[1.2.0] "Forcefield" - Flameblast - EB/MoM/Block - Atziri & Endgame Viable!

The Idea Behind It All
Spoiler
Passive damage mitigation instead of having to rely on leeching life and manually dodging attacks. 78% block/76% spell block that replenishes life/mana. Being able to abuse Cast When Stunned to automatically cast Immortal Call BEFORE you take damage compared to Cast When Damage Taken which does it AFTER you have already been hit.

Spoiler
Being able to run as many of the glowing and sparkling auras and MTX as possible.
Discipline Forcefield, Soul Nexus Clarity & Tempest Shield.

Gameplay Videos
Spoiler
Apex of Sacrifice - 1st Fight

Apex of Sacrifice - 2nd Fight

Apex of Sacrifice - Final Fight - Atziri

Level 78 Courtyard Map - Double Boss, Boss Damage & Shocked Ground

Level 78 Palace Map - Elemental Reflect, Multiproj & Monster Haste

Old Videos

Level 77 Shipyard Map with -17% Maximum Resistances & +4 Additional Projectiles (No Echo)
The build is supposed to rely on burn damage to kill enemies but I end up one-shotting most of them with FB anyway. I could probably clear much faster if I detonated the FB at a lower amount of stacks but I ran this map right after upgrading my weapon from a scepter with 15% elemental damage to Doryani's Catalyst and... well, I kind of didn't know I was this strong.

Apex of Sacrifice - Killing All Bosses
This is only my second time doing it and some parts of it, especially the second fight, could have been done better by cursing with Enfeeble while also doing a better job avoiding the damage over time from the black goo and bleed guy.

Courtyard Double Boss with no other damage mods AFK fight
I found it amusing that I could do this, I hope you get some enjoyment out of it too!

Level 77 Shrine Map with Elemental Reflect, 48% Pack Size & Double Boss (Echo)
The build survives doing full 10 stack hits against large packs of enemies with elemental reflect but would do so better if running Purity of Fire. I can't do that because I corrupted my shield, something I don't recommend if you want to be able to drop Discipline for a better aura.

Level 77 Shipyard Map with Vulnerability, Monster Damage & Shocked Ground (No Echo)
One scary moment right after the boss but other than that a pretty smooth ride.

My Gear
Spoiler

The first of the three Uniques that you need to reach 78% block and 76% spell block. Block becomes stronger as you get more of it so make sure you buy one with perfect or close to perfect %Block Chance Applied to Spells.

Get yourself a Crest of Perandus while leveling as it's one of the best shields you can have before you switch to a Rathpith Globe.

The Second Unique you need to make this build work. These boots are only worth getting once you have a decent amount of block already, unlike the Rathpith Globe which can be better than a rare with decent rolls.

The third and last piece of the Unique item combo.

Reduced movement speed and cast speed does hurt but the life/mana on block just works so well with Cloak of Defiance and when that 10% chance to block is what brings you from 68% to 78% it's going to be a thousand times more valuable than the stats that you are losing.

Try to get your hands on one that has been corrupted to give one of the many great stats that amulets can get from Vaal Orbs.

1% of Fire Damage Leeched as Life - Used to be one of the more important corruptions but with the addition of master crafting you can now easily add it to your weapon. The difference between having no leech and 1% is massive as it allows you to avoid having to constantly chug flasks. Another option is to buy the fire version of Doryani's Invitation or live without life leech until you can get your hands on Doryani's Catalyst.

Enemies can have 1 additional Curse - Arguably the best corruption that you can get. We already get to run two curses so this either saves us 4 passive points or gives us a third curse. I would recommend Flammability, Enfeeble and Elemental Weakness but you are free to switch Elemental Weakness to Temporal Chains for more defense or a different offensive curse if your group deals mainly physical damage.

(2 to 4)% Chance to Block Spells - Why stop at 76% spell block? A more defensive option compared to the other corruptions and something that would be great to have against Atziri.

+1% to all maximum Resistances - While you can get unlucky with your blocks, extra max resist will always reduce the damage that you take. Not only does it help reduce reflected damage but also might end up saving you against elemental damage that could have had one-shot you.

Corrupting one yourself is going to be a costly investment and you might end up wasting all your currency with nothing to show for it. I recommend looking for one being sold on http://poe.trade/ and only try your luck with Vaal Orbs if you have currency to spare and know what you're getting yourself into.

Cloak of Defiance is what lets us spend so many points on block nodes over life and still have a decent "life pool". The %Mana Regeneration will also help you sustain a high level AA and might be enough to let you drop Discipline for either Purity of Lightning or Purity of Fire.

6k combined life/mana is where you'll end up once you have all the life nodes and top life rolls on your rare items. High level maps can be done with less but with the buff to monster damage I would recommend you take it easy in 76+ maps.

The great thing about this weapon is the crazy amount of %Elemental Damage which not only increases the initial hit of Flameblast but also the ignite burn damage. You also get a free Elemental Proliferation for your CWS setup, essentially turning the 3l into a 4l. As if that wasn't enough, it just happens to have "1% of Elemental Damage Leeched as Life" which is all the leech you need.

A good rare with %Elemental Damage implicit and any combination of %Fire Damage, %Mana Regeneration and Cast Speed would work perfectly fine all the way through endgame maps so while the Doryani's Catalyst is a nice bonus, it's definitely not a requirement for the build to work.

You are going to want to get at least some dexterity/strength on these items so that you can use all the gems and equip the rest of your gear.

These items will also be where you get your resists and it's crucial that you do not forget about Chaos Resist! Don't make the same mistake I did. With degen, which most chaos damage is, going right through Mind over Matter, Block and Immortal Call, you're really not left with anything other than your life pool to keep you from dying.

Energy Shield is better than Armour or Evasion but what's most important is getting a base item type that will make rolling the right colors easier, at least while you are leveling and can't afford a bunch of Chromatic Orbs.

Since we are using The Anvil and getting the flask nodes at the Witch starting area you really, really want to get a Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline. Maybe even two, at least until you have a Reduced Duration gem linked to your Lightning Warp. Ruby Flask to deal with reflect when you go to 10 stacks on a big pack of squids.

The Passive Tree
Spoiler
Final 117 point Witch build
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA34rpAv6zVyu9gm0Zl_QI9FJTwFSXlT1fakO86kyzaxdFfisNBAeVIA5cQkuD28HzavqFxVXGgh6io9--OljbC3_GrJgRlvfX8WwOSAcem6E22CGw44Rd8pUuj0Z4L0kbNPc2PZ1j8NUdFDlSKo2XhZ2q5Y5JUfrSvDfsVS6UYqxsjKSxfuI26VgHtMWMNqmVJKrjah6BVUs1gBZvS41h4lFgGmz_HCaVna7kIha_EmnnCylPFxwnYew4cXkG6TrYGjjzvny7p4TFipBV8B-vbASzogDp1RRNDPeDOF4f73w8BZ_fi4wFWxhl

Final 116 point Templar build
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBAcEswVbBukHHgj0DPcOSA5cEZYSaRRNFm8WvxccGGUaOBpsHRQegSGwJKomlSdhKU8qjSsNLR8ulDT3NYA2PTbYNuk5UjpYOtg8BT1fQktFfkbXSRtJUUuNTLNRYFJTVUtVxlgHXfJeH18qYeJirGpDavprF2yMcXl4L3y7fuJ_xoIegziD24XFi4yMNo9GkFWVIJUul4WXlZuhnWOdqp2un9-iAKKjpLGnhKmVrJivbLTFvDe86sBUwfPFitsL377hc-Nq44TkIuWO5wvp1evk7DjsVe0g73zwH_DV8WzzvvfX-tL_HA==

Bandit Quest Reward Choices
Normal: Help Oak for the +40 life
Cruel: Kill All for the passive skill point
Merciless: Kill All for the passive skill point

Leveling Notes

Gems and Links
Spoiler
4l: Flameblast - Elemental Proliferation - Increased Burning Damage - Fire Penetration
5l: Echo
6l: Faster Casting
What's not to like about reaching 10 stacks in 1 second? Once you have the damage, it's time to focus on speed. Concentrated Effect can be used for tough bosses where you do not care about the smaller area of effect.

4l: Cast When Stunned - Enduring Cry - Immortal Call - Increased Duration

3l: Arctic Armour - Faster Casting - Flammability

3l: Faster Casting - Reduced Duration - Lightning Warp

4l: Cast When Stunned - Molten Shell - Life Leech - Enfeeble/Ice Nova

4l: Clarity - Discipline/Purity of Fire - Tempest Shield - Reduced Mana

Leveling Notes
BUY A HIGH QUALITY FLAMEBLAST GEM AS SOON AS YOU CAN!

Most of the gems used in this build benefits greatly from quality, especially Flameblast and Increased Burning Damage for the extra chance to ignite. Since burn damage is a big part of this build you don't want to cast Flameblast and not have it ignite. If you can't afford quality on your Flameblast yet then consider switching out one of the supports for Chance to Ignite instead.

Link Searing Bond to Increased Burning Damage and let it act as a decoy that also happens to kill enemies faster than your Flameblast.

Arctic Armour, Cast When Stunned and Tempest Shield starts to shine later on when you have the items and passive points to make it work. Once you pick up Eldritch Battery and start using Arctic Armour you can use Discipline to help you keep your mana regeneration higher than the drain.

Alternative Gem Setup
4l: Cast When Stunned - Enduring Cry - Immortal Call - Increased Duration

2l: Lightning Warp - Reduced Duration
1l: Flammability

4l: Reduced Mana - Tempest Shield - Purity of Fire - Clarity

3l: Cast When Stunned - Enfeeble - Elemental Weakness
1l: Arctic Armour

3l: Cast When Stunned - Molten Shell - Life Leech

Once you have quality gems and +1 curse on your The Anvil you can switch to this gem setup to have two of your curses automatically cast when you get stunned. Molten Shell is now in a 3l so that when you have Doryani's Catalyst you can take advantage of the free Elemental Proliferation.

Offensive & Defensive Stats
Spoiler

Level 78 Courtyard Map Double Boss - Sufficient Defenses [√]

Thanks for reading my guide!

I'm open to feedback and suggestions so feel free to reply here if you have any!
Last edited by Redoxe on Aug 27, 2022, 2:42:05 PM
Added a video of me killing all the bosses in the Apex of Sacrifice.
Why would you want molten shell with EE and a fire spell as your main source of damage? It'd be better to put ice nova or something on your cwdt instead because then you're not causing EE to be happening because of fire damage. Also, EE in general is bad if you're self casting, etc. Because your main source of damage will be proccing the EE debuff against fire for you. I'd cut it out because in most cases you're just making it harder to kill monsters.

Last edited by Angormus on Jun 27, 2014, 3:24:39 PM
Looks quite interesting, though Apex of Sacrifice looked quite tricky. Might have to try something similar next league.

As for EE, I assume lightning damage from tempest shield and lots of blocking is used to proc it.
"
Angormus wrote:
Why would you want molten shell with EE and a fire spell as your main source of damage? It'd be better to put ice nova or something on your cwdt instead because then you're not causing EE to be happening because of fire damage. Also, EE in general is bad if you're self casting, etc. Because your main source of damage will be proccing the EE debuff against fire for you. I'd cut it out because in most cases you're just making it harder to kill monsters.

Because when Molten Shell goes off the enemies die so there's nothing bad about the enemies having higher fire resist.

The burn that you proliferate is based on the initial hit and if we can make the initial hit as strong as possible with EE then the burn on enemies that didn't get hit with the blast will be able to kill them much faster than if I didn't have EE.

Don't forget that the build also achieves an absurd amount of block which causes Tempest Shield to easily apply EE.
"
EdricWild wrote:
Looks quite interesting, though Apex of Sacrifice looked quite tricky. Might have to try something similar next league.

As for EE, I assume lightning damage from tempest shield and lots of blocking is used to proc it.

As you saw I tried to focus the bleed guy but the proliferated burn killed the dual striker instead. If I'm going to do it again I will make sure to leave the dual striker up for last because with AA, blind and another 2% block he'll be much easier to handle than A'alai (the rain girl).

Self casting Immortal Call would make it safer but more stressful and open to mistakes.

I also picked the worst target in the split phase, the one casting Storm Call was hitting me the least amount of times resulting in EE not being applied. I should have went with the spear one instead.
Last edited by Redoxe on Jun 27, 2014, 3:41:22 PM
Depending on how good your mana and energy shield gear is, Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics could make you a lot tankier.

You'd need some seriously impressive gear though with the 50% reduction.
Drop EE. Initial hit procs fire resist on enemies so they burn slower. You'll need cast FB then immediately something else that overwrites it. Since FB is capable of one shotting 90% of things in the game, you're just wasting time. I specced EE as well on my flameblaster, but it's more of a hindrance than a help - so I dropped it.

I was playing with CwS a lot as well a few months ago.. in the end, they're not as efficient as CWDT. While you can say that CWDT triggers after you take the damage and it's bad, you need to keep in mind that so does CwS. In fact, CwS is worse - it triggers when you take a big hit (stun chance calculated based on dmg/your max HP). The fact that it doesn't trigger 100% of the time makes it even more of a pain in the butt.
If I were you, I would replace the 4L (ec+ic+incr dur+ with a traditional CWDT setup, but keep Molten Shell on CWS. One of the problems of using CWDT w Molten Shell+life leech is the damage loss from CWDT - by using CWS you don't deal with it.

Lastly, you need more cast speed. Don't look at tooltip DPS or your calculated DPS. Think about effective DPS, which includes your charge up time. During charge up, your DPS is 0. So if you look at a 10 second sample of a fight, you'll have ~2-3 sec charge up, one hit for ~40k, another 2-3 sec charge up, another hit - etc. The other big benefit is that during charge up, you stand still and are exposed to damage. In your videos, any time you get in trouble it's because you're charging up a FB. Test it out - grab some ultra cheap gear with cast speed and see how much difference extra ~20-30% makes (for ex grab a Lochtonial Caress or something). If you agree, grab the Swiftness cluster and the 3 4% nodes at shadow start. On my guy, I grabbed the 3 3% nodes next to Conduit as well.

I have a crit flameblaster that has much less defenses (less hp/no block) - and he can run Atziri just fine. After the OP practices a couple of more times, he'll be able to run her with his eyes closed using this build. Absolutely 100% Atziri capable - good job!
"
j0zef wrote:
Drop EE. Initial hit procs fire resist on enemies so they burn slower. You'll need cast FB then immediately something else that overwrites it. Since FB is capable of one shotting 90% of things in the game, you're just wasting time. I specced EE as well on my flameblaster, but it's more of a hindrance than a help - so I dropped it.

I was playing with CwS a lot as well a few months ago.. in the end, they're not as efficient as CWDT. While you can say that CWDT triggers after you take the damage and it's bad, you need to keep in mind that so does CwS. In fact, CwS is worse - it triggers when you take a big hit (stun chance calculated based on dmg/your max HP). The fact that it doesn't trigger 100% of the time makes it even more of a pain in the butt.
If I were you, I would replace the 4L (ec+ic+incr dur+ with a traditional CWDT setup, but keep Molten Shell on CWS. One of the problems of using CWDT w Molten Shell+life leech is the damage loss from CWDT - by using CWS you don't deal with it.

Lastly, you need more cast speed. Don't look at tooltip DPS or your calculated DPS. Think about effective DPS, which includes your charge up time. During charge up, your DPS is 0. So if you look at a 10 second sample of a fight, you'll have ~2-3 sec charge up, one hit for ~40k, another 2-3 sec charge up, another hit - etc. The other big benefit is that during charge up, you stand still and are exposed to damage. In your videos, any time you get in trouble it's because you're charging up a FB. Test it out - grab some ultra cheap gear with cast speed and see how much difference extra ~20-30% makes (for ex grab a Lochtonial Caress or something). If you agree, grab the Swiftness cluster and the 3 4% nodes at shadow start. On my guy, I grabbed the 3 3% nodes next to Conduit as well.

I have a crit flameblaster that has much less defenses (less hp/no block) - and he can run Atziri just fine. After the OP practices a couple of more times, he'll be able to run her with his eyes closed using this build. Absolutely 100% Atziri capable - good job!

Thanks for the feedback and kind words! I'll try what you said but I still see EE as being a great way to get more damage proliferated to the targets NOT hit by the Flameblast. As you said yourself, "Since FB is capable of one shotting 90% of things in the game" and you also saw in the video, everything inside the initial blast died instantly and thanks to EE so did the ones only being hurt by the burn.

I watched the videos I recorded and the only time I could see the EE not be applied was against Atziri in the split phase, and that is something I can fix by attacking the spear thrower instead.

Faster Casting made the skill so much more fun to use so I can definitely see getting more cast speed as beneficial. Although I did pick up the three %cast speed nodes at the Shadow start and did not notice much of a difference when I dropped them.

"
winniethewhor wrote:
Depending on how good your mana and energy shield gear is, Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics could make you a lot tankier.

You'd need some seriously impressive gear though with the 50% reduction.

Interesting idea. I can see it being really strong if you're able to get high ES rolls on your helmet, gloves and rings. With the damage already being good enough there's nothing stopping you from going to Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics for the final points when leveling to 100.

Thank you for letting me know!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info