Preload summons command line argument

"
sthorn wrote:
Or set this dynamically?
more ram = load more stuff
less ram = load less stuff
and use a priority-list on what to load

Got 32gb ram, i could load most things in i think?

(i got 32gb because it's cheap and i use linux)

Just run the entire game on the ram then like a ramdisk its very easy to setup.
"I'm afraid if I stop drinking the cumulative hangover will kill me" ~ Sterling Archer
IGN: Angryweasel / PopTheWeasel
I am all for giving us more customization options in regards of our machine speed and connection power.
We should be able to customize preloading and timeout-checks based on our connection and machine ressources ourself in the production_config.ini.

I am so fed up with technical deaths due to framedrops from loading summons or even spell effects to the point of the server not realizing disconnects and crashes fast enough to avoid out of game death.

This game should have its difficulty not randomly increased by technical issues arising from what mobs you come across downing your framerates and instances being flawed and vulnerable to crash (palace map anyone?!).

I hope there will be a solution to give the players more freedom of choice in these things. You already let us customize other performance options, so why not give us control about these two things as well?
Last edited by jimsen on Aug 13, 2014, 10:15:05 AM
"
sthorn wrote:
Or set this dynamically?
more ram = load more stuff
less ram = load less stuff
and use a priority-list on what to load

Got 32gb ram, i could load most things in i think?

(i got 32gb because it's cheap and i use linux)

Use a Ram-Disk?
I've actually had rather good results with that in the past (on Linux, running the game under Wine).

Copying Content.ggpk to /dev/shm (which is essentially a dynamically sized ramdisk) and turning the one in PoE's directory into a symbolic link resulted in a lot of the little stutters associated to certain skills going away, and obviously load times become pretty much the time it takes the server to sync.

It's slightly annoying that even though I can easily do this because I have 16GB of memory, Wine only really does a good job of simulating a 32 bit Windows environment so the texture quality still gets locked at Medium.
I have got 14 GB ram so preload would be nice.

How about a command line option that makes the game load literally everything to ram (as if you were using ramdisk) during the initial start. I mean, I know the startup time will increase dramatically for hdd users, but it would also allow for near instant loading screens between maps. I think having option for something like that wouldn't do any harm.
Couldn't this be done in a delayed fashion?

Load the minimum. Then in priority order behind the scenes the game loads all of the resources it needs while you are beginning to log in and load your char and go into the first instance etc. This would allow for a faster start-up and because it is loading the relevant data into memory as you are beginning to play by the time you get to that exile you will likely have loaded all of the relevant textures/resources.

?
"
Chris wrote:
For 1.2.0 I've been trying to update the preload list with more of the commonly used skills and sound effects. This generally comes at the cost of increasing memory usage and load times, but we've made some improvements there too (not preloading 2d inventory art for microtransactions or hideout decorations, for example).

wouldn't the logical option be to have it be dynamic based on total system memory available?

heck you could even just categorize some of the game assets and offer tickbox options for preload/caching in menu.
My Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1338089
Maybe I should just install PoE on ram and have no load times at all?
I have no idea how to breathe.
Last edited by W4rpCore on Aug 18, 2014, 3:36:16 AM
"
Chris wrote:
For 1.2.0 I've been trying to update the preload list with more of the commonly used skills and sound effects. This generally comes at the cost of increasing memory usage and load times, but we've made some improvements there too (not preloading 2d inventory art for microtransactions or hideout decorations, for example).

An exile spawned from a box with white mobs, couple of seconds later he casts something that freezes my screen and when it unfreezes I'm dead. Rip Beyond league. Fix this crap, please :(
IGN: MyOtherRangerDied // DontBeStupidAndDieAgain // GenericSporkerWitch
https://google.com
"
liquidSG wrote:
An exile spawned from a box with white mobs, couple of seconds later he casts something that freezes my screen and when it unfreezes I'm dead.

Clearly in that case the usual advice regarding boxes and lags won't work.

Indeed I have no answer to address this case, so for this time I side by you on this complain (even if it didn't happened to me... yet!).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info