Maloney's Nightfall - RIP

"
azmodael wrote:
The Ascendancy class pointed will not save this Quiver, if anything it will only make it more obsolete then it already is. The max roll of 40% increased damage is largely irrelevant because you need to apply blind first and by the time that happens the monster is likely already dead (or you are). Drillneck is good because it increases clear speeds and adds its damage to PA, which is hard to scale from items. Rearguard gives you Block and Spellblock - unconditionally Maloney's Nightfall does absolutely nothing but give you 70 life, some atk speed and a very mediocre chaos resist roll.

The problem is that range classes clear Trash mobs so fast that the defense from smoke cloud is completely unnecessary. And if you do actually get mobbed up by minions on average you need to take 10 hits before it triggers. With current damage if you take 10 hits you are already dead. The same applies to bosses.

I recommend that you try and talk to GGG to make some improvements to your unique. Atm you can buy better rare items for 1c. If I spent as much money as you have on this game i'd be pretty pissed if my item design was vendor trash like yours is :)

Your post wasn't even worth the two cents you chipped in.

My first maloney in 3 years of play :D (a very good roll to boot!)

This one is going to go into my vault in standard. It might get dusted off when ascendancy hits, who knows.

Just love that art, aesthetically superb. Raw, yet elegant. So i will hang on to it, even if it doesn't get used :)

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
evinta wrote:
"
azmodael wrote:
The Ascendancy class pointed will not save this Quiver, if anything it will only make it more obsolete then it already is. The max roll of 40% increased damage is largely irrelevant because you need to apply blind first and by the time that happens the monster is likely already dead (or you are). Drillneck is good because it increases clear speeds and adds its damage to PA, which is hard to scale from items. Rearguard gives you Block and Spellblock - unconditionally Maloney's Nightfall does absolutely nothing but give you 70 life, some atk speed and a very mediocre chaos resist roll.

The problem is that range classes clear Trash mobs so fast that the defense from smoke cloud is completely unnecessary. And if you do actually get mobbed up by minions on average you need to take 10 hits before it triggers. With current damage if you take 10 hits you are already dead. The same applies to bosses.

I recommend that you try and talk to GGG to make some improvements to your unique. Atm you can buy better rare items for 1c. If I spent as much money as you have on this game i'd be pretty pissed if my item design was vendor trash like yours is :)

Actually he raises good points. I agree - Kaysee I think you should discuss with GGG if they can remake this quiver.
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
evinta wrote:
"
azmodael wrote:

Actually he raises good points. I agree - Kaysee I think you should discuss with GGG if they can remake this quiver.

I agree. Perhaps, not the gentlest tone but this item gets absolutely no use by anyone.

Make it 1/30th the power of skyforth and gate it behind illvl 78.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Dec 17, 2015, 2:13:03 AM
"
azmodael wrote:
The Ascendancy class pointed will not save this Quiver...

Thanks for your feedback azmodael. I appreciate all feedback good/bad, as we all have different perspectives, so thanks.

"
azmodael wrote:
... if anything it will only make it more obsolete then it already is. The max roll of 40% increased damage is largely irrelevant because you need to apply blind first and by the time that happens the monster is likely already dead (or you are).

This is a good conversation to have, because I agree in parts, but it still a simplistic viewpoint. You're taking a single mod, referring to a single status ailment and isolating them in your assessment.

Of course you're right about applying blind first and that monsters are likely to be dead already (especially with recent balance changes)... however, this isn't a problem exclusive to the Blind mechanic. With the current DPS power (solo or party play) most monsters are dead before any status ailments have an impact. The exception is elemental ailments due to Crit meta and the large number of methods to apply them.

Blind's issue is the lack of methods in which to apply it. The discussed Saboteur class provides more methods to do this, so why would that make Maloney's obsolete? Like Bleed, and now Poison, as GGG rework other avenues for applying ailments into the game then Maloney's becomes a greater option.

I.E. GGG have already stated they will be reworking all the Curses. Hypothetically, if they work the blind mechanic into one of these curses that creates more synergies.

"
azmodael wrote:
Drillneck is good because it increases clear speeds and adds its damage to PA, which is hard to scale from items. Rearguard gives you Block and Spellblock - unconditionally Maloney's Nightfall does absolutely nothing but give you 70 life, some atk speed and a very mediocre chaos resist roll.

I already covered that in my above post. Drillneck is offensively BiS (currently) and Rearguard is defensively BiS. Do you dismiss Life, Attack Speed and Chaos Resists as meaningless mods? And for Drillneck to be effective you need to spec into pierce, which is great if you're already doing that, but if not...

"
azmodael wrote:

I know... which is why I've stated it is more of a thematic mod that still has some funciton. :)

Again, thanks for the feedback Azmodael. I thought I did cover a lot of your points in my detailed post above and I realise Maloney's place in the existing meta. However, the meta changes from patch to patch, and that is what I love about PoE: the expansion of mechanics could synergise nicely with any "trash" uniques to make them highly desired. :)

"
azmodael wrote:
I recommend that you try and talk to GGG to make some improvements to your unique...

"
Ceryneian wrote:

Thank you both for your suggestions... however, this conflicts STRICTLY against my ethics (despite your best intentions to make Maloney's more appealing). I am 100% satisfied with Maloney's design (well 95%, I would like the Smoke Cloud to be 20% instead of 10%), as outlined in my OP. It is designed to be solid without being BiS, however also with scope to strengthen/weaken as the (blind) meta changes from patch to patch.

Finally, I paid my $ to GGG to deliver a designed unique. They have deliver, and IMO, our transaction has concluded. It is a waste of their time/resources for designers to go back and change the design any time they're not happy with it. That is like trading 1ex for 30c, but two weeks later going back asking for another 20c because the economy has changed where 1ex = 50c. :)

Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
The mod says smoke cloud when hit (not necessarily damaged). Am I reading this right?

Wouldn't this be a great quiver to use with high armor, point blank and a low level CWDT immortal call setup? Maybe with Abyssal, rallying or enduring cry depending on preferences.
"
FarmerTed wrote:
The mod says smoke cloud when hit (not necessarily damaged). Am I reading this right?

Wouldn't this be a great quiver to use with high armor, point blank and a low level CWDT immortal call setup? Maybe with Abyssal, rallying or enduring cry depending on preferences.

No, Smoke Blinds monsters, Blind works with evasion by reducing the monsters chance to hit you and crit you. :)
Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
I love this quiver on BA/MA clone summoners.

Sure, it's not as powerful as Drillneck or a crazy rare, but they're pretty easy to find and the defensive bonuses (when you have that many targets getting hit and creating smoke clouds) are huge.

It doesn't have unique 3d art yet, does it? (Do any of the quivers?)
"
Kaysee wrote:
"
FarmerTed wrote:

No, Smoke Blinds monsters, Blind works with evasion by reducing the monsters chance to hit you and crit you. :)

I suppose that is one way of looking at it, but all characters have some evasion, and a 50% miss chance may help a character that can take some hits to get the smoke more than an eva character. Especially against bosses.

Edit: some further thoughts. The increased damage from blind doesn't have to come from smoke/getting hit, so an eva chracter would get the most benefit from a second skill with blind support. The 10% proc chance is just too low to provide an adequate defense for an eva characters survival.
Last edited by FarmerTed on Dec 30, 2015, 2:12:29 PM
Hey man,

great quiver 2016 hcProh league. Started my main as a random ranger with interest.

Right now im short to 90 first char this league, a million close calls later.

Maloney's carring since 70ish, your quiver is a defensive and offensiv wonder (espically with the new flasks). Chaos resi is great, everthin is about this sucker...

Running some Puncture point blank chin/sol pathfinder and my goal right now would be capped chaos resi.

Anways keep up that attitude and the will to make something special !

with love from Germany!

GGG <3

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info