Still a great game, just honestly looking for reasons to keep playing...

If you aren't interested in party or trade, you might as well start a new guy. You're less likely to get sick of the grind, and may end up finding some sweet uniques or stuff that count as upgrades.

If I were you, I might try a spell or totem focused build. Because a lot of the damage is dependent on gem level, you aren't as stuck if you don't find a great weapon.

Also, D2 was totally playable without trading. In fact, a friend and I played through the entire game wearing nothing but blues. And we didn't trade for them, everything was from vendors or drops on those characters. You could never do that in this game.
Team Won
So this is really an anti trading thread then. OK.

You dont have to trade to progress you have to farm for items then though.

BTW, if you dont want to play a game then dont, no one is forcing you to do so. Youre not married to the game,are you?
"
cladclad wrote:
I hate these threads. This is a multiplayer game.
If it took you two hours to find upgrades on xyz, you're doing something wrong.
If your max level character is 75 you haven't done enough research on the skill tree, gems, or maybe even game mechanics to be able to complain about lack of endgame.

I don't know where you're getting "two hours" from. The quote was 2 minutes, and the post above yours says why I don't use xyz. It's nothing to do with time.

And it's not a multiplayer game. Not if you don't go looking for it. It's a single-player game with shared towns, an economy and co-op. "Sounds like multiplayer" - you say? I work in software, with nerds like me. I know plenty of people who play or have played this, most of whom are into MMOs and all that stuff. None of them have played this multiplayer. Not out of preference (like me), they just haven't. Because for a lot of people this is the kind of game you play into the distinctly anti-social hours. Bottom line: if I did heroin, I'd do it alone. And "that's not the way you're supposed to do heroin" doesn't cut it. Unless you want to take turns, and you can tell me how to play this and I'll tell you how to eat a sandwich (spoiler alert; you'll need to practice handstands). Because what I lack in this game, I make up for in eating sandwiches. Don't mean to brag, but I am GREAT at eating sandwiches.

"
So this is really an anti trading thread then. OK.

You dont have to trade to progress you have to farm for items then though.

BTW, if you dont want to play a game then dont, no one is forcing you to do so. Youre not married to the game,are you?

No it's not!! It's become about that because I don't want to trade so at some point I have to say 'no, thanks, not for me' to that suggestion, and then people start telling me I'm playing it wrong and it becomes a thing. There are other posts for that. With this one I'm honestly looking for ideas (like the below).

I do want to play it, obviously. It's a great game, first thing I said there in the thread title. And nothng else is grabbing my attention right now. I just feel like I've wasted 2 hours of my life every time I stop. An RPG NEEDS a sense of progression, looking for ways to get that back.

"
ggnorekthx wrote:
If you aren't interested in party or trade, you might as well start a new guy. You're less likely to get sick of the grind, and may end up finding some sweet uniques or stuff that count as upgrades.

If I were you, I might try a spell or totem focused build. Because a lot of the damage is dependent on gem level, you aren't as stuck if you don't find a great weapon.

This is good advice! Haven't thought about spells being different this way and how it affects the item game, been too inclined to melee, but it makes sense.
SOMEHOW and I don't want to do it by trading

Okay, you know how this game works.

Rng farm

Trade.

I want to fly but I don't want to do it with a plane or wings.

VI
"
SOMEHOW and I don't want to do it by trading

Okay, you know how this game works.

Rng farm

Trade.

I want to fly but I don't want to do it with a plane or wings.

Helicopter or jet pack (if you want to describe rotor blades as 'non-fixed wings'). "Rng farm" could be the entire playable game - so I'm looking for more intersting ways to do this bit. It's a fairly big and complex game, so there are actually different ways of playing it, and maybe some I haven't thought of (or given enough thought to) even though I'm very very smart. I've had a few good responses, so it's a valid question and proven worth asking :)
I don't understand how you can be 75 and have to do piety runs..... You either lack game knowledge or you simple forget to cap your resistance and keep running with the wrong stats.

Just after i kill piety in merciless I farm docks till around 68, start going trough my stash and cap myself on 75% res except chaos. I don't care what item level or stats as long as get my resistances capped, sorting the stats comes later. I than jump into the 66 maps I had gathered from levelling merciless and that's it... I have not had a char that was ever able not to do maps and all my guild members do this.

Instead of asking for a way to get over your boredom of farming lunaris, you should post your build and gear and ask what your doing wrong because running piety at 75 ...yeah you clearly do not get Poe. And please do not say you need to trade. Capping yourself to do maps can be easy done with self found gears. Sure you might have to use lower level gear but to start maps it should not be a problem.
I can't believe this thread is still going. OP is clearly a troll. Says he likes D2 nostalgia but doesn't care to trade? Then makes random nonsense arguments about basically wanting to be handed a workable char/upgrades/etc for that char, knowing its an RNG based game and if you can't RNG your upgrade... you have the option to trade for it. Also your char sounds like it's built horribly if it can't even clear act 3 merc and you've been farming it non-stop and dying.

"I want to fly but I don't want wings or a plane" like the guy said above. Totally on point.

Edit:

Btw, you said ARPGs need a sense of progression? Do you know what upgrading a gear slot via trading when you've reached end game and are doing actual content is called? Progressing. You need to re-roll like everyone (including myself) has suggested at some point, trade for the gear that you need to make your char not suck, or just keep farming/dying where you are in because clearly you are in standard so just hope you RNG whatever you need off of Piety.
Last edited by FadedCC on Jul 26, 2014, 1:05:53 AM
"
So obviously I don't trade and the game is geared towards that. But i don't want to do it. I don't want to be the best human videogame player, I want to be the baddest mutha in Wraeclast, and I sure as H3ll don't want that to depend on the pass-me-downs of someone so far above me they can afford to sell off what to me is a superweapon for what to them is small change. It just breaks the game for me. Eh... I'm not going to rehash the pros and cons, you know 'em already.

If you don't want to trade and "be the best", it is probably Game Over for your char. PoE has only 3 acts, which are really short, in fact. More content might be coming, lengthening game a little bit, but this is how late game looks - and not only in PoE. If GGG allowed players to progress endlessly with no "gear walls", "difficulty walls" and "RNG walls" there would be no difficulty or challenge - just grind. If you want to get higher than your lvl 75, you need to dig a little deeper. Grinding monsters ain't enough at this point :V
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"Hello! So the Atziri patch seemed to kill off my character"

Go and show her who's the man. Thats your new goal.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info