Build of the Week Season 3 Episode 8: Perma-freeze Ice Spear Witch

"Freeze the Spear Witch..."

Reason number 37 that Gamespot is run by idiots.
any chance for a non-crit build?

RT melee variant maybe? yeah right..

if BoTW is to show new and interesting builds - we all already know that 'crit works', maybe something new next time?
"
sidtherat wrote:
any chance for a non-crit build?

RT melee variant maybe? yeah right..

if BoTW is to show new and interesting builds - we all already know that 'crit works', maybe something new next time?

?
The build just before this one was an Incinerate build.

"
CanHasPants wrote:
Dear Chris Wilson,

Please encourage Gamespot to host these BOTW videos on Youtube. Their in-page player sucks; Youtube's does not.

Thank you for your time.

~Pants

absolutely true, could never watch any of the BOTW videos on gamespot.
"
cronus wrote:
"
k19 wrote:
A: Life-based requires so many more nodes - you won't be able to get as much EHP and will have less damage. Also if you have 10k+ hp, you can leech so much more per second that single reflect does nothing with 2% leech. life based with 4k hp + Mom, you will destroy your anus.

this guy is so right, except i have 3k life at level 84 with cloak of defiance which means i can do 73 maps then it gets uncomfortable for my freezing pulser/ prolif ice spear build. it's really easy to say "go es" but the playtime you have to invest for good es gear is substantial.

Uncomfortable how exactly? I leveled a cloak/aa cold witch (experimenting with various cold spells until I settled on IS as main nuke) and ended up with 3.3k hp at 90. Safest build I ever played. Since everything is frozen/shattered offscreen you don't care about the majority of killer mods like vuln or added ele unless you teleport straight into the middle of a pack. I skipped TC and enfeeble mods tho as I cba with that shit anymore, and ele reflect for obvious reasons. Single reflect rare is np with a flask.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAuMC_gMeBAcFQgceB2MHpQj0DkgOXA_EEFgRDxGWFLAV5xa_FvMXVB9BH8cigSY8JpUqCysNK3gsnC2LL502PTeBOlg7fEGWQktCw0SrRXxFfklRSbJMLUyzUDBSslPUVUtVrlXGVkpd8l8qYeJirGNDZJ1qQ2r6bIxtGXBScNVzs3_GghCCHoPbhcWJ04w2jYKOPI-mj_qVLpeXnaqeoZ8BoqOus6-buMq5k7zqwFTB88MJy73Q9dHk2wvbXt-E34rfsN--41bjhOTr6-Tr9ewY8Gvw1fId8-o=
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
Absolutely default ES ice spear build, nothing new here. Just some ridiculous decisions like no dream fragments/auxium and no cold pen gem in a 6l setup.

The previous incenerate build at least allowed to kill Atziri, this one offers none of interesting ideas or opportunities aside from default freeze effect for the cold builds in general.

GGG, Im disappointed. Well, might be I'm not getting the point of build of the week thing, but I have seen way more interesting things and combinations of skills on some streams.
IGN:
Invasion: pewewPewpepppewePwepw
Onslaught: SporkDatShitOutaThem
Softcore: DualSporkIsHere
"
Mef wrote:
Just some ridiculous decisions like no dream fragments/auxium and no cold pen gem in a 6l setup.

"Will fill the Fingers of Frost nodes next for some extra chance to freeze." smh
"
sherkhan wrote:
"
xenogfan43 wrote:
and this is just a crappier version of romira's perma cold snap, but i suppose builds don't have to be what an endgame player would consider 'good' to actually be a botw, just interesting or demonstrating an exploitable game mechanic.

Honestly, BOTW has lost it's direction. The recent botw's have been mediocre copies of existing mechanics. It's not that they are cheaper, or do something unusually fun - they're just mediocre in every way.

They should have a better mandate, something on the lines of:

Cutoff:

1. Must be L78 map solo viable (unless it's obviously a support build)
2. Gear cost should be under 10 ex (excluding any random 6Ls they happen to have)

BOTW types:

1. Uses a unique weapon in a previously unused way (e.g. piscator's for single target HoA)
2. Uses a skill in a previously unused way (Romira's Cold Snap, when it first came out)
3. Extremely noob friendly (i.e. basic setup that ANYONE can do, ele buzzsaw)
4. Fun (any of Ghudda or Peppr's builds)

Any of the types would also have to meet the minimum requirements. Otherwise, it's just a crap L30 setup.

Not comprehensive, of course, but it'd be nice to know there's some rhyme in there somewhere...

Kinda agree with the redundancy part of the builds.Most of the builds featured are kinda whats the big deal about it. But i guess the effort to write up your build and lvling experience and tagging items and skill trees and enough interest shown by others counts .
It's not like they prefer streamers over others there have been many good builds featured here!But the part where a streamer used it and names it after him yea ...

But the game ia already at saturation where old players know almost each and every possible builds with current skill / gem setup . Besides botw aren't aimed at min/maxing your current build its for showing new players stuff possible in this game.

Personally i would love to see some underrated/rarely used builds which are actually good and try them myself but then again most underrated builds get that name for a reason.

Tried making a Viper striker ended up the ye'old dual strike ...
chaotic neutral
"
icemltr wrote:
A few fails in this build, 6L and no cold pen except on swap... srsly?

Things I want perma frozen are not trash mobs with no curse immunity/cold resistance, they are devourers exiles and beyonders that pop out of nowhere and all too often hexproof.

Ele prolif and GMP is sorta redundant, and never liked prolif freeze anyway since shatter = unfreeze.

Guess I better upgrade my stuff before everyone starts jacking prices up.

The prices will not increase don't worry. Perma freeze is used on party play since closed beta.
The build has no fails.
Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.

Aristotle
"
sherkhan wrote:
"
xenogfan43 wrote:
and this is just a crappier version of romira's perma cold snap, but i suppose builds don't have to be what an endgame player would consider 'good' to actually be a botw, just interesting or demonstrating an exploitable game mechanic.

Honestly, BOTW has lost it's direction. The recent botw's have been mediocre copies of existing mechanics. It's not that they are cheaper, or do something unusually fun - they're just mediocre in every way.

They should have a better mandate, something on the lines of:

Cutoff:

1. Must be L78 map solo viable (unless it's obviously a support build)
2. Gear cost should be under 10 ex (excluding any random 6Ls they happen to have)

BOTW types:

1. Uses a unique weapon in a previously unused way (e.g. piscator's for single target HoA)
2. Uses a skill in a previously unused way (Romira's Cold Snap, when it first came out)
3. Extremely noob friendly (i.e. basic setup that ANYONE can do, ele buzzsaw)
4. Fun (any of Ghudda or Peppr's builds)

Any of the types would also have to meet the minimum requirements. Otherwise, it's just a crap L30 setup.

Not comprehensive, of course, but it'd be nice to know there's some rhyme in there somewhere...

It seems that GGG is using BOTW to demonstrate builds for new players to check. I find this clever. The last 2 builds where cheap efficient ones. I don't find any problems with it..
Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.

Aristotle

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info