[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Nishrek wrote:
I have some more questions

Increased defenses from equipped shield nodes increase the evasion, armour and/or energy shield stats based on your equipped shield. Resists are usually implicit and/or explicit properties, which are not affected.

Catalyse is not bad, but since the skills we use are scaled based on physical damage, the additive elemental damage nodes do not do as much as you think they would. It is not a multiplicative bonus like the weapon elemental damage support gem.

I am currently using the elemental focus support as you can see from my current gear section on page one. However, elemental reflect is more a problem with this gem. Other choices would be concentrated effect (nice for bosses) or increased area of effect (nice for clear speed, hit the whole screen) for the blue socket or use an added fire damage gem in a red socket instead. I find that elemental focus is a good compromise if you don't want to swap gems. I don't miss the status ailments. Stuff is dying too fast to worry about that and it doesn't work on bosses anyway.

BoR is much, much tankier than tabula.

I also noticed you are using ES gear - I wouldn't, go for armour + life gear.

Also, you could quality that mace with whetstones.
Hi Sovyn,

Would like to know your thoughts on a similar build in the Duelist forums. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1695912

Similar in the way that it's a tank with max block. Both builds seem great but go about it differently. Would be nice to know if you have any objective pro's/con's between the 2 builds.

Cheers!
Thank you for this build/guide!
"
Silenkurri wrote:
Hi Sovyn,

Would like to know your thoughts on a similar build in the Duelist forums. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1695912

Similar in the way that it's a tank with max block. Both builds seem great but go about it differently. Would be nice to know if you have any objective pro's/con's between the 2 builds.

Cheers!

Not to say there aren't some fine ideas there, but some cons are (mostly comparing current gear):

- the cost (he's using a lot of legacy items at least on standard, taste of hate, expensive rares and a 6-link chest which costs a lot more than anything in my build which uses mostly very cheap uniques).

- concentrated effect to get the dps up means poor overall clear speed despite tooltip numbers, clear speed is proportional to AOE size in most maps.

- unwavering - could be a con, losing some evasion chance (21% for me) in exchange for triggering a few things more frequently, probably overall a defensive loss as I've never seen a stun. Better to not take the hit at all 21% of the time.

- presumably have to take damage until final 8 block is triggered, leaving one slightly more vulnerable initially

- no amplify leading to slightly slower map clears

- ascendancy choice more defensive, Inquisitor is more offensive leading to improved clear times not shown on tooltip

Overall, the builds are very similar, my guide of course has always mentioned aegis and assorted curse options.
Last edited by Sovyn on Sep 13, 2016, 1:25:16 PM
Hey thanks for the run down.

I actually posted the wrong link. It was meant to be this one below.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1647240

Regardless, thanks for taking the time. I actually played your build quite a few leagues ago with static strike. I've just shelved my Kinetic Blaster due to poor single target damage and thought I'd make a tank. Only reason I'm not using your build this time is that I've only made a duelist once before!

Still if this one goes tits-up then I can fall back on this trusty build.
"
Silenkurri wrote:
Hey thanks for the run down.

I actually posted the wrong link. It was meant to be this one below.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1647240

Regardless, thanks for taking the time. I actually played your build quite a few leagues ago with static strike. I've just shelved my Kinetic Blaster due to poor single target damage and thought I'd make a tank. Only reason I'm not using your build this time is that I've only made a duelist once before!

Still if this one goes tits-up then I can fall back on this trusty build.

First off, obviously the build you mentioned will kill monsters just fine.

It's just that it lacks amplify and punchy damage due to no crits or Inquisitor goodness and use of the anvil slows you down noticeably, and static strike is somewhat terrible for clearing maps anyway, so this combination of issues could make the map clear times somewhat disappointing compared with my build (obviously referring to my current gear section as the reference point of the 'build' here).

The duelist/gladiator approach just trades some of the defensive stuff from the regular tree onto the ascendancy tree instead, allowing some additional damage nodes on the regular tree. My approach of taking all of the block on the tree and enjoying the benefits of Inquisitor works too. Both approaches are roughly equivalent as far as the tree goes.

I'm not a huge fan of running into the teeth of monsters without that 8 block, as mentioned.

Soul taker is a lot more expensive than doryani's. Also, the elemental life leech on doryani's is very useful. If you don't use soul taker with the other build, you could run into mana issues. I have solved the mana issues by taking a node that leeches mana from elemental and physical damage so it is never a problem.
Ok.. you win..again... I will re-roll Sovyn! :D

Nah really, thanks for the reply. I just needed convincing. The Duelist build is already running into big mana problems at L40ish and yeah, Soul Taker is pretty expensive for me.
"
Silenkurri wrote:
The Duelist build is already running into big mana problems at L40ish and yeah, Soul Taker is pretty expensive for me.

You might need something like slitherpinch until roughly 45 or so when I take the 'mana leech' node. Going for the leech node a little bit sooner wouldn't be a problem really, if you want.
I actually got some Slitherpinch gloves but I also had to go into Spirit Void for as much Mana leech as possible, then also have Warlords on CWDT for more mana leech... and now it's self sustaining. THat's just a 4-Link Ice Crash.
"
Silenkurri wrote:
I actually got some Slitherpinch gloves but I also had to go into Spirit Void for as much Mana leech as possible, then also have Warlords on CWDT for more mana leech... and now it's self sustaining. THat's just a 4-Link Ice Crash.

Hmm, what weapon are you using?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info