[1.3]KuteKitteh's Evasive Flameblast - Cheap, fast clear, reflect-immune, HC-viable!

Being so evasive that it eludes death - #justKuteKittehthings

KuteKitteh's Thoughts & The Build Concept
Spoiler
Ever since the block nerf, I had been seeking ways to make builds tanky, and EB + Cloak of Defiance was the prime go-to choice. After a while, however, I started to theorycraft non-MoM builds, which can exploit costly auras and the Acrobatics keystone.

In staying true to my recent trend of playing around with fire spells (and in light of my horrible failure of an attempt to make a viable 100%-pierce Fireball build), I decided to make a Flameblast build. The nature of Flameblast, however, made high physical and elemental defenses a must-have.

With that in mind, I stacked a curious set of defense mechanisms, namely:
-Acrobatics + Phase acrobatics
-Evasion (via Grace)
-Arctic Armour
-Saffell's Frame
-Cloak of Flame
-Purity of Fire

The end result: an amazingly low death count of 0.

So why and how does the build work?

When I take physical damage (let's say a 1000 damage hit), the following happens:
40% of the time, I dodge it.
30% of the time, I evade it.

Therefore, only 42% of those attacks will go through. Assume I get hit:
For ease of calculations, I’m going to ignore the 15 damage that my armor will block. The 1000 damage gets converted to 800 physical and 200 fire damage by CoF. The 200 fire damage is mitigated by my 82% fire res to 36 damage before being completely blocked by Arctic Armour. The physical damage aspect will be likewise mitigated by AA. Depending on the level of AA, only ~650 physical damage will go through.

The net boost to eHP versus physical damage rivals that of a 1.2 block/MoM build.

So how is it reflect resistant? I have a 30% chance to dodge the reflected damage and a 13% chance to block it, so there’s only a 61% chance for the reflected damage to go through. The 18% reflect is mitigated by my 82% fire resist, which further drops it by 18%. Therefore, the reflected damage is only 3.24%, which is further mitigated by Arctic Armour.
Example: Let’s say I charge up a 10k damage Flameblast and I hit 5 enemies that have 0% fire resist. On average, 3 of them will reflect 324 damage, and let’s say AA cuts down 120 damage each. Therefore, the net reflect from dealing 5x10k damage is 600.

As long as I keep the flameblast charges within 4 stages, I won’t feel any reflect. If I just want to kill a reflect rare fast, then I pop a ruby and charge all 10 stages, and it will only reflect ~100-200 damage at most as long as there aren’t many nearby enemies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Build Highlights
Spoiler
-Eldritch Battery, Acrobatics, Phase Acrobatics
-Reflect-resistant
-Arctic Armor
-Grace, Purity of Fire
-82/79/79 resist
-Super cheap
-Extremely durable
-Hardcore-viable

Videos
Spoiler
http://youtu.be/R-7I6LYOU-o
Zana fracture map.

http://youtu.be/fHQpR8aPljk
Reflect demo.

More to come as I farm maps and get higher-level maps.

Pros and Cons
Spoiler
Pros:
-Resistant to elemental reflect
-Extremely mobile and evasive, takes in much less damage
-Super cheap, completely affordable, new-league viable
-Beginner-friendly
-Doesn’t need leech of any kind
-HC-viable

Cons:
-Not invincible
-Damage is somewhat subpar without Doryani's Catalyst
-Extremely reliant on flasking!

Stats, lvl81 character
Spoiler

As you can see, I clearly don't have all the HP nodes I need. Somehow, 3-3.5k HP has been enough to get me through the rippiest of maps, including a no-regen map and a double-merveil necropolis.

"Wait, but this is a squishy build!"

0 deaths bruh, 0 deaths. By nature, it is not squishy.

Passives
Spoiler
Bandits:
N: Oak
C: Passive
M: Passive

Level 90 tree

Important: Read through all the notes please!

After you finish the level 90 tree, you can either grab more health via scion life wheel or you can grab damage via shadow.

I specifically constructed the tree to several specifications. The first was that it must be able to achieve a high amount of dexterity and evasion to synergize with Grace. While some of you might object to pathing out of the way for the Revenge of the Hunted circle (as opposed to going to Acro via Blood Drinker), I checked all the pathways and tradeoffs and concluded that, with the current setup, the complete Revenge of the Hunted circle results in a net 37% more evasion for 3 points, which I believe is completely worth the cost because that 37% more evasion is huge for phys eHP.

I didn't get Celestial judgment/punishment because it was too far out of the way and the build doesn't really need any more damage nodes. I also didn't get Breath/Heart of Flames for the same reason.

Although I originally spec'd into Written in Blood, I later concluded that, because the build runs a Cloak of Flame and a Saffell along with Acro's 50% less ES penalty, it just doesn't get enough ES out of that +25% ES. Revenge of the Hunted, Devotion, or Constitution are much stronger for those 4 points.

The build is viable with a Templar, Shadow, or Scion start.

During the leveling phase, I would rush the shadow side before immediately going for all the mana regen nodes on the templar side.

Gear and Items
Spoiler
Required items

Cloak of Flame. That sucker cost me 2c but it came 4linked, and it cost me 145 jewls and 5 fusing to 6s5l it. A 4-link works perfectly fine though, and I mapped a lot with a 4 link and it wasn't bad.

The Saffell is for elemental resistances. It makes the build significantly sturdier against elemental bosses like Piety or Merveil.

Helmet, Gloves, Boots

30% movement speed boots is priority due to the mobile nature of this build. High-tier life rolls are recommended, resistances are always a must, and good evasion/ES is a bonus.

I highly recommend running Aurseize, that thing directly increases income by a huge margin and the stats aren't half bad.

Weapon

I recently upgraded from a Lifesprig to this beauty of a hitter. I'm going to craft fire leech on it later for quality-of-life, but it's definitely not a necessity for survival.

If you can afford it, a Doryani's Catalyst is simply the best thing for the build because of the insane amount of elemental damage it has to offer.

Jewelry

Life and resists, if possible. Mana regen is a huge plus. All of the stuff here are either self-found or cheap junk.

Flasks

My flasks are obviously not optimized, but it's more than enough to somehow keep me alive. If I could, I would run:
Catalyzed Eternal Life Flask of Staunching
Seething Divine Life Flask of Grounding
Perpetual Granite Flask of Iron Skin
Perpetual Ruby Flask of Warding
Ample Quicksilver Flask of Heat

That way, I can dispel freeze, shock, and bleed. The Granite flask is for EK enemies (e.g. Jungle Valley or the EK Rogue) or when I'm expecting hard hits; although the 50% less modifier from Acro is still in effect, it's better than nothing and it synergizes fairly well with CoF.

Gems
Spoiler
Flameblast
1. Elemental Proliferation
2. Chance to Ignite
3. Fire Penetration

If you have a 5th link on your CoF, Spell Echo is the best choice. From then on, I recommend Concentrated Effect.

During boss fights, you can take off Elemental Proliferation and use Concentrated Effect. I would do that if I had a conc effect gem :P

Auras
Clarity
Grace
Reduced Mana
Purity of Fire

Until you get all the mana nodes, Acrobatics will make it fairly tough to run Purity of Fire. I didn't get around to running PoF until level 70 or so, but that was on my sub-optimal tree.

CWDT
Enduring Cry
Immortal Call
Optional: Temporal Chains

If you ask me what level these should be, I would recommend 7/9/8/9, respectively. The Temp Chain on damage is very strong because it gives you a huge advantage in mobility and it lets you flask better under pressure.

Optional: Flame Surge
1. Fire Penetration
2. Spell Echo
3. Concentrated Effect or Faster Casting

You can choose to run Flame Surge if you want a mop-up spell for those lone, low-HP mobs. It's a quality-of-life thing, and if I had a BRGG helmet I wouldn't run this.

Optional: CWDT AB
CWDT
Arctic Breath
GMP
Blind

The AOE chill and blinding effect of this setup synergizes extremely well with the temp chain setup and further ehances the evasive nature of this build. Keep CWDT and AB at level 1, since the damage of AB doesn't matter. We just want the chilled ground and the blind on hit.

Others:
Elemental Weakness/Flammability
Arctic Armour
Lightning Warp + Reduced Duration

Your basic cookie-cutter spellcaster kit. An offensive spell, AA for tanking junk, and Lightning Warp for mobility.
[2.2] KuteKitteh's CI EA Regen Tank - Durable w/10k ES, instant clear, EZ-Atziri, affordable!: /1625757
Last edited by KuteKitteh on Jan 1, 2015, 10:08:17 PM
post reserve
[2.2] KuteKitteh's CI EA Regen Tank - Durable w/10k ES, instant clear, EZ-Atziri, affordable!: /1625757
can you run incinerate instead of flameblast with this build
dps on this build ? whats your highest map you have done so far ? does everything die fast ?
"
Lopomon wrote:
can you run incinerate instead of flameblast with this build
Yea, if you take out the ignite aspects and modify the tree to accommodate for cast/projectile.

"
mopzi wrote:
dps on this build ? whats your highest map you have done so far ? does everything die fast ?
Flameblast doesn't really have a tangible DPS because so much of its damage is reliant on burn, which has the advantage of dealing damage while you're moving (i.e. not actually "DPSing").

I've done 75 maps (e.g. Necropolis Merveil) with it, that was the highest map a friend had. My own map pool is pretty mediocre so I can't test any higher than that.

I uploaded a Waste Pool Fracture demo to demonstrate both the killing potential and the tanking potential.
I am going to be trying this in Bloodlines I will make a post noting on my progress and how the build is feeling
pls add exp skill trees on lvl 20-40-60-80
cool build.

Question: How would you compare this to your 100k+ tanky incinerate in terms of:

-survivability
-clear speed
-single target
-AOE

I like both of your builds, just deciding which one to play :) My budget is ~20 exa
does it work with a rathpith globe aswell or does it need to be a shaffels
"
moniek909 wrote:
pls add exp skill trees on lvl 20-40-60-80
It should be fairly self-explanatory. It's hard to go wrong with leveling the build.

"
broseidon07 wrote:
cool build.

Question: How would you compare this to your 100k+ tanky incinerate in terms of:

-survivability
-clear speed
-single target
-AOE

I like both of your builds, just deciding which one to play :) My budget is ~20 exa

Survivability: This build is in fact a little more survivable because you have the option of kiting a particularly strong enemy and still deal burn damage. I've killed plenty of rogues just from the ignite damage of one flameblast, that lets me run around and not die. The distance and mobility factor plays a huge role in this build's survivability. However, this build is extremely reliant on flasking to stay alive since there's virtually no source of leech.

Clear-speed wise, this is faster in some aspects (e.g. strongboxes, fracture, etc) because the burn kills fairly fast. However, this build is much weaker against elemental resistances so single-target on enemies with Blessing of the Elements + resists elemental damage will take 2 or more flameblasts to kill. The Incinerate build has much better single-target DPS because it can shotgun, so clear times can be faster on the Incinerator because of that.

AOE-wise, both are about the same. Incinerate is limited by projectile speed, this one is limited by the prolif range on flameblast. The one advantage that this build has in terms of AOE is that you can put the AOE anywhere you like (including off-screen) whereas the starting point for an Incinerate's "AOE" is on the caster.

All in all I would say the Incinerate build is much more fun, albiet a tad costlier. This one is just a very cheap build that's designed to be extremely survivable on a very limited budget.

"
mopzi wrote:
does it work with a rathpith globe aswell or does it need to be a shaffels
I highly recommend Saffell. Rathpith doesn't do much for this build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info