[1.3] pabrt's Frost Wall Kinetic Blaster - Budget Friendly!

Question unrelated to the current discussion - given the changes to stacking leech, it should be viable now to just get some global leech from the tree for sustain now, right? And maybe even throw Vaal Pact in there?
With a 200 PDS wand, just in the ~2 ex range, I'm doing 491-900 physical damage with 85.33% crit / 269% multiplier and +9.9% chance / +45.1% more assassins mark, so against a marked target with charges up, thats 2317 damage per hit if I'm doing the math right and the tooltip factors in the -25% area damage already. I'm ignoring all elemental aspects here. Now to equal the 30 life gain on hit a thiefs torment gives, vaal pact needs 30/2317 = 1.3% life leech, not a terribly high bar. Should already have 0.4% or so from tree, so 2 more sources on items, say those 2 rings, would cover it. But you also need mana leech, and unlike with 15 MGOH, it won't be instant. I'm not sure how that will play

Thats a lot of hoops to jump through, but what its gaining you is the option of life and (more) resists on the rings slot, potentially opening up more inventory like amulet or gloves or helm slots.
I've got a free respec on a Shadow, and I've always wanted to crash the server. So I thought I'd give this build a try.

Is this tree OK for a shadow? I grabbed Herbalism, and that also puts me in good position to grab Heartseeker or Acuity if I need more DPS.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYARXyXl_v1tDjlGYw2VUth4iaVFr8DHh9BBiO1SG1s8-o2PSoL7LCdqnBSjAtirGyMidO5fLTFcNXC7F3yKlsFtQ5Igl6NvxGWDdFS7NQjBx5_xmNDMHGVLpMnoqPdqPDVvorviMHzS3hJUcrT-TeCHpUgOkK0DNfPFLBrFy0fRnFJsZphvOpMs8UogwnHysBUIG4EB0V-9ltvnslEakNQMIPbDlxZvJyk8bO-7lXGavqHE0tXP3N3B8DjbOcJoM5wUUcwfI19I_ZNkg==

I'm playing elemental, since I have an OK elemental wand but not a physical one. Is there a good way to leech elemental damage, or am I stuck with Thief's Torment?

Build dead in 2.0.2e
hopefully we can resurrect it in 2.0.2f
Last edited by clan_iraq on Aug 31, 2015, 1:53:24 AM
"
clan_iraq wrote:
Build dead in 2.0.2e

I did not consider the build playable anyway in any 2.0.x so far.

Sure mechanically the build worked again pre 2.0.2e but unreliably. FW since 2.0 is not impenetrable, its buggy as hell and totally unreliable. I have seen many occasions where monsters just walked though a room filled with FWs and on many occasions the lag was so big that the game froze for multiple seconds and I ended up dead after recovery. Client crashes come on top of that. I never had any of this with 1.3!
"
fae76 wrote:
"
clan_iraq wrote:
Build dead in 2.0.2e

I did not consider the build playable anyway in any 2.0.x so far.

Sure mechanically the build worked again pre 2.0.2e but unreliably. FW since 2.0 is not impenetrable, its buggy as hell and totally unreliable. I have seen many occasions where monsters just walked though a room filled with FWs and on many occasions the lag was so big that the game froze for multiple seconds and I ended up dead after recovery. Client crashes come on top of that. I never had any of this with 1.3!

I've played the hell out of it since 2.0.2 reenabled it and never had enemies walk through frost walls, but lag spikes and client crashes were common. You just needed to work around them by playing more cautiously and not holding down attack. I ran a less duration / level 1 fw setup for clearing maps less than ~78 and it would kill everything instantly and be less prone to lag spikes. WED / 20 FW otherwise

I mean, whats your definition of "playable"? The build went from playable in 1.3.0, to unplayable in 2.0.0 because it flat out didn't work and was disabled, to working in 2.0.1 but being unplayable due to the shotgun-on-frost-wall nerf, to being so dramatically overpowered and obscene in 2.0.2 that you considered it not playable because it would go off the trails with too much power, to 2.0.2e when it again flat out doesn't work and was disabled. Maybe in 2.0.2f, if my mechanics were true about the root cause of the problem, it will again be reenabled, and far less crash prone / laggy. That parts hopeful

I don't think you could safely level up 90+ with it in 2.0.2d, this is true, because of those lag spikes and instability, but in terms of clearing maps and single targets and being 99% immune it was not just playable, but obscenely overpowered. Just that 1% of the time it goes too far and lags you to death, yeah, that could be "unplayable"
Last edited by clan_iraq on Aug 31, 2015, 4:22:03 AM
"
clan_iraq wrote:

I've played the hell out of it since 2.0.2 reenabled it and never had enemies walk through frost walls, but lag spikes and client crashes were common. You just needed to work around them by playing more cautiously and not holding down attack. I ran a less duration / level 1 fw setup for clearing maps less than ~78 and it would kill everything instantly and be less prone to lag spikes. WED / 20 FW otherwise

I mean, whats your definition of "playable"? The build went from playable in 1.3.0, to unplayable in 2.0.0 because it flat out didn't work and was disabled, to working in 2.0.1 but being unplayable due to the shotgun-on-frost-wall nerf, to being so dramatically overpowered and obscene in 2.0.2 that you considered it not playable because it would go off the trails with too much power, to 2.0.2e when it again flat out doesn't work and was disabled. Maybe in 2.0.2f, if my mechanics were true about the root cause of the problem, it will again be reenabled, and far less crash prone / laggy. That parts hopeful

I don't think you could safely level up 90+ with it in 2.0.2d, this is true, because of those lag spikes and instability, but in terms of clearing maps and single targets and being 99% immune it was not just playable, but obscenely overpowered. Just that 1% of the time it goes too far and lags you to death, yeah, that could be "unplayable"

I had a lot of lag spikes and was dying at least once an hour because of it. I also had around 2 disconnect per hour. I could not do Malachai without crash/disconnect. Accidentally hitting mobs with Proximity Shield or Invulnerability aura normally crashes my client.

I don't consider that playable. My build doesn't use the inc skill duration nodes but my FW is leveled and right now I can't use a less duration gem.

My KB tooltip dps is ~900 so quite low and therefore I need a couple of hits and FWs to spam.

Maybe you kill too fast and therefore can't see mobs walking through Frostwalls. But there are bug reports about it.
Last edited by fae76 on Aug 31, 2015, 5:27:05 AM
I believe there are 2 bugs affecting frost wall that should be fixed, that are the actual root cause of this problem.

A) Frost walls not actually blocking shit - projectiles/monsters/your character are still able to move through the walls. This is very obvious if you self-cast frost walls, which I do in parties with regular COC. And even should be visible with COC FW if your DPS is low enough that stuff doesn't die instantly (I was using a Twyzel until level 65ish, so I got to see this alot).

I suspect that this incorrect behavior allows space for additional frost walls to "fill in" that normally wouldn't be there since frostwalls (normally) don't stack in the exact same place (but are offset from one another). I could be wrong on this.

B) clan_iraq suspects that expending power charges bypasses COC's internal cooldown. Could this be tested with cold snap? It's kind of hard to tell if cold snap is being cast too fast with the default animation.

A+B = super dense ice wall formations that crash the game/instance/whatever.
Last edited by omsion on Aug 31, 2015, 9:32:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info