Mechanics thread

A question about sources of avoidance and how they interact with crit.

Block
Blind
Evade
Dodge

^ Which of the above get factored into the "crit avoidance" roll? The current explanation on the front page is pretty vague on this point:

"
Malice wrote:
Evasion also gives a chance to avoid critical strikes. If an incoming critical strike succeeds its hit roll, a second hit roll is performed to determine if the critical is evaded or not. This second roll is the same as the regular hit roll above (accuracy vs evasion). If this roll succeeds, a critical strike is scored. If it fails, the attack still hits, but only for regular damage.

Others may think I'm grasping at straws here, but to me it's very unclear exactly how much power this crit avoidance feature adds to evasion. It'd be really cool to know which of the above avoidance mechanisms come into play for that second roll.

It could be the answer is "just evasion rating." That'd be what I expect, but this one has been nagging me a while.

Thanks!
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Nov 5, 2012, 6:13:48 PM
An attack which crits must roll it's chance to hit (from accuracy/evasion) again in order to actually crit.

Dodge and block have nothing to do with it.

Blind is not separate from evasion, it's a penalty to hit chance, and thus applies when rolling hit chance to hit or to crit.
Thanks a lot! makes sense to me.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
can someone breakdown how projectile speed compares/interacts with damage please.
"
bingobill wrote:
can someone breakdown how projectile speed compares/interacts with damage please.
It doesn't?
"
bingobill wrote:

The only skill that I know that is effected by this are skills that have damage effected by range.

I believe freezing pulse is effected by this.
think you are talking about point blank, then in freezing pulse's case: freeze chance.
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:

If I have (sadly I don't) the Shield Titucus Span, and the Amulet Stone of Lazhwar,
will the 25% added block chance to projectiles be added before or after the spell block chance?
As in, if I have 30% block chance, and half block chance against spells, and I'm hit by a spell projectile, is the block chance (30%/2)+25% = 40%, or is it (30%+25%)/2= 27.5%?

I think this kinda got dropped among other discussions. Has anyone answered that already and I just misunderstood and didn't know he answered that question?
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
the titus span gives a flat +25% projectile evasion while the ammy is 50% of your normal block chance is added as block chance for spells only.
only times in game where there is both spells and projectiles are monsters who use actual spells that we would that are also projectiles. fireball, sparks, freeze pulse (the mage squid, think i'm wrong on this one). the skeleton mages balls count as spells while most other ranged attacks are just arrows (projectiles).

so for the both case, the game will roll spell chance + projectile (i'm 25% sure i'm wrong =p). for just projectile they count as normal attacks still so, chance is normal block + projectile. for just spell it is just spell block.
using your example number:
projectile spells: 40% block chance
projectile: 75%
spell: 15%
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:

If I have (sadly I don't) the Shield Titucus Span, and the Amulet Stone of Lazhwar,
will the 25% added block chance to projectiles be added before or after the spell block chance?
As in, if I have 30% block chance, and half block chance against spells, and I'm hit by a spell projectile, is the block chance (30%/2)+25% = 40%, or is it (30%+25%)/2= 27.5%?

I think this kinda got dropped among other discussions. Has anyone answered that already and I just misunderstood and didn't know he answered that question?
It adds additional block chance against projectiles, not additional spell block chance. It is added to your block chance when calculating block from a projectile. Then if that projectile is a spell projectile, half of your regular block chance (which against projectiles includes the additional 25%) is used as spell block chance.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info