My shadow dies too often, suggestions welcome

Hi everyone, this is my first character and I thought it was cool to do a CoC build. I was lucky to find a Tabula and therefore I can use a 6 link. However I die too often in maps 70+ (I play solo) and I need to find a way to make my character more resistant. All resistances are 75% but with no armour the fights against bosses 70+ are tough and with some of them just impossible.
All suggestions are welcome on how to improve my shadow and make him more resistant. Thankfully in august we are going to have a free full re-spec 

My passive are here

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYABH4FfQW1BfkOSA-rES8RlhXwFr8ZiiP2JDwk_SaVJ6ktgzBxMHwyATpCOlhJUUp9S3hRR1M1VUtW6lb6WkhabWHiYetirGegbWxte3BScFZwu3DVdEF313pTfyt_xocZh3aH24hCjDaNfY2_kBuXBpmamhObJpu1naOdqqc0p1yqf6q4shm0OLVItvfAUcHFxKLGos961CPVT9aK1p3ZE9vU3ajed97244TlGedU53To1usU62PuDu_w8-r79fyr_MX_kw==

My gear is below, I still have the mana leech gem in Tabula. I just did a map with no mana regenaration, otherwise I have Arctic Breath there

Last edited by perafelix on Jul 23, 2014, 11:17:47 PM
I can't really pinpoint what your main problem is. But i use this guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/821284/page/1 for a very similar coc build and i almost never die or take any damage and have no problems with bosses.

So with that in mind if you want a better charachter use that build.
Last edited by kompaniet on Jul 23, 2014, 11:52:59 PM
Personally, Ethereal Knives isn't really what I'd use for blinding (especially if you're trying to use it against bosses); a flame totem, or smoke mines, would do better in that regard if you can get your hands on them (you haven't mentioned whether you're willing to trade or twink).

Also, regular skeletons to complement your Vaal skeletons can make for an extra few distractions (especially in conjunction with blinded opponents).
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
you have no armour/es/evasion to mitigate damage. Everything will hit you like a truck.
IGN: Grave_Intentions
$$$ Grave Intentions Flame Totem MFarmer: I'm Cheap 'n' Easy $$$
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/979802
get faster weapon. Crit per second is your main stat. 1.2 aps is terrible. There are much better daggers from couple of chaos on xyz.. It would improve your kill speed, thus survavibility
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
I would say you need life leech....

- you have phys life leech on dagger....but yr skills dont do phys damage!
- you have life leech from cold on yr belt....but yr skills dont do cold damage!

what i would do:

1. changing coc skill to EK (instead of arc/fireball) -> now you actually can leech life from phys dmg
2. change yr doryani for a phys leech one
3. get the best shield ingame for a few chaos -> perandus crest, it gives you another 3% life leech
4. get a faster crit dagger (for coc you want much crit and speed)
5. feel good being OP :P
Last edited by OleOlof on Jul 24, 2014, 3:59:16 AM
"
OleOlof wrote:
I would say you need life leech....

- you have phys life leech on dagger....but yr skills dont do phys damage!
- you have life leech from cold on yr belt....but yr skills dont do cold damage!

what i would do:

1. changing coc skill to EK (instead of arc/fireball) -> now you actually can leech life from phys dmg
2. change yr doryani for a phys leech one
3. get the best shield ingame for a few chaos -> perandus crest, it gives you another 3% life leech
4. get a faster crit dagger (for coc you want much crit and speed)
5. feel good being OP :P

except life leech from dagger and Crest of perandus works only with attacks, EK is a spell
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
oh, wasnt sure about that. in that case i would just get a faster dagger and using a life leech gem.
What about Ice Spear+Arctic Breath+Fireball? This way I should get enough life leech from 2 cold spells with that belt. For sure I need a faster dagger, i agree. I think my problem is also I don't have enough block. Maybe with the new respec in august I can go for shield nodes and choose a better blocking shield...
personally i think you need proper chest armour, thats your main source of defense and you are not wearing one. I like acrobatics, but I think u need something like a lightning coil to really be super tanky with it.

My coc dagger char uses iron reflexes, it strted as an ek caster so armour for reflect with needed. If I could get another 6L coil and manage GGGBBB on it I might consider switching to acrobatics as thats how I run my life based melee dagger build and its super duper tanky. That said, the melee dagger one has serious gear.

Personally Im not a fan of the cold spells, if you want more survivability rather than drop arc/fireball for cold spells to get leech from the belt Id just drop arctic breath for life gain on hit to trigger off the spec throw and get a far faster dagger, like 1.5 aps+. Too fast and u may have mana issues though, might be worth testing out what you can sustain with random faster weapons u find before u vendor them. Get a leather belt with tons of life or a fire/lightning one.

Things like block, acrobatics, theyre very good defense, I use both on my melee dagger as Ive said. But, but but but, coc is a very points tight setup. To get enough life, crit and defense is hard and I dunno how much u can afford to spec into stuff like that at the expense of stacking basic life + armour/evasion. When I tried to calculate even speccing acrobatics and using a coil it was extremely tight to say the least and Im working with a lvl92 points tree. Atm you got no life regen and theres a lot of points being spent between the shadow and ranger, Im not convinced theyre doing enough for you given the investment.

Ill link my current tree and gear, Im not suggesting you follow it because we are different classes and you dont have the same gear but I know for sure this works if its of any interest.

Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAAYAXgHRBH4FLQX5CC4OSBGWFSAV8BX2GNsZihmOIWAj9iQ8JJ0k_SaVJ6kppSpNLOktgy9vOlg_J0CgSVFKfUrITipTNVVLVvpaSFptW69d8mBLYlpieWKsZ6BsFm1sbXtwUnBWcLtw1XTtdPF67311f8aD24cZh3aIQow2kBuXBpoTm42btZ1jnaOdqp65pLGnXKxHrs-v67Q4tUi748BRwcXEos5x0O7TftUA1U_WndkT29TdDd5344TlGeWO51TrLOuO7YPuDu967_DyHfej-_X8S_yr_MX-ug==

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info