If you're wanting even more tankiness, the three nodes to Combat Stamina next to the Scion life wheel will give you 1.8% life regen and another 5% max life.

Although it shouldn't be an issue on a 4L, Righteous Degree is 2 points away at the Templar starting area, which will provide an additional 12% reduced mana cost of skills and 22% increased mana. This cluster certainly will be needed once a 6L is obtained, but more of that in the 6L full passive tree.

Full Passive Tree (6L): Coming soon...

Potential Leveling Trees

25 Points
http://poeurl.com/zeSyqJp

40 Points
http://poeurl.com/zeSySJ7

55 Points
http://poeurl.com/zeSzhvV

70 Points
http://poeurl.com/zeSzNDl

85 Points
http://poeurl.com/zeSz4le

100 Points
http://poeurl.com/zeSBCZf

Leveling Tree Comments
I designed these trees with the notion of leveling as a spell caster in mind. If you're leveling melee, I'd spec into a few of the melee damage nodes such as Born to Fight, Butchery, and the melee phys node at the Marauder start. You can respec these points later on when you switch to a spell caster from the quest respec points, or with Regret orbs.

I also pathed to Unrelenting early on because a) you go right past the pair of +30 stat nodes for dex and int, which may be needed during the leveling process, and b) the reduced mana cost is important given how expensive spells can get, and the limited mana regen passives and Clarity early on.

Quest Rewards

Normal - Oak (+40 health)
Cruel - Alira (4% cast speed) or skill point
Merciless - Oak (endurance charge)

I helped Oak in normal because this is a health build and we want as much health as possible. In cruel, I helped Alira for the cast speed because cast speed is lacking in the passive tree. However, killing all of the bandits and taking the skill point is also a good option. In merciless I helped Oak because I want to be able to have 6 endurance charges, which also helps with the build's focus on regeneration (through the endurance charge passive), as well as for damage mitigation.

Defenses and Damage Mitigation

Life Pool: Your number one source of damage mitigation is having a very high health pool. Because of so much health, it makes it difficult (but not impossible) to be one shot, and any stuns are for a short period of time. Couple this with 10%+ life regeneration and it's a very strong defense mechanic for this build.

Reflect: One, because Glacial Cascade is a hybrid skill, it makes it easier to deal with reflect, as only the physical or the cold portion is reflected when you hit a reflect mob. Between armor and endurance charges, the physical reflect is negligible, even in double (and probably triple) physical reflect maps. Elemental reflect is almost negligible, but not quite. If you cast into a large pack, you'll see your health dip slightly, and if you keep casting you can wear it down over time. If you crit, even into a big pack, you may chunk yourself for ~2.5k health or so, but you shouldn't run the risk of one-shotting yourself by a large margin. Although I don't worry about physical reflect on map mods, I do not run elemental reflect, and anticipate that a double elemental reflect crit would chunk your health substantially. However, I do not think it would kill you but have not tested this (and don't plan to given I'm in Bloodlines).

Abbaxoth or Atziri Viable?

First, I want to be clear about how I am using the word "viable" here, as it seems to take on different meanings depending upon the reader. Viable, as it is used in this section, refers to being able to sucessfully work. For example, a map-viable build means that it can successfully complete maps. It makes no claims about the amount of time taken to clear the map, or how rippy the build is.

That being said, I would describe this build as Abbaxoth-viable, and "almost" Atziri-viable.

I have killed Abbaxoth on two separate occasions with this build (one in a 69 map the other in a 73). Granted, they were not the fastest kills compared to other builds that exist, and there were occasions when my health would dip down to ~20%, but on both occassions my character came out on top. Unfortunately, I do not have video of either case, as I wasn't streaming and was just doing some testing when they did occur, and didn't think to turn on the stream/record the fight.

With regards to Atziri, this build can progress all the way to the Atziri fight itself, but it does not do enough "burst" DPS to kill the adds during her heal phases, at least with a level 18 GC on the 4L outlined above (perhaps a level 20 or 21 gem would work, or a 6L?). Thus, every time I would get her health down, she would heal back all of the damage I had done. Thus, I was not able to kill her with this skill. I ended up swapping into a 5L with a level 17 Incinerate to kill her, as well as keep the adds from healing her.

Disclaimer: I had never done Atziri prior to this attempt, and I was able to progress all the way to the Atziri fight itself (i.e., got through double Vaal, trio bosses, blue mobs in between) without too much difficulty. The only scary portion was the trio, because I didn't know who to kill first, second, and third (killed the cyclone boss last, the 10%+ regen in this build carried me HARD).

Demonstration Videos and Stat Screenshots

Stat Screenshots

Offensive Stats (level 18 GC in Doon with FC + Echo)

Defensive Stats

Demonstration Videos

76 Precinct - http://youtu.be/Z0ybpZL6Gw8

71 Strand - http://youtu.be/WayKBz5ITds

74 Precinct Dominus Boss Fight - http://youtu.be/6xfXUM6fGjA

73 Torture Chamber (Zana) Boss Fight http://youtu.be/MmeXqoPPOd4
Notable Map Mods: Ele Weakness, Vulnerability, Immune to Curses

In since 0.8.0
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kungfooe
Last edited by kungfooe on Mar 3, 2015, 12:47:35 AM
Tree, gear, and comments added.
In since 0.8.0
I like the idea of your build. What is your tool tip DPS for GC and how is clearing maps with your build? Any chance of a video?
"
Andy_Hax wrote:
I like the idea of your build. What is your tool tip DPS for GC and how is clearing maps with your build? Any chance of a video?

Thanks for the response and interest!

My current tooltip with a level 18 Glacial Cascade on a 4L in Doon Cuebiyari (Glacial Cascade - Echo - Faster Casting - Iron Will [Level 30 in Doon]) running Herald of Thunder and Ice is 6.2k. With level 20 gems I anticipate this capping out around 7.8k tooltip on a 4L. Once I get a 6L (there are no non-corrupted ones for sale whose sellers have been online recently in Bloodlines, blah) it should top out around 11.5k tooltip, adding Increased AoE and Conc Effect skill gems.

In terms of clear speed for maps, I'm able to run up to about 76 maps with pretty solid clear speed (~10 min a map) with my 4L and level 18 gems. What typically ends up slowing me down is when I encounter a double elemental resistant and phys reduction rare (they can take ~15 seconds or so to kill). After my gems hit 19, and then 20, I imagine I'll be able to run up through 78 maps (and even the Vaal Temple, level 79) if desired. Getting a 6L would make clearing, even the highly resistant rares and bosses, even quicker.

The one caveat is if there are a lot of objects in the environment. Glacial Cascade travels along the ground, so if there is a lot of debris around my map clear time slows down.
In since 0.8.0
yeah, i also just recently found iron will can be very useful on my burning discharge marauder(disregarded this gem so far lol)
nice idea and build
"
prospecial wrote:
yeah, i also just recently found iron will can be very useful on my burning discharge marauder(disregarded this gem so far lol)
nice idea and build

Agreed. I think pure elemental damage skills (e.g., freezing pulse, flameblast, arc) can be scaled more efficiently through the cold/fire/light and elemental nodes on the tree compared to running them with an IronWill setup. Where I think IronWill really shines is when there is limited ways to scale a particular type of spell or damage that can be applied to spells (e.g., hybrid spells like Glacial Cascade, added chaos damage to spells). In Invasion I made an IronWill Chaos Incincerator (Apep's and Added Chaos gem). It had very high life (~6600) and survivability (could tank pre-nerf Ossicotti with granite/ruby flasks up) and did really solid damage (I think the tooltip was ~3.5k with GMP if I remember correctly, about half of it chaos damage). I could alch and go on 78 maps as long as there wasn't half/no regen as well. I never ran Atziri with that character, but I'm confident it would do well there too.

In a nutshell, I think IronWill is best-suited for skills that are not pure elemental damage skills, as there are many more fire/cold/light and elemental damage nodes on the tree compared to spell damage.
In since 0.8.0
Oh man you made my day, I wanted so hard to make a build on marauder with glacial cascade since i ripped my char today...and then I found this post ! I'm gonna give it a try right now :D !!!! Thanks dude I will give some feedbacks.

Edit: Could you add bandits choice and that stuff :D? thx!
Last edited by yota on Feb 2, 2015, 9:24:37 PM
Glad I made your day. :D

I'm definitely interested in feedback, especially with higher-level mapping. Let me know what your experience was leveling and mapping.

Hope it goes well and good luck!
In since 0.8.0
Gem set ups and quest rewards added. Formatting adjusted. Enjoy!
In since 0.8.0
Last edited by kungfooe on Feb 3, 2015, 10:03:58 AM
10%+ regen, why not going with RF for more spell damage?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info