[HC] Avatar of Fire Molten Strike | 53k dps | Full Guide level 87 (updated 1.1.4)

I am no longer playing this build. It has nothing to do with the build and I will continue to answer questions in the thread.

About the build:
This build uses a vast combination of items and keystones to create a very tanky character with an extremely high damage output. These items / keystones include Avatar of Fire, Doryani's Catalyst, blood magic, static blows, resolute technique, The Three Dragons, Point Blank, and Iron Grip. Keep reading for a more detailed explanation of these choices. By using Avatar of Fire and The Three Dragons I can get maximum efficiency from all damage modifiers, and easily shock stack bosses. This build can kill Dominus and do end game maps.

➊ Current defenses:
Spoiler

➋ Current offenses:
Spoiler
Maths: Tooltip DPS is the melee hit. It has the 125% in it. Then the projectiles have a 0.6 damage multiplier due to the (40% less damage) We have iron grip, so strength is applied equally to the main hit and each projectile. We also have point blank and NO area nodes, and the range of molten strikes projectiles is between 5 and 20. This means on average we are getting 43% more damage with Point Blank, and at least 30% more damage with point blank, so we multiply the 0.6 initial multiplier by 1.43 and get 0.858. There are three projectiles, so we multiply 0.9x3 = 2.574, and add 1 for the main hit itself, leaving us with a 3.574x (53k dps)multiplier on our tooltip dps at maximum, or a 3.34x multiplier at minimum (if they all hit). We also have static blows and the three dragons, So we are able to triple shock-stack bosses and rares, getting the total multiplier up to about 6.8x, totaling to a whopping 99k dps with max shock stacks.

➌ My passives:

➍ My Gear / flasks:
Spoiler

➎ Leveling:
Spoiler
I recommend leveling using 2h molten strike, because with decent leveling gear you really don't need a shield. For passives, take all of your defensive nodes (aside from the ele dmg to get into Templar life) before you touch any damage nodes. As soon as you can get a 250ish dps one-hander I would switch to using a shield and farm docks / catacombs / low maps until you reach level 75 and can use Doryani's. NOTE: This build requires that you have access to Doryani's Catalyst to function properly.

➏ Gems:
Spoiler

Leveling Setup:
Spoiler
Molten Strike / Weapon Ele / Faster Attacks / Multistrike

Main attack: Molten Strike / Weapon Elemental Damage / Multistrike / Added Fire or Life Gain on Hit / Faster attacks / 6 link is either added fire or life gain on hit (whichever you didn't use).
I don't use conc effect with this build. While it improves my single target dps, It greatly hinders my overall clear speed by making an already small area even smaller.
Added fire gives a substantial boost to dps, but LGoH allows me to take no damage from ele reflect and face-tank most fights. If you can afford a 6L, you can use both. Fire pen is interchangeable with added fire, and might actually be better (still testing).

On Doryani's: Leap slam / Inc aoe / faster attacks / Ele prolif (from doryani's)
Allows me to leap slam into a mob and shock stack it immediately

Enduring Cry / Ele Weakness / Faster Casting / Inc aoe
Having a self cast enduring cry is very important, and elemental weakness with quality gives me more penetration than flammability and is more applicable in groups.

CoDT (level 11) / Enduring Cry
To keep up endurance charges.

CoDT (level 15) / Molten Shell / Increased Duration / Immortal Call
It's not difficult to have an 8sec+ immortal call, and molten shell gives a huge boost to our armor. With this setup physical damage is not very scary.

NOTE: some of the gems you see in my gear are not being used. ex: raise zombie.

➐ Keystones explained:
Spoiler

Blood Magic: Probably the most controversial keystone I chose. I chose it because having an extra link offers more in the way of offense, and defense, than auras could provide. Losing life gain on hit for blood magic would mean being more vulnerable to reflect and having a higher mana multiplier on Molten Strike. Also, having more than 10k armor is pretty pointless (we're talking about a couple % difference) especially when we're using a granite anyways. This node also makes grouping very effective. If someone is running grace you get a 30% chance to evade. Auras like Hatred, Anger, and Haste also give your dps a sizable boost (200k fully buffed). You can either level with mana and hatred, or pick up blood magic early (I got BM early).

Avatar of Fire: This turns 100% of our damage into fire damage, up from the original 60%. Allowing for 100% effectiveness of ele weakness, our elemental damage scaling, and elemental leech, while retaining the effectiveness of physical damage modifiers. Do not pick up this keystone until you are using Doryani's, or LGoH.
Avatar of Fire conversion explained:
Spoiler
Molten strike says it converts 60% of physical damage to fire. Avatar of Fire says that it converts 50% of physical damage to fire. 50+60=110% conversion, which is normalized to 100%.
Heres an example of how the mechanics work, which AoF follows (AoF is not in the example, it would just muck it up a bit)
For this example to easily explain it imagine he has *somehow* 70% conversion from physical to fire. He then *somehow* has 60% conversion from physical to cold. These are over 100%, so its all getting converted to something, we just need to find out how much goes to what. 70+60 = 130, so to find out phys->fire we use 70/130 = 53.8%, and 60/130= 46.2% So we have about 54% phys->fire and about 46 phys->cold.

If we say he is also using molten strike, 60% of physical is converted to fire. Because this comes from a skill, it is never scaled. Therefore, the percentages we have found beforehand are multiplied by the remaining 40% of the scalable damage for 53.8*0.4 = 21.52 and 46.2*0.4= 18.48. So if he had a super hrimsorrow and a super chernogs pillar, while using molten strike we would be dealing 81.52% fire damage and 18.48% cold damage.

This is why with AoF and molten strike, 100% of physical damage is converted to fire damage.

If you don't believe it from me, and would rather trust the wiki, this confirms what I am saying.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Damage_conversion

Iron Grip: Gives us increased damage on our projectiles based on strength. Get this when you pass by it on your way into the duelist area.

Point Blank: Because Molten Strike is such a short range skill, It always benefits from point blank at an average of 43% more damage. This is the largest damage increase we get from the tree. Go towards this node first, grabbing defensive nodes along the way.

Static Blows: Allows for instant shock stacks by using The Three Dragons helm. Because all of my damage is fire, the shocks last longer, especially on bosses. Get this node, and the node after it, once you start using The Three Dragons.

➑ Gearing / Bandits:
Spoiler

Bandit Choices: Oak / Kraityn / Point

For uniques, I use Doryani's Catalyst, Doryani's Invitation (recommended but not required), Lioneye's remorse, and The Three Dragons. I recommend getting a Lioneye's remorse as a shield, but it is possible to get a better rare one. Also, a rare shield is nice if you having trouble capping your resists.

For dps stats try and find attack speed on gloves, but phys damage is nice too. On your jewelry getting attack speed, physical damage, fire damage %, base fire damage, or elemental damage with weapons will greatly improve your dps.

Try to focus on finding gear with very high life and armor, and maintain capped resists. It is also recommended that you slightly overcap your resists to counteract curses.

For flasks I highly recommend using one instant life pot / the Atziri flask (or another life pot) / ruby flask (useful for reflect if you don't have LGoH) / and a topaz. You should also make sure to have remove shocked, remove curses, and remove bleeding.

Help me improve the guide for others! Please leave any questions, comments, or concerns in the comments.

Questions Answered:
Spoiler

** If you do not see your question answered here, I probably answered it in the comment section

Have you done the math on whether or not it's better to use Fire Pen over faster attacks, etc?
Spoiler
Faster attacks allows me to apply shock stacks much faster, and greatly improves the effectiveness of multistrike because I don't have much ias on the tree. I recommend swapping added fire for fire pen in maps with fire resist. Fire pen may actually be just better than added fire (still testing).

What do you mean Avatar of fire is 100% up from 60%? Been away from the game for a while, don't understand what you mean by that
Spoiler
See Keystones explained section.

What are your thoughts on carnage heart for this build?
Spoiler
I do not deal any physical damage... so carnage heart is bad.

Why not use concentrated effect over faster attacks?
Spoiler
While conc effect would boost my single target dps, It is not worth the massive clear speed loss that a smaller area would cause (the area is small as it is).

Are fire damage % nodes better than % physical nodes?
Spoiler
No, the % on these nodes are equivalent, so it's better to take whichever gives you more.

IGN: FalconPunchingManiac
Last edited by Mysphyt on Jul 8, 2014, 6:53:57 PM
B
B
follow perimeter in maps or riot !
p.s. Nicebuilddotcom :P
What do you mean Avatar of fire is 100% up from 60%? Been away from the game for a while, don't understand what you mean by that.
IGN: LessBow
B, questions answered
Your thoughts about carnage heart on that build?
B
Why do you have atziru's promise? Only thing you get from it is chaos resistance under AoF.
I also have a similar build but wielding dual doryanis and using infernal blow :].
IGN: Smegacore
Wouldn't concentrated effect instead of faster attacks be a massively better choice in terms of dps?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info