[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
kahoraho wrote:

I agree with most of the statements you do and I will probably get Ondar.
Thanks for sharing your build :)

Is it so easy to get 30% evasion?.
Let me correct one formula, you forgot your have a 30% to evade withouth Ondar.

With Ondar: (1 - 0.6 evade) * (1 - 0.75 block) = 10% chance to be hit
Without Ondar: (1 - 0.3 [evade]) * (1 - 0.75 block) = 17.5% chance to be hit

Of course, it's applied only to avoid projectile attacks.

Thanks for posting your math. :) I'm not sure which is correct as I'm not much of a mathematician so I can't say for sure. I'll take your word for it.

All I know is that it makes a noticeable difference, whether it's 8% or 15%. :)
Being hitted by projectiles 10% times instead 17.5% times is close to a 42.86% improvement.

It's only applied to projectiles, but it makes a big difference.
I definitely will take Ondar's Guile.

Is 30% evasion easily feasible?.
I'd thank you to the Lazy's readers if they throw some numbers here. For instance, I'm level 70, have 4000 evasion and 35% evasion chance (these numbers are invented, it's just an example).

I read once a post about evasion and numbers... I will look for it when I came back to pc (now I'm at mobile).

That would help me to have an idea about how much evasion should I hit.
I'm thinking on running Grace, that could help me to decide if it's a good idea or not.
At first sight Grace looks to me better than Determination, as I will have low armour and Grace has a variable cost, I decide how much mana/life I want to reserve.

For all these Tempest Shield lovers, I'm running Tempest Shield + Mana Reduction + Iron Will + Culling Strike. It works, I don't know if it's too much effective or not, but the idea is quite hilarious to me: you attack, I block, you die LOL
Culling Strike has 110% increased mana, so I gave it a try. xD

IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
Made level 54 yesterday and killed Cruel Piety with 2 deaths (one due to inattention, the other due to Shield Charge not working ;-)). Kole killed me once - because of what, I don't remember. I still use Infernal Blow + Item Quantity + Melee Splash + Increased Physical Damage (scales great with my physical axe),a nd aside from small mana issues (need to pop a flask or two in big battles), I'm fine. I'm still running my crappy MF gear, but I guess I#ll ave to change into more defensive gear soon.
Current gear:
A sword he brought, his foes to maim and rend,
from places dark behind forbidden doors,
But night by night he woke with frighten'd roars
from darkest dreams, too strange to comprehend.
(Anonymous)
Just want to start off by saying thank you for your work and time on this build, I find it very enjoyable to play.

Cruised through Normal in 2 days with little deaths. Once my gear got rolling I was able to facetank pretty much anything. I had max fire and lightning resist on the 2nd half of act 1 and I just slapped on a cold resist ring for Piety made it all a breeze except for a death in level 3 temple due to my carelessness. >.<

"
No debuffs to repetitively cast, no endurance charges to worry about.

I noticed you said this in your first post but on your passive tree you took Stamina which gives you an extra endurance charge. Reason being? Just curious I don't mean to prod at ya about it. I just don't want to miss anything or go on some out-dated info as skimming through 40 pages could be a little rough.

Edit: How in the world do you link items on the forum here?
Last edited by TehDiablo on Jul 5, 2013, 5:27:12 AM
"
TehDiablo wrote:
Edit: How in the world do you link items on the forum here?

Open the character panel while writing (the one left of the PoE logo) and click the items you want to link.
A sword he brought, his foes to maim and rend,
from places dark behind forbidden doors,
But night by night he woke with frighten'd roars
from darkest dreams, too strange to comprehend.
(Anonymous)
"
TehDiablo wrote:

"
No debuffs to repetitively cast, no endurance charges to worry about.

I noticed you said this in your first post but on your passive tree you took Stamina which gives you an extra endurance charge. Reason being? Just curious I don't mean to prod at ya about it. I just don't want to miss anything or go on some out-dated info as skimming through 40 pages could be a little rough.

He didn't take that Stamina node, not even in the progression builds, mate or I am progressing in the skill tree way too wrong.

Update: Farming Docks right now and I am %1 away from level 68. I can tank everything with ease, even without Tempest Shield -honestly, I forget to cast it everytime I enter a new map-.

Not exactly sure when I will progress through the rest of the act.
IGN: Altorparia
Timezone: GMT +3
Last edited by Altorparia on Jul 5, 2013, 7:48:51 AM
I used the free reset of skill tree and followed the Sovyn's suggested build without any deviation.
I was level 62 at this time.

First day I tested if I had mana shortage... I was worried about it as this build is really short on mana / mana regeneration.
Test successful. :)

I run a 2% mana leech, used Heavy Strike + Faster Attack + Multistrike + Melee Physical Attack + Melee Splash.
Every hit cost me around 41 mana, I have close to 4 APS.
I think my dps tooltip is 2.9k, unfortunately I can say how much it comes from physical (you only leech from physical).
I didn't run clarity.
My mana is really low, between 400 - 500, I can't remember how much mana free I got, but I think it was under 300.
While I hit mobs, mana leech is enough to be full all time, but if I consume all my mana I have to wait up to be able to hit. Once I hit, I can continue nonstop.

Those gloves with 2% mana leech and 3% life leech are excellent. But they lack on resistance and life, so I want to replace them. I'm planning in have 2 to 3% mana leech and 2% life leech distributed in several items.

First day I died a couple of times on The docks and once in Sarn City (it'd hard to kill the monkey who drops bear Traps).
I didn't care about dying, I was learning skills and the limits of my character.

Third day I have cleaned all sewers without problems. The chaos bombers who were a pain for my ranger were too easy; shield charge and hit them until they die.

It looks promising. Worst thing I think I will face will be lack of dps. I don't expect to improve it too much. A bit from improving my rings and probably a bit from some nodes.
As someone has told, I don't think on myself killing a high regeneration boss. I think physical reflect will be a pain too, but I think I will be able to kill them without dying.

Now a request for advice. This is my first melee toon, what suffixes are better to fill potions?. The one who recharge three charges when you get a critical or the one who is xx% increased recharges?.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Carlovski wrote:
I'm currently levelling a variant on this, using infernal blow (with multistrike, mainly because I dropped one, probably not the best option). Running Molten Shell - seems to synergise well with high blocking, and use of flammability curse works well with both skills.
Diverted from base build to pick up the AOE nodes - will post when it's a bit more evolved.
Picked up a crest of Perandus, block rate is good and the life leach is handy while I am using a blood magic gem with infernal blow. Low base stats will probably hit me later though. I guess it's not worth taking the improved defences from shields nodes if I stick with it.

Debating whether to also run heavy strike for single target, but maybe infernal will do the job on it's own.
Impressions so far, recasting molten shell takes some of the 'Lazy' away from the build, plus I always forget. AOE is quite poor atm too, but that will probably improve as I skill up and add links. I wish tempest shield was a bit more obvious when it fires too - doesn't feel like it is giving me much (maybe it isn't).
Due to gear I don't have much armour atm, so feel a bit squishy when I don't block heavy hitting monsters, will rectify soon, and throw on a granite or two as well.

Thanks for posting! :)

I understand from other threads that concentrated effect and increased area are two good supports for molten shell, if one wanted to work a little harder at things by having to recast it every few seconds. That combo would fit into a three link, although a four link with blood magic might be better as using the skill does not leech mana. Blocked damage is removed from the molten shell "timer" as well, FYI.

Crest is a great shield except the evasion is too low for end game (anything Merciless Vaal and after) IMHO.

Heavy Strike is nice but Infernal Blow will work just fine as a single target skill unless you couple it with melee splash. You would need gobs of mana leech (3-4% maybe) and maybe clarity too to keep up with Infernal Blow's mana requirements. It's not as efficient leeching as Heavy Strike is. Up to you to experiment as I don't have much mana leech gear available to me.

Tempest Shield does not do much damage, although at 75% block I do see the small, hard to see lightning crackle effect on monsters quite often. We take it mainly for the 4% block to save us a couple nodes on the passive skill tree.

It's a bit upsetting that tempest shield doesn't have more of an active effect - almost seems a waste of a skill and links for just a 4% block chance. I wonder if there are any other link options to try with it (Blind?)
I'll see how infernal stacks up, I'm levelling a heavy strike at the same time anyway. Maybe I'll need to stick with the blood magic gem until I can get lots of mana leech, or more base mana though.
Iron Will could be an option for molten shell too (Should have quite a bit of strength), as well as maybe looking at chance to ignite/elemental proliferation
Yes sir, Tempest Shield + Iron Will + Blind will give you more damage and a random chance to blind on block, that will increase your effective evasion versus this mob.
Most important thing is that it will cost zero more reserved mana.

I'm testing Tempest Shield + Iron Will + Reduced Mana + Culling Strike. 110% mana reserved

Chance to flee is another free option, but Blind looks better.

Molten Shield + Chance to ignite + Elemental Proliferation will cost too much mana
I'm using Molten Shield alone with the all mighty Iron Will
Fire penetration could be an option
"
kahoraho wrote:

Is 30% evasion easily feasible?.

Yes, it is. One has to level up Grace and trade/find/craft a good Vaal Buckler with evasion bonus, and perhaps one decent armour/evasion hybrid piece.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info