[1.1.x] Hyaon's Fury Allout Lightning Melee Witch (25-55+% Shock Chance)

This is more a "style" build than the next "cookie cutter".
I'm 100% aware that it would be more useful to use a 2aps elemental sword and not Hyaon's, but this sword is the only reason I'm playing this character. It has to stay.
And while it may not be the strongest build out there, I'm easily mapping, the damage output is great, the tank is enough.

---

Main Build Idea

I use "Hyaon's Fury" to inflict a ton of Lightning Damage in melee.
The physical damage part is negligible, and I actually don't use other forms of elements on purpose, I want only lightning damage.

To survive, I use life, armor and a bit of ES for the good old Aegis Aurora.

There's several options for the main attack, I'm currently using Reave, but I also tested Heavy Strike (140% damage efficiency), Lightning Strike (pseudo AoE) and Frenzy (frenzy charge generation).

I stopped using Frenzy Charges, not exactly because of the drawback, but because I couldn't find a comfortable and convenient way to generate the charges.

Pros
*Interesting character
*Pretty high clearspeed, higher than DpS would suggest (*)
*very high chance to shock (**)
*ok tank

(*): In a perfect world, against a monster with 3 shock stacks on it that has 0% lightning resist, the 15k DpS you'll have with this build almost doubles because of shock, and then there's around -70% resists for the monster, that's another 1.7 damage multiplier, bringing you to around 50k DpS.
In not perfect conditions (monster have lightning resist or are killed before they have 3 shock stacks), the effective DpS is still extremly high.
(**): 25% tree, 10% Atziri Belt, 10% 20q added lightning, 10+% Conductivity)

Cons
*You'll need a 6L, this is very support gem hungry
*The damage is very "spiky" (between 300 and 5600 Damage per hit atm), you oneshoot some monsters, and some take a high amount of hits because you got unlucky several times in a row.
*some monsters (like Curse Immune Rock Golems with extra life) are pretty annoying to kill
*the skilltree "wants a bit too much", so none of it is perfect (no 75% block, no 10k armor without flasks, but at least I got ~250% life)
*not too much attackspeed (hence lower paper DpS, only 10k instead of 20k+ like other builds)

---

A few words on Hyaon's Fury
Spoiler

1. You'll do only Lightning Damage.
...if you are not wearing Abyssus, Meginord's Girdle and physical heavy jewelry, your physical part is just not there.

-> Life and mana leech only work on gems, not on gear.
There's some new items/corruptions with lightning/elemental leech, if you don't get those, you'll have to use a life leech gem. Mana has to be solved via Clarity aura.

-> The damage is spiky
Lightning damage has a huge span in damage. Especially with the way how multistrike works, this can get you some shitty hits in a row, but also some amazing ones. It's a little bit like playing a "crit build".

-> Monster Resistances
You'll note that there's quite a lot of lightning resistant monsters in the game
The most annoying are Necromancers and Rock Golems, as those are kind of tanky. Most other lightning resistant monsters are just food (like little spiders).

2. I feel like the whole "frenzy part" of the sword is not really worth it.

-> increased lightning damage: it's actually not that much.
Of course it helps, but it's not that amazing. I already have ~120% on my gear and ~150% in the tree, what is the additional 60-84% going to do? Not too much.

-> increased damage taken: it hurts, but not too much.
I played with 6 frenzy charges for a while, got oneshot a couple of times by some crits, but I think now, that I'm a little more tanky, I could actually take the beating.

-> Life gain on Kill: not worth it.
This can't replace lifeleech, not against bosses, not even against normal monsters.

-> Frenzy charge generation: inconvenient.
*The Blood Dance boots: No life, no resists, no armor, no ES.
*Blood Rage Gem: No life regen in the tree, the DoT you take is pretty annoying, if not dangerous.
*Frenzy as main attack: Needs a "Splash" gem, so you're sacrificing with another support gem (already sacrificed two slots for life leech and lightning penetration).
*Frenzy as secondary attack: I'm really too lazy for that kind of stuff. ;)

So: you can play with this, but it has serious drawbacks and you don't gain too much out of it. That's why I decided against it.

---

Skilltree
Spoiler

Click me for Lvl 90
*244% life
*a bit of Armor and ES
*147% increased WED, lightning, elemental damage
*a bit of reduced mana to run 4 auras
*62% block with Aegis Aurora

A little twitch, sacrificing 24% life for +2 max resist and 16% chaos resist:
Click me

Why witch?
I like her start, it has a lot of "utility":
Mana, Mana regen, Life, ES.
And I want to make use of the whole Shadow, Templar and Witch zone, she sits right in the middle of it. Also she's cute, the Templar has no pants and the Shadow is ugly as fuck. ;)

How to level?
I went to the Shadow zone first, grabbed all the nodes, then headed to Templar. I leveled with Double Strike and Ethereal Knives until I got Ungil's Gauche -> Mightflay -> some levelling sword -> Hyaon's.
Take life over damage in the beginning, and save shieldblock for the moment you actually own Aegis Aurora.

What else to level after 90?
There's still some lightning damage left, and the Armor/ES left of Templar would be interesting. You can also grab 4% block for 4 points at witch. Or you try Frenzy Charges (1 at shadow, 1 merciless bandit quest).

Really need Resolute technique?
Think so. I actually have some Accuracy Gear available, but it was just too much trouble to get to an ok "chance to hit". Take the Keystone, never worry again.

Don't go for 75% block?
I find it not necessary.
You'll usually get ~60% without much trouble (the quite effficient upper left shield clusters or the strong nodes at Ranger/Duelist/Marauder, depending where you start in the tree), to get the remaining 15%, you'll have to wear BoR (not desired here) or you have to travel very far and/or take very bad shield nodes.
60% is enough, trust me.
You don't need to cap your block if you are not afk in the middle of monsters.

---

Bandits
Spoiler

Normal - Oak (life)
Cruel - Kraityn (attackspeed)
Merciless - Kill all, Endurance or Frenzy Charge (respecced into "kill all")

---

Skill Gems
Spoiler

I wanted all kinds of lightning.

Main attack
There's several options. I'm running Reave at the moment, but you could also use Heavy Strike, Lightning Strike, Molten Strike, Double Strike, Frenzy.

All these gems want quality (LS pierce, the others gain attackspeed), and all can be left at Level 1 (if you don't plan on doing the 20q recipe on your own), as they only scale the physical part, but cost more mana once levelled.

---

Support Gems

Those are 100% required:
Lightning Penetration - with all the damage being lightning, you want to get it through the resists
Weapon Elemental Damage - only of the few "more damage" multipliers
Multistrike - "autoaim" and huge attackspeed buff
Faster Attacks - Hyaon's is very slow without it

That's already a 5L. As for the 6th gem, there's options:

Melee Splash - if the Attack is not AoE by default (LS, Reave)
Concentrated Effect for Reave - another "more damage" Multiplier
Added Lightning - when if not now use this gem? Quality bonus: Shock Chance and Duration
Life Leech - best way to maintain your health (if you don't have "lightning leech" items)

---

Auras
Reduced Mana + Tempest Shield + Wrath + Determination
Reduced Mana + Clarity (+ Blood Magic)

Clarity is required to dodge the mana leech gem. A highlevel one will cost around 300-400 life, this is fine to me.
(If you have Reave lvl 1 (only 6 mana cost), you can use Clarity Lvl 10-12 on mana with this setup).
Wrath is obviously even more lightning damage. I gain freaking 6000 DpS from Lvl20 Wrath.
Determination is required for Aegis Aurora (2% of Armor gained as ES on block)
Tempest Shield is a lightning aura and grants 4% block, it's not really good, but costs almost no mana and fits the "theme" of this build.

---

Mobility
3L: Lightning Warp + Faster Casting + Reduced Duration
or:
4L: Lightning Warp + Culling Strike (20q) + Reduced Duration + Item Rarity

You could also use Leap Slam or Whirling Blades, as a sword user has access to all mobility skills. I choose LW because of the "Lightning Theme".

---

2 leftover Items/Sockets
Whatever you want.
*Cast when Damage taken + usual stuff (IC, Enduring Cry, Curse, ...)
*Conductivity should be in there somewhere

I currently use:
3L: CwDt + lowlevel Conductivity + Enduring Cry (in my sword)
Cast when stunned + Arc + Lightning Pen + Life leech (in my gloves)

---

Gearing up
Spoiler

Required unique:

Pretty obvious. This is the "build enabler".

Nice, but not mandatory Uniques:

The Shield is just the best in the game (stack some 500-1000 ES and be pretty much invincible)
The belt is close to, but not "perfect" (I'd rather use a rare with the same stats, but 90 life instead of the unique abilitys, but those cost 5+ EX). Unfortunatly the 1% leech are not enough, but the 10% shock chance are amazing when you are having 90% uptime on your flasks anyways.

If Aegis, those two are always cool:

...to get some spellblock up.
I actually prefer rares with life rolls on them.

Jewelry
Life, resists, %WED, lightning damage, mana regen

Gloves
Attackspeed would be great (as there is not too much in the tree), life, resists, added lightning damage.

Helmet, Chest, boots, belt
Armor, ES, Life, Resists, Mana.

Flasks
Spoiler

I use a setup like this on any hero.
2 bubbling Health Flasks, 2 Granite of Iron Skin, 1 hybrid.
Remove freeze, remove bleeding, remove shock have to be here.
Remove Curses and Resist flasks are very situational.

---

My current gear
Spoiler

I'm not 100% happy, but pretty close... :)
I have 2% lightning leech (one percent each on amulet and belt), this is just enough to survive, I'd rather have more, but don't want to use the Life Leech gem.

---

Old Character Screenshot
Spoiler

Reave Paper DpS is around 17k now that gems are levelled.

---

Map Mods
Spoiler

Elemental reflect - not too horrible, be a little careful. Use granites, as you can block your own reflect damage and regen ES with it.

Blood Magic, no Regen - I dodge those.

Half regen - Dodge it, or Reduced Mana gem in 6L. Hurts the DpS, but... oh well.

75% lightning resist - I dodge it on blue maps, but you actually penetrate enough resists to play this. Monsters have about 0% resist then (Lightning Pen + Conductivity =~75%)

The rest - no different from other heroes, you'll judge for yourself if you can do it.

---

That's about it, comments, ideas, critique, all would be welcome! :)
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Aug 13, 2014, 10:38:33 AM
It's good to have a working flavor build for this extremely interesting weapon, however I feel that by not taking advantage of the sword's main mechanic it's pointless. I mean what is the point of using the sword for flavor if you're not actually using the main mechanic?

I haven't looked at your tree but I'd assume that by being a witch you could have instead taken the ES/CI route and thus would be immune to blood rage drain. Also, having 84% increased lightning damage isn't much of an improvement when you already have +270% lightning damage, but you could have instead saved those points and put them into defense, or attack speed to get even more use out of the inherent bonus of the sword.

I'm glad it works but I feel like there is still much potential to be unlocked with this weapon
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
It's just the way how this weapon is designed.

If it would be "more" lightning damage instead of "increased", it would maybe have potential, but as it is, it seems best to use it as a 400 eDpS weapon and ignore the frenzy part.

Removing ~6 skillpoints of elemental damage and investing them into defense, while on the other hand dealing with the drawback, this doesnt sound like a good deal to me.

What will those ~6 skillpoints give me in terms of defense to counteract the indreased damage I have to take?
Not enough, I think.

I came to the conclusion that it is best to ignore the frenzy part of this weapon.
Don't take the small amount of damage.
Don't take the drawback.
Don't take the useless life on kill.
But take a 400 elemental DpS weapon.
Well if you equip a Cloak of Defiance you automatically negate the increase damage that you're taking @ 6 frenzy charges.

CoD = 40% reduced damage taken
6 frenzy charges = 36% increased damage taken

I'd say it's totally worth it take advantage of the frenzy charges on this pup, get it?

Maybe you could equip a 3dragons helm and gain some defense by freezing and chilling everyone + temporal chains and enfeeble?

Personally I'd go for powercharges as well as frenzy charges maybe 4/5 for each one? And make a crit heavy build, use a dual wielding skill that alternates weapons, one lightning, the other either fire or cold, and then add elemental equilibirum keystone
Last edited by BearCares on Jun 7, 2014, 7:05:03 PM
"
BearCares wrote:

I'd say it's totally worth it take advantage of the frenzy charges on this pup, get it?

I'd say it's not. With 6 frenzy charges, you gain 72% lightning damage.
But I'm pretty sure that to make CoD worth it, you would on the other hand have to invest in so much mana passives, that you may have taken +72% lightning damage from the tree instead.

"

Maybe you could equip a 3dragons helm and gain some defense by freezing and chilling everyone + temporal chains and enfeeble?

Shock is pretty good, as it doubles the effective DpS.
And you can't wear too many Uniques, or else you won't have enough life.

"

Personally I'd go for powercharges as well as frenzy charges maybe 4/5 for each one? And make a crit heavy build, use a dual wielding skill that alternates weapons, one lightning, the other either fire or cold, and then add elemental equilibirum keystone

This has like nothing to do with my build.
Make a tree, test it, see if it works (I doubt it). But good luck.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but your post looks like you are just pulling something out of your ass. This doesn't even look like "theorycrafting", just like some random thoughts.

"Get frenzy + power charges, make crit (with a 5% base crit chance), dualwield it, use double curses..."
Show me a build that does that, play it and make it work.
Otherwise: what am I to get from your post?

Last edited by Peterlerock on Jun 8, 2014, 2:05:13 PM
It seems to me that a hyaon's fury build would do better using frenzy. Frenzy already has phenomenal bonuses, which get even sicker with the weapon's bonus. MS frenzy attack speed is just insane. You'd want AA + lightning coil + PoL + Blood Frenzy for defense and anti-reflect and to offset the frenzy penalty. The only reasonable way to run AA is with EB with a high ES shield.

something like: http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgMABLMFtQdjCPQMfQzyDlwPqxB0EH8RlhOeFE0XLxmFGYoaOBpsGo8c3B2qHpQkPCSqJLAmlSepKPotRy9vMHwxiDKJNj026TyOPs9FfkWdRnFJUVBCUUdTNVVLVdZXK1fJV-JZ81ptYeJk52aebRltbG17cLtyqXNTd-V5A3qqfNl_K3_GgKSCHoMJhtGMNo19jb-QVZMnmuCbtZ2uogCio6SRpcunCKdcp4Sqf6q4rD-sqrQMtDi1SLiTvebAGsBUwfPGntaK2RPbC9xX4YjjauUZ53Tquuvu7DjwH_Pd9tr60vsJ-_U=

Edit:
Or don't use AA but take MoM (used with your coil) instead:
http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgMABLMFtQdjCPQMfQzyDlwQdBB_EZYUTRcvGNsZhRmKGjgabBqPHNwdqh6UIuokPCSqJLAnqSj6L28wfDGIMok26TyOPs9FfkWdRnFJUUp9UUdV1lb6VytXyVfiWfNabVuvZOdmnmegbRlvnnC7cqlzU3RBdPF313fleQN6qnzZfyt_xoCkgh6DCYUyhtGHdo19jb-QVZMnmuCbtZ2uogCio6XLpwinXKeEqn-quKw_rKq0DLiTvebAGsBUwfPDOsaeykrN6taK2RPbC9xX3Q3hiONq6Nbquuvu7DjwH_Pd9tr60vsJ_MU=
Last edited by jbmcarth on Jun 8, 2014, 4:06:18 PM
"
jbmcarth wrote:
It seems to me that a hyaon's fury build would do better using frenzy. Frenzy already has phenomenal bonuses, which get even sicker with the weapon's bonus.

There's several issues, as stated in my op.
I dont want to use frenzy as main attack, as it needs a splash gem to be AoE. So I'd have to use Blood Dance or Blood Rage for Frenzy Charge generation. Blood Dance doesn't have the stats I like on boots, and Blood Rage... I'm currently working on Chaos Resist (will be 65% in 2 levels), but it still is annoying. I'd still need life regen... Can get 1% at templar for another skillpoint... Hmmm... Blood Dance+Blood Rage: Seems like a waste.
And the %Lightning isn't that big of a deal, while the drawback is pretty brutal.

"

something like: http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgMABLMFtQdjCPQMfQzyDlwPqxB0EH8RlhOeFE0XLxmFGYoaOBpsGo8c3B2qHpQkPCSqJLAmlSepKPotRy9vMHwxiDKJNj026TyOPs9FfkWdRnFJUVBCUUdTNVVLVdZXK1fJV-JZ81ptYeJk52aebRltbG17cLtyqXNTd-V5A3qqfNl_K3_GgKSCHoMJhtGMNo19jb-QVZMnmuCbtZ2uogCio6SRpcunCKdcp4Sqf6q4rD-sqrQMtDi1SLiTvebAGsBUwfPGntaK2RPbC9xX4YjjauUZ53Tquuvu7DjwH_Pd9tr60vsJ-_U=

Remember that you cannot manaleech. So you'll have to get insane mana regen with this, especially if planning on using AA too.
I'm currently running:

...because I got this:

...and 2% leech is barely enough, so I wanted to egt rid of the life leech gem.
(I gambled chromes on my chest, wanted 0-2G, 2-3B, got this after ~100 chromes, so I switched to Reave +...)
I can maintain this with Lvl 18 Clarity. It's a 6 manacost main attack. Now substitute this with Frenzy. Good luck. ;)

---

I believe you that maybe you can build around Hyaon's unique Frenzy stuff. But what I want to show here is: you can also ignore it. The weapon alone, just the 1-500something lightning damage, is build-enabling.
Well written guide, Peter.
The chance to Vaal +1% maximum resists on an amulet is less than 1/300.
Found an Andvarius that quickly sold for 7 Ex. Time for some upgrades... ;)

Bought a Lazhwar with 1% lightning leech, 500something chromatics to roll a lot of offcolors on my chest, a 20q Reave gem, a 1-599 Damage Hyaon and a new ring to cover the missing resists from the amulet swap.

I have only 2% life leech now (Lazhwar + Doryani), which is a little low, but it is ok.

The damage has gone up by a serious amount due to the gem swaps.
(I was trying for RRGGBB or RRGBBB on the sockets, faster attacks or lightning damage instead of life leech)

click me for 86
Next points will be: last 8% life node, 16% chaos resist, 2% shield block. Then probably - if I get there until league ends - frenzy charge, merciless Kraityn (I'll give it a shot). Or Amplify.

Stats:
Spoiler

Gear:
Spoiler

One day the helmet may roll RRGB, so I can use Cwdt + Blood Rage + Conductivity + Enduring Cry in there.
The Shield will get RM + Clarity + Conductivity (highlevel) soon.

I was able to get Clarity off Bloodmagic, as with only 41 manacost on Reave Lvl1, I can easily sustain it with Lvl12 clarity (once CE has quality, even Lvl6-8 clarity may be enough).
That brings me up another ~400 life and more than makes up for the lost life roll on the amulet.

I lost the "shooting" ability from LS, but Concentrated Effect is just too good to pass on.

I put Arc + Lightning Pen + Life Leech on a "Cast when stunned" gem as I thought "Blocking with a Shield" is a form of "getting stunned" in this game. Doesn't seem to be the case. Still I sometimes see Arcs fly out, and it heals me a little bit. Nice bonus. ;)
Last edited by Peterlerock on Jun 9, 2014, 2:25:16 PM
Recorded a little Fraps video of parts of a 75 Plateau map (alch and go, nothing too interesting).

My PC is very old, so I can't record long gameplay sessions, I just put two little bits together.
First part is against normal monsters, second part against a more annyoing monster (rare lightning resistant rock golem, at least not curse immune).

You can see "Cast when stunned" Arcs flying out, and please ignore me hitting air sometimes, when I record, game isn't as fluid as usually. It lags like crazy.

Click me

Imho the clearspeed is pretty nice, looks the same in 77-78 maps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info