1.3 Very Tanky, Fire Trap Burn Prolif Shadow [Atziri Capable]

Updated my pretty much final gear; also I'm 88% to level 95 atm with zero deaths in the level.

Hey everyone, this is a guide to a Fire Trap Shadow I built in Rampage this league. I had a lot of fun with it and thought I would share. I'm going to try to keep this brief so there isn't much clutter, if you have a question please ask and I will answer. This build can be done as a Templar as well. This is also a spin off of the older Fire Trap Marauder builds that combine high life regen to compensate for not having leech.

Pro/Cons

Pros: High damage, fast clear speed, awesome survivability, high life and mana regen. When you combine a level 20+ AA and nearly 400 life regen a second you get an extremely tanky build.

Cons: Fire trap can be a little tricky to aim in touch situations. Also, I didn't spec Clever Construction which means the arc mages can be difficult at times. Also, very terrible at Vorci Missions.

Fire Trap Tooltip DPS

My Gear

This can be done with a 5L Searing Touch, you do not need a 6L one to complete. Got a new belt! And also exalted it twice getting 7 ES and 21 strength. Was hoping for those two mods but higher rolls but oh well I guess! Still good.

I've 5L'ed my CJ and added faster casting with flamability into it to speed up my curse speed. Obviously not needed but did it just because.

Gems and Setup

Gems are pretty easy to figure out, get a Searing Touch as early as you can and 4 link it with Fire Trap, Chance to Ignite, Ele prolif, and increased burning damage or concentrated effect. With a 6L you add Fire Pent or lvl 3 Empower. Empower will up your overall dmg and help against white mobs but Fire Pent will help your damage vs rare mobs.

CWDT, Enduring Cry, Increased Duration and Immortal Call is necessary. I also run Vitality, Clarity and Discipline. In my chest armour I use Flame Surge as a culling spell with rarity. In my boots I run Lightning Warp and Reduced Duration. The other two slots are for Empower and Artic Armour when I can 6 socket my Carcass Jack and move my curse up there. In parties I usually use a 20/20 elemental weakness to help the party rather than flammability.

Bandits

Normal: Help Oak
Cruel/Merci: Kill All

Passive Tree

Here is my tree at level 94:
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAfA6nVVugQ8hPBGjyogDwH5o74XPvfDwFgpuQVScv7Dhj_XrmcYXAGho4RtexQtq51abtPBps5CI26eNqFm8kqnF5FxwSaZ2upwismPFs7FUqjUkbNtiD21XGOlhMswQHPV9SU5eVwfOVIC0f2wuCHl8q6-QRln_GoqO3dR7wDkjljp1jXfKMNqSxJpVh4lVLFr9Om9ngm7VTNQ-rRitTUkWdmuDr7riT-ejYvf4Ktz5Bh9gkNsUfAodlr7cyNDwtxq7E9gn21HwGDiftU6UMXxyn7hVJUfDVlS4HHoLHxp4Qfwx9KPo=

I leveled with Fire Trap/Searing Bond and I struggled a little bit off the start of the league when I had no gear and couldn't run Artic Armour. As soon as I got the AA running the build became very tanky. I think I lvled to 78 or so with a 3 link fire trap, it's pretty strong. When leveling, just do an average mix of damage and a little of the life nodes.

HC/SC/Atziri Viable

Even though I play on Rampage this build is very strong and easily able to play on Hardcore Leagues. I haven't tried Atziri yet this league but I'm going to attempt it very soon. The plan for her last form is just to swap in a 20/20 Flame surge linked with concentrated effect, faster casting, spell echo, fire pent, and empower. Maybe with the green socket I will add culling strike.

I will update this thread with how this goes.

Quick Update on Atziri:

I attempted it twice, first time went off without a hitch and zero deaths and no close calls even. Second attempt I messed my gems up and died twice in the multi-form.

Here is what I did

Fire Trap kills the trash mobs very easily and I'm also extremely tanky so I rolled right through till Double Vaal fight. I did see my health get down to about 35% here but mainly it was a big mistake in underestimating my Fire Trap damage. Also, I think it Crit the first one causing it to die in about 2 seconds which I wasn't prepared for a full HP uber Vaal. No death though.

For the Trio I go through the doorway and stand still and shift-click Fire Trap then basically just run a few circles around the outside till they all die, the burn prolif dmg is very nice you will be to the last one quickly.

For the last fight I switch my gems around so they are like so:
Flame Surge>Empower>Faster Casting>Conc Effect>Fire pent>Culling Strike for main cast. Obv culling can be dropped but I didn't wanna reroll the colors. Or just get a 5L searing touch for your switch.
Fire Trap>CTI/Ele prolif to deal with the ads works well.
I also drop Vitality and add a lvl 20 Purity of Fire

The idea behind all of this is just timing and rhythm. Don't get greedy and dodge when you can. You can use the fire trap ground burning dmg to keep her energy shield off as well. 18k Flame Surge DPS is plenty enough to kill her. Went pretty fast for me.

Final Thoughts

I think this build is very strong. When you combine lvl 20+ Artic Armour with 370+ life regen a second you get an insanely tanky character. I got really lucky when corrupting my Fire Trap so that skews the situation for me a little. That said, I also went through 2500 fusing trying to 6L my Searing Touch. After so many I just gave up and bought one already 6 linked. The reason I didn't use the recipe is because I had 1500 fusing in about 2 weeks off the start of the league and didn't know anyone with a level 7 Vorci and just decided to gamble; and I lost, big.

One thing to keep in mind about Fire Trap burn prolif is that spell dmg does not affect the burn prolif, but elemental and fire dmg does. So speccing into spell dmg isn't very helpful. Trap Damage Nodes also will double dip into your explode dmg causing the burn to better.

This build is one of my favorites as of 1.2 patch. I think its nearly as strong as the pre-nerf DD even though the mana cost is way higher.

Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1bJOIa6cMQ&feature=youtu.be - 74 Gorge run

Will upload more later. Atziri video coming soon.

Updated for 1.3 and will update for the new leagues
Last edited by kdun on Mar 23, 2015, 9:25:03 PM
Thanks for the build!
Looking forward to the videos and the Atziri part.
"
Lurgee wrote:
Thanks for the build!
Looking forward to the videos and the Atziri part.

I went ahead and tried it last night. Updated the post. It went very well for a character built around burn prolif.
Why you didnt took entropy?
Last edited by Kalevipoeg on Oct 14, 2014, 1:56:45 PM
"
Kalevipoeg wrote:
Why you didnt took entropy?

I did at first, but then I actually spec'ed out of it because I would rather have Saboteur right above that. The reasoning behind that is because trap damage will double dip with the explode damage and the burn damage where Entropy will only affect the burn damage.
Last edited by kdun on Oct 16, 2014, 12:00:28 AM
"
sherkhan wrote:
Enjoy looking at other burn builds - this seems interesting.

Could you post a snapshot of the average damage tooltip? Also, would love to see this in-game if you have time.

-rajakar

Yes, here you go! http://imgur.com/ckagUxu.jpg

Also, I've uploaded a shitty quality Gorge run I did earlier tonight and put it in the original post. It's not the best, but I will try to get a better quality video up in the next few days.
Last edited by kdun on Oct 17, 2014, 9:49:49 PM
I've played a few fire trap proliferation builds, this one being my favorite so far at lvl 57. Currently using fire penetration as my 5th link. Question is when I hit 62, is using a carcass give a big enough buff to the AoE area to then change 5 link to conc effect?as it is now with just a bit of buff from tree I still like the way fire penetration clears over conc effect.
"
wenlock wrote:
I've played a few fire trap proliferation builds, this one being my favorite so far at lvl 57. Currently using fire penetration as my 5th link. Question is when I hit 62, is using a carcass give a big enough buff to the AoE area to then change 5 link to conc effect?as it is now with just a bit of buff from tree I still like the way fire penetration clears over conc effect.

In my personal experience Conc effect and increased burning damage are the best for a 5 link. I wouldnt use fire pent till you get a 6th link.

I also updated my belt since I couldn't find one, I crafted my own. Might exalt it further someday. Ideally you would want strength and energy shield on it yet.

Also, I'm half way to 95 so far :D
Thanks for this build. Works great so far..
Really like to blow stuff up :))
what do you think about Doryani's Invitation ? (ofc the fire varient) do you think it is good in this build ? does the fireleech works with firetrap and for the burning damage ?
Last edited by Xoreol on Nov 4, 2014, 5:58:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info