[HC viable] Oro's Sacrifice - Elemental "Flickerfucking"

Any of you tried making something funky like IR MOM EB AA + the new chest Rat Cage build? :) something like this:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBCPQRDxSwHRQ6WEwtVcZXK2aeakNrF20Zgh6PRpUgm6GsmLzqvYLAGsBUwfPbC9-K6QL31_rS_rNZ86Kjf8aMNlVLYeImlRa_D6tTNZu1GYr7CfbaGo_DOspKUUysR31bKk0VICLiR-LQgaQ5LOndDVuvTioppRjbdPGFMhcvZOdV1oCkwcXsGHC7GjiQVScvHNwtR1BC7DiCm3GFeuakseWO

Right now that is my passive tree, i run Discipline Grace and Clarity and i level with explosive arrow; still dont have the level for Oro and i know i am still low on ele nodes on the tree but for now its awesomely insanely tanky; if i manage to make it hit hard when i get Oro it will be awesome! I would appreciate if you have some tips for how to go on ahead
Last edited by BGkamaz on Jan 9, 2015, 4:50:44 AM
Thanks for commenting!

@daywalkernc I just a couple minutes ago switched mokou's for a better ring for manaregen, but I'll be spceccing into breath of flame to make up for the lost ignite chance. I'm assuming that melee splash will make me able to flicker mindlessly anyhow. I've yet to try dominus though.
I level up Flicker Strike because it gains additional attackspeed per frenzy charge (+25-36% per charge) and mana cost isnt too bad (26 with 4L and multistrike right now)
OP, thanks for the reply! Soon after posting, I realized leveling Flicker Strike does improve its attack speed, and so I have mine at level 6 -- it still gives me 30% increased attack speed, but costs the same base mana as level 1. I don't think that it actually affects your IAS per frenzy charge until level 20... so says the POE Wiki, anyway. It gives a flat 10% IAS per frenzy until level 20, when it gives 15% IAS. Not worth it to level to 20, IMO.

Vorici finally blessed me with RNG and gave me the BBGGR links I wanted --
so I have no problems anymore with mana or with ignite chance, which is now 93%. With Flammability on enemies, every single hit ignites enemies and gives me a frenzy charge, so I can immediately flicker again. This has helped my survivability tremendously, since I'm no longer stuck in one place.

I find Chance to Ignite to be indispensable for this, because even with the ~55% ignite chance you get from Oro's/passives/Gang's/Mokou's, you will still not gain a frenzy charge with half of your hits. Multistrike reduces that to 1/8, but I find my DPS and survivability are completely gimped if I miss out on that frenzy charge.

My current tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAi4z53ZRczGZKmMBmogAEs4Kb7SDhc-98n9935VfikFUnL-w4wBoaOONqFm_60maeHRQXHBJpna6nCI9GcXkYZayY99eboVXGOlgulJeFNPchsPFs7FUqjUkbNth82fcycqmsqlnzU6UMXxynxq48LcT22L3-Crc-1HwGDift2WEZLs9-rY3SIVcNXz_BBFW1ns3vDhQgUEd25zhTIq8Ykbyf_EsUTQHnpzB2rHrmcYVG12P9sULauQ==
I plan on taking Arsonist (24% fire dmg, 1% life regen per sec) next, and then filling the rest with life.
Last edited by daywalkernc on Jan 10, 2015, 12:23:03 AM
@ daywalkernc

Hey :)
if you have 20-25% chance to ignite from the tree/gear (not counting the sword) try replacing the gem chance to ignite with multistrike and the elemental proliferation with melee splash (try it on some cheap 5link or if you have tabula or something) and you will have a blast! You will be able to drop Gang's boots and mokou i think (still not 67 so cant be sure).

PS
Just now to try it i equipped Oro in my dagger flicker shadow; i had only 20% ele node on the whole tree and 11.5% critchance and 83% accuracy with the sword so thats like 28-29% chance to ignite (not counting misses). With Flicker-multistrike-lifeleech and gang + mokou i managed to clear the tropical island without problems. You can take 4th frenzy charge from merc bandits just to be safe on not letting them fall off and also the atakspeed of it makes it harder for you to get targeted. Replace Wed with lifeleech and you will survive almost anything.
I think elemental proliferation and the burning nodes (and the aoe ones in templar start) are useless in this build - flicker kills fast enough without dots (just cleared tropical island with 740 damage per hit flicker and no splash). If you can place those points towards eldrich battery and get some ES on gear you can run arctic armour to counter reflect. I plan for myself this 5link oro: flicker-multi-lifeleech-manaleech-melee splash (fire pen/wed) as i already got it 5linked.
If you want to make it burning build then i cant help you - i never played one.

I hope i am helpful :)
Last edited by BGkamaz on Jan 10, 2015, 4:51:38 PM
Hello again! You're right, the extra speed per charge doesnt go up until it hits lv. 20, but it does gain additional attack speed with levels. I also used chance to ignite the first time I tried this out, but came to the conclusion with the new tree that you wont need it. With oro's, gang's and elementalist/celestial punishment I have 37% chance to ignite, plus another 13% from flammability, which gives me 50% (60% with mokou's). I'm also going to try speccing into breath of flame for that 10% extra to make up for mokou's so I should sit at 60% with melee splash.
"
Genusi wrote:

Mokou's Embrace adds more chance to ignite, extra resistance and fire damage, and also an interesting mod. Adding up higher chance to be ignited will actually add to your dps since you get another 20% attack speed and you may be able to ignite yourself if your hits crit before allocating Resolute Technique.

I would like to thank you for this build. I'm currently using this build since December 2014 to this day and i would like to share my insights on it. (Both bad and good). I've modified a few and have seen how things turn out for quite some time now.

1) As a clarification, Mokou's embrace, your character itself needs to be ignited. not your opponents but you. I tried for a certain time running 2x mokou's and the flicker rate was a staggering 0.16s per attack. Thing is, you need to ignite yourself w/c means you need monsters that will throw fire damage at you. Useful for certain situations and the bonus fire damage (with some fire/cold resist) is quite good. Almost a must for this build.

2) Bloodmagic. Opposed to the said guide, i didn't place bloodmagic (gem) on any of the skills, instead of using bloodmagic. i used REDUCED MANA instead. The build isn't tanky at all and i believe every HP counts.

3) As i said earlier, even with the upgraded tree and all, the entire build is NOT TANKY. You are more like a gigantic marshmallow. High HP but hardly any damage reduction. If we go the ELDRIETCH BATT route, then it is almost a must to use Cloak of Defiance. You don't have any other nodes to compliment the EBatt so the best you can do is to compliment it with a gear. And the best gear for it is none other than defiance.

4) I have tried the armor (via marauder skill tree area) route as well, i didn't take the Eldrietch and instead place the nodes used to go there into armor and HP instead. surprisingly, i survived more mobs with this rather than the CoD build. I was reducing 40-57% of physical damage (Artic armor mitigation not even included yet) and if things became rather dire, i would use leap to get out of a "unwanted flicker".

5) The artic armor setup. Though it is really nice (and a must) i find it hard to run the skill itself. My clarity is currently at lvl 17 with my ArticArmor at lvl16 and the mana used to run articarmor is just too much than even with clarity running, it can't keep up. i think the best way is to probably keep Artic armor no higher than lvl 10-13 and clarity running at highest level possible (no need to increase quality, it's pointless). But doing so would mean you won't be able to use the full capabilities of artic armor. If you can think of a way, pls enlighten me.

6) Also as opposed to the guide, i kept leveling my flickerstrike and other DEX gems so long as my own DEX permits me too.

7) Aura's, Besides Clarity and anger, i don't really see the point of any other aura's than can be useful except HERALD of ICE. Why herald of ice? It gives a flat COLD elemental damage boost. And if you have PYRE RING (unique) it will convert 100% of cold damage to FIRE and with all those fire nodes you took up, it will even further boost that converted damage. Also an interesting thing with PYRE is that it reduces CHILL duration and will cause any IGNITED enemies killed to be DESTROYED (poor necro, no resurrected corpse for you). Not a good party member for Summoner's/raisers also... XD

8) Spectral Throw, i instead used LMP than using GMP. Why? damage. You get a higher damage output and with the ignite chance from your gear and passives, you are still certain to gain frenzy charges even with the lesser area coverage. Heck, you could kill a lot still just because of this.

9) a 2nd Oro's, yes as a "sub weapon" i got myself a 2nd Oro's for the purpose of Moltenstrike+multisrike. Really useful if you want to dish out massive damage (My Moltenstrike currently on a 4L oro's deal 15k DPS tooltip/0.21s). If you have DORYANI's INVITATION (fire) then you could probably even face tank certain unique bosses.

All in all i enjoyed this build but having troubles using it on maps of lvl 69+ due to the fact that you can't use your main arsenal w/c is flicker. Flickering into a unwanted mob will cause a series of unimaginable use of map portals (believe me) and doing so would mean you will rely mostly on SpecThrow (w/c takes away the fun from it).

All in all it's a rather fun build for solo but not advisable for big parties.
Hello Travanj and thanks for the huge amount of input!

I'll add my few cents with the points you stated as well. :)

1) I've noticed that at times, just getting hit with anything (not necessarily just fire) could ignite you. I'm unsure if it's that the ring gives us a 25% chance to be ignited from any source of damage, or if it's restricted to fire, but I've been ignited at times where there was no fire damage present. It's nonetheless a really good ring for this type of character.

2) I kept using blood magic during my earlier versions since I had insane mana problems and thus had to use it that way.

3 & 4) I know right! It isn't tanky, especially at the earlier versions, I had myself struggling at rough 3-3,4k life and during the latest version I had about 3,6-3,8k life. It's better, but still low for going all in, I assume the build has too much offense at this state. I'm looking into alternatives without Eldritch since I died with him (to igna, 2-shot) , and made a CI caster who have tons of mana. So I'm taking it easy with oro's till I get some more currency with my current MFer. I'm having thoughts about trying to do this with Lightning Coil for the increased physical damage migitation, but this is still a work in progress.

5) Arctic Armour burns alot of mana, and is very hard to sustain. My other character has a lv. 13 or 14 Arctic Armour and has a slight degen, with a lv. 17 clarity and above 100% increased mana and mana regen. There are some options for more mana that might be useful and skip eldritch for.

6) To be completely honest, I had more dex available than what I usually had and thus I kept leveling the gems. Otherwise if Dex is hard to come by It's better off to just stop leveling them once it reaches the same requirements as Oro's itself.

7) Herald of Ice! I've never thought about combining that with Pyre to get more fire damage, so this is something I should try on the next iteration. I would like to still use Determination, provided I have enough armor to begin with.

9) I should try this out sometime - I did try Dyadus + lioneye's remorse (the unique shield with 1k+ armor) for a tankier setup though.
"
Genusi wrote:
Hello Travanj and thanks for the huge amount of input!

1) I've noticed that at times, just getting hit with anything (not necessarily just fire) could ignite you. I'm unsure if it's that the ring gives us a 25% chance to be ignited from any source of damage, or if it's restricted to fire, but I've been ignited at times where there was no fire damage present. It's nonetheless a really good ring for this type of character.

According to the game, you can only be ignited from FIRE DAMAGE. I asked around why players still get ignited even though the enemy display doesn't show fire damage on their tooltips. It seems that enemies (not all) deal low damage of some elements. Example, a bone archer using ICE SHOT isn't necessarily pure ICE alone, there seems to be minute other elemental damage (things like 10-20 elemental damage). However during shot animation, we will only see the ICE SHOT but once you get damaged, you will take all element type damage and sometimes, the ignite procs on you. This event seems to be more prevalent for enemies that use elemental attacks. So there that's it. ^__^

Last edited by Travanj on Feb 1, 2015, 3:27:08 AM
hello! could you update your tree for the 2.0 please?
edit:

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUA-d2LjEqYzGaUXMBmTwQ87xhdrfFo8qIA8B98S5Z0tobtIIKbV-J35TKJkFUnLzrYGjjsOFnzcg-Ub2ZUcYV65kbXY_2xQtq5KU-ePLcxjHbkIhpsNukkquNqFm-drl8EWHeRKwN1CfbUfAYOJ-3E9nKprKpqAZe0Van-VA3NK1Aczq-ng188LcauU6Ucpwxfg8y3Pti9_gqnCI9GGGUSaR0UrJj315uh7FUqjUkbNtjxbC6Ul4U09yGwg9tVxjpYHwIEB4dlr7cyNHzZ9zI64aZX_o81kk3jQ8gY13312t0=

this is the tree i thought about. do i have enough armor/life?
i know it doesn't give a lot of attack speed or charge. is it a big problem? i'm quite inexperimented in the art of making build... so any advice is good!
Last edited by loucou on Aug 24, 2015, 1:15:12 PM
I am also interested in a re-spec of this for 2.0! how about it?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info