was blood magic ever meant to be used by melee ?

"
Peterlerock wrote:
I hate that the keystone is only used in lowlife builds.
Not that I hate lowlife builds, but I think this is not what the keystone is meant to do.
And I don't think this is a "clever trick" (Ha! I reserve auras on life but don't need life! I am so smart!), it's just... wrong.

exactly.

"
Peterlerock wrote:

Blood Magic:
Use life instead of mana for melee attack skills
Your ES is zero (not your mana pool!)

So you can reserve your mana pool with auras like you want, but still need mana for stuff like curses, movement skills... I actually like that.

i like that too. i think the root of the problem is the % reserves for auras.

and the fact that there is an aura "tax" for melee builds. run hatred or go home. and i've found herald of ash to be quite good too. so now it's run hatred + HoA or go home.

whatever the original idea behind auras was, the concept seems broken at this point.

part of the brokeness is how good they are. hatred adds so much damage you _have_ to run it. there's not much of a choice.

the keystone _should_ be incredibly useful for melee. it's really hard to run skills from mana, even with the new changes, and giving up some life to get back that blood magic gem you would otherwise have to use, _should_ be a reasonable trade-off.

instead the requirement to at least run hatred makes it not even close to worthwhile. you have to give up too much life.

contrary to popular opinion this game is STILL path of life nodes.

Last edited by plasticeyes on Sep 23, 2014, 4:33:23 PM
"
Peterlerock wrote:
I hate that the keystone is only used in lowlife builds.
Not that I hate lowlife builds, but I think this is not what the keystone is meant to do.
And I don't think this is a "clever trick" (Ha! I reserve auras on life but don't need life! I am so smart!), it's just... wrong.

How about...

---

Blood Magic:
Use life instead of mana
10% more life
Your Energy shield and mana pool are zero
("50% less ES" if this sounds too harsh, but I'd actually make it "zero")

Mortal Conviction:
70% less aura reservation

---

You could then run one 60% aura with "reduced mana" gem basically for free.
60% *0.7 *0.3 = 12,6% reserved.

And even 120% in auras wouldn't be horrible.
120% *0.7 *0.3 = 25.2% reserved (so your playing with 15% less life than before, like 4250 instead of 5000 (yes, that hurts, but auras and a free gem slot could be worth it)
---

Another idea would be:

Blood Magic:
Use life instead of mana for melee attack skills
Your ES is zero (not your mana pool!)

So you can reserve your mana pool with auras like you want, but still need mana for stuff like curses, movement skills... I actually like that.

lol low-life haters. its so funny that u don't have 1k ex for this build and u soo jealous
ign: trytowin
"
Peterlerock wrote:

Blood Magic:
Use life instead of mana
10% more life
Your Energy shield and mana pool are zero
("50% less ES" if this sounds too harsh, but I'd actually make it "zero")

Mortal Conviction:
70% less aura reservation

Nah, low-life already get too much benefit of the doubt with the likes of Shavs/Solaris. Blood Magic is being abused by low-lifers, and is kinda a stinker for non-low life builds because how aura reservation works in the game.

Blood Magic truly signifies you are going all life with offense and defense, but low-life kinda contradicts it by having a large amount of ES along with it.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Sep 24, 2014, 2:23:14 AM
"
ggrambo wrote:

lol low-life haters. its so funny that u don't have 1k ex for this build and u soo jealous

How about reading my post again? ...

@John Namikaze

This is a reply to...?
Both "50% less ES" and "No ES" would make BM pretty much unplayable for lowlife.

So: I'm with you.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Blood magic
removes mana pool
all skills use life

mortal conviction
mana pool recovered
all auras use mana

Like... no?

That's a free Soultaker (without having to worry about the shitty DpS on that Axe) for 2 skillpoints.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:

@John Namikaze

This is a reply to...?
Both "50% less ES" and "No ES" would make BM pretty much unplayable for lowlife.

So: I'm with you.

Yea, I was referring to that part, and I said it in a way that I stated that your suggestion was not harsh. The only way to even attempt of buffing Blood Magic again is to remove low-life builds from the equation first.

Just buffing Blood Magic again would just give low-life builds even more power than they have already.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info