[1.1] [1.2] [1.3] [2.0 RIP build]. Maawk Firetrapper

"
xinfilxx wrote:
Love this build but I only have one problem regarding the burning damage. According to the wiki, it says that the only way you increase the burning damage is through the use of the increase burning damage support gem.

Source: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Fire_Trap

Is this information correct? If I am understanding this correctly, wouldn't it be useless to get elemental damage and be more wise to just focus on the increased burning damage support gems?

Err nope you see fire trap has 2 hit components which are initial hit explosion which benefits from spell damage / fire damage / elemental damage (and if it ignites also inc burning damage components of gear / gems) and secondary effect that is burning ground.

What interests you and proliferates is initial hit, burning damage scales of how high that initial explosion is so the harder the bOOm ! the more burning damage there will be.
Last edited by maotzu on Jan 8, 2015, 1:57:52 AM
"
Mawwk wrote:
"
Chronodroid wrote:
You suggested the Templar start, I'd like to build a Shadow for it. Reasonable? What changes if I just take the Elemental Damage Nodes at Shadow and leave out some %life/mana of Templar start?

This is next for a new Shadow of mine :-)

For a headstart, I already got me late x-mas presents:

And now I just have to reach my goal on the witch to start it :D

ill make a tree for shadow, but i dont recomend at all, with templar, its easier to get life/aoe/fire dmg nodes earlier, as shadow you just go into dmg and some life.

Hehe, where did you put the tree?

Early game is no biggie for me, I know the quests / enemies quite well and can run an additional trap for levelling, e.g. bear or some coldsnap-prolif if needed, even.

Why I don't wanna go as Templar: already got one and doing this for the challenge, too (3 x 85).

And thematically, Shadows to me have more trap-flavour than Templars, but that's just my personal taste :)
IGN: WildTortillaFart
"
Unfeared wrote:
"
maotzu wrote:
"
Unfeared wrote:
Hey, why aren't you using the saboteur nodes? for +trap dmg

I had them before but dmg gain wasn't any better then off elemental nodes that also scale Heralds. Personally I'm not using overly dps heavy build.

Thanks.

I'm currently lvl 66 with
Spoiler

What can I do to improve my tankiness? I still fall below 20% when doing maps and I have to be really cautious and spam my instant flasks. I'm res capped with 3.1k hp and 1k ES with disc+clarity+AA.

Get moar life, which u will leveling up. 4-6k life is a must have for this build.
Then play better, which u will with more experience on the build

@Maotz: I get your build and i get the leveling up is a grind, can´t be aware all the time so u gotta be tanky part, ill maybe do the same.

BUT, i am approaching differently, thats for others too, how much DPS (if any? 70%burning vs 100%ele doesnt look that harsh, on the other hand it maybe is) do i lose?

My aproach right now is that after i got some "okay" (20-ex) rings i could get some okay-good belt and boots (oh boy those gonna cost me to get high res:D) to ditch the helmet in order to be able to use Alpha´s or 3Dragons, both being viable.

Cannot be frozen would be awesome killing some bosses and mob, +2aura means more damage from heralds and maybe even +5 max resist with corrupted purities.

Running 2Purity, clarity and one herald will work pretty easily, i DO NOT GET VITALITY i am using it right now but i don´t feel it, we can always go combat stamina and get the same and more.

What do u think about that? I am going to try it later with out alphas, two heralds would need a LOT of mana with such a high clarity but boy would it be awesome, +5 and a lot of res for free.
EDIT: +26%effect from auras, we will get +6max res, 5without corrupted auras.

U said u didnt get to a dangerous life leve, that means that since u are mitigation nicely your ehp are kinda "too high" (specially for sc) so u could easily spend points on -mana nodes.

TLDR: I want to go 2purity, 1herald and get combat stamina and maybe even going further to get dual heralds late in the game, gonna need like 2k mana thats a hard goal to reach but totally possible.

PS: Aplha giving cold res, fire and light res from purities, i love if stuff works together:D

With either a decent belt or boots i could use a unique or pure stats item on the other slot, thats sick.
If i keep res on both i can drop purity of lightning for a second herald, sick.
For party play, alphas beats the shit out of 1h+shield:)
Last edited by purplet on Jan 8, 2015, 3:17:41 AM
Its not just about hp its about mitigation.
Reason I switched was not to take spiky dmg on harder maps since they usually give some really nice IIQ, and dying means time loss + alot of currency wasted on higher lvls, I rather avoid that :P

Having chunk of armor is not bad it works well with AA and lightning coil.
Lightning Coil works well with extra res from Purity of Lightning and Saffell's
IR works great since L Coil is hybrid armor and Alpha's is EV based so instead of lil dodge you get raw mitigation instead also it will scale auras like grace or determination that can be run in organized parties
EB is pretty good as you can gain MP from having rare hybrid or ES based shoes / gloves.
US is my personal choice there is bunch of things in game that stun and that creates opening to taking more often fatal damage and it prevents that in most cases, regardless if you take 50% or more of your hp equivalent of dmg there will be NO STUNS on you, you took shit load of dmg you keep running you pop pots you ESCAPE.

Another reason to use Alpha's for me is that I am unable to run clarity , 2 puri , 2 heralds with out it, two heralds moar dps then one rofl and if I were to extend to any other aura nodes it would take too many points... as you mentioned it also let you run lvl 23 puri if you were to get lucky on corruption. Anti freeze gives you at least one more curse removal slot or shock removal which is great.

I am not running vitality is because I can get it from party not sure if you noticed but one of the reasons I went to marauder side of the tree is that 1.8 % hp regen node is very powerful and almost equivalent of vitality. Also it provides hybrid hp / armor nodes which compensate for loss of grace. In case of anyone in your party running grace and determnation your armor goes pretty damn high too.

There is no such thing as being overly tanky there is bunch of corrupted 78 / 79 maps you will get to do and stuff on those often has multiple mods that amplify incoming damage by ALOT. So to be able to secure yourself from getting insta gibbed you build tankish~.

But I was playing with Searing touch for quite a while until like 80's something. There isn't that much on lower lvl maps you will encounter that hits as hard as later on lvl 78/79 maps.

I am playing on fairly low fps in full party too might be another reason for me to prefer to be tough cake.

On a side note searing bonds bro totem is really low probably gonna switch it out for party play for manual molten shell for some extra absorption. I will keep it for solo play tho its still free dps as 1 socket gem lol optionally could use decoy for hard encounters or rejuvenation totem for party play as element of support (many ppl don't use that one it often saved bunch of ppl back in rampage when I was playing support, certain ppl appreciate c: )

Set up really comes down to wherever its solo or party based but its good to design your build so it will scale with party play but will be able to manage solo.

Last edited by maotzu on Jan 8, 2015, 4:48:19 AM
Maybe we both mean the same, i got into running alphas earlier, didnt know that u were using it too but thats good to know.

So u have purities+saffel? I kinda feel that this is really op, still (if u still have the staff) could u try and compare dps a bit, or anybody else tell me how much difference there is.

I am having a hard time on curse immune fire resistant shit but before i start thinking about a 6l armour for fire pen i gotta know if i want armour or the staff 6linked:D
Sold my old 5L staff ;v

When you do mods lik -24 max res +35% monster damage +9X dealt as elemental something damage you want every single max res you can get from anywhere.

Saffell's also gives lil spell damage it adds up to tooltip too. If it wasn't for res you could as well use rathpith it gives more spell power is able to block attacks and gives 10% hp too.. I prefer max res tho and is bit more budget friendly for fresh start up.

But I'm telling ya lvl 74-76 maps solo, you drop traps and finish more resistant stuff with whatever else you are using and stuff gets rekt hard. I did some 75% res maps even with fracture and its doable but not worth the time , felt like self punishment...

Fire trap bad dum tss toss > Flammability > Flameblast > Loot > Next pack. I got 3.6k dps with catalyst on fire trap and 1k on flameblast ( and it does reflect on golems and tanky stuffs but very little on 10 stack casts mostly and generally on half regen maps only where I cant run high lvl AA ... =_= )

But yeah searing touch is better then 1h + shield in terms of dps, I was aware what I was giving up for being tankier.
There was transition for me in terms of nodes... It would be hard to compare numbers accurately unless I had my old passive tree.

You can have both your staff and chest 6L !
Pray to RNGesus and he shall grant your wish*

*make sure you stock up ridiculous amounts of fusings prior to fairly self punishing and sometimes depressive test of faith lmao

Been also thinking to run dual wielding using Catalyst and my rare +3 ice gem scepter, I really would like to keep that max res where it is right now tho, feels good. Might as well give it a shot at some point and see if it pans out or not...
Last edited by maotzu on Jan 8, 2015, 11:51:36 AM
"
maotzu wrote:
"
Unfeared wrote:

Thanks.

I'm currently lvl 66 with
Spoiler

What can I do to improve my tankiness? I still fall below 20% when doing maps and I have to be really cautious and spam my instant flasks. I'm res capped with 3.1k hp and 1k ES with disc+clarity+AA.

Can you post passive tree you are using ? Your gear alone is not sufficient info ya giving :X

Sorry, this is my tree atm

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUATwRDyFugp1V8Dmjy8B-iAASz4XOaO4Kb7DgnL5BVGjjAGnGFeuZj_UbX8xGxQjwF73wpT-QiGmw26SSqFm_jap2uEmkXHHF5GGWnCNrduJPr7ij6gsf56EGHtz7-Cti9NsXYJB8Ch2WvtzI0OlhVxoPbBAfsVSqNSRs22PFsrJhfKuvkTLM9X1JTl5VtGZf0akPAVAj0vOprF8HzlSB-WX_GoqNd8g5IEZadYwceU1JFnZrg

Also, is Eldritch battery that important? I'll lose 1.1k ES just for that.
Last edited by Unfeared on Jan 8, 2015, 1:54:48 PM
Well it depends on gear choices but I 've been playing with just AA no IR no armor no nothing and I 've been getting slapped hard too on lower lvls. If you had that Iron reflexes you would have all you evasion converted to armor = profit ! Even if your gear wouldn't provide much evasion you could still run grace to top it up or if someone you partied with used it you would have benefit of that greatly. And I remember I was using manual molten shell on spell echo + faster casting back on my squishy days and you will see double animation having 2 molten shells being casted getting basically twice as much physical absorption out of it. The good thing about molten shell it has no cooldown so if you are expecting incoming damage you can just toss your trap somewhere close and spam molten shell to mitigate.

Having Es is cool but it doesn't do much if you have no damage reduction and everything slaps like a freaking train.

Remember to fix yourself one granite flask like this if you decide to take IR:

You have to understand IR is very beneficial node cause of flat armor it lets you build up numbers from evasion compartments of items such as Carcass Jack or Alpha's Howl and EB helps fix more mana > more mana regen > easier to sustain AA once you get your inner force cluster and have it empowered.

Also IR opens your gear choice for ev / hybrid ev/ something gear too as it will all become armor. Having little dodge is not any better then having bit of physical damage reduction.

Otherwise you are pretty much building glass cannon glorious dps but if something lands on you it will hurt.
Last edited by maotzu on Jan 8, 2015, 9:34:23 PM
So I posted a few days ago asking questions on a few things and now I'm back. . I just hit level 60 in bloodlines and I have 3100hp and run level 13 AA and can move it up to 14-15 as my mana regen is still higher then a degen while moving , onto my question im trying to decide how I push ahead to looking at maps and im not sure what I should aim for. I have 5ish stat nodes left before I just fill out most of my tree with dps/hp nodes to take me into later game. Currently im leaning towards a few more levels of hp before I map grind the 66's and play out the rest of his leveling.

What kind of hp should I aim for before rushing into it or is 3k hp enough to survive and just add to my dmg to prevent bosses/rares from living so long
Could you link your current passive tree , gear & flasks. Its fairly hard to give any advice with out being able to see how does it look more less on your end.

Oh and reason I didn't route that way back in old set up I didn't want to spend extra skill point and I knew I was going to respec eventually.

You can always start doing maps on blue quality they are cheap anyways...and see how hard stuff hits , would be wise to try do them with mods that do not amplify incomming damage at first to more or less evaluate if you are able to do same maps with harder mods.

But low lvl maps are dirt cheap to buy of high lvl players in bulks. There is no shame or loss if you run them blue to see how well your current set up does.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info