Tristram Hideout 3.0

Really well themed hideout and a great idea for a tribute.

My one and only critique is that you overuse lighting a bit which is causing the shadows in the hideout to fuck up a bit. This is especially noticeable in the cathedral around the fellshrine ruins.

Even then you manage to get a great atmosphere in the whole hideout :)
Path of Hideout fanatic.
King Arthur and the Exiles of the Round table:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l1OZlysRNY
The Cults of the Dragon and the Colossus:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QcSK9UCIzE
"
Jernsaxe wrote:
My one and only critique is that you overuse lighting a bit which is causing the shadows in the hideout to fuck up a bit. This is especially noticeable in the cathedral around the fellshrine ruins.

This is true, getting the lights "right" has been difficult and still some may not like the result. At least i avoided the big black blocks that sometimes appear if you use too much lights.:D
"
Martox29A wrote:

This is true, getting the lights "right" has been difficult and still some may not like the result. At least i avoided the big black blocks that sometimes appear if you use too much lights.:D

One way to work around it is to use fewer but bigger light sources (like cauldron, fireplace, shore bonfire). If you want a slightly darker look you can also use the "birdcage" (the circular one from zana that looks nothing like a birdcage) it got a weak blue light that works well with fellshrines.
Path of Hideout fanatic.
King Arthur and the Exiles of the Round table:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l1OZlysRNY
The Cults of the Dragon and the Colossus:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QcSK9UCIzE
I used some shore bonefires in the last area, to achieve that infernal look, you can see them burning in the rocks. Unfortunatly they didn't fit the feel of the cathedral area, so i had to use more conventional lighting there.

What i didn't know is that Zana's birdcage has a blue light, i'm definitely going to try that out! Tnx for the tip.:D
I just saw your submission on the Themed HO Contest, and man, it is really well done! :)
the contrast between the living area and the hell, mmm, /bravo :)
Playing for joy ♥

If interested, check out my Hideout(s): /view-thread/2226019
I love how eveyone says "Wow, i love d2 so much nice hideout" when this is a Diablo1 recreation. lol.

Honestly, apart from the fountain that is too high and griswolds shop i can't see any resemblance.

It still looks really good tho
Last edited by ItsRay on Sep 18, 2015, 3:26:15 PM
"
Moribundus wrote:
I just saw your submission on the Themed HO Contest, and man, it is really well done! :)
the contrast between the living area and the hell, mmm, /bravo :)

Glad you liked it! I'm particularly fond of the fact that you noticed one of my main creative intents: to create distinct areas, each with their own style, instead of sticking to the same style and color pattern for the whole HO.

"
ItsRay wrote:
I love how eveyone says "Wow, i love d2 so much nice hideout" when this is a Diablo1 recreation. lol.

That's only half true i guess. The town of tristram was certainly inspired by D1, that is probably the most iconic pice of ambientation of the whole diablo series, i couldn't miss it.
Other areas, on the other hand, were inspired by D2 and D3 as well. The cemetery is there in all Diablo games, but the catherdal, wrecked and with no roof, is more similar to D3 than D1 (apart for craters). The hellish area was intended to be a mix of the D1 fiery hell (flames, embers) and the D2 infernal wastes (with tortured souls, bones and all). The small heavenly prelude to hell is inspired by the pandemonium fortress as seen in D2.
It's kind of a big mix in my mind, the final result it's not 100% accurate, as you noticed, but i think it's a nice place to call home even without the whole Diablo series reference.
Hi there,

How did you create this? I want too!!! :D

This is definitely the best hideout I've ever seen...

well done! I like all the details

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info