[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

been leveling as this build lately and its somuch fun. just did vaal on merc without taking a single hit. managing 7.5k dps on heavy strike atm with some pretty medicore gear imo.
is that ive been leveling with for quite awhile. only thing that changed between cruel and merc really was the wep/shield. thanks for making "end game" opbtainable to us baddies who like to facetank everything lol
Adapting your build for my duelist. Here is my current tree at lvl 68

Here is my gear for now. Pretty happy with my weapon, helmet, armor, amulet and shield. Rings, gloves, boots, and belt need to be upgraded to something with some life on it. (But I have to keep some mana leech on there somewhere)

Spoiler

Still working on 4 linking my helmet... 45 jewelers later and 3 sockets is the most I've seen

edit
got the 4 sockets!! Just need the 4l now :S
Last edited by logwarrior on Sep 1, 2013, 12:28:10 PM
"
chaosmagez wrote:

I'm doing 12k DPS with IB, Melee Splash, Multistrike, and Mana Leech gem.

Do you have any advice on making this stronger or faster?

Thanks for piping in.

That's nice DPS for a tank already.

However, you could do the following:

- Switch out mana leech for added fire damage on your IB. Mana leech would be via rings - would need to find two rings with life, resists and 2-4% mana leech each. They only leech based on the physical portion of your attack so you would need more than 4% total for sure. That would be an experiment as I have not tested. Could try Soul Taker instead of the facebreaker to eliminate mana as a factor and perhaps allow an additional damage aura as well.

- As you have the 15% block bonus on your helm, switch the shield out for a lower block shield with higher armour (e.g. Lioneye's Remorse ) or evasion (crafted) or more damage with Chernobog's Pillar or Daresso's Courage or just sink the saved block nodes into more damage nodes, such as Fencing or perhaps even Lava Lash in your case, if you are committed to IB.
Last edited by Sovyn on Sep 1, 2013, 2:58:54 PM
"
Shaunb19 wrote:
been leveling as this build lately and its somuch fun. just did vaal on merc without taking a single hit. managing 7.5k dps on heavy strike atm with some pretty medicore gear imo.

is that ive been leveling with for quite awhile. only thing that changed between cruel and merc really was the wep/shield. thanks for making "end game" opbtainable to us baddies who like to facetank everything lol

Glad you have been having fun!

I'm surprised you have done so well with such little added life on your gear... well done!

Nice DPS though. My HS is just under 5k and I do OK.

Are you max block with that gear though? I'd try for max block. I think it's worth it. Plenty of ways to get there... more nodes, or unique helm, or unique amulet, or change shields....
"
logwarrior wrote:
Adapting your build for my duelist. Here is my current tree at lvl 68

Here is my gear for now. Pretty happy with my weapon, helmet, armor, amulet and shield. Rings, gloves, boots, and belt need to be upgraded to something with some life on it. (But I have to keep some mana leech on there somewhere)

Looks good.

On the tree I might have gone over for precise interception/weapon artistry and Ondar's before heading up to the templar start or getting berserking or the stuff past troll's blood. You will get there though.

You might want Leather and Steel soon for the run speed advantage since you have a slowdown on your amulet already.

Speaking of the amulet, since you have a good chunk of evasion on your helm, and a good chunk of block on your amulet, you might consider a different shield, one with either high armour (lioneye's is a popular choice), or, if not, at least one with some more evasion, or damage, or resists (if needed) on it. Just a thought as I see a redundancy there.
Last edited by Sovyn on Sep 1, 2013, 5:35:39 PM
I got some item upgrades -also got the melee-splash gem, which I use with double attack now.

Basically seems to work out as a nice AE (I have that cleave and the other one also) - am keeping eye out for melee damage, and other gems.

I got a bunch of other str gems (rejuvenation totem, etc) which I am levelling on a shield and sword in my alternate weapon slots

I am mid way act 3 now and am cruising - got decent resists (one or two is 70%+). Is there any specific item(s) I need to keep an eye out for (trade channel)?

Thanks again - this build is tailor-made for slowpoke me! :)

I got a question on Enduring Cry - I understand it works as an AE taunt - but what are endurance charges (or charges in general for)? I am levelling that gem in the alternate weapon slot.
Last edited by MildlyClever on Sep 1, 2013, 11:12:31 PM
"
MildlyClever wrote:
I got some item upgrades -also got the melee-splash gem, which I use with double attack now.

Basically seems to work out as a nice AE (I have that cleave and the other one also) - am keeping eye out for melee damage, and other gems.

I am mid way act 3 now and am cruising - got decent resists (one or two is 70%+). Is there any specific item(s) I need to keep an eye out for (trade channel)?

Thanks again - this build is tailor-made for slowpoke me! :)

I got a question on Enduring Cry - I understand it works as an AE taunt - but what are endurance charges (or charges in general for)? I am levelling that gem in the alternate weapon slot.

Thanks for the update - I agree it's nice to play at your own pace, that's what I like too.

You would want to keep an eye open for a 5 link chest. That will help you to really do a lot more damage in merciless.

With endurance charges you are somewhat forced to keep the kill pace up and minimize time between packs. This is because the charges only last so long. Pretty darn short time. And you have to be near monsters to be able to cast it again and refresh your stack of charges. Most melee builds have to use them just to get by. We don't have to because we have max block by Merciless.

Bonuses granted by endurance charges:

+4% Physical Damage reduction per Charge
+4% additional Elemental Resistances per Charge

If you want to try it, you will need to level up two enduring cry gems to gain two charges at a time for quick stacking of the charges. Just one is not really enough because the cooldown timer is quite long.
Last edited by Sovyn on Sep 2, 2013, 1:44:07 AM
ah thanks - guess I will give a pass to the enduring cry then - seems like a lot of fast click work (and I suck at it lol).

A nice level 80+ farming Merviel gave me the unique gloves and also the chest piece (he used his orbs to get all colors to red and also linked them) - except shield, which dropped off a random mob for me.

This thread is gonna be a 'please help me, here's my gear' thread. :) Not that I mind, it really helps me as well. I guess a lot of them starting out can have a good feel of what it is to come and what are the various ways we are tackling the situations.

A little update: Moloch threw at me some unused gear (rather than shard). It. is. awesome. At level 63 I soloed Kole. New weapon made a difference.

I did a little change to my atks. I no longer use HS nor IB. I use double strike + multi strike + life gain on hit (yes this one - the gain seems very much faster and consistent compared to life leech) + melee splash + faster atks.

I think I end up hitting faster than you Sovyn LOL. Just because double strike is 2 in one, when combined with Multistrike it just goes insane. And the weapon I got now (courtesy of Moloch as well):

Too good.

Resist now sitting at 75 75 75 -8 with new gear. I will keep farming catacombs till I get confident enough going through maps! (again Moloch ran me through some, it was an eye opener)
It's good to know that all is well. And for me, I started doing more dominating blows on my maps now, and couldn't simply believe how amazing this skill combined a soul taker. I even have faster clearing times in my lunaris runs now close to <6 minutes while my minions chompin' on piety and made Kole like a baby. When I figure out how to record my runs, I'll put it up in youtube and share my experience.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info