[1.3] Wanderfully Balanced Kinetic Blaster

Very excited to try this. Leveling currently with static strike and all my gems in weapon swaps and the like, itching to get higher and try this out.

I too spent hours trying to scour all the various builds out there, tweaking them for a scion start (#masterportraitscions4life) and trying to make a mana build work. While I am generally not a big fan of Blood Magic (though I love the concept of it. See Dragon Age games), I'm going to branch out and try this build out. Tweaked your build slightly to fit my personal needs as I play in the temp HC leagues only, and really excited to try this.

The Spell Totem/Frost Wall I think is brilliant. I was initially planning on CoC/FW but one downside is that you can sometimes box yourself in with all the chaining Frost Walls, and sure there's lightning warp, but in close quarters like Merveil in maps, it can get a little hinky very fast.

IGN- Vyvanne | Voxxvi (Tempest League)
Vyvanne's Odds and Bods Boutique - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1311497
"
RaivokasMagma wrote:
I'm determined to make this build, that I asked my friend to give me enough fusings to 5 link Voll's Protector. Gave him good armour and then traded Abyssus for his Facebreaker build in return.

What do you think about Piscator's Vigil? It has been in my stash for a long time and it would be nice use it on some build someday.

I doubt that it won't work, because build doesn't seem to be reliant on elemental damage. I'll try it out, when charatcer is level 65. Still leveling with Lighting Tendrils.

I thought about a Vigil build for a long time too! It was a hard decision but in the end I decided to go physical.

Reasons I wanted to go Piscator:

- I was playing Torment, so wasn't sure about availability of Wands with decent phys + crit (luckily they weren't hard to get and were cheap)
- It means I could save points on some of the phys clusters (Elder Power Ring).
- It just looked like a fun wand and I never have done a Vigil build.

Reasons I ended up going physical:

- To go Piscator I think it is mandatory to get HoI, HoL, Anger and Wrath to take advantage of the elemental bonus on the wand. To do this, it means you need to go a Alpha Howl helm a long with the "Charisma" aura ring. This means you miss out on attack speed of a Rat's nest as well as the critical strike bonus (and the movement speed of course!). You do get the "Cannot be Frozen" mod and cold resistance, although due to the nature of the build you rarely get frozen enough for it to matter. It goes without saying, any points saved not having to invest in the phys nodes have now ended up being used on the aura nodes!
- You can't go Herald of Fire without huge investment of aura nodes. Now, you may think why would you want to get that anyway, it adds a bonus based on physical and Vigil has none. But the overkill spill damage, being fire damage, would have been a nice add on I think and I am sure it adds tremendously to the clearspeed, which in this build cannot be taken advantage of. It is also out of the question to substitute Anger for it, as that would be a lot of DPS to give up.
- When you go a phys wand build, you get to take nodes such as "Tempest Blast", which acts like a lightning version of Hatred. So it is in essence getting a free aura! Of course, you aren't getting the elemental scaling the wand gives, but you are still able to scale it with certain physical/projectile nodes so it isn't like it isn't getting scaled.
- You can't scale the damage using +Phys nodes on Jewellery on a Vigil build. Reduces the DPS potential and may make it harder to get the items you need
- You will get life leech on tree inevitably but maybe also on gear, which won't go to waste as part of your damage is physical so it gets the leech bonus. Vigil builds get no use of any gear or tree life leech as it is for physical damage only.
- Having access to Hatred and HoI makes me think you will have more chance to freeze targets, but I haven't tested a Vigil build so the Vigil could just as well freeze well. The reliable freezing (with 95% crit chance) has greatly helped when suddenly 20 devourers surround me, only to have them all froze in one volley :).

But the main reason!

- Reflect! By having a mix of physical and elemental damage, it greatly reduces the effect of reflect, you'd have to encounter both types simultaneously (quite rare) to get the full effect of reflect.

Even saying all of that, I would be pretty surprised if a Vigil build didn't work, I am sure it is perfectly workable. A preference perhaps. I'd love to hear how the build works.
ign KlearSpeed

1.3 Torment - Scion Kinetic Build Guide (HC Viable)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1146976
Last edited by iMbaQ on Dec 30, 2014, 6:51:12 PM
"
Vyvanne wrote:
Very excited to try this. Leveling currently with static strike and all my gems in weapon swaps and the like, itching to get higher and try this out.

I too spent hours trying to scour all the various builds out there, tweaking them for a scion start (#masterportraitscions4life) and trying to make a mana build work. While I am generally not a big fan of Blood Magic (though I love the concept of it. See Dragon Age games), I'm going to branch out and try this build out. Tweaked your build slightly to fit my personal needs as I play in the temp HC leagues only, and really excited to try this.

The Spell Totem/Frost Wall I think is brilliant. I was initially planning on CoC/FW but one downside is that you can sometimes box yourself in with all the chaining Frost Walls, and sure there's lightning warp, but in close quarters like Merveil in maps, it can get a little hinky very fast.

Glad you like the guide.

A guy who speaks to me now and then about the build ingame, told me how he thought the Spell Totem thing was probably a "Troll" and was pleasantly surprised how great it was, not just for the ability to kill bosses easier, but the extreme defensive properties of it (he played Hardcore). Especially when I play a lot of those difficult maps, throwing that totem down, seeing it split mobs - watching mobs gather to attack the totem (Making killing the mobs even easier!). I think I may start doing this spell totem frost wall play for all ranged based builds I play in the future.
ign KlearSpeed

Last edited by iMbaQ on Dec 30, 2014, 6:57:18 PM
Great guide iMbaQ! Very in depth, which is extremely appreciated. Currently leveling using ST/MS with a 2h mace, but leveling all necessary gems in the process. My question is this - what pDPS wand do you feel is sufficient for end game. I read the one part where you mentioned a 150 pDPS wand would get you into end game, but that just feels somewhat low. You mentioned getting your 220 pDPS wand "for a few chaos", but looking at the available 200+ pDPS 9.5+crit wands on poe.xyz, most are going for several exalts up to 20+ exalts. Am I missing something obvious, or have wand prices just risen dramatically?
Hey imbaQ great build and guide! Playing it in torment and having a blast!

I have gathered now a few chaos, already have a 5l volls maligaros and a great wand

my dilemma is what should i buy now, rats nest or doryani's invitation? What is more necessary on ur opinion?and also what version of doryani's?

Also is rats nest the ideal helm or should i go for a rare one? ( if so what should i look for in a helm?)

This kinetic blast gem is so op, everyone should try it before it gets nerfed! Hurry up people!
Level 71 with this build in bloodlines.

I have a few questions.

My tooltip dps is like 2.3k. But it feels like I'm doing a 10 times that. Why is that? I think I read that the tooltip damage doesn't reflect the actual damage its doing. I've seen a few other builds with almost the same skill tree and their tooltip dps is like 30k. Does this have to do with different links or something to kinetic blast?

Also, I don't seem to have any problems with reflect, it does no damage to me. Is that because my damage isn't high enough? I'm still farming docks and every group is practically one shot. But my single target seems to be lacking, even with the whole frostwall thing.

Have I just not built up my DPS enough for single target to not be strong enough and reflect not be dangerous?

What is your tooltip dps? (just curious)

edit: oh, and I should say that I don't have much crit. no crit gear yet and I think with 4 power charges, my crit chance is a bit below 30%
Last edited by MaximumJake on Dec 31, 2014, 11:18:21 AM
"
Brodrick2527 wrote:
Great guide iMbaQ! Very in depth, which is extremely appreciated. Currently leveling using ST/MS with a 2h mace, but leveling all necessary gems in the process. My question is this - what pDPS wand do you feel is sufficient for end game. I read the one part where you mentioned a 150 pDPS wand would get you into end game, but that just feels somewhat low. You mentioned getting your 220 pDPS wand "for a few chaos", but looking at the available 200+ pDPS 9.5+crit wands on poe.xyz, most are going for several exalts up to 20+ exalts. Am I missing something obvious, or have wand prices just risen dramatically?

Hi, just for clarification it was a 150-160 dps wand I found for a few chaos (my current one did cost a few exalts I think at the time). Secondly, I am guessing there would have been a price increase in the league - but I still see so many 150+ for relatively cheap on Poe.Trade.

Infact, you have actually inspired me to prove I meant it when I said that DPS tooltip is irrelevant for this build.

Having come back from work with little time, I thought I'd do a quick experiment! For this experiment, I hopped onto poe.trade and looked for a low DPS Wand. Initially I was going to get a 150 pdps one for my experiment, but I thought, lets make this interesting!

So..

I bought a 117 pdps wand from poe.trade and ran a random 74 map in my inventory.

For me, lategame is any map above 66 - because that is sufficient for someone to farm currency to get rich and get a really nice wand. But, me, wanting to do everything bigger, thought running a 74 map will truly run home the point and prove that I really meant it that you don't need high pdps wand to run end game and to show just how ridiculous this build is. I would have done a 78 but I am out of them - this patch it is actually kind of hard to maintain level 70+ maps!

Level 74 Maze with 117 pDPS wand

Here is 3 minute gameplay of the map with that wand (I'd make the video longer, maybe even run a few more maps with the wand if I had time today, unfortunately it is New Years Eve!). I think you will agree, that is still ridiculous clear speed for such a low pDPS wand. It is hard to tell the difference almost to a 220 pdps wand!

Added the video as a link to initial guide too.

Hope you enjoy :).
ign KlearSpeed

Last edited by iMbaQ on Dec 31, 2014, 11:22:18 AM
"
TsopKratos wrote:
Hey imbaQ great build and guide! Playing it in torment and having a blast!

I have gathered now a few chaos, already have a 5l volls maligaros and a great wand

my dilemma is what should i buy now, rats nest or doryani's invitation? What is more necessary on ur opinion?and also what version of doryani's?

Also is rats nest the ideal helm or should i go for a rare one? ( if so what should i look for in a helm?)

This kinetic blast gem is so op, everyone should try it before it gets nerfed! Hurry up people!

I think a rare Rustic Sash belt is better than Doryani's and it would work out cheaper. The leech isn't necessary on the belt as doing hybrid damage means you can't get maximum effectiveness and you don't get life! You also can get higher resists on a rare belt.

I'd go for a Rat's nest personally and a rare belt. You could do a rare helm if you are lacking health or resists. For a rare helm, it would be great if you could get Accuracy/Health/Resists.

Agree that Kinetic Blast OPOP!
ign KlearSpeed

Last edited by iMbaQ on Dec 31, 2014, 11:33:17 AM
"

I have a few questions.

My tooltip dps is like 2.3k. But it feels like I'm doing a 10 times that. Why is that? I think I read that the tooltip damage doesn't reflect the actual damage its doing. I've seen a few other builds with almost the same skill tree and their tooltip dps is like 30k. Does this have to do with different links or something to kinetic blast?

Also, I don't seem to have any problems with reflect, it does no damage to me. Is that because my damage isn't high enough? I'm still farming docks and every group is practically one shot. But my single target seems to be lacking, even with the whole frostwall thing.

Have I just not built up my DPS enough for single target to not be strong enough and reflect not be dangerous?

edit: oh, and I should say that I don't have much crit. no crit gear yet and I think with 4 power charges, my crit chance is a bit below 30%

I wasn't lying when I said that tooltip DPS does not tell you everything :). See a couple of posts above where I did a 74 map with a 117 pdps wand!

My tooltip DPS with my ~220 pdps wand is 24k with GMP, 34k with LMP.

The tooltip DPS is based only on the initial hit your wand does - so you can see why it is such a bad indicator of DPS.

- It does not add the area damage, just one explosion hitting a target as well as your initial hit means you need to add 75% damage to that tooltip DPS and it is possible they get hit by multiple explosions.
- It does not factor in the additional damage from shock.
- The explosion damage of Herald of Ice and the overkill burn damage of Herald of Fire is completely not factored in.

I feel the tooltip DPS does not even factor in 40% of the actual DPS dealt personally.
ign KlearSpeed

Last edited by iMbaQ on Dec 31, 2014, 11:36:09 AM
"
iMbaQ wrote:
"

I have a few questions.

I wasn't lying when I said that tooltip DPS does not tell you everything :). See a couple of posts above where I did a 74 map with a 117 pdps wand!

My tooltip DPS with my ~220 pdps wand is 24k with GMP, 34k with LMP.

The tooltip DPS is based only on the initial hit your wand does - so you can see why it is such a bad indicator of DPS.

- It does not add the area damage, just one explosion hitting a target as well as your initial hit means you need to add 75% damage to that tooltip DPS and it is possible they get hit by multiple explosions.
- It does not factor in the additional damage from shock.
- The explosion damage of Herald of Ice and the overkill burn damage of Herald of Fire is completely not factored in.

I feel the tooltip DPS does not even factor in 40% of the actual DPS dealt personally.

alright, so I have a 168 physical dps wand and my dps tool tip is about 1/10th yours.

Is my dps lacking because of my lack of crit or something?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info