The Headless Knight, Noob friendly Spectral throw build! (Updated with new Skill Tree!)

This build is HC Approved in Invasion!

Hello fellow exiles! This is a build guide for the build i call The Headless Knight. It is a very simple build but don't let the simplicity fool you, it is very potent! I started playing something similar to this in nemesis and i ended up playing the same build over and over again, i was hooked. Continued playing the same build but this time in Invasion with great success. Got to lvl 90 and did very high level maps and killed every invader with no problems. My character "met his match" while i was watching E3, i tabbed out and died to Docere Incarnatis (invader) while standing in City of Sarn.

Before you start! Make sure you have the main skills needed for this build! Double Strike and Spectral Throw. If not, create a Scion, she starts with the Spectral Throw gem and then you can stash it for your main character. Do the same thing for double strike, start a Shadow and run it to town and stash the gem. You are now ready to go!

Now its time to pick your class! You have 3 options. Marauder, Duelist or Ranger. If you are just starting out the game or starting in a new league i would recommend starting with the duelist. That way you have access to both Strength (Melee Physical, Added Fire etc.) and Dexterity gems (Faster attacks, Physical Projectile Damage etc.)

For lvling i would suggest just using any 2hander you can get a hold of. If you have currency available some uniques to look into are : Shiversting, Geofris Baptism, Rigvalds Charge. Fill in the lvl gaps between those uniques with rares you find or blue weapons crafted with the physical damage recipe!

Recipe here:
Spoiler

A target weapon.
A normal, magical or rare Rustic Sash (Higher rarity belt gives more damage)
And a Blacksmith's Whetstone
Sell them to the vendor!

Midgame: Now! You are around lvl 60 - 70. Playing with a 4link is just fine at this point.

Endgame: You have your gear set up with Mana Leech on it in order to sustain your main skills without Blood Magic, all i need is 2%. You have acquired a 5link Sword and a 5link Armor Piece. You have also gotten enough Chaos Resistance and Life Regen to run Blood Rage for extra dps and life leech. The most important links are as follows : (Remember, this is my preference, if you dont like for example melee splash on double strike feel free to add faster attacks or whatever gem you want!)

Your Gears should be looking something like this!
Spoiler

Bandit Rewards!
Normal : +40 HP (Help Oak)
Cruel : +8% Attack Speed (Help Kraityn)
Merciless : 1 Passive Point (Kill everyone!)

Passive Tree! (Lvl 80 ish)

Final Build!

Videos of build in action!
Spoiler
Map Videos:
Spoiler
Random Graveyard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hae4nuaZe9M
77 Shipyard, Packszie, Double Boss, Power Charge : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS8CYagk7yE&feature=youtu.be

Unprepared Dominus Run: (No Topaz)

Piety Run:

Screenshots of Stats: (Heads up, the tooltip DPS is skewed because i am lvl 90 and it is calculating my chance to hit on lvl 90 monsters which dont exist in the game, so keep that in mind!)
Spoiler

Double Strike (With Melee Splash)
Spoiler

Spectral Throw
Spoiler

Defenses
Spoiler

Feel free to leave any questions you might have in the thread or in a pm and i'll make sure to answer them to the best of my abilities! Have fun exiles!
If you read this you owe me an exalt.
If your friends aren't playing Path of Exile, are they really your friends?
IGN = @MattFromSweden
Last edited by Mattishh on Sep 6, 2014, 3:29:26 PM
Looks pretty sweet! just have a few questions:

-Why jade over granite?

-When do you get iron grip? How late do you get it? when does it become good to have it in terms of str?

-Interest choice of not taking resolute technique, what's your chance to hit / accuracy?
some more info would be nice, seems like you abandoned this build :/
Forever chillin...
"
Xaenorth wrote:
Looks pretty sweet! just have a few questions:

-Why jade over granite?

-When do you get iron grip? How late do you get it? when does it become good to have it in terms of str?

-Interest choice of not taking resolute technique, what's your chance to hit / accuracy?

Jade over granite because i have more Evasion than i do Armour so adding Evasion and Multiplying the evasion gives me overall more armour (Because IR) than if i were to run a Granite and multiply the Armor.

Iron Grip is up to you, if you are mainly using Spectral Throw for AOE i suggest grabbing it as soon as you can but if you are like me and is mainly using double strike for the AOE then i suggest grabbing pretty much everything else before Iron Grip.

Screenshots added. Accuracy and Chance to hit are skewed because i am lvl 90 so i cannot answer your questions, doesnt feel like i ever miss though.

"
Slosh876 wrote:
some more info would be nice, seems like you abandoned this build :/

Updated! :D
IGN = @MattFromSweden
Last edited by Mattishh on Jul 9, 2014, 9:30:17 PM
updated again!
IGN = @MattFromSweden
How do you sustain your mana? I notice you don't use a Blood Magic gem but you have basically nothing that would allow you to regen a significant amount of mana. Also, you lose an incredible amount of DPS not taking Resolute Technique, especially with no accuracy on gear. I would definitely revise the tree to get RT, your chance to hit in high maps is probably sub-70%. Dropping some phys/AS nodes to path towards RT would definitely be better damagewise.

Also, not sure if you're aware but "Melee Physical Damage" on Born to Fight and Master of the Arena doesn't affect Spectral Throw.

Threw this tree together really quickly so it could probably be optimized a lot more, but I'd probably go for something more along the lines of this:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4B5wUtBu4ILhDwFCAVIBiRGY4aVRvIIWAj9iSbJy8ppSzpMgkyfjQ1NZI26DpSPfxAoEMxROdKfU4qUEdW-lcNWGNYr1pIW69eE18_YEthIWMXZKNnoGoeajtsFmxGcmxyqXTtdPF4DXrvfNl89YCKg9uE74d2iPGKIozPkc6XcJuNns2krKcwqBipbq-itfK2QbvtvJ_ApsDzwQfOcdIh037UUtd-3Q3jn-2D7g7vDu967_DyL_ZI9zL3TfxL_MU=
Last edited by Weslie on Jul 30, 2014, 6:02:46 PM
"
Weslie wrote:
Spoiler
How do you sustain your mana? I notice you don't use a Blood Magic gem but you have basically nothing that would allow you to regen a significant amount of mana. Also, you lose an incredible amount of DPS not taking Resolute Technique, especially with no accuracy on gear. I would definitely revise the tree to get RT, your chance to hit in high maps is probably sub-70%. Dropping some phys/AS nodes to path towards RT would definitely be better damagewise.

Also, not sure if you're aware but "Melee Physical Damage" on Born to Fight and Master of the Arena doesn't affect Spectral Throw.

Threw this tree together really quickly so it could probably be optimized a lot more, but I'd probably go for something more along the lines of this:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4B5wUtBu4ILhDwFCAVIBiRGY4aVRvIIWAj9iSbJy8ppSzpMgkyfjQ1NZI26DpSPfxAoEMxROdKfU4qUEdW-lcNWGNYr1pIW69eE18_YEthIWMXZKNnoGoeajtsFmxGcmxyqXTtdPF4DXrvfNl89YCKg9uE74d2iPGKIozPkc6XcJuNns2krKcwqBipbq-itfK2QbvtvJ_ApsDzwQfOcdIh037UUtd-3Q3jn-2D7g7vDu967_DyL_ZI9zL3TfxL_MU=

If you had actually read my post, you would know how i sustain my mana.
If you had actually read my post, you would know my chance to hit.
I am well aware that some of the nodes i have picked up do not affect Spectral Throw because the build does not only use spectral throw.

Next time, take your time and read through the post before making comments.

Thanks for the feedback nonetheless.
IGN = @MattFromSweden
Last edited by Mattishh on Aug 7, 2014, 3:28:33 AM
New skill tree up, still not sure how this build will do with the nerfs to spectral throw but i'll post information about dps drops or whatever happens after expansion releases!
IGN = @MattFromSweden
Is this fantastic build still good after nerf ?
"
eronorer wrote:
Is this fantastic build still good after nerf ?
The build works great, just posted final new skill tree!
IGN = @MattFromSweden

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info