How to set up a Ram Disk

Thanks for the post Warrax. You do need 12GB/16GB, 8 is possible as well with no background tasks running.

As for synchronizing the files, what you can do if you use Imdisk, is using robocopy, mount the image file as virtual disk, and then use robocopy to synchronize those two folders, then unmount the .img file and next time it will load the new one. The speed is much faster then using the script. I actually plan to set it up once i find a good VD tool, Daemon tools seem to be not working correctly. Robocopy is very useful for file syncing in general.

http://reboot.pro/topic/15177-feature-whish-save-memory-disc-back-to-image-file/page-2

look here to see the full posts ( two, actually ) by Olof ( creator of Imdisk ).
Uhm you don't have to recopy the game data to the ramdisk with softperfect

I use softperfect, and it saves everything to image files!
im lost on this part After this is done, copy the whole Grinding Gear Games folder with Path of Exile in it, into the newly created ram disk. And that's it. But, the data stored on the ram disk will get deleted when you perform a shutdown / restart. The only exception is Hibernation mode. To preserve and load the image each and every time : where is the new ram disk at or how do u make it ?
IGN:crazysid
"
im lost on this part After this is done, copy the whole Grinding Gear Games folder with Path of Exile in it, into the newly created ram disk. And that's it. But, the data stored on the ram disk will get deleted when you perform a shutdown / restart. The only exception is Hibernation mode. To preserve and load the image each and every time : where is the new ram disk at or how do u make it ?

Right above what you qouted

"
Shadowness wrote:
First, download the ImDisk software solution from the link below :

http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk

After its downloaded, install it.

Instruction for setting up a Ram Disk using ImDisk

Open Start menu and search for CMD ( Command Prompt ) / or go to accessories, right click CMD and run it as administrator.

Type in : imdisk -a -s 5700M -m X: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"
Make a 64bit executable so the game can use as much of my 12gb of ram as it wants
For anyone interested, AMD has a free RAM Drive program: http://www.radeonmemory.com/software_4.0.php

If I recall right, you can use up to 4GB with the free edition (6GB with Radeon Memory).
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
"
Angelus359 wrote:
This is *way* more convoluted than necessary

Softperfect ramdisk can load images without weird external tools, and it's faster, and it supports differential image writeback, so if an update occurs, or a file is changed, it's taken care of immediately, without excessive disk writes.

It saves anything in the image, forever, so you don't need copy tools.

You can install stuff to the ramdisk, then unmount the image. Whenever you want to run a file from that ramdisk, you open softperfect, tell it to load whatever image file you want, and then run your shortcut. That's it. You can have essentially unlimited programs in ramdisk, by loading and unloading images as your heart feels like it.

Also, this ramdisk, and dataram ramdisk are actually *slower* than softperfect ramdisk.

I've been using softperfect for my firefox cache, and firefox profile for a long time now.

The advantage of doing it my way, is that you can have *any* or if you're absolutely crazy, all of your non-microsoft programs in ram.

Guys trying to set up the Ramdisk from softperfect, but I need help. Installed everything but now I'm confused. What are the steps to get it loaded automatically and also syncronized. Help pls
"
el_Z0ido wrote:
"
Angelus359 wrote:
This is *way* more convoluted than necessary

Softperfect ramdisk can load images without weird external tools, and it's faster, and it supports differential image writeback, so if an update occurs, or a file is changed, it's taken care of immediately, without excessive disk writes.

It saves anything in the image, forever, so you don't need copy tools.

You can install stuff to the ramdisk, then unmount the image. Whenever you want to run a file from that ramdisk, you open softperfect, tell it to load whatever image file you want, and then run your shortcut. That's it. You can have essentially unlimited programs in ramdisk, by loading and unloading images as your heart feels like it.

Also, this ramdisk, and dataram ramdisk are actually *slower* than softperfect ramdisk.

I've been using softperfect for my firefox cache, and firefox profile for a long time now.

The advantage of doing it my way, is that you can have *any* or if you're absolutely crazy, all of your non-microsoft programs in ram.

Guys trying to set up the Ramdisk from softperfect, but I need help. Installed everything but now I'm confused. What are the steps to get it loaded automatically and also syncronized. Help pls

I am also using Softperfect ramdisk - works like a charm.

How-to:

Create an raw image file (with Softperfect) at the location you want to save your Path of Exile install first (label it somthing like "poeramdisk"). You should size it accordingly - so its large enough for Path of Exile (like 6 gb).

After that, create a new ramdisk and set it to be saved in the image file every time it's unloaded (you do not need the additional "save every x seconds" option). After loading it, format it to a "ntfs" filesystem in windows explorer. Following - copy the game on the ramdisk - unload it and wait until it's saved in the image.

To use it in future, just load the ramdisk (takes some time) and start the game from the ramdisk.

When you are finished playing, unload it - it's very fast (because there usually isn't much data changed while playing).

You don't need to save Path of Exile somewhere else (it's savely in the image file while the ramdisk is unloadad or your computer is shut down).

Dont worry if there is a patch - just let it patch and play!

If you still are exp. problems - read the help in softperfect ramdisk - they explain everything there.
Last edited by IrgendeinWappl3r on Feb 20, 2013, 11:14:35 AM
The thing that's been causing me the most headache is to do with the size of the files. Windows talks in Bytes, you guys talk in Gigs and Softperfect talks in Mb.

According to windows my GGG Folder (patch 0.10.1c) is: Size on disk 6.75 GB (7 257 870 336 bytes). so I go ahead and allocate 6800MB for the image and it does not work. I retry using 7000MB and it still won't work. So Stuff it Lets try 8000MB - and it's still gonna take like 50 minutes after I been waiting for 50 minutes :( and thats only copying the files into the image. Can't wait to see how long it gonna take to load the image to ramdisk.

Ya Ya I know I'm an old geyser!
I'm BACK :)
I am sorry i cant help with softperfect.

The way i did it with imdisk is in the guide, but to repeat the process again, you just type the command ( imdisk -a -s 5800M -m X: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y" ) into command prompt, which after installing imdisk creates a ramdisk. Then copy the GGG folder into the new ramdisk, which takes around 30-45 seconds. Then its just about using different methods, like the batch script and task scheduler, to save the image.

Also i checked the GGG folder, and it has 5.32GB not 6.75Gb as you say. Game works fine for me so i dont know if you have something twice, or if i am missing something. Also, 5800Mb is enough.

Hope you get it resolved as soon as possible if you are going to use Softperfect Ramdisk.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info