how does spell echo work with storm call, why does it seem to reduce cast speed when it increases it

with a 19/20 faster casting i get to 4.02 casts per second and i get 6 or 7 (im not sure) storm call markers yet with spell echo i only get 4 markers but my cast speed it bumped up to 4.61 whats going on
I'm pretty sure that Spell Echo forces the 'echo'ed marker to be in the exact same spot as the first one, so you are actually casting 8 storm calls.
okay , but then why do i still only get 4 markers on the ground when i stack both faster casting and echo. once stacked i get my cast speed all the way up to 6.0x but only 4 markers are set still...
I use Storm Call, also with Faster Casting. I can't find this info in the wiki anywhere, but it seems that the 4th cast of the spell sets off previous marks. At least thats the way it seems to behave. If I want to discharge the lightning, I make marks until there are 4. I've never seen more than 4 marks. It would be helpful if somebody could verify this.

A good way to test this would be to put an Increased Duration gem in with it, to extend the discharge time. Then you should have plenty of time to put 5+ out. I'm at work so can't try it out.
Last edited by simballine on Jul 21, 2014, 11:20:13 AM
storm call is not supposed to work on the numbers of markers set. it detonates every 1.5 secs regardless of how many markers there are.

Sorakpoe's explaination makes a lot of sense until u try faster casting + spell echo + stormcall

because ~4 castspeed =6/7 markers
~4.6 castspeed =8 (2 markers each)
but it breaks down when u stack both to get a castspeed of 6 with only 4 markers
I follow. You do get more than 4 markers then when you don't use echo? Maybe its a programming limitation, they may not have allowed to put out more than 8 markers. Could be a bug, echo is new.
yeah your probably right. Im just planning my socketing and gem plan for end game so im stressing out at the most minor details....
"
coffayandtea wrote:
storm call is not supposed to work on the numbers of markers set. it detonates every 1.5 secs regardless of how many markers there are.

Sorakpoe's explaination makes a lot of sense until u try faster casting + spell echo + stormcall

because ~4 castspeed =6/7 markers
~4.6 castspeed =8 (2 markers each)
but it breaks down when u stack both to get a castspeed of 6 with only 4 markers

Not really. If you have 4 casts per second, then in 1.5 seconds you cast 6 markers.

If you have 5 casts per second, the cast time of each marker is 0.2 seconds. So here's what happens:

Time 0: Start casting
0.2: Marker 1
0.4: Marker 2
0.6: Marker 3
0.8: Marker 4
1.0: Marker 5
1.2: Marker 6
1.4: Marker 7
----
1.6: Marker 8

I don't know how exactly the echo'ed cast interacts with the 1.5 second mark, but you see 4 markers because 3 (or 4) of them are hidden by overlapping.

If you have 6 casts per second, or 0.17 cast time, then you still have:

Time 0: Start casting
0.17: Marker 1
0.34: Marker 2
0.51: Marker 3
0.68: Marker 4
0.85: Marker 5
1.02: Marker 6
1.19: Marker 7
1.36: Marker 8
----
1.53: Marker 9

You wouldn't quite be able to get the 5th repeated cast, thus showing 5 markers, until after the 1.5 second mark.
there's also a delay between the chains of explosions. the explosions "appears" to speed up if you have a lot (as in first blows up then next then third seemingly less delay/gap and so on) but its a fixed 80ms (source). there's times where you can "fit" another stormcall marker while explosions are happening.
"
SorakPoE wrote:

I don't know how exactly the echo'ed cast interacts with the 1.5 second mark, but you see 4 markers because 3 (or 4) of them are hidden by overlapping.

Judging from the animation it doesn't have any impact here. The primary benefit of the echoing is lowering your effective mana drain since every other cast is free but the cast time is still going to be the same.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info