Support.

"
it simply means people who continue to do wrong will eventually receive increased penalties

Continue doing something wrong does not make the "something" more wrong.

If someone continues to post "First" on every announcement and get asked to stop it or maybe get a warning about it. He will not get a bigger punishement and will not even get 1 single punishement.

It simply does not deserve a punishement.

Same for higher misdeeds. If something deserves 4-Hour probation then it deserves a 4-Hour probation, whatever the number of times the player repeats it.

Support must not have feelings. It should not "get upset" because someone repeated a misdeed. It has to punish a misdeed for what it is. Number of times does not change anything.
The reason you don't instant ban/imprison people is that you give them the benefit of doubt and a chance to change themselves.

If they continue to prove that they will not change, and that whatever they did was not something that did due to a very special occasion, then, well, eventually they gettin endeth.

It isn't actually that you increase the sentence, it's that you stop lowering the sentence.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
benefit of doubt and a chance to change themselves.

Is all good. IF, the punishement never get out of proportion because of "repeated misdeed".
"
InexRising wrote:
Continue doing something wrong does not make the "something" more wrong.
Even if we accept that (which may or may not be reasonable and I don't see the need to start that argument), it still means you're doing more wrong than just the inital thing.

Doing something once could be because they don't know it's not allowed. It might be appropriate to simply PM the person and let them know, privately, not to do that thing again. If the thing is against the rules because we don't want other people to have to see it, it'll be removed.

If they do it again, then they're now doing the thing and disregarding the instruction not to do the thing. That is worse, and might warrant a minor punishment, or a harsher worded/final warning, etc, depending on the severity of the thing in question.

If someone then actively does the same thing again and again at every opportunity, then they're not only doing the thing, knowing it's not allowed, they're doing so in a way specifically to disregard the rules and express that disregard. More punishment is appropriate.

All of this remains true regardless of the nature of the specific offence being repeated.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 23, 2014, 8:09:01 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

If someone then actively does the same thing again and again at every opportunity, then they're not only doing the thing, knowing it's not allowed, they're doing so in a way specifically to disregard the rules and express that disregard. More punishment is appropriate.

Well, i don't agree here.

You( or SUPPORT) must not have 'feelings'. Rules must be 'somehow' clear, a 4-d probation action should deserve 4-d probation or less. No more punishement is appropriate.

If you give a forum user more than that because he does not want to understand and keep doing it again, then you(SUPPORT) are having 'feelings'

Do you make the exp penalty worse each time a player dies the same way?
( Let's say he went full suicide on Vaal until he beats it). No you don't! And the game does not have 'feelings', if the player does not want to understand his mistake then it's 'OKAY'.

Also, you should let that player have the real benefit of the doubt. Maybe he will be bored of getting that 4-d probation again and again and again? If you give him 8 then 12 days, he will certainly be angry, do something more wrong(on purpose) leave the forum and leave the game.

Not good for GGG nor for a forum user mental health.

Last edited by InexRising on Jul 23, 2014, 8:50:50 PM
"
InexRising wrote:
You( or SUPPORT) must not have 'feelings'. Rules must be 'somehow' clear, a 4-d probation action should deserve 4-d probation or less. No more punishement is appropriate.

If you give a forum user more than that because he does not want to understand and keep doing it again, then you(SUPPORT) are having 'feelings'
You've provided no evidence, reasoning, or explanation as to why this is in any way related to "feelings", and as such I reject that claim.

Allow me to break it down further.

X is against the rules.

User A does X. This warrants some action (punishment/warning/whatever).

User A is instructed not to do X again.

User A has been told not to do X, and does X anyway.
- User A has done X. This warrants some action (punishment/warning/whatever).
- User A has disobeyed a direct instruction. This also warrants some action (punishment/warning/whatever).

In the second case, A has done more wrong, because in addition to doing X, they've also done something else wrong by failing to follow an instruction. Thus a greater total response may be required/appropriate.
Whether there are feelings or not.

I want to make an analogy.
X is against the rules of surviving Area 23.

User A does X and dies. This warrants some action (No punishement/Cruel -Exp%/ merc -EXP% and leaves HC).

User A learns not to do X again.

User A knows he has to avoid X, and does X anyway.
- User A has done X. This warrants some action (No punishement/Cruel -Exp%/ merc -EXP% and leaves HC).
- User A Continue to live in ignorance. This also warrants some... act.. eehm nothing.

Is it that important the player impoves?
__

Now in the case of the forum, is it that important user A stop doing X?
Last edited by InexRising on Jul 23, 2014, 10:25:03 PM
That is not a good analogy at all.

in your situation X is something which is accidental, there is no "intent" of the user A to perform X.

Unless user A is stupid which we are discounting.

In the forum/typing messages, there is intent. The person types it down, and presses enter. This is an intent, they know what they are doing, they are VOLUNTERING to press enter.

And as such because they have intent, we can say "they had intent, and they also had been informed said intent is not a good thing to do", so they are violating two things not one.
I find it utterly bizarre and irrational that GGG takes the time to try to explain this to people. If you don't get it, a few words from Support isn't going to change you. If anything, they should try to contact the offending player's parents and ask them what they were doing instead of parenting.
Real_Wolf:
On area 23, chaos res gear is important.

Entering the area without that gear with the purpose of leveling, and having already gathered the informations about the appropriate gear is clearly.. no accidental.

Yet.. the punishement is the same.
Last edited by InexRising on Jul 23, 2014, 10:44:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info