[1.3] Wanderfully Balanced Kinetic Blaster

Presenting Kinetic Wander for 1.3 - More fun than Ledge farming!
__________________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________________

-= Change Log=-

Spoiler

24/12/2014 - Guide posted.
26/12/2014 - Added some information to various sections.
26/12/2014 - Added some videos.
26/12/2014 - Added my Gear.
31/12/2014 - Added video's and updated various sections of the guide.
01/01/2015 - Amended skill tree section. More added to "Build Choices" section.

-= Gameplay Video's =-

Here are just a few video's to give you a taste of how the build is and help you decide if you want to go ahead with the build. If you like them, read on! I only play Torment so, as and when I get to play higher level maps and eventually Atziri, I will update accordingly.

-= Introduction =-

This build does not require you to have any specific end game gear or lots of currency other than any old 5 link. It is designed to be able to be picked up by a completely new player - but at the same time allows you to do some serious upgrading as the build progresses to keep you having lots of fun as you watch the build evolve into an unstoppable juggernaut!

There are several guides already but I feel my one is somewhat unique (it uses Blood Magic gem and a Spell Totem yo!). It takes a more balanced approach to offense and defense and focuses on eliminating what I consider vanity that is present in all of us to create big DPS numbers and instead opts for efficiency. If you are looking for a 50k-100k tooltip DPS build, this isn't it - This is not a glass cannon build. At the same time, it has extremely good clear speed relative to gear.

The way that Kinetic Blast works means that even relatively low tool tip DPS does insane damage. The tool tip does not factor the majority of the potential damage dealt, so it is important to ignore it.

-= Pro's and Con's =-

Pro's

- Very fun! I think this is a very important part of any build.
- Extreme clear speed, it competes with Tornado Shot/Split Shot ranger's.
- Reflect and Hardcore friendly
- Can run all map-mods except blood magic.
- A cool trick to allow you to have INSANE single target DPS (detailed later in the guide!)
- Uses Spell Totem!

Con's

- Only viable as a Scion due to tree path taken.
- Scion's intolerable voice

-= Gem's and Links =-

Spoiler

Body Armour - Drop Critical Damage/PCOC if 5L
Kinetic Blast
Weapon Elemental Damage
Lesser/Greater Multiple Projectiles
Life Leech
Blood Magic
Increased Critical Damage/Power Charge on Critical

Helm - Do not level "Reduced Mana" gem beyond level 16 - unnecessary strength requirement
Reduced Mana
Hatred
Herald of Fire
Herald of Ice

Boots - Do not level "Reduced Mana" gem beyond level 16 - unnecessary strength requirement
Reduced Mana
Herald of Thunder
Curse on Hit
Assassins Mark / Elemental Weakness

Gloves - This is the key to kill bosses in mere seconds
Spell Totem
Frost Wall
Faster Casting
Blood Magic

Wand - Your maneuver skill
Lightning Warp
Reduced Duration
Blood Magic

Shield - Physical damage mitigation
Cast When Damage Taken
Enduring Cry
Immortal Call

-= Skill Tree =-

110 Point Tree's below
Spoiler

This build is quite flexible, you can go more DPS or more health at your leisure. From my experience in high level maps, it doens't appear that you need a lot of DPS to have fast clear speed, so adjust as you see fit, especially if you play Hardcore. You can get up to 182% life on the tree with this build if you wish to do so. Below are some template examples.

147% Life DPS variant (my current build)

PoEBuilder

Official

167% Life Ondar's Guile variant

PoEBuilder

Official

-= Bandits =-

Normal - Oak or Skill Point
Cruel - Kraitlyn
Merciless - Alira

-= Information About the Build =-

Spoiler

- Build is based around the use of Blood Magic. You will reserve 99% of your mana.
- The skill tree provides 15% all resist, assisting in capping resistances.
- The skill tree provides an additional 2 Power charges, allowing you to have 6 in total.
- Kinetic Blast and pierce work very well in synergy, read the "Playstyle" section.
- No aura nodes. As you only use one aura, it isn't worth it. Herald's do not count as aura's
- You have 101% elemental damage scaled against your physical damage, so physical damage on wand, tree and gear is important. This is made up of Hatred (36%), Herald of Fire (15%), Tempest Blast passive (30%), Wand Cold Damage passive (10%), Wand Fire Damage passive (10%).
- As the build deals hybrid damage (physical and elemental), uses Vaal Paact as well as a Life Leech gem, reflect is a non-issue.
- Hate indoor maps with lots of little rooms? This build decimates those maps with ease.
- It doesn't make use of the Shadow's elemental damage nodes (which average 11% elemental damage per node). However this is okay as you get attack speed and Projectile damage nodes from the Scion area as well as the Sniper node and it's adjacent nodes. These nodes affect both parts of the damage (physical and elemental) so they are superior in my opinion.

-= Playstyle =-

The build revolves around using the three Herald's and Hatred to increase your DPS. You will use your main skill for killing both large packs of monsters as well as bosses. We do not create a 4L with Barrage or Power Siphon for single target.

What you will instead use is a Spell Totem with Frost wall when dealing with single targets. These Spell Totems have incredible range so you don't have to be too specific with the placement. It is also not important where it casts the walls, be it in front or behind, or even to the side of the mob - although certain placements are more optimal, in my experience they will be taking exponential damage in all scenario's.

The way Kinetic Blast works is that on each impact it creates explosions. This means you can have overlapping explosions hit a single target by making Kinetic Blast's extra projectiles from GMP hit the Frost Walls.

Additionally, by taking advantage of "Pierce Chance" from skill tree, it means each projectile (including the initial) can hit a mob, create explosions, go on to hit the Frost Wall and create more explosions (and vice versa). This results in all sorts of shot-gun like explosion damage, the poor bastards don't stand a chance! To learn more about the mechanics of Kinetic Strike, you can watch this video by ZiggyD going into it in good detail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0epkq4sglL4.

You may think this may be clunky, but I can say from experience it works very reliably. In the rare instance you were to become stuck by the Frost Wall, you have Lightning Warp to escape. The damage dealt by this combo greatly exceeds that if you were to just create a 4L with Barrage or Power Siphon.

In addition, the Frost Wall totem acts as a great defensive barrier against dangerous mobs. About to enter a suspicious room? Throw one down and watch it get to work to separate/trap mobs. When mobs get too close to you, it even works to put walls between you and the mobs. Last but not least, some mobs end up going to kill the totem, further helping to protect you by luring them away from you. The combination of Lightning Warp/Frost wall Totem is really great for tackling dangerous mobs. I have even started doing a bit of PvP and it is really effective!

What about self cast Frost Wall? Self-Cast Frost Wall is far less effective, too much wasted DPS and the wall duration is not long enough in my opinion. A lot of movements happen in a fight, which the spell totem keeps up with, but if you are recasting all the time it just further adds to the DPS loss. In addition, it will not have all the defensive properties that I have described in the paragraph above.

Sometimes the boss may already be surrounded by the wall, in which case you won't need to use the totem, but there are quite a few times it has been really handy - I urge all of you to try it if you haven't!

-= Gear Recommendations =-

Although I have a "Leveling" Category, I should note that you are actually able to do 70+ Maps with these items and there is no requirement to have the "End Game" recommendations. It is just a basic guide for people.

Spoiler

Body Armour
Leveling
Tabula Rasa
Any 5L armour
End Game
Voll's Protector
Carcass Jack
Belly of the Beast

Personally I prefer Voll's Protector. The mana reduction is irrelevant as we use blood magic and reserve 99% of our mana and the power charge generation is fantastic, freeing up the need for Power Charge on Critical gem.

Carcass Jack isn't a bad armour, as it adds DPS by way of increasing AOE (both Kinetic Blast and the three Heralds!) as well as giving some good bonuses to health and resists.

If you feel more safe with a lot of health, Belly of the Beast has to get a mention.

Wand

There isn't anything really available for Wanders out there, just any you can really get your hand on. Focus should be on pDPS and Crit chance. Early on, your Herald's will do the walking so you don't need to worry about the pDPS on the wands. As you build up currency, you can start buying wand's around 150 pDPS which can get you through end game. They don't even cost a lot. I bought my one for a few chaos.

Helm -
Leveling
Goldrim
The Peregrine
End Game
Rat's Nest
Rare Helm with Accuracy/Life/Resists

Gloves -
Leveling
Sadima's Touch
Aurseize
End Game
Maligaro's Virtuosity
Rare Gloves with Phys/Attack Speed/Life/Resists/Accuracy

Boots -
Leveling
Wake of Destruction
Sundance
End Game
Rare Boots with Tri-res, health and movespeed

Shield
Leveling
Crest of Perandus
End Game
Great Old One's Ward
Rare Shield with Life/Tri Res/Block

Belt
Leveling
Meginord's Heavy Belt
End Game
Rare Rustic sash with Weapon Elemental Damage/Life/Res
Doryani's Invitation

Rings
Leveling
Thief's Torment
End Game
Rare Diamond rings with Phys/WED/Accuracy/Life/Res

Amulet
Leveling
Carnage Heart
End Game
Rare Amulet with Phys/WED/Accuracy/Life/Res

-= Leveling =-

Spoiler

The easiest way to level I found was, get high enough level to run the three Herald's, which is level 24. By running these three you can pretty much go through anything. I warn you, the skill tree for Scion isn't really "leveling" friendly like the other classes.

Goldrim's, Sundance (upgraded to Wake of Destruction when available), Thief's Torment, Meginord's and Crest of Perandus allow you to sail through the whole game with relative ease. Other than the Thief's Torment, they are all dirt cheap.

You may find early on you can't use blood magic without it having a detrimental effect, so investing in some mana nodes early on is completely viable. Combined with an Atziri's Foible, it should make the leveling process smooth. If you can however afford a Thief's Torment ring, it will make your life so easy, it is truly one of the best leveling unique to have.

Focus on survivability rather than DPS level 30-50, as the damage provided from the Herald's should suffice. Once you have got two level 16 Reduce Mana gem's useable, you can now proceed to add Hatred and start using Blood Magic.

If you can, try get Elreon jewelry with -minus mana cost on them. Really speeds up your leveling.

Example Skill Tree's (you'll have to spec out of some of the stuff eventually):
~Level 15
~Level 25
~Level 40

-= Explanation of Build Choices Made =-

I will add to this section as more questions come around the build.

Blood Magic vs Mana

Spoiler
I use Blood Magic rather than mana in this build. I thought about it a lot and came to the conclusion that it is not worth the point investment to go mana:

- I have no need to spend nodes on aura reservation nodes with a blood magic build. I am able to reserve 99% of my mana without any point investment. If I wanted to go mana, I would have to immediately take some nodes or opt for an Alpha Howl's helm, or potentially both. Some guides even drop a Tempest Aura to ensure they have enough un-reserved mana.
- In addition to above, it would mean I would need mana leech and potentially additional mana nodes.
- I won't be able to run no regen or less regen maps comfortably
- I'll have to adjust the items I use to ensure my mana pool is high enough as mana leech is capped at 12.5% of max mana pool. You can easily need 150-200 mana a second depending on your 6L and attacks per second. This usually means you need a mana pool of at least 1200-1500 if not a lot more.

Some builds I've seen are running with not much of a mana pool and I can only assume they fire a lot of blanks or have their fingers constantly on mana potions. I hate firing blanks, do you? It is the worst feeling in the game. The DPS loss and the inability to spam at will off screen (which has a lot of strategic use) can drive a sane man insane. It really detracts from the fun and remember, this build is all about fun!

With a mana build you do have the option to go Arctic Armour with Eldritch Battery, but theory crafting this, it took way too many nodes and specific gear to sustain a good level'd Arctic Armour. Due to Acrobatics reducing energy shield by 50%, it means you have to skip it to take advantage of Eldritch Battery. So you now see the problem, it almost appears you are forced to go Arctic Armour if you go a mana build to add a layer of defense as you no longer can go Acrobatics (remember, we don't want to be a glass cannon). The point and gear investment for a high level'd AA is insane, I tried to theorycraft one but couldn't find one that I clicked with. I would rather take Blood Magic Acrobatics than Mana and Arctic Armour if it means this much change has to be done to my build.

I spent at least 10 hours trying to find a viable mana version which I felt was superior but I couldn't, even after reading several other guides from people - if you have one please share as I am happy to be persuaded to leave my wicked blood magic ways!

I haven't even gone into detail of the gear changes people are forced to make to go mana, but just for example you can't really go Volls Protector which I love (50% Less Maximum Mana), you also have to look for mana/mana regen on rings/amulets (as if it wasn't hard enough to get the mod's you want on them as it is!) and you have to make sure you are getting sufficient energy shield from your pieces to convert using Eldritch Battery. I am not even sure if 2% mana leech from tree is sufficient after the leech changes.
Pierce Gem?

Spoiler
Pierce is what allows you to do shot-gun like damage to both group and single target (using Frost Wall) as per the "Playstyle" section.

However, I do not believe a Pierce gem needs to be used. 40% is plenty so do not play this build with the Pierce gem. If you were to play the Cast-on-Crit Frost Wall build with Kinetic Strike, I could see you using it potentially.
Vaal Pact

Spoiler
So many builds skip this, it is just mandatory to deal with reflect - and even if there is no reflect, it adds to your survivability due to the speed at which you can leech.

This build does tons of off-screen damage, it is too high risk to hope you will be ready for all reflect scenario's.
Acrobatics and why no Heartseeker/Herbalism/Ondar's Guile

Spoiler
As you won't have Arctic Armour, large evasion or armour, Acrobatics is an important layer of protection for your character. It will reduce the block chance of your shield but overall it adds a significant boost to your survivability.

The reason I have not opted for Ondar's Guile is, in my experience most of the danger came from melee attacks or ranged spells. I am happy with Immortal Call/Acrobatics/Shield block to deal with ranged attacks. Also, as you are not running grace, you can't fully take advantage of double evade against ranged in my opinion against mobs which actually matter. Most people use Ondar's Guile to deal with reflect but I have found it wholly unnecessary for this build due to Vaal Pact, hybrid damage and Acrobatic's itself.

Not going Ondar's Guile means that, the point investment to get Heartseeker/Herbalism is no longer optimal compared to going for Wandslinger/Additional Power Charge and Cruel Preparation. Cruel Preparation especially helps with getting much needed resistance if, like me, you go unique heavy.

I have however added an Ondar's guile variant if you really want more than 147% life, in which case you will need to go down this path to pick up the "Herbalism" circle, in which case you may as well pick up Ondar's Guile. If playing hardcore, it may be worthwhile to go this route to increase your health pool..
Power Charge Generation - Is Power Charge on Critical Required?

Spoiler
If you are not using a Voll's Protector, I strongly recommend you use it. Uptime of Power Charges provide a large amount of DPS for wand builds due to the very high crit chance on the wands as well as the passive "Fusillade", which grants 6% increased damage per Power Charge.

In my build I use Assassins Mark's linked to Herald of Thunder and Curse on Hit. However, it isn't as reliable as you think, you will have a lot of down time of Power Charges. You also kill a lot of units from great range and even off-screen, meaning they won't even be struck by the Herald of Thunder in the first place.

Do I need a high pDPS wand to make this build work? They are quite expensive.

Spoiler
No you don't. See video section of a 117 pDPS wand in action in a 74 map.
Which order should I quality gems?

Spoiler
Kinetic Blast -> Increased Critical Damage -> GMP/LMP -> Weapon Elemental Damage.

We do not need to quality the Life Leech or the Blood Magic gem, as we are not running low life and are using Vaal Pact.
Will this build work, or work even be better, with a Piscator's Vigil?

Spoiler
I thought about using a Piscator's Vigil but have decided a Physical Wand option is better.

Reasons I ended up going physical:

- To go Piscator's Vigil I think it is mandatory to get HoI, HoL, Anger and Wrath to take advantage of the elemental bonus on the wand. To do this, it means you need to go a Alpha Howl helm a long with the "Charisma" aura ring to reserve all those aura's. This means you miss out on attack speed of a Rat's nest as well as the critical strike bonus (and the movement speed of course!). You do get the "Cannot be Frozen" mod and cold resistance, although due to the nature of the build you rarely get frozen enough for it to matter. It goes without saying, any points saved not having to invest in the phys nodes have now ended up being used on the aura nodes!
- On a Piscator's Vigil build, you can't go Herald of Fire without huge investment of aura nodes. Now, you may think why would you want to get that anyway, it adds a bonus based on physical and Piscator's Vigil has none. But the overkill spill damage, being fire damage, would have been a nice add on and I am sure it adds tremendously to the clearspeed, which with a Piscator's Vigil cannot be taken full advantage of. It is also out of the question to substitute Anger for it, as that would be a lot of DPS to give up.
- When you go a phys wand build, you get to take nodes such as "Tempest Blast", which acts like a lightning version of Hatred. So it is in essence getting a free aura! Of course, you aren't getting the elemental scaling the wand gives, but you are still able to scale it with certain physical/projectile nodes so it isn't like it isn't getting scaled.
- You can't scale the damage using +Phys mods on Jewellery on a Piscator's Vigil build. Reduces the DPS potential and may make it harder to get the items you need
- You will get life leech on tree inevitably but maybe also on gear, which won't go to waste as part of your damage is physical so it gets the leech bonus. Vigil builds get no use of any gear or tree life leech as it is for physical damage only.
- Having access to Hatred and HoI makes me think you will have more chance to freeze targets, but I haven't tested a Vigil build so the Vigil could just as well freeze well. The reliable freezing (with 95% crit chance) has greatly helped when suddenly 20 devourers surround me, only to have them all frozen in one volley.

But the main reason.

- Reflect. By having a mix of physical and elemental damage, it greatly reduces the effect of reflect, you'd have to encounter both types simultaneously (quite rare) to get the full effect of reflect.

Even saying all of that, I would be pretty surprised if a Vigil build didn't work, I am sure it is perfectly workable. A preference perhaps. Feel free to try it out and let me know of the progress you make with it.

-= My Gear =-

Spoiler

I know, haven't got 3 Red sockets on the shield yet...

-= Screenshot's =-

Coming Soon...
ign KlearSpeed

1.3 Torment - Scion Kinetic Build Guide (HC Viable)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1146976
Last edited by iMbaQ on Jan 2, 2015, 10:39:41 PM
I'm trying out your build, thank you very much for the detailed guide!
This build looks very fun. Just happens to be my reroll day, so Im gonna go for this. And nice work on the guide.
I have to dissagree with the scion voice part, i wouldn`t risk having dry pants after one hour of gameplay due to it.

Either way looks very sexy, good job on the build.

𝕹𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓 𝕺𝖍 𝕿𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊
𝓜𝓞𝓢𝓣𝓗𝓐𝓣𝓔𝓓
Can you post a leveling progression tree? Haven't played wtih vaal pact before and dont know when i should be taking the bottom nodes and when i should get pact thanks
I added a few teaser video's, haven't done it in ages so had all sorts of lag to create them (I am sure I am doing something wrong). Was hoping to capture more accurately how the game play is especially as it usually goes a lot better, but it will do I think for the purposes of this guide. Will try add more and better video's.
ign KlearSpeed

Last edited by iMbaQ on Dec 26, 2014, 1:24:56 PM
"
scalymanfish wrote:
Can you post a leveling progression tree? Haven't played wtih vaal pact before and dont know when i should be taking the bottom nodes and when i should get pact thanks

This is the most frustrating part of the leveling a Scion, no clear path to take! Luckily those heralds are strong enough to allow you not to worry about having crappy skill point investment early on.

http://poeurl.com/y9JStyK

That is I think how I went about it to begin with I believe, taking up the attack speed and projectile nodes by the Scion at the start. It isn't pretty and eventually you need to use regrets. I didn't go for Vaal Pact till I was in my 55-60's (i.e. A3 Merciless).
ign KlearSpeed

Last edited by iMbaQ on Dec 26, 2014, 2:57:25 PM
Love the image, and it's a well-written guide, thank you! :)

I've been leveling a Kinetic Blast shadow in the past few days (a VP/phys wander), and the skill is really a lot of fun to use. First time I tried it out with just LMP was like, "Woah, this is neat!" Your approach is entirely different, though, and it looks definitely intriguing. Added to my list of builds to try!
"
Mivo wrote:
Love the image, and it's a well-written guide, thank you! :)

I've been leveling a Kinetic Blast shadow in the past few days (a VP/phys wander), and the skill is really a lot of fun to use. First time I tried it out with just LMP was like, "Woah, this is neat!" Your approach is entirely different, though, and it looks definitely intriguing. Added to my list of builds to try!

Thanks!

Having played with it a bit more, this is what I'd like to add about my time with the build.

I have played 78 maps - vaal'ed with crazy mods. Infact, one of the more interesting development I had playing this build compared to others was, that I was trying to create the hardest mods possible, get that super high % on the maps. i have never vaal'ed so many maps in any other build I did, simply because I was that confident the build can tackle it (unless of course, blood magic came up, then I would probably skip it!). So overall, very happy with the build - especially considering this is Torment league item's, nothing BIS like available in Standard.
ign KlearSpeed

I'm determined to make this build, that I asked my friend to give me enough fusings to 5 link Voll's Protector. Gave him good armour and then traded Abyssus for his Facebreaker build in return.

What do you think about Piscator's Vigil? It has been in my stash for a long time and it would be nice use it on some build someday.

I doubt that it won't work, because build doesn't seem to be reliant on elemental damage. I'll try it out, when charatcer is level 65. Still leveling with Lighting Tendrils.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info