[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Borislav wrote:

Still i would say that Ondars is a must =/
link 5 min build but f**** it is a mess and NO INT =/

PS: sorry for my bad english
PSS: good to see that this build is still alive after a year =)

Hi Borislav :)

Glad to see you.

I've been tinkering since the moment the new tree data was available.

I'm not final on the build yet, but here's what I have so far:

Link

Not perfect but it would work fine.
Build I linked above (here it is again) - comparison to official 1.2 build:

Damage - about same as 1.2 build overall

Life +44 base -20 percentage nodes vs. 1.2 build... math, no ty, but probably a little less life (can optionally eliminate slashing comeback if using BoR and get thick skin instead, like this)

Intelligence - less than 1.2 but enough for me as I have int from gear

Block - I lose 1, 78 to 77, still over "max"

Spell block - less in 1.3 but I'll still have ~65 which is acceptable (77 block * .85 (rainbowstride/rathpith))

Edit - forgot - increased defenses from equipped shield got a big buff in 1.3 so the shield used becomes more important thus crest of perandus gets sidelined even more to the early game, in my case I'll gain a lot of energy shield.

Not too bad, a nerf, sure, but I was probably too strong in 1.2 as pretty much nothing could damage me much. Crematorium boss with certain mods hurt, but that's about it.
Last edited by Sovyn on Dec 5, 2014, 4:50:09 PM
Hey Sovyn

I don't think I have posted before, but great build, it's my highest level char, though I play it as a duelist.

Looking at the new tree, it seems there's even less difference between duelist and templar.

now, I have a question, heh, looking at the new build, we get 410% increased defenses from equiped shield, this seems huge, so I was wondering about trying the following:

1. Equip 1000 teeth temu (or another vaal buckler with at least 500 ev and + block chance), this gives us more evasion now than the grace aura
2. Switch grace with Tempest Shield + herald of Ash, this gives us 41% block chance.
3. For spell block, I would need to switch the anvil for Stone of lazwhar, with Rainbowstrides we have 75% spell block.
4. Probably trade 1 or 2 block nodes from the tree and use them elsewhere.

Although this would end up with less block, not sure if going as low as 56 becomes too bad, but we would get some extra damage from Herald of Ash, also if a rare shield is used, the increased evasion could be a lot more, as a shield with 1k evasion would give 5k.

what are your thoughts on some variations like these?
"
weberto wrote:
Hey Sovyn

I don't think I have posted before, but great build, it's my highest level char, though I play it as a duelist.

Looking at the new tree, it seems there's even less difference between duelist and templar.

now, I have a question, heh, looking at the new build, we get 410% increased defenses from equiped shield, this seems huge, so I was wondering about trying the following:

1. Equip 1000 teeth temu (or another vaal buckler with at least 500 ev and + block chance), this gives us more evasion now than the grace aura
2. Switch grace with Tempest Shield + herald of Ash, this gives us 41% block chance.
3. For spell block, I would need to switch the anvil for Stone of lazwhar, with Rainbowstrides we have 75% spell block.
4. Probably trade 1 or 2 block nodes from the tree and use them elsewhere.

Although this would end up with less block, not sure if going as low as 56 becomes too bad, but we would get some extra damage from Herald of Ash, also if a rare shield is used, the increased evasion could be a lot more, as a shield with 1k evasion would give 5k.

what are your thoughts on some variations like these?

Hi there weberto!

Thousand Teeth Temu + my suggested build would give you 74 block. Note that spell block is based on a percentage of your block chance. So, 74 * .75 (.5 for Laz and .25 for rainbow) would give you ~56 spell block. A little weaker than my setup possibly but it will work, and it's cheaper. Can get a corrupted Laz for a little extra block if spending currency is a possibility.

Tempest Shield would let you eliminate slashing comeback and get thick skin instead, and still maintain 78 block (anvil) or 74 (lazhwar). Any dps contribution would be minor, but obviously linking Blind to tempest shield would be essential if one went this way.

Herald of Ash does provide a bit of extra damage for this build, I've tested it extensively. It's fairly minor though. 2500 DPS for me plus whatever overkill AOE would be (not too much). Not too bad, it's something, but at 26k dps now, it's not going to be a noticeable difference, especially on fire resistant monsters.

Overall a very interesting idea. It remains to be seen if the evasion would be enough without grace. Need at least 30% avoidance on the character sheet, preferably 35%.
"
Sovyn wrote:
It remains to be seen if the evasion would be enough without grace. Need at least 30% avoidance on the character sheet, preferably 35%.

Tested it with my current 190% increased def from shield and the following:

Just to see.... turned off Grace...

Yes, it works, 34% chance to evade attacks. Would be even higher after the patch so perhaps even the lowly 504 evasion on Thousand Teeth Temu would work. :) (Right now that only gives 25% evade, which is something but a little bit short.)
Changing the subject, another thing I'm thinking about is that we are gaining some life regen in this patch, going from 1.3% to 4%. So, two different ideas -

1) Use the extra regen to run blood rage on CWDT for the 15% attack speed (3 frenzy charges) instead of summon skeletons.

2) Or, get Zealot's Oath (very close) and gain around 80 ES per second with the right shield, which would help keep some ES up so that 'melee damage on full life' is more consistent. I already have some ES up most of the time so it could be a nice addition. Life would be regained via leech and flasks only.

These are both endgame ideas, the build would not use either until level 85 or something. Thoughts welcome.
From the way out there department - here's a theoretical build I've been working on with phase/acro and max spell block (making assumptions about how the acro multiplier will work):

tree

rathpith 30 block 60% spell block
+
lazhwar
50% spell block
+
BoR 15 block
+
rainbowstrides 25% spell block
+
total from tree 37 block

=

82 block

- 30 from acro so 82 * .7

57 block

* 1.35 spell block = 77 spell block (maxed)

+

30% chance to dodge spells

physical defenses -

35% evade + 40% chance to dodge + 57% chance to block + the odd blind from BoR + enfeeble (optional)
+ a little armor remaining + life pool + flasks + regen + leech from blood drinker, weapon and blood rage

projectile defenses - 70% evade as usual

Thoughts?
Another idea, what goes around comes around, right? This looks like my build a couple years ago:

tempest shield alternative to slashing comeback:

Tree

What do you guys prefer, we can spend 5 points getting slashing comeback and not have to activate tempest shield periodically, which is easier, but it feels like a waste for non-sword users, or we can spend 9 points and get a 5 block tempest + 1% regen + a bit stronger auras (hatred dps).
Hey Sovyn,

I'm relatively new to this game although I've been around since Beta so I don't have a lot of input yet. This build looks interesting so I'm going to give it a shot.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the continued work you put into this. It's a lot to digest so I look forward to learning the inner-workings as I go. I'm also interested to see your final take on 1.3, I haven't seen the changes yet.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.
“If freedom of [censored] is taken away, then [censored] and [censored] we may be led, like [censored] to the [censored].” - George Washington
"
Rippster wrote:
I'm also interested to see your final take on 1.3, I haven't seen the changes yet.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

Welcome, Rippster!

I'll probably end up going with something similar to what we have now in the guide. It works fine. I also hate to start hinging the build on specific uniques like Bringer of Rain as those tend to be hard to get, at least in my experience. I'd like to keep it as open and friendly as possible for newer players and new leagues. Probably will only get around 65% spell block with my current setup rather than 76% that I had in 1.2, but it's a far cry from "block is dead" that everyone else is yelling. :)
Last edited by Sovyn on Dec 7, 2014, 4:17:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info