[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

yeah thats part of the reason why this build was attractive, you didn't need 10-20 exalts worth of gear to have it work. I've been playing PoE for a long time, almost every day for a large portion of that time, and I've only managed to get 5 exalts. I've spent them on a few things, but that just goes to show you that probably the vast majority of players aren't currency rich. They can't see a build that costs 15 exalts to be functional and go off and do that.
The results are in for the baseline 4-link skill combo with my current testing gear setup with hatred turned off:

reave (level 16) - multistrike - melee physical damage - concentrated effect:

6 minutes, 47 seconds

Average time of 8 full-clear runs in Merciless Act3x Archives.

Now to see if any of the Molten Strike 4-link combos can beat that. Doubtful, but we shall see.
"
mazurecki wrote:
That fully explains it. Thanks for the answer, and please don't don't think I was dissing the build, that was pure curiosity. :)

Yeah, hope my answer didn't come across too "ZOMGWTFBBQ".

In short, you get a lot of bang for buck with the lazy pally. I can't tell you how many times I've joined a full map group and been the only guy left standing before half the map is done purely because a lot of DPS builds give up survivability for enormous output, but fail dramatically the first time they get stunned, for example.
after 3 months i came back to this forum and i saw this topic...

my first reaction was, HEY he still alive lol, 300 page !
☞ @Torgh
MADE IN FRANCE
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ 232691 ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Picked up a nice belt last night which finally replaced my old tri-res and gave me a little extra junk in the trunk, albeit at the cost of HP.

Current gear:
Spoiler

Incidentally, the Thief's Torment (lucky drop that) is a superb ring for this build because it's very hard to run out of mana and you are not affected by 50% reduction to mana rate (as each hit collects 15 mana regardless, even vs a single target you earn more mana than you spend). Yep, you can certainly get better bang for buck with 2x high end rings, but currently I'm having trouble finding a good 2-3% mana leech ring to pair with a 50% chaos resist ring with a slew of great stats.

However, I am woefully short on life currently, pushing only 2800 HP.

Another thing to consider for pallies is the inclusion of blood rage on one of the CODT's. Yep, the incoming chaos dmg lowers your life (which might be particularly bad after a big hit) but the life leech/atk speed buff really helps your DPS.

On the BOR, I swap in conc effect for bosses (reduced mana made that viable), but increased AOE has a wonderful side effect of sanding most mobs to death before they get in range. Lvl 83, so still a bit to go to max...
"
Saviourself wrote:

Thanks for the update on your progress. :)

Most uniques seem to not have much life on them, so I generally prefer rares with some life on each piece in order to get life up to 3500 or so. I'll admit the uniques have their attraction though. I'd definitely reconsider the full time use of Aurseize in the endgame, for instance. :) Survival over riches.

Your current gear has essentially no life on it (131 total), which would be considered unworkable by most. However, I suppose it is a testimonial to the power of our combination of defenses that you are progressing. :)

In other news, I'm still running my stopwatch-timed trials with Molten Strike and, so far, it's not looking good compared with Reave. More later.
Anyone else using heavy strike with multistrike and melee spalsh?
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Saviourself wrote:

Thanks for the update on your progress. :)

Most uniques seem to not have much life on them, so I generally prefer rares with some life on each piece in order to get life up to 3500 or so. I'll admit the uniques have their attraction though. I'd definitely reconsider the full time use of Aurseize in the endgame, for instance. :) Survival over riches.

Your current gear has essentially no life on it (131 total), which would be considered unworkable by most. However, I suppose it is a testimonial to the power of our combination of defenses that you are progressing. :)

Yeah, the Aurseize have been looked at with a grim eye a few times.

That being said, I've been running 7-10 mod vaal'd maps without much difficulty. The only boss I consistently have problems with is the Jungle Valley spider (the weaver + a number of rares/magic/norms that spam poison strike, I basically need to dump gear and go all chaos resist + flask which murders my DPS). ps. If you want to see some godawful combinations, throw a few vaals at maps.

eg.

That one is on the shelf as "f#cking impossible" (blood magic is the problem there ; )

As for other gear, I'm slowly chipping away at 6 linking the attached plate, and my other possibles list are as follows:

Spoiler

"
In other news, I'm still running my stopwatch-timed trials with Molten Strike and, so far, it's not looking good compared with Reave. More later.

I think it needs a really good weapon to pair with it. I've been helping a mate level up and we started mapping last night. He's using my old 280pdps/300dps axe on a "sovyn's lazy marauder sorta kinda thing" and MS, and he's doing 9k dps with my hatred aura compared to my 7 odd k reave with that foil (although the foil is only 200pdps so most of my great % to phys stuff isn't having the biggest effect). Can't recall what gems he's using but he jumps in to mobs and makes a mess of them pretty fast.

My kingdom for a 300+dps claw...

"
Route1 wrote:

Used to mate but it's a pain in the bum with that knockback component. If you're going to AOE, use an actual AOE like cleave/reave etc and drop melee splash. Or, if mana can support it, infernal blow/splash (watch for reflect mobs, wackyness can ensue...)
"
Route1 wrote:

My last research session showed that that is not the best combination. See a copy in the spoiler below. Please note that these results are old and I have rebooted the process completely for my Reave vs. Molten Strike comparison. So those following that progress should probably not even look at this spoiler, but, it will show you where heavy strike splash falls.

Spoiler
Here is some research I've been working on.

Update 02.01.2014 added ground slam and reave with increased area
Update 01.22.2014 added heavy strike with splash, cyclone with concentrated
Update 01.18.2014 added cleave, cyclone, spectral throw.

I've been full clearing the Merciless Archives (over and over and over) with no movement speed items or skills (which obviously would speed things up, but to make the results more consistent, I did not use them). The Archives is a fairly good and somewhat consistent testing area.

This is all to show (approximately) which skill combos are most efficient with this build. The DPS tooltip number actually has little to do with it, thus this research.

Of course, I am limited as I don't have many linked items to choose from. But it is still interesting.

Each skill has been run several times with a stopwatch until the area is fully clear and the run times averaged for greater accuracy.

Here are the average clear times for various skill and support gem configurations, ranked from good to terrible:

reave - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks - concentrated effect
456 seconds

cyclone - concentrated effect - faster attacks - blood magic - life leech (note: risky)
518 seconds

cyclone - melee physical damage - faster attacks - blood magic (note: risky)
583 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - faster attacks
594 seconds

heavy strike - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
607 seconds

ground slam - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks - mana leech
613 seconds

infernal blow - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
625 seconds

reave - multistrike - increased area of effect - faster attacks - concentrated effect
627 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - faster attacks - concentrated effect
656 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
657 seconds

heavy strike - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks
776 seconds

double strike - melee splash - blood magic - faster attacks - increased area of effect
817 seconds

cleave - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks
858 seconds

spectral throw - lesser multiple projectiles - faster attacks - added fire damage - blood magic
958 seconds

infernal blow - faster attacks - mana leech - melee splash - concentrated effect
1031 seconds

infernal blow - mana leech - melee splash - melee physical damage
1223 seconds
"
Saviourself wrote:

My kingdom for a 300+dps claw...

That would be ideal! I find the leech is quite significant on my claw, I definitely notice the difference when switching to a foil.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info