http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Spoiler
"
unsane wrote:
Troll thread gets 3 GGG responses. Le sigh.
I do my best to assume people aren't trolling, and respond to them as such. Sometimes you get pleasantly surprised because an initial post that seems trolly was actually just the result of poor wording or lack of language skills, and something good can come from it - useful discussion or the poster can learn about something. And in the other case, being reasonable about things to an unreasonable person costs me at most a few minutes of typing.
The good case has occurred more often than I'd expected (if less often than I'd like), and enough to convince me that for the most part it's worth continuing this way.

A point for consideration: Inex, do you believe that there's any room at all in the system of responding to posters breaking the rules for support to merely warn a player that an action they've taken is against the rules?

Because I definitely do. I think someone could genuinely not know the rules (in an ideal world, of course, everyone would read the rules before posting, but I'm not naive enough to believe that'll happen), and could do something which, though against the rules, isn't serious enough to warrant any action more than a warning that it's against the rules and they should thus refrain from doing it in future. I like that our system can be that lenient when appropriate.

But under your system where no previous actions can be taken into account, and repeated actions must receive the same punishment every time, warnings can't exist. Because the basic nature of a warning is such that it must be escalated on the next offence.
Saying "This is against the rules, so please don't do it again or we'll have to do X" is a warning.
Saying "This is against the rules, so please don't do it again or we'll send you this exact message again" is not a warning by any reasonable working definition.

And the warning doesn't work as a warning unless it actually is followed up with X the next time that rule is broken (or at least, while it might work on that particular user, not following up warnings as policy means users as a whole will learn warnings aren't followed up on, which removes the point).

To put it in another context, I have no problems with a policeman being able to pull someone over for speeding, point out how fast they were going over the limit, and then let them off with a warning not to do it again.
I do have a problem with the kind of person who, on being given such a warning, speeds past the same cop 10 minutes later and when presented with a fine says "WTF is this bullshit, last time I did the same thing I just got a warning, how can you justify giving me a fine now just because it's a second time?"

EDIT: I'd also just like to remind people - just in case, I'm not saying this has been a problem so far - to keep it as general as possible in here. While I think there's some merit in discussing broadly why certain methods of moderation could or could not be useful and their consequences, specific discussion of how Support handles/handled a particular case or set of cases isn't allowed on the forums for good reason. I'd prefer not to see this thread reach a point where it's considered to cross the line, and I respect that I'm not the one who gets to draw that line, and will stand by any support member's decision should they believe this thread has crossed it. So lets try to keep as far from the line as we can while we continue to discuss this.

Mark, the quality of your posts is always astounding, just want you to know that whenever you lend your insight towards the forums I always appreciate it.
The way I see it, GGG owns this place, and any whim of theirs regarding how we should conduct ourselves while we are guests on the property they own should be respected by us, at least in terms of what we do on said property. We can go elsewhere if we don't like it.

As it turns out, their whim is to play the role of rather gracious hosts who decide to operate by a code rather than whim. Ironically, this is still a whim, but it's one where respect comes easily. They would be well within their rights to change this whim at any time.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 25, 2014, 1:08:04 AM
"
Saying "This is against the rules, so please don't do it again or we'll send you this exact message again" is not a warning by any reasonable working definition.

Irony at its finest. Aside from Michael every supporter sends the same copypasta.
Tell them to stop using ctrl+v because it's annoying and they will never PM you again.

Probations and Bans only affect users who actually care.
You only make users switch to more and more ALT accounts.

If I want to call some streamer doing compensated PR jobs an advertisement joke I will do it.
Once the person has read it the goal has been accomplished.
Probations are only an effect to protect those users and in some cases the [RbS] only make some people interested in the original message and look in the web archive.

Continious offensive postings mostly have an origin, that might be PoE turning into a bad game, the company using despised methods having a positive attitude about them.

Everything adds up.
The game receives the community it deserves and PoE is a game with a high frustration factor.

Stuff like "We will ban RMTers" but only warning them so they switch their account.
"Banning cheaters is a high OB priority(2012)" and not a single line of detection code in the client are stuff angering players.
Oh yeah you have an epic server detection throwing out false positives giving cheaters a good chance to be unbanned caused by the game content anyway, such as flagging as bot when somebody opens all chests in an area or opens to many instances.
Corrupted sidezones have shown that even legitimate players on stream got autobanned if they rushed through sarn with QS flasks looking for Sideareas.

You want a better community then reduce the frustration factor of the game.

"
While I think there's some merit in discussing broadly why certain methods of moderation could or could not be useful and their consequences, specific discussion of how Support handles/handled a particular case or set of cases isn't allowed on the forums for good reason.

Because it would uncover selective moderation to protect users good for the company.

People started to dislike the podcast once GGG got involved and only waited for a situation to butcher the hosts. If that happened on forums support would remove the same amount of posts as in SC vs HC.

Then GGG doesn't want to see SC vs HC posts but for almost 2 years you supported the creation of HC elitism because you wanted PoE to receive a hardcore reputation at all costs.
I understand what you are trying to say and where you are coming from. I've been in a similar situation.

Determining administrative action based upon previous infractions, no matter how trivial, just doesn't work well at all.

Take this hypothetical example:

-Two users break the same forum rule.
-User A has been around for 2 years with three minor infractions on their account out of 3,000 total posts.
-User B has been around for 2 months with no infractions out of 30 posts on their account.

Who should receive the harsher punishment?

Answer:
Spoiler
Neither.

The longer a user remains on a forum, the more infractions they are likely to accumulate over time. How can you justify a harsher punishment for User A when they have contributed so much already? How can you justify a harsher punishment for User B when they clearly are not accustomed to a new rule- set?
"
Boatsniper wrote:
I understand what you are trying to say and where you are coming from. I've been in a similar situation.

Determining administrative action based upon previous infractions, no matter how trivial, just doesn't work well at all.

Take this hypothetical example:

-Two users break the same forum rule.
-User A has been around for 2 years with three minor infractions on their account out of 3,000 total posts.
-User B has been around for 2 months with no infractions out of 30 posts on their account.

Who should receive the harsher punishment?

Answer:
Spoiler
Neither.

The longer a user remains on a forum, the more infractions they are likely to accumulate over time. How can you justify a harsher punishment for User A when they have contributed so much already? How can you justify a harsher punishment for User B when they clearly are not accustomed to a new rule- set?

What you describe is the decay of past infractions driven by time. It is nowhere near the binary suggestion OP supplies and is a concept Support is probably familiar with.
BUMP for good thread.

I am currently living what I feel is an incredibly harassing experience. Without going in to ALL of the details (against forum rules) let's just say that not only did I coin a phrase, I was using that phrase for months and months - only to wake up to a probation. My last probation has been several months ago, and by all truth: I have been following the rules of the forums to the best of my ability - I never rail off on anyone, and I have even been doing my best to post positively. I've tried to change my attitude.

The main issue I have is that I've always spoken my mind - often the most unpopular opinions about game design and philosophy. I feel very strongly about certain things - and that not only pissed off GGG, but also I've gotten into very heated discussions - which in turn also pissed off GGG.

I've been placed on forum "hit list" and I am monitored likely every 48 hours. I can picture it even - "Guys - someone check on Isbox1's post history." - so I know it's happening, and therefore I do my ultra best to follow the rules.

What happens is that other posters clearly break forum guidelines... posting flames my way - antagonizing - posting jerk comments up and down my threads - and even if I report them it's like my report button should just be greyed out. I feel incredibly ignored. I've even sent personal notes to several GGG mods on occasion questioning certain really obvious ones. (I love that time 2 months ago someone called me a F'n Idiot clear as day - I reported it - and the post gets an edit. You watch how many months probation I would get if I call someone ANY name even with no explicit in front of it.)

It's like they make these rules as a trip wire for their "hit list" people to fall on and then probate - rather than using them to encourage a healthy community. They allow others to nip and bite at my heels and then protect those same antagonistic, flaming posters by only editing their posts. IF I react I get probation... so I have to live with it and let them behave that way towards me. The rules are not there to defend me - they are there to serve to punish me when I finally break down and make a reactionary post. Again: it doesn't matter how often I report someone for a CLEAR violation of the rules - only to have their post 48 hours later edited out AFTER THE FACT and NEVER suffer probation. So really: what's even the point?

Let me be very clear here too: I don't want someone to suffer probation. I want to be able to defend myself - or be defended by the moderators. I want the rules to actually matter and be the same, equally to everyone involved. It's not a game to me. This isn't fun maneuvering through a mine field every time I post - carefully watching my tone, and watching what I say in the face of someone calling me names, and antagonizing me. Nothing I would want more than to react in kind... but I'm not allowed to.

It's really a massive double standard. The only thing this last probation taught me was: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. I am going to be extremely vocal - WITHIN THE RULES - about how GGG forum moderation is currently really broken.
"
Isbox1 wrote:
BUMP for good thread.

I am currently living what I feel is an incredibly harassing experience. Without going in to ALL of the details (against forum rules) let's just say that not only did I coin a phrase, I was using that phrase for months and months - only to wake up to a probation. My last probation has been several months ago, and by all truth: I have been following the rules of the forums to the best of my ability - I never rail off on anyone, and I have even been doing my best to post positively. I've tried to change my attitude.

The main issue I have is that I've always spoken my mind - often the most unpopular opinions about game design and philosophy. I feel very strongly about certain things - and that not only pissed off GGG, but also I've gotten into very heated discussions - which in turn also pissed off GGG.

I've been placed on forum "hit list" and I am monitored likely every 48 hours. I can picture it even - "Guys - someone check on Isbox1's post history." - so I know it's happening, and therefore I do my ultra best to follow the rules.

What happens is that other posters clearly break forum guidelines... posting flames my way - antagonizing - posting jerk comments up and down my threads - and even if I report them it's like my report button should just be greyed out. I feel incredibly ignored. I've even sent personal notes to several GGG mods on occasion questioning certain really obvious ones. (I love that time 2 months ago someone called me a F'n Idiot clear as day - I reported it - and the post gets an edit. You watch how many months probation I would get if I call someone ANY name even with no explicit in front of it.)

It's like they make these rules as a trip wire for their "hit list" people to fall on and then probate - rather than using them to encourage a healthy community. They allow others to nip and bite at my heels and then protect those same antagonistic, flaming posters by only editing their posts. IF I react I get probation... so I have to live with it and let them behave that way towards me. The rules are not there to defend me - they are there to serve to punish me when I finally break down and make a reactionary post. Again: it doesn't matter how often I report someone for a CLEAR violation of the rules - only to have their post 48 hours later edited out AFTER THE FACT and NEVER suffer probation. So really: what's even the point?

Let me be very clear here too: I don't want someone to suffer probation. I want to be able to defend myself - or be defended by the moderators. I want the rules to actually matter and be the same, equally to everyone involved. It's not a game to me. This isn't fun maneuvering through a mine field every time I post - carefully watching my tone, and watching what I say in the face of someone calling me names, and antagonizing me. Nothing I would want more than to react in kind... but I'm not allowed to.

It's really a massive double standard. The only thing this last probation taught me was: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. I am going to be extremely vocal - WITHIN THE RULES - about how GGG forum moderation is currently really broken.

sorry, I didn't read all of your post but here is my view of your situation.

Imo that hitlist feeling you are getting is most likely due to the new report feature than to GGG having an actual hit list.

as you said you got in many heated disscussions in the past and most likely now have many "haters" that just go thought all of your post history and hit that report button at any given the chance in the hope of getting you probated.

Now if every time a GGG support check the report list and see tons of your posts they probably feel obligated to take actions since so many people reported you.

so yeah i might be wrong but I feel that It's more because you aggravated a number of people, who now mass report you and the way support deal with repeated offences than GGG having an actual hitlist.
Last edited by thefredz on Aug 6, 2014, 2:20:24 PM
"
thefredz wrote:

sorry, I didn't read all of your post but here is my view of your situation.

Imo that hitlist feeling you are getting is most likely due to the new report feature than to GGG having an actual hit list.

as you said you got in many heated disscussions in the past and most likely now have many "haters" that just go thought all of your post history and hit that report button at any given the chance in the hope of getting you probated.

Now if every time a GGG support check the report list and see tons of your posts they probably feel obligated to take actions since so many people reported you.

so yeah i might be wrong but I feel that It's more because you aggravated a number of people, who now mass report you and the way support deal with repeated offences than GGG having an actual hitlist.

Could be.

There should be some negative repercussions for false reporting if that is actually the case then. Just because I say something you may not like neither makes me a troll nor makes it a reason to probate me - especially if I am abiding by forum rules.

You may not like what I have to say - but that's ok, because most likely I don't like what you say either. =\

And that's life... learning to live with many differing opinions. Getting along despite our differences.
Jesus christ, at least read what you bump as "good thread" before actually supporting it. The suggestion of OP and what he later on spilled is nowhere near just as you imagine it to be, for various reasons.

I can see your frustration, Isbox. I really can, I think everybody of us is trying to get along with the usual suspects floating around here while everybody might have their strong opinion of one subject or another. And we all are able to insult others through the flower without Support actually jumping in in the first place. See, I got a post of me removed once for something I thought was totally arbitrary.

Someone antagonized me with some stuff, I took the bait. My post got removed, his not. This does not mean that Support understood the situation. This only means someone was offended and they needed to judge it. Judge it in the position of an observant who is not really partaking in the discussion and who, unlike we the participants, probably has no strong emotions towards the subject.

After some mails with support they were able to understand where I came from and why the post was offending. They removed it afterwards. The moral of the story? It is a requirement to not be too invested into any of the ongoing discussions in order to judge deviants fairly. It is the same requirement which makes judging this case-by-case situations hard to judge because you lost this intense connection you deem rational as a poster here.

We shall also not forget that feedback on support is not lost. We perceived many changes to Support quality in the past, for better or for worst is perceived different by different people. This is a reflection of them learning and applying feedback where they seem reasonable. This can also contribute to the perceived "inconsistency". So funny enough, even if they hear you out: Others would start to complain about their inconsistency as they are suddenly judged differently or not at all and this lets other voices raise.

It's a difficult balance which is rather spicy as you don't pull numbers like in the game but are dealing with human. And honestly, I'd love them to probate just more assholes in favor of not getting their time wasted to much and actually help people with technical problems. The issue with this suggestion? Those assholes would probably just do a ban-evade. So they stick with the lesser evil. Rely on a list (I am probably also on, lol) and judge on case by case.

Sorry for this rather in-comprehensive mess. Just wanted to share my view on the problem you perceive, Isbox. Nice to have you back despite being under this unfortunate feedback.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Aug 6, 2014, 3:12:24 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info