New large map was added without notice?

My guild noticed that an additional "large" (2v2+) arena was added to the set of large arenas recently. But we have no idea when this was done, or if there are any more new ones, since nothing was ever announced by GGG!

It uses either the Crypt or Dungeon tileset, I don't remember exactly. There is a large raised platform in the middle of the map. Noone has taken any screenshots of it yet as far as i know.

Anyway, I'm mostly wondering why GGG wouldn't at least mention something like this in the patch notes. What other sneaky PVP things have you done lately without telling us GGG??? Perhaps you made Flameblast not suck since I last tried it?
Last edited by Fightgarr on Aug 9, 2014, 12:38:50 PM
So they were working on pvp all along, just in the shadow :O

Joking aside, I really want to see this map now :P

And it is weird it didn't make it into the patch notes. Maybe they forgot to ask: "What have we added in pvp that I can add to patch notes?"
IGN: @GreenDude
"
GreenDude wrote:
So they were working on pvp all along, just in the shadow :O

Joking aside, I really want to see this map now :P

And it is weird it didn't make it into the patch notes. Maybe they forgot to ask: "What have we added in pvp that I can add to patch notes?"

maybe they havent done anything pvp in patches for so long that it slipped their mind Kappa

We should just get some pvp going trying to find the new layouts, reset map each time its not a new one :P
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
I have seen that map two times when playing 3v3. For some reason it is rarely seen. It's not new.
IGN: Beardedwizzard
I looked into this, but as far as I can tell, there has been 7 large PvP arenas available for a long time. Nothing has changed recently.

-Docks
-Battlefront
-Solaris
-Catacombs
-Ship Graveyard
-Riverways
-Prison

They should all have an equal chance to be spawned.

I tried running like 50 3v3s, and got all of them multiple times, although for me personally Ship Graveyard and Docks were the least common (probably due to the small sample size).
Code warrior
"
Rhys wrote:
I looked into this, but as far as I can tell, there has been 7 large PvP arenas available for a long time. Nothing has changed recently.

-Docks
-Battlefront
-Solaris
-Catacombs
-Ship Graveyard
-Riverways
-Prison

They should all have an equal chance to be spawned.

I tried running like 50 3v3s, and got all of them multiple times, although for me personally Ship Graveyard and Docks were the least common (probably due to the small sample size).

I don't think it's anything new, but it seems like they're talking about the specific seeds for different maps. I know there's a couple of super rare versions of some (for 3v3) that I've seen only a few times out of hundreds of games.
Last edited by MrEnzyme on Aug 10, 2014, 1:38:12 AM
Yes unfortunately maps have seeds and this is suprisingly bad because some of the seeds are absolutely bad especially when compared to anothrr more balanced seed. I really hope we can pick a good seed and keel it there as the default.

I remember getting a shipyard seed where nothing spawned. It was literally a empty square pier.
Oh. Well that's strange. It seems like the only large arenas that ever spawn are Battlefront, Riverways, Solaris, and Prison though. I honestly couldn't tell you what large Docks (same as small?), Catacombs (probably the one we thought was "new"?), or Ship Graveyard look like.

That's RNG I guess?

EDIT: actually there is at least 1 configuration of Catacombs that spawns pretty regularly too, now that I think of it. So the "new" map we saw must have been a super-rare seed of Catacombs that we just never got before, like Enzyme said.
Last edited by Fightgarr on Aug 10, 2014, 1:54:42 PM
"
GreenDude wrote:
Yes unfortunately maps have seeds and this is surprisingly bad because some of the seeds are absolutely bad especially when compared to another more balanced seed. I really hope we can pick a good seed and keel it there as the default.

I remember getting a shipyard seed where nothing spawned. It was literally a empty square pier.

Having a single fixed seed would prevent this, but would stifle any minor variations. Not sure if the trade-off is worth it?

But if you guys see any really bad ones you can type /bug and submit a bug report, as per usual. That will let us see what the seed is, so we can replicate it and maybe see if we can tweak the level to be less likely to end up "bad".
Code warrior
"
Rhys wrote:
"
GreenDude wrote:
Yes unfortunately maps have seeds and this is surprisingly bad because some of the seeds are absolutely bad especially when compared to another more balanced seed. I really hope we can pick a good seed and keel it there as the default.

Having a single fixed seed would prevent this, but would stifle any minor variations. Not sure if the trade-off is worth it?

But if you guys see any really bad ones you can type /bug and submit a bug report, as per usual. That will let us see what the seed is, so we can replicate it and maybe see if we can tweak the level to be less likely to end up "bad".

I really wish i had done that. I may have footage of the fight/map on my computer tho. Just sony vegas has been buggy lately so i havent uploaded them.

There are seeds that spawn empty fields. Rarely on catacombs/shipyard and more regularly on like coast. Coast has either no obstacles or it has those obstacles that prevent movement but still allow projectiles to fly over. Those very common coast seeds are like a big " f*** you" to melee. And even tho melee is strong, having a map balanced against melee isnt good balance. Once classes are on a more even playing field, that map will suck hard.
Last edited by GreenDude on Aug 13, 2014, 8:40:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info