PoE took a shit and named it 2.8 trillion

Blizzard has been throwing around the number 2.8 trillion to describe how many builds are possible in Diablo 3. 2.8*10^12 is a huge number. Here's a small contest with absolutely no prize attached. By the same logic, how many builds does PoE have?
(Here's a hint: it's a whole lot more than 2.8*10^12)

I'll continue to update this main post with whoever has the most accurate approximation. Most accurate does not necessarily mean the largest number.

Best Estimate: 6.38*10^139
Current winner: tpapp157
Estimation Accuracy: Crap

-------------

On a very basic level if the tree has 1000 nodes of which you can get 100 in the life of your character that gives a total of 6.38*10^139 different passive node combinations. That's already 127 orders of magnitude more character 'builds'. Throw in different equipment, skill gems, support gems, character classes, etc and you see where I'm going.
Forum Sheriff
Last edited by tpapp157 on Oct 22, 2011, 11:22:54 AM
im in love
Haha. Tpap you are awesome.

I like a good trash talking. Especially when it involves numbers
"
tpapp157 wrote:
Blizzard has been throwing around the number 2.8 trillion to describe how many builds are possible in Diablo 3. 2.8*10^12 is a huge number. Here's a small contest with absolutely no prize attached. By the same logic, how many builds does PoE have?
(Here's a hint: it's a whole lot more than 2.8*10^12)

I'll continue to update this main post with whoever has the most accurate approximation. Most accurate does not necessarily mean the largest number.

Best Estimate: 6.38*10^139
Current winner: tpapp157
Estimation Accuracy: Crap

-------------

On a very basic level if the tree has 1000 nodes of which you can get 100 in the life of your character that gives a total of 6.38*10^139 different passive node combinations. That's already 127 orders of magnitude more character 'builds'. Throw in different equipment, skill gems, support gems, character classes, etc and you see where I'm going.

as we may get a skillpoint here and there for quests it is > 99 i would guess ...
And what about different supportgem combos ? are those with knockback a different build vs one that does add plain damage ?
We have not even touched uniques and builds that may come with those..
A build may have the same passives and still be something completely different with changed items if uniques are involved.
cya Deathtiny
level fast, die young and leave a nice looking corpse!
Tinyshideouts: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3260135
Last edited by Deathtiny2266 on Oct 22, 2011, 11:41:58 AM
Well from my brilliant mind I would say 30*10^780
I stare at my arm and wonder why I have so many veins.
"
Deathtiny2266 wrote:
as we may get a skillpoint here and there for quests it is > 99 i would guess ...
And what about different supportgem combos ? are those with knockback a different build vs one that does add plain damage ?
We have not even touched uniques and builds that may come with those..
A build may have the same passives and still be something completely different with changed items if uniques are involved.

It's up to you what sort of assumptions you want to make along the way to getting your estimate. If we're judging by D3's 2.8*10^12 number then clearly the threshold that separates different builds is set pretty low. Also please clearly state your calculations and assumptions so others can follow them. If you don't then I can only assume that your estimate is a guess and guess<crap in terms of estimation accuracy. Let me reemphasize that estimation accuracy is the judging criteria and not the estimate itself.
Forum Sheriff
6.25*10^120
Well... I think you´d still have to cross out some combinations because of beeing stat-wise the same but still... yes i agree There are lots... :)

7.75*10^145
Not that you guys have to listen to me or anything.

But can you give a little or brief explanation of how you got to your numbers? Thanks ^^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info