[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

So I beat merciless Dominus the other day and it got me wondering about the survivability of this build. One one hand, you are practically immune to physical hits. Enemies like the titty bitches in act 3 even heal you since you dodge and block all the hits. But chaos damage and spells can sometimes wreck me because I had 2.9k life (also have -32% chaos resist).

Is it just me or is life hard to come by with this build? Say I'm going Lightning coil + Abyssus + anvil. I would think the lack of life nodes would make it a struggle just to break 3.5k. Gearing for more hp while still capping resists is a bitch. Other than that, definitely tankiest build I've ever played, but sadly also the lowest dps.
"
scrooge999 wrote:
Just something about the survivability of this build...

Right now I found a corrupted area in the docks. I got to the end, and was confronted with Wiraqucha, Ancient Guardian - a snake which summons many other snakes. It also cast Smoke Mine, so between that and my FPS dropping to something like five I had no chance of ever getting to the boss because I had no idea what was going on and who was where.

So I just stood there for like five minutes surrounded by lots of snakes and killed about a thousand of them without ever being remotely in danger of dying. I was only hampered in my efforts by a disconnect, but other than that I just felt very invincible. Also ran a Dungeon map and took ages to kill off the boss because of low dps, but it didn't matter because he very rarely managed to hit me anyway. Great build.

The snakes are an example of why Ondar's guile is so wtfop with this build.

Their projectiles just do not connect. First, they have to hit you (70-90% chance to miss roughly). Then they have to bypass your block (70-75%). Instantly, your overall chance to be hit even once is down around 3-5%. Add armour or chaos resist to knock down any damage that makes it through + enduring cry + immortal call triggered whenever you actually take damage, you are like a brick wall they have trouble even touching.

The key to high dps is the right weapon. With a 300 dps axe and a 19% quality/lvl 11 cleave (recently swapped), I'm clearing 66 maps fairly fast and that's with an inc quality gem instead of a dps booster. And even if it's a bit slow, I just don't die.
Yeah I used Infernal blow as my main AoE skill for the whole game, but it's gotten way to slow now that all the crucial mobs resist elemental. Leveling up a cleave right now, but with 240dps axe the clear speeds are too low to farm wealth at an ideal rate. And I'm broke after buying lightning coil then regearing to compensate for the lightning res
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
LazyZunde wrote:

thanks Sovyn :) im thinking using sweep, leap slam and vaal cyclone or heavy strike for attacks rest is pretty much the same

would Sweep - conc effect - inc effect - added melee - multistrike - added fire be the best way to go? or would the mana cost destroy me? could get rid of inc effect and added fire for blood magic and life leech I supose

Sweep has a low mana cost, so you may be OK. Drop inc effect or added fire for stun or blind if needed (those have no mana multiplier).

ahh cool I was thinking would the stun mastery be a good way to go?

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAdwB5wSzBS0OPA9UEuEUTRRxFSAZhRo4Gmwb-iIbJIskqiXfKQcpTypNLOkt0jIJM0A0jjWSNug26TpSOtg9Dz8nQKBCjkN5RHJFjkd-Si5KfUrITdhW-livYEthIWKTYwtlTWega9lsRm5pbqpybHKpdEF07XfXeA1673y7fNl_K4FvgziExITZhO-GO4d2iPGKdIx2kFWTB5cBmAqdSJ48nrmiAKQZp4SnpaloqW6sqrUEtfK3crlDvTm-ir6nwA_EFcT2xYrG58ln0k3Vi9aK3Q3eluLq42rkIuoY7DjtRO988B_z3fcy-Ov8xf_T

i lose out on abit of life but surely the massive stun and block recovery out weigh that and if i do use stun linked to sweep the extra stun threshold reduce will compliment the other stun related nodes i have

also the other posts in this thread discussing how the shield is a major factor in this build's survivability have got me thinking, will i lose out on to much evasion and just die constantly?

I plan on getting Carcass Jack and a high evasion helm over the BoR option with possibly the anvil ammy but im not sure tbh

again Sovyn your awesome and thanks for your time
"
Saviourself wrote:
The snakes are an example of why Ondar's guile is so wtfop with this build.

Scary thing is, I'm not even running Ondar's Guile as I didn't go towards the Ranger nodes. Only a 880 Evasion Shield, block and leech - and it still was enough.
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
Hi Folks!

Just a little update...

I stopped playing my lazy pally for a while, and leveled a incinerate-scion to 77.
I was getting bored playing melee, and so i tried something differend (very nice build btw).

But today i got back to my old friend and i have to say, that the patch really didn't hurt.
I now have 4k life (with little help of my new gauntlets)

and finally switched from heavy strike, to reave.
Reave is still only at lvl 16, but it works really fine, even in a 4-link.

When i manage to get a decent 5-link, i will try knockback with reave.
I've read this in another thread. Maybe it is an alternative for us too.
With knockback, we won't get any damage from melee attackers, while we hit them all the time.
It seems, that the range of reave, is always higher, than the knockback effect.

We will have protection against range (ondars), plenty of spellblock (lazwhar) and melee (knockback).
In theory, it sounds amazing.

Maybe one of you could test it out.

people make mistakes, but to get real chaos, you need a computer.
So I was wondering, does this build work with a Duelist too? It seems like you go right up to the start of the Duelist's part of the tree.

In any case, I plan to run it with ST: Heavy Strike, AoE: Ground Slam, Utility: Leap Slam, Decoy Totem, Curse: Temporal Chains or Enfeeble.

Also, should I run this with a Bringer of Rain, or with a 6L Chest + good Helmet? My BoR is a pretty crappy roll and not a legacy, but I don't have a 6L or even a 5L Chest. Should I use this BoR until then?

Last edited by K0rrupted on Mar 11, 2014, 9:15:38 PM
WARNING: Atziri spoilers ahead!

Hello!

Thanks so much for the build and guidance, I use it and love it.

I tried to do the apex of sacrifice the other day, made it fine until I got the the three exiles after the 2 Vaal oversouls. One in particular, with her blood rain (chaos damage) just annihilated me, all 6 times.

My gear is pretty much the best possible. Level 82, Max resists, 5k life, 1k Es, with 65% block and 55% spell block.

I understand this fight is supposed to be insanely difficult, but I was hoping to at least make it to atziri :)

Any suggestions with this build in the apex of sacrifice?

Anyone have similar experiences?

Thanks again, incredible guide
Pay it forward.
Last edited by NSolcz on Mar 11, 2014, 9:15:04 PM
"
Stefacle wrote:
Ok, been having a slow start in the Ambush league, mostly due to lack of play time.

Also, my plan for leveling mainly with Heavy Strike got ruined when a Facebreaker dropped for me quite early on. I tried to ruin it with a Vaal Orb, but that only made it better so now I guess I'm stuck with Infernal blow and Dominating blow.

Don't forget about Cyclone, which is best if you can handle its several issues. Frenzy is an option as well, but I'm not big on it, possibly because I have never leveled it up high or gotten to 7 charges (have to build for that).
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Stefacle wrote:
Ok, been having a slow start in the Ambush league, mostly due to lack of play time.

Also, my plan for leveling mainly with Heavy Strike got ruined when a Facebreaker dropped for me quite early on. I tried to ruin it with a Vaal Orb, but that only made it better so now I guess I'm stuck with Infernal blow and Dominating blow.

Don't forget about Cyclone, which is best if you can handle its several issues. Frenzy is an option as well, but I'm not big on it, possibly because I have never leveled it up high or gotten to 7 charges (have to build for that).

Cyclone is an excellent attack for using "curse on hit" with and blind.

eg. 4 link cyclone, curse on hit, warlords mark (or enfeeble or w/e), blind.

Suddenly, you have blinded mobs that give you both health and mana back (no need for mana leech, the warlords feedback will keep you going as long as there is something to hit). Dmg isn't spectacular in late game, but that's for your main attack (infernal + multistrike + speed + mana leech is a solid start).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info