Let's talk about PvP

Why is PvE required to be able to compete in PvP? PvP should be completely separated from PvE. The outcome of a PvP fight should only be decided by player skill and how good their build is, not by how many exalts they spent on their gear. Right now there are about 40-50 players per event. Remove the PvE requirement and you will see thousands.
"
GreenDude wrote:
I am extremely happy Chris wrote this. I hope this post will satisfy everyone and put the negativity to rest.

Ha, wishful thinking.
The problem I have with PvP is that I feel a significant portion of the PvE balance in 1.3 is because of PvP. Most of this balance (changes to certain items/passives, etc.) I do not agree with. While skills can be changed for PvP without affecting PvE, I feel PvP and PvE still interact too much with each other in terms of items, passives, and general balance. I will never play PvP simply because of how it is all about having good gear and I play mostly self-found. I just wonder how many people actually play PvP and what percentage of the active player base that number is, cause that's the percentage of people the bulk of the 1.3 content was designed for.
"
otinanai2 wrote:
Why is PvE required to be able to compete in PvP? PvP should be completely separated from PvE. The outcome of a PvP fight should only be decided by player skill and how good their build is, not by how many exalts they spent on their gear. Right now there are about 40-50 players per event. Remove the PvE requirement and you will see thousands.

Because that isn't what they are going for. If they try to make a full balanced pvp system they are basically competing against all pvp games out there and would have to invest a ton more resources. The way it is now pvp adds to pve by creating an extra incentive to farm and trade, is still fun for those interested while taking minimal resources to implement.
When I kill a man he stays dead.
"
mucker wrote:
"
otinanai2 wrote:

Because that isn't what they are going for. If they try to make a full balanced pvp system they are basically competing against all pvp games out there and would have to invest a ton more resources. The way it is now pvp adds to pve by creating an extra incentive to farm and trade, is still fun for those interested while taking minimal resources to implement.

... what PvP games? PvP died in 2003 when Trials of Atlantis was released and DAoC added forced PvE into PvP.

Right now PvP in PoE requires PvE and/or trading. It will never be taken seriously until PvP is just PvP.
The more people that you can cater to and get to play the game, without sacrificing your main goals, is good for everyone playing this free game. Keep up the good work.
"
DestroTheGod wrote:
Those without faith are unowrthy. PRAISE BE

QFT, with spelling error and all.

Peace,

-Boem-

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
The problem I have with PvP is that I feel a significant portion of the PvE balance in 1.3 is because of PvP.

This isn't the case. If you are thinking of block, that was already planned to be nerfed. It trivialized doing atziri.

PvE and PvP can be balanced separately. One does not always affect the other.
IGN - WazaBaza
The big problem is the gear disparity. In a race, it's skill and RNG based - everyone starts on the same playing field. In PvP, it's like doing a race where other people start at level 100 (in some cases, literally) and have access to essentially unlimited wealth and gear to make the perfect killing machine.

If all I have is a little bit of gear I've thrown together, I am going to lose. This is fine for stuff like maps where people pour thousands of hours into their characters, but in this particular competitive environment the barrier for entry is too high to bother.
IRON MAN
I agree there is no point in me as a newish player to even try pvp when I'm competing with guys who have an essentially unlimited budget.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info