Zealot's Oath ES regen vs HP regen

I took Zealot's Oath thinking it would simply apply the regen I had to the shield, to use the ES in combat instead of just have it drain away at the beginning.

The regen rate went right down, about half after taking ZO. Is this intended? What's the formula for calculating the regen? Why would any templar take this (outside of CI) if it simply nerfs your regen?
If you have x points per second of flat life regen (e.g. from a coral amulet), it turns into the same amount of flat ES regen.

If you have y%/s life regen, it turns into y%/s ES regen. But now that percentage per second means 'y% of your maximum ES per second', instead of 'y% of your maximum life per second'.

Generally speaking, Zealot's Oath is not recommended unless you have significantly more max ES than max life.
Last edited by Incompetent on May 13, 2014, 9:13:13 AM
"
Moromillas wrote:
I took Zealot's Oath thinking it would simply apply the regen I had to the shield, to use the ES in combat instead of just have it drain away at the beginning.

The regen rate went right down, about half after taking ZO. Is this intended? What's the formula for calculating the regen? Why would any templar take this (outside of CI) if it simply nerfs your regen?

It changes "life regeneration %" into "ES regeneration %"

that means it uses your ES value instead of your life value, Its only worth it when you have more ES than you have life.

example:

1000 life = 100 hp/sec with 10% regen
500 ES = 50 es/sec with 10% regen ZO

vs

500 life = 50 hp/sec with 10% regen
1000 ES = 100 es/sec with 10% regen ZO
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
i take a wild guess that your es is half of your hp.thats one possible scenario
Bye bye desync!
"
elwindakos wrote:

Much less than half the life. I don't know why the regen only went down by half, I can't for the life of me figure out the formula of life regen, and es regen where ZO is concerned. Therefore, not sure when to switch over to ZO.

The wiki simply states that it's based on max life and max es.
Last edited by Moromillas on May 13, 2014, 9:26:45 AM
"
Moromillas wrote:
"
elwindakos wrote:

Much less than half the life. I don't know why the regen only went down by half, I can't for the life of me figure out the formula of life regen, and es regen where ZO is concerned. Therefore, not sure when to switch over to ZO.

The wiki simply states that it's based on max life and max es.

Like mentioned flat regen isn't effected by your life/es total so look at your gear see if you have regen on like Unique iron rings.
How can you not figure out the formula? It's just a percentage of your max. If you have 1% regen, take your max life (or max es with zealot's oath) and multiply it by .01. If you have 1.5% regen, multiply by .015. Add in any flat regen like 2.9 from a coral amulet.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
How can you not figure out the formula? It's just a percentage of your max. If you have 1% regen, take your max life (or max es with zealot's oath) and multiply it by .01. If you have 1.5% regen, multiply by .015. Add in any flat regen like 2.9 from a coral amulet.

Because I didn't know how passives from the tree plus bonuses from items added together, and having different regen numbers unlike the pools seemed strange. Adding the flat bonus from items after the 1% from passives appears to be the right numbers.

This ZO still seems bizarre. I've got what is considered Templar gear, yet there's no way my es will ever top my life, making ZO always a nerf in regen. Are there any Templars that have more es than life? It appears to be a Templar passive, yet seems useless to Templars?
ZO is a.. meh keystone

first its placement makes it very expensive for what it does. only few other keystones have so many useless nodes preceding it. it was much better situated before move (near templar aura cluster)

second - ZO is not for situations when ES>HP. it is for your convenience - you regain life with flasks and ES regens on itself. playing hybrid character (Esp ES+HP) is a mixed bag and in most cases ES in this case is just additional buffer one cannot rely on (chaos damage..)

also various status aliments care only about HP part.

this should be marked somewhere, but hybrid builds (kings of CB) are very dangerous now and mostly do not provide anything significant over full HP with 'some' ES gear thrown by accident. you can get higher 'total' ES+HP (probably) but that total is a sum of reliable (HP) and flimsy (ES) - in regards to management - parts.
"
Are there any Templars that have more es than life? It appears to be a Templar passive, yet seems useless to Templars?

To keep it short, yes there is. Templars can go full CI/lowlife just like shadow/witch. Keystones are not limited to one class and are balanced around the skilltree itself. Starting areas are mainly balanced around classes but the rest is balanced around the entire tree as a whole.

In this case ZO was intentionally put some distance away from CI/ghost reaver.
Last edited by kasub on May 14, 2014, 1:53:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info