Rain and Load Times

"
DestroTheGod wrote:
Ok, as somebody who is extremely heavily inconvenienced by rain, I'm the expert to chime in on this subject here. When I enter raining areas, there is a SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT loading experience for me. Here are facts for me:

I believe you and think they are missing something. Video it. I mean a video of you (or anyone else this gets) going to springs and pier would pretty much be an open and shut case.
"
DestroTheGod wrote:
The cause, reasoning, what is going on, I have no idea. Maybe it's something specific to my system or having integrated graphics? I don't know. I've already gotten over this issue and just play around it (as I have had no choice).

The machine I tested on also has integrated graphics (Intel HD 5000).
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
Kaysee wrote:
"
DestroTheGod wrote:

I don't know what system you guys tested on, or what left you with those conclusions, but if I could loan you my laptop, you would say 'holy shit this is annoying' every time you try to join a rainy map.

Have you always played POE on that same laptop? Have you played it on any other systems and experienced the same issue?

I see you joined in May 2012... if you've been using your laptop for those 2 and 1/2 years it is quite a long time to be using the same piece of hardware, especially for a laptop.

Cheers.

The system is a control. It doesn't matter what systems I have or anything as this is a system independent test. All system related details are actually 100% irrelevant.

To clarify, 'on my system', I experience more loading length in rainy areas rather than in non-rainy areas. I do not think it would be wise to compare loading length on my system with that of another system.

But yeah, my laptop is like 5 1/2 years old now and counting. ^^. I didn't use it for around 4 years though as I had a desktop previously so it's used life is like 1 1/2.

"
Barivius wrote:
I believe you and think they are missing something. Video it. I mean a video of you (or anyone else this gets) going to springs and pier would pretty much be an open and shut case.

Good idea. On it.

inb4 I get perfect load times on every map. (rofl, very unlikely tho)
"
Chris wrote:
"
DestroTheGod wrote:
The cause, reasoning, what is going on, I have no idea. Maybe it's something specific to my system or having integrated graphics? I don't know. I've already gotten over this issue and just play around it (as I have had no choice).

That probably deserves some kind of bravery award, "Willingly chose to test on Integrated Graphics."
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
I don't notice a load time difference, but the zones with rain always have a bit more desync than others for me - Ledge/Caves/anywhere without rain, desync is extremely rare (for me)

In rain areas there are more spots where desync strikes
If there was an option *just* to disable rain, this would be a great option.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Thats cool to see something will be done about the rain.
I dont have too much problem with loading time ,probably because of my ssd, but its sure make my fps drop a lot just after the loading, during like 30s/1 minute my fps are terrible.

i have a screenshot that can show it :

Spoiler

in sewer my fps were ok and the rain area make my fps going very low and with spikes.

If i just start the game its ok, it wont happen as bad. but if i play for more than 1 hour or if i have load a lots of area before, it will do that every time. in all area who have rain.

my computer is old (intel dual core e6600, 8 go ram, hd 6870, and poe install on the ssd)but the game was running better for me in open beta than now.

i have other screenshots :

Spoiler

Sorry if i m a bit off topic, because my problem is not really loading time, but the period just after.
Last edited by Honda777 on Jan 27, 2015, 9:00:18 PM
"
Chris wrote:

Rain made no noticeable difference to the load time of the area

Of course it does not, until you actually start playing.

I have a new computer now, doesn't affect as much....but before....it could lag you to death.

"Particle Death"....JUST GIVE EVERYONE THE OPTION TO TURN IT OFF IS WHAT THEY ARE SAYING.

JUST GIVE EVERYONE THE OPTION TO TURN IT OFF IS WHAT THEY ARE SAYING.

Or am I saying something that is brand new? How about this:

GIVE PLAYERS THE OPTION TO REDUCE LAG CAUSING GRAPHIC EFFECTS.

I shouted as loud as I can, but can only help that the deaf ears can read lips.
-Time to be funny. The world needs funny right now! Warning: "Might" get you muted.

25 Exalts...oh God my stupidity stuck! Now onto 25 Divines...
"
Chris wrote:
"
DestroTheGod wrote:

FTR, you do state the following in your FAQ:

"
At least 2GB of RAM is recommended, and older Integrated Graphics Cards will not run well.
Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
"
Chris wrote:
It's absolutely true that rain does cause additional graphical overhead when rendering frames. We're looking at ways to reduce this!

Good news, as that has ALWAYS been my problem. Maybe you can get dominus FPS over 5 for all of us so people like me won't have to buy dominus kills in HC.
We fight to delay the end because it's the means that matter.
"
Chris wrote:
"
DestroTheGod wrote:

I for one haven't had any particular issues with rain itself, but i do thank you for looking into this. I'm currently running I7 3610qm nvidia gt 640m 6g ram, SSD. However i've still long loading times for rain zones. Not that long, but still very noticible. So i do see why users have issues with rain.

With that said a comparison with hd5000 isn't rly fair, Hd5000 is almost comparable to my 640m card...

I got tired of lower fps and issues so my current temp solution is OCing and as we all know that's not realy good for laptops, Altho my temps are fine at the moment.

But an option to turn of rain/particle effects would help alot i think. If i don't OC my game runs average on 30-40fps with OC 200fps dips to 30 soon as i use my incinerate skill. But mostly steadily 50-60fps WITH OC.

My issue is though, is that i can run most of the recent games at medium, in some cases High/ultra with no issues at all.

So in my honest opinion i shouldn't have to resolve to OC to run this game smoothly. As my specs is more than viable for this game. Granted i know i'm playing on an "inferior" setup due using my laptop. But a gaming laptop should be able to run this game with bare minimum laggs imo.

With all this wall of text, unintended i meant to say that i think rain/particle stuff do for sure affect overall performannce.

Excuse my grammar etc, not an native english speaker. :)

Also the sound thing i do think matters the most, with NS command i've rarely fps drops at all. with sound on i spike quite alot (for me a spike is 100+ down to 30 immedietly and stays here for awhile)

And lastly thanks for making the best successor of d2!! :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info