[0.10.3b] What's cooler than being cool? Ice Cold Templar

"
This guide was last updated on: 16. March, 2013. Game Version 0.10.3b

I've neglected this build for quite some time; but I decided to come back to the thread and keep managing it.

This is a polished rework of the old Ice Cold Templar, a build which seemed quite popular, but died due to being outdated and not quite efficient. In the rework I present some major changes, some of which also make this build kind of unique in the crowd of Freezing Pulse builds out there.

Build

Spoiler

The bandit rewards are Skill point - Skill point - Skill point, and that makes the 103 points build a level 81 character.

The left side of the tree looks like a classic CI Templar, more or less. I grabbed Elemental Adaptation, which becomes extremely useful in the endgame.

In the middle we take the beautiful Inner Force ring, which is going to buff many aspects of this character.

Taking the path below the witch area to open up the option to take the energy shield nodes, and it is shortest path to connect to the right side of the tree. We connect at the little mana ring; which provides a much needed buff to our mana.

In the witch starting point, the only interesting, efficient line to take is the ES/mana line, so we grab all the goodies there before we continue...

...to grab the CI keystone and the absolutely amazing Infused Shield buff. In order to further increase survivability in dangerous situations, Ghost Reaver is the best option.

The remaining points are spent in the Shadow starting area, and only the efficient crit nodes and the extra dexterity are taken; both crucial to the success of the character.

Skills

Spoiler
The main skill this build revolves around is Freezing Pulse.

4L - FP + GMP + Increased Crit Strikes + Cold Penetration
5L - FP + GMP + Increased Crit Strikes + Cold Penetration + Faster Casting/Life Leech

We want to crit strike with the Freezing Pulse. That way everything is kept frozen. With the passives and this gem setup, we get our FP to 35% crit chance. Cold Penetration gives a flat damage boost, and Faster Casting and Life Leech alternate depending on the type of enemy you are fighting. Don't fight reflect packs without Life Leech!

Secondary skill: 4L - Ice Spear + Spell Totem + GMP + Elemental Proliferation

Auras: 3L - Clarity + Discipline + Reduced Mana

Utility: 4L - Frost Wall + Faster Casting + Increased Duration + Temporal Chains

Curses: 4L - Critical Weakness + Frostbite + Increased AoE + Increased Duration

Buffs: 3L - Blood Rage + Faster Casting + Lightning Warp

A few notes on the gameplay! IMPORTANT!

Spoiler
- Freezing Pulse with GMP can overlap projectiles so all of them hit the same target, to do this you need to aim your cursor at the end of the screen
- Freezing Pulse with GMP shows five times smaller DPS than it actually provides
- Ice Spear totem is a key to success, use it always and everywhere
- both Ice Spear and Freezing Pulse can pass through Frost Wall, so use that to your advantage
- don't use offensive curses such as Critical Weakness or Frostbite on Elemental Reflect monsters, curse them with Temporal Chains
- use Frostbite on monsters resistant to cold or maps with cold resistance mods, for other monsters use Critical Weakness
- use your Sapphire Flask while fighting Elemental Reflect mobs

Items

Spoiler
Here I will try to list the main stats you should be looking for on gear.

Armour - high ES with resistances
Helmet - high ES with resistances
Gloves - high ES with resistances
Boots - high ES with movement speed and resistances
2x Wand - high spell damage, crit chance, mana regeneration, cast speed, projectile speed
2x Ring - cast speed, cold damage, resistances if you want, you can replace one ring with Dream Fragments unique
Amulet - Eye of Chayula; if you think you can play safe enough though, skip Chayula and get an amulet with spell power, cold damage, cast speed, energy shield

A short section about Flasks!

Spoiler
Obviously this build does not need any HP flasks, so all you will need are Utility and Mana flasks. Hallowed Mana flasks, Granite Flasks, Sapphire Flasks and Quicksilver Flasks are the interesting ones. You want to have the "Surgeon's" affix on every single flask, and the secondary affix depends from flask to flask. By taking Surgeon's flasks, you ensure to have them filled up very quickly.

Recommended flask setup:
1 Granite - Surgeon's ... of Iron Skin
1 Quicksilver - Surgeon's ... of Adrenaline
1 Sapphire - Surgeon's ... of Savouring
2 Mana - Surgeon's ... of Adrenaline
Life is tough... but it is tougher if you're stupid.
Last edited by VenatorPoE on Mar 16, 2013, 5:22:38 PM
Hello,

I am currently lvl 45 and using successfully very similar build. I was planning on going with some summoning nodes but think I will follow something closer to this instead. I have experimented with a few different weapons and am currently using a dagger / shield for the crit chance. Do you think the spell damages is more important?

Thanks for the post!
"just for try, for see and for know"
Daggers can have Spell Damage affix! Abuse it.
Could you make a youtube video showing off this?
"
whitesocks wrote:
Could you make a youtube video showing off this?

Read the thread again. Hint: the very last paragraph.
Inner Force? I always have taken that when I am in the area you pass by. Always seems to help

30% buff is kinda nice
"
Kajun wrote:
Inner Force? I always have taken that when I am in the area you pass by. Always seems to help

30% buff is kinda nice

Four points to buff Granite Flasks, and a little bit Haste. Not worth it IMO. There are builds which utilize Inner Force much better.

EDIT: forgot Discipline; it is also buffed by Inner Force. However still not worth the 4 points in my book...
Last edited by VenatorPoE on Feb 4, 2013, 9:09:29 AM
It's worth it.
If you wanted to stick with the same points (11 left over) I would suggest dropping one node from somewhere and the 2 int nodes in the witch tree (N and NW of blast radius) and routing the tree through the 3 +5 spell damage nodes. You would lose a little mana and energy shield % but pick up 15% spell damage.

Edit: As for ice spear attach added lightning damage to it frozen and shocked is a nice combo

I have a very similar build, there is something to point out with the skills you want to use. You will NEED to pick up some of the +30 dex and might nodes if you want to level your gems beyond a few levels. After you get good equipment you can respec, but getting over 100 in str and dex is going to be hard without the +100 ammy.
IGN: DrKrills
Last edited by DrKrills on Feb 4, 2013, 1:42:24 PM
"
Aggnog wrote:
It's worth it.

How?

"
DrKrills wrote:
If you wanted to stick with the same points (11 left over) I would suggest dropping one node from somewhere and the 2 int nodes in the witch tree (N and NW of blast radius) and routing the tree through the 3 +5 spell damage nodes. You would lose a little mana and energy shield % but pick up 15% spell damage.

Edit: As for ice spear attach added lightning damage to it frozen and shocked is a nice combo

I have a very similar build, there is something to point out with the skills you want to use. You will NEED to pick up some of the +30 dex and might nodes if you want to level your gems beyond a few levels. After you get good equipment you can respec, but getting over 100 in str and dex is going to be hard without the +100 ammy.

Awesome suggestion on the spell power nodes, thanks. About the +30 attribute nodes; yeah I'm aware of having to pick them up. Added lightning damage would add a miniscule amount of lightning damage, so apparently I'm not familiar enough with how exactly the Shock ailment gets applied in this case? Thanks in advance!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info