[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

yup, I could do that now, however I'd prefer not to use blood magic for my main attack, therefore I'll go for the 10% nodes. I think 87% reduction should be just about ok to run my lightning strike with mana leech.
:)

thx for your feedback!
"
seiferoth10 wrote:

I run those 4 auras on my mana without any reduced mana reserved nodes. I think it just requires Level 17 Reduced Mana linked to all 4 auras. The caveat is you have to Blood Magic gem your other skills to use them, as this will reserve pretty much all your mana.

Tempest Shield (18%) + Hatred (21%) + Purity (29%) + Determination (29%) = 97% mana reserved with Level 18 Reduced Mana.

As noted by the other poster, you can still use your mana leech with all four of those auras up, but you would need additional reduced mana reserved from the skill tree, and maybe some additional int/flat mana bonuses from gear. As you know, I don't recommend those mana reserved nodes now, I instead recommend not using Tempest Shield and just getting the 4% block from the tree. Of course, I have a physical damage based build, not an elemental one.
hey sovyn,

yup I read that you don't recommend tempest shield, and I actually just started trying it, to see if it is useful at all. my block chance is at 74% without tempest shield, so I could possibly even drop a passive shield node if I use it.
I was thinking tempest shield is mainly some free damage and shock potential (from static blows), but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

thanks for your thoughts.

"
tommigee wrote:
hey sovyn,

yup I read that you don't recommend tempest shield, and I actually just started trying it, to see if it is useful at all. my block chance is at 74% without tempest shield, so I could possibly even drop a passive shield node if I use it.
I was thinking tempest shield is mainly some free damage and shock potential (from static blows), but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

You have quite a few nodes invested into elemental related damage. I don't take any of those because I realized it would cost me quite a bit defensively. You may need to overlevel a bit more than a physical based build would need to in order to do the same content with ease.

Let me know what you think of tempest shield with an elemental proliferation support plus static blows.

Back to the chaos resist issue you mentioned, you could forget about Ondar's but you would need at least 60 chaos resist on gear to reach 0 chaos resist. In other words, it will cost you. :)
I was thinking of possibly carrying a chaos resist flask and getting a little bit on gear.
do you think with about 3400-ish life and -60 chaos resist I might get 1 or 2 shot in higher maps? so far I haven't done higher than 67 maps.

also, I'm planning to spec out of the elemental nodes in the templar beginning area (except for the mana regen, which would free up 4 points that I'm considering investing into inner force, since I'll be running 5 auras.

then if I ever level up that high, I'd consider the life nodes left of iron grip.
so many options :D

Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAecEswUtBVsUIBRNGS4aMho4GlUdFCNNJ-0yiTboNuk62EA2RHJHfk3YT31QR1BQUWBT31RJVcZXDVfiWGNY21nzXz9gS2EhZKNlTWaeZ71uaXKpdO135XrvfNmAVoTEhNmE74x2jM-PRpBVm4OboZ7NoLSiAKcwp4SplayqrK-0-bndvqfAGsbYz2XQ0NIh1I_ZYeNq51LsOO5v7w7wH_Iv8932SPrS-6r3vtJNwA8l3xv6pBmnCNrduJMMfRB_xp4CcavFWK94DaluTeOsWf6PRmm18q6Tplc64YjxcLs=

Last edited by tommigee on Sep 5, 2013, 4:32:58 PM
"
tommigee wrote:
hey sovyn,

I link Chance to Flee to Tempest Shield so that when your 75% chance to block procs, Tempest Shield will reflect some damage and proc ~40% Chance to Flee. It's just another way to mitigate damage, especially against projectiles (ranged physical attacks).
Last edited by seiferoth10 on Sep 5, 2013, 5:12:34 PM
"
tommigee wrote:
I was thinking of possibly carrying a chaos resist flask and getting a little bit on gear.
do you think with about 3400-ish life and -60 chaos resist I might get 1 or 2 shot in higher maps? so far I haven't done higher than 67 maps.

That's a little bit more life than I have. I doubt you would get 1 or 2 shot if you enfeeble the unique bosses.

It really does depend on the mods on the map. Some bosses are harder than their level also, Blacksmith for example.

Don't forget to stick Blind on your tempest shield if you keep it. No mana cost and it is a nice added defense. The way you are building I'm wondering if you will run into dex issues leveling up the green gems.
I don't have that amount of life yet but will hopefully soon. my gloves don't have any life right now, for example. I am at about 3k with auras active.
blind and tempest shield is a great idea, that would only add to the blind from bringer of rain. I'll try that for sure.
yup, definitely having some dex issues, which is why I'm thinking of adding the 30 dex node on the way to inner force. I have some dex on gear, but it's definitely a concern.
Blind is ineffective on Tempest Shield. 75% chance to block with 10% chance to blind is 7.5% chance to blind per attack. Not to mention you already have blind on your Bringer, so they have the chance to overlap and you'll lose some of the effectiveness of having it linked to Tempest Shield. Chance to Flee is about 40% chance to proc, so 30% chance to flee per attack when linked to Tempest Shield. 4x the chance to proc chance to flee compared to Blind, that also works on melee mobs that you've already blinded due to Bringer.
Last edited by seiferoth10 on Sep 5, 2013, 8:46:35 PM
I am level 47 now and having fun - in Act 2 in Merciless.

I still use only double attack with splash and life on hit gems, which still are quite okay. I am on the lookout for multistrike as well as more connected socketed armor.

I have a couple of questions: I skipped taking blood magic support gem as reward option - and now I realize that I should have taken it up for use later (very raredy do I run out of mana, but if I pop an aura or two it runs out fast though. Would BM be offered as a choice again later (randomly)? If not I will see if I get it as a drop/buy it cheap of course.

Second question is on tempest shield: I love the graphic etc - however, the lightning damage is only to monsters whose attack is actually blocked right? (Thought would double check - though the description/tooltip clearly says so).

thanks again

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info