Enki's Arc Witch Memorial Page

"

One question...why would this not apply to those of us using lightning spire? Assuming we are still using storm brand, too, of course.

Didn't occur to me that you would do that, my thought process was you have one or the other(what do you drop to have both LST and SB?).
It's probably how i got the idea in the first place when i switched to SB as main skill and LST for single target, since i didn't need to apply shock with the trap EF was the clear winner in terms of dps vs most other gems i considered, though still less than conc effect and the specific trap/mine dmg ones mind you.

@jih165 Boss swap gem is what i meant in the first place, the time that i decided to swap to SB full on and not use Arc at all was after a 350~ depth Aul with onslaught and increased speed had me dodging 80% of the time instead of casting Arc and during the whole time he was getting slowly chipped away by my utility storm brand, which with increased duration and frequent recast(casting Arc was very dangerous a lot of times due to spell echo) i figured i had it on him 95% of the time probably and had that been my main damage spell it would have been way better, but that's a totally different discussion in itself.
Overall with inc duration and especially on Phased Bosses(so like all of them) casting a couple of brands(one on top of the boss and a few random in places where he might go vs for example Shaper) generally applies it for the entire fight in my experience and given the nature of Self-cast Arc and you having the choice(sometimes) when to deal damage, it might be worth popping a brand to get the shock/chill in and then DPS away with Arc.

First of all thanks again to Enki, Big and all the folks taking time to answer the posts. It's my first league and I've learned more about the game from this thread than anywhere else.

Just got my first dagger and switched from wands and I have to say whirling blades is awesome. I don't think I ever want to play without it. Assuming arc does not get nerfed into the ground was thinking about going SSF next league with the standard build - but that makes crafted daggers probably out of the question. I think I may have to rethink that.

Anyhow, my question is about the lightning spire setup. I am having trouble figuring out how I should be using the traps. Explanation: after some basic crafting i ended up with these:

That seems like a reasonable start. However, when I try to use the traps, i often end up doing less damage than if i just spammed arc. the reason is trap placement and trap delay. I can throw 3 traps, after that there's an 8 second recharge to get another one. Unless a mob steps on the trap, there's a delay before the trap goes off. So often i place traps, the mob wanders off and the trap goes off on nothing. then I spend time flitting around until the trap recharges and again throw a trap off into futility. Even when I do manage to hit something with trap damage, it does not seem to be doing significantly more than arc. It seems my time would have been better spent just hitting the arc button. Granted, i love putting the traps under a strongbox, activating it and dashing away, but clearly I'm not using it correctly on bosses and other large encounters.

so what am I doing wrong, is the setup correct? obviously this is a case of "LTP Noob", but what exactly should I be doing different? only throw one trap, rather than all three at the beginning of a fight, so you can keep a more steady stream of them? just practice trap positioning? for that matter, where can you practice? I'm still only running around in T13/14 maps and most things just melt with arc alone. (syndicate guys are staying in their lab - me no like them)

Thanks for your help and again for the excellent guide

Jules

Hi,

Could you please have a look at my gear? I know that next step is chest, i have loreweave in my stash, just needs linking.

What then? What should I focus on improving ? For now the usual problem - bosses :)

Thanks in advance
B
which of these also to apply us (bc of spiritual aid)?

minions have increased attack speed
minions have increased cast speed
minions deal additional lightning damage

thanks
1 & 2 for sure no.

Not sure about additional lightning damage.
Why does this build have 5 minion nodes in the tree? That seems like 5 wasted points. 6, if you include the 1 travel node.
"
GoldenGonzo wrote:
Why does this build have 5 minion nodes in the tree? That seems like 5 wasted points. 6, if you include the 1 travel node.

The last minion node has text that says, all the increased damage to minions, are actually moved over to the character.

Meaning, every mod that has X% increased damage to minions, actually is X% increased damage to our character.
Read the discussion - last 2 pages are about this :)

Spiritual aid - damage increase attribute to minions apply to main character.
"
subcutan wrote:

thanks

"
bartpio wrote:
1 & 2 for sure no.

can anyone confirm this or could this possibly be a cheap way to boost dps?
"
subcutan wrote:
Spoiler
"
subcutan wrote:

thanks

"
bartpio wrote:
1 & 2 for sure no.

can anyone confirm this or could this possibly be a cheap way to boost dps?

I can confirm that neither of these modifiers increase character DPS if used in conjunction with Spiritual Aid.

In general, if the modifier isn't explicitly worded as "Minions deal #% increased/decreased damage", it almost certainly won't work. Even then you have to keep in mind what the modifier affects (see Infernosaint's explanation for Minion Damage support gem).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info