[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Sovyn wrote:
"
kewlmidgetman wrote:
was wondering if anyone could review my gear and give me any suggestions thank you.

It looks like you are trying to do the premium setup on a budget; I would suggest getting into the recommended budget setup for now, it will cost you maybe 30 chaos to adapt your build. Then you can save up for the premium setup done properly.

Hey Sovyn thanks for responding, but when you say switch to the budget set do you mean use the bringer of rain? And also what do you recommend for the premium setup.
Hi Sovyn,

first of all: thanks for the great guide you wrote! It helped me a lot, because it teaches the reader, that there is an answer to every problem, and that you can find it, by thinking yourself and maybe a little bit outside of the box.
I learned a lot by reading it many times, especially that the game itself is not unfair. There is always a solution for the player. Bad resistance, run purity aura, etc.

I played Breach season as my first "real" season and played a high runspeed lifeleech slayer to level 89. For Legacy season I was looking for a character that could take more than one hit and still survive when he was not leeching. So I ended up using your build.
Now I highly enjoy playing the "lazy pally", but - being now level 88 and reaching map level 10 - I fear that the same thing will happen that happened last season: The trash mobs are mostly no issue, but killing bosses is the problem.

I understand that this is mostly a player issue, because I am a real bad player. But I am improving and not dying as much as I did last season. Still, I don't think that I can ever defeat a boss like the Dominus-type boss or a chaos based boss or, in the end, the shaper, which was my goal for this season.

Anyway, I am following your build as closely as I can and want to report a little issue that I had: I was using Wurm's Molt as belt with high int and when I now changed to Meginord's Girdle I couldn't use my int-based skill gems anymore. I then checked your budget setup, skill tree and can't for the life of me understand how you can reach 108 int without any int on gear whatsoever. This may not be an issue if you follow your guide from the beginning and level your gems until they can't be levelled anymore. But when you change an item afterwards - like I have - you might end up wondering where to get that int. (I enchanted a ring with int as an interim solution)

I myself have decided to stay with the budget setup as I think the premium setup is out of my reach in a short season. BUT with the legacy season there is the advantage of the relic items. What do you think about them? The Bringer of Rain exists as a legacy item with way more life than the momentary version, but with the downside of having only a 10 percent chance to generate an endurance charge on blocking.

So, long story short. Would you please have a short look at my gear and point me in the direction what to upgrade next? I hope I have unlocked my gear correctly for you to see.

Is the Stone of Lazwhar the logical next item since I am already at 77 percent block chance?

Is block chance really capped at 75 percent or can this be extended? Or should I go for a better ring and gloves? (Please note that my ring is only a placeholder until I can remove my life-enchant on my better ring and put some int on it)

Or should I save up for a legacy Bringer of Rain? I am really proud of my Meginord's Girdle which has perfect rolls and is a chunk better than the new one. But, as I am not a rich player, I will only be able to get one really expensive item, if ever (maybe prices will drop at the end of the season, we'll see).

Thanks for your guide and your help. It's greatly appreciated.
"
kewlmidgetman wrote:
Hey Sovyn thanks for responding, but when you say switch to the budget set do you mean use the bringer of rain? And also what do you recommend for the premium setup.

Yes, BoR. I have both the recommended budget and premium setups all shown on page 1. You can ignore the weapon.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
protoluz wrote:
I have thought about leaving SSF mode, on my other chars too, once I got into Merciless the progress feels really slow and sometimes very painful.

The thing is in SSF there really isn't a way to avoid playing the same areas a lot (farming) before progressing farther into the storyline. You need to over level and try to find workable gear. This is similar to how massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) work, and less like an action dungeon crawler. So it just depends what you like.

Depends a little on luck, and a little on tacktiks.

I'm playing solo selffound for years, now official ;).

First when leveling a weapon dependend char: Don't specialice in a weapon category until endgame (T10+ maps) - that's what your respec points are for. Only take these axe or sword nodes if you have found or crafted your uber weapon. Take generic one handed damage nodes before.
Second, level 2 or more melee skills for various weapons, for example static strike and flurry.

I got this season, before reaching maps, this collection:

Any of these are usable up to T5 and higher, I found all 3 before reaching maps, and the only farming was clearing out most of all areas instead of zooming through - but this league favours this anyhow if you want to use your leaguestones to the max.

I plan going crit sword on a slightly other build (block gladiator), so that's why I kept the crit sword as a backup until crafting.

In SSF you have to pick up every rare, if you do this with a sturdy build like this lab is no problem - a full key run is dangerous, anyhow, depending on the day. If you do full key runs, don't complain about 1-hits, or 2-hits because of empty potions.

Got lucky with this, too:
, got it via a prophecy and "invested" 40 jewells and only 15 fuses. Do all the prophecy leagestones, the anvil + other goodies are available via prophecies - or a breath of the council as viable endgame weapon.

As a last tip: if you are really low on resists and find only garbage with no life to cover them - use a resistance aura or flask until fixed.
may I ask if the build would also work out if I use duelist gladiator for 100% block to spellblock conversion. it would save me some items but I´m not sure if I will get the same dmg numbers as in your guide.
I'm going crazy, start act 1 merciless lvl 64 but 0 fire resistance, I found the Gauntlet and spend a fortune trying to craft 1 life your's with 42% Fire Resistance but I cannot even find the Fire in my craft T_T

"
Tefson1366 wrote:
Hi Sovyn,

first of all: thanks for the great guide you wrote! It helped me a lot

Would you please have a short look at my gear and point me in the direction what to upgrade next?

Tefson, Thanks for your thoughful comments.

Yes, bosses are mostly about your tactics. Certain actions or inactions, as the case may be, are designed to be punished severely, depending on the encounter.

You can definately kill dominus and the map versions of him, with minimal effort.

For chaos based bosses, I just use the Atziri's Promise flask as needed. Not only does it boost my damage to kill the boss quickly, but also adds enough chaos resistance. You could even run two of them with 20% quality for those bosses, for 4 drinks, which should be plenty. These flasks are very common and inexpensive.

I did take the optional 30 INT node mentioned in the guide. I also have some INT on skill tree jewels as needed.

If you have a gem with higher requirements, you can trade that gem plus one scour orb to any vendor and she will give you the same gem back, but minus one level, so that you can use it. Repeat as needed.

I would say that a bringer of rain with high life would be more valuable than the endurance charge feature. I wouldn't spend an arm and a leg, but if it is moderately more, I would consider that.

As far as amulet, the anvil raises your block cap from 75 to 78, the only item which raises the cap. However, your spell block is not so good with that option, which is why I generally prefer the stone of lazhwar, as most real threats tend to be of the elemental variety, some of which are spells. 75/75 is good. Also, the 10% attack speed penalty is not the greatest.

Gloves more similar to the ones in my budget setup (cheap) would be a bit better than yours.

Skill tree mistake: you want Defiance rather than the 40% defenses from shield node near the duelist area. Easy to fix!
"
Llyrain wrote:
I'm playing solo selffound for years, now official ;).

Thanks for the solo self-found tips specific to the current leagues, that's very helpful to people I feel.
"
Mephos wrote:
may I ask if the build would also work out if I use duelist gladiator for 100% block to spellblock conversion. it would save me some items but I´m not sure if I will get the same dmg numbers as in your guide.

You can, yes. The build ends up being a bit different, mostly because you may end up leaning toward resolute technique since just getting the crit nodes without Inquisitor is not as juicy. Obviously you can use non-spellblock amulet and boot options which is a minor difference too. The end result will be about the same, maybe a little less gear dependent for solo self-found (SSF). For non-SSF / regular game, the spell block items are common and inexpensive so that would be a very minor thing. Overall clear speed may be a little bit slower than the build with Inquisitor/crits, but it will still be good. The skill tree would be quite similar. Something like this.
"
zellbest wrote:
I'm going crazy, start act 1 merciless lvl 64 but 0 fire resistance, I found the Gauntlet and spend a fortune trying to craft 1 life your's with 42% Fire Resistance but I cannot even find the Fire in my craft T_T

Generally speaking, you want to trade for an inexpensive pair of gloves. poe.trade If you don't trade, then just find or alchemy something decent and add a needed resistance with Haku as you work on your masters.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info