One Week Rampage/Beyond

"
YohSL wrote:
Well, the race is over and I'm give my post race opinion. In short, I fucking hated it.
This is my first race, and honestly the first challenge league I've participated in, and I never want to do it again. My experience was really that loathsome.

It's started off well enough, I went for a Searing Bond tanky build, as I wasn't as concerned with racing as just getting through it as a self found character.

The rampage mechanics were cute, but it seemed to suffer in the presentation department. I could never tell what it was doing most of the time besides the initial stun nova and later summons. I honestly ended up to be little more then an annoyance by merciless.

Beyond mobs thou, oh god I fucking loath these things. Their the primary reason everything sucked ass.
While in normal they we're so bad as you almost had to go out of you way to spawn them. But by merciless almost every fucking mob of enemies spawned them, and it took and otherwise smooth projection and it grinded to a fucking halt.

Their like a speed bump. Once in awhile they aren't too bad, but when your tripping over them every 5 fucking feet, that's rage inducing. They made me want to break my keyboard. And because of them I honestly never want to race again, or fuck around with challenges.
I play to have fun and make neat builds, and they go directly against that.

I can't imagine the agony that would have resulted from using a melee build, as then he bastards would always spawn right on top of you, as if melee builds didn't have enough crap to deal with.

Long story short, challenges should be optional and occasional, over do them and it's just pisses people off.

If it were more of a gradual increase in difficulty over time, rather then a jerky start and stop, then maybe it could have worked. But it's execution was just botched.

But that's the good thing of having separate challenge leagues, so that you can test ideas out, and let blights like this one die in a corner somewhere.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Beyond mobs were rough until I self rolled some gear, then they were easy free lootbags including the bosses (depending on map mods in relation to my build).

Long story short, your build did not handle beyond mobs well and instead of modifying to handle whats being thrown at you, you raged and broke your keyboard.

It was nice to actually have some extra stuff to do while grinding through they acts for the 50th+ time.

Sorry your build sucked.
If i win anything i will vendor my mirror. But probally im note getting any reward ._.
Too bad my 73s were very hellbent on dropping 68s in them. Maybe I'd score higher if I had some more reasonable maps, without having to resort to 70s. Twice. At the very end too.
84 97% overall, so I think I scored rather well. Not sure what did I do to piss RNGsus off though.
Kaenbyou_
Not to bad, ended up at lvl Lvl86 @71
Mostly selffound and solo.

I realy disliked the beyond in the start, damn i died so many times!
But once you came to the higher levels i realy enjoyed them. So much free exp & loot.
They made it realy realy easy to sustain your map pool.
Altho i did have to buy some 71s near the end to build up from there again.

Funny sidenote: I found binos 2 hours before league end >,<'

All in all i'm gonna miss the beyonders. This was my first race and i had plenty of fun!

So I just did a skimming approximation with the numbers not too sure if this is accurate but I compiled a list of your chances of winning...
Prizes/Player.LVL. Chances...
10/2453 @ 70 = 1 in 245
10/3299 @ 65 = 1 in 330
20/4190 @ 60 = 1 in 209
20/4906 @ 55 = 1 in 245
20/5900 @ 50 = 1 in 295
20/6778 @ 45 = 1 in 339
20/7608 @ 40 = 1 in 380
20/8442 @ 35 = 1 in 442
50/10077 @ 30 = 1 in 202
100/11086 @ 25 = 1 in 111
200/12139 @ 20 = 1 in 60
reward winners ?
WTS - IRL Superior Determination = PRICELESS

I absolutely loved this league, despite starting five days late (I wish I could have had the full experience).

Beyond is a fun mechanic, and on top of the regular Hardcore mechanics, must have been difficult to adjust to at first (especially at the initial level of difficulty, that must have been rage inducing). Good thing I got a taste of it on Standard, and with Rampage stun to boot.

Rampage, eh, not so much. I liked feeling good about my kill counter, and that's about it. The stun nova helped the most in regard with Beyond mobs, and the summons were kind of cute. The explosion things or whatever were also a nice DPS boost for my relatively weak build.

Overall, while I haven't experienced the full extent of Beyond (fought every boss, done 78s with the mechanic), I do think it is something of a gear wall at certain stages of the game. While the game itself, Merciless and all, is a build wall, this bumps the wall up. Not sure by how much though.

I wouldn't include it in the regular game EXCEPT through corrupted maps. e.g: any corrupted map also has the Beyond effect. Why? Firstly, thematically, corruption and Beyond are aligned. Lots of red colors, skill spam, end-game danger. Secondly, corrupting a map is usually a deliberate act, so noobs won't stumble over it.

Corrupting maps already creates a level of challenge by randomizing the map in certain ways. However, corrupted maps can still be relatively weak if nothing happens to them, or if they become unidentified, or even if they roll several non-synergistic affixes (though usually a few will interact). That's where the Beyond mod comes in.

On those grounds, I believe that corrupted maps are perfect for the Beyond mechanic, even if only randomly, like Strongboxes.

Final thoughts? Coward's Trial on this league. Two bosses every room, exactly one hundred percent XP gained, or your money back*.

Spoiler
*Not applicable if you died or killed the enemies in the final room at their corners, because the portals don't add up well if you do that
IGN: ArborealTeapot [Standard]
~Your Happy Hugfriend~ (Not Hugfiend...)
i win nothing :(

still made a bit of orbs tho, got to love fresh economy's :)
Well I'm pretty new and I thought it was great. I started playing near the end of the last rampage league.

The beyond challenge was awesome and really kept me on my toes. When you get a spawn close to a point of interest or quest objective or something like that it can force you to rethink things a lot, which is great. For me it is more about the journey than the destination, but that's just me.

I agree that there is some serious whining in this thread....oh the generation of instant grat....ain't nobody got time for that haha

But seriously, great job GGG, I feel like I have found a gem of a game here. Keep it up, can't wait for the new update and new leagues, ignore the trolls, they will always be there.

Should we already know if we won anything?
- Quality over Quantity
Are the prizes distributed to the winners by now? Is there a list of all those who won something?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info