Molten Strike

if you had to choose between inc aoe and gmp.. wouldn't inc aoe make more sense/deeps??
considering i'd already pick up AoE boosts... i rather grab multi projectile, prefer lesser for smaller penalty too.
using lv 11 gems
3 balls, minimal overlap, 80.4% damage each. vs 5 balls, noticeable overlap, 64.32% damage each. vs 7 balls, average overlap, 56.28% damage each.

i'd probably say that "minimal" is about 5% chance, "noticeable" is 10% to 20% chance, average is 33% to 50% chance.
finally, but not the question: 9 balls, always overlap, but 45% damage each (so 90% roughly).
The balls should have more AoE on their own. Truth is it lacks clear speed, and it still should do insane damage. The thing is even with Conc Effect you still do not hit with all the balls which is frankly ridiculous, considering how slow the clear speed is. Just double the AoE of the balls, not the area they can fall on and the skill is golden.
Hi all,

Can someone give a projtile's AoE radious?

What about deadzone of skill? Is it usefull to use Knockback for purposes of more overlapping?

What will happen if i miss? Proj wouldn't apear?

UPD:still intrested
"Отрастил скилл - имеешь право ногибать" СерБ
Last edited by Radonegskyprotiv on Feb 25, 2016, 12:43:00 PM
"
Can someone give a projtile's AoE radious?

The wiki states 20 for AOE, 8 for balls
The 8 is a suggested area but yes I would like confirmation as well.

"
What about deadzone of skill? Is it usefull to use Knockback for purposes of more overlapping?

Since you hit multiple times you would likely knock them out of the aoe.

"
What will happen if i miss? Proj wouldn't apear?

Interesting. I think the projectiles are formed no matter what but I'm not positive.

You can hold shift + attack and projectiles are still formed.

I assume the projectiles are a completely separate attack and count as a completely separate attack.

I hope someone can clarify that.

Also, is this skill changing at all for Ascension? I am building another molten strike build this time to try and min/max it and I would really like to know if it will be nerfed or anything else.

I'm also creating an excel spreadsheet for damage calculation of this skill. But the wiki is too vague in it's damage calculation description.

For simplicity in calculation:
Lets say I have a weapon w/ 80 avg physical damage.
I get 20 avg physical dmg from gear.
A lvl 1 molten strike says: deals 120% of base attack damage.
Molten strike converts 60% dmg to fire.
120% increased dmg (gear/passives)
40% more dmg
10 attacks per second

First I'll try melee dmg:
(100 * 1.2) = 120 physical dmg
(120 * (1 + 1.2) * ( 1 + 0.4 ) = 369.6 physical dmg
369.6 * 10 = 3696 dps
2217.6 : Fire DPS
1478.4 : Physical DPS

I know projectiles are calculated separate but since we don't have projectile modifiers it is safe to assume:
That a single projectile does: 3696 * 0.6 = 2217.6 dps
1332.5 Fire DPS
885.1 Physical DPS

It's been said that each projectile has a roughtly 33% chance of hitting a normal enemy.
you could take: DPS * chance of projectile hitting * num of projectiles = projectile dmg
2217.6*0.33*3 = 2195.4 projectile dps

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Someone oversimplified the wiki and I am not sure how the real damage is calculated. My real question is:

It the base dmg multiplier included with the % increased damage or is it calculated before those?

Anyone know exactly when in the damage calculation damage is converted? It would be really awesome if someone shown a 6 link melee attack damage calculation

IGN: YeahCrit

My Guides
Dual Claw Molten Strike Ranger HC: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1178252
Elmo Fire Templar HC: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/93967
"I assume the projectiles are a completely separate attack and count as a completely separate attack."
Naturally.

---
"It the base dmg multiplier included with the % increased damage or is it calculated before those?"
It's of course a separate multiplier. Pretty pointless otherwise :P
Being a Base Damage modifier, it applies to precisely what it implies: Base Damage. However, being a straight multiplier, it doesn't actually matter when you apply it, as long as it's after flat Damage.

More babbling about Damage, while we're on the subject:
Projectile Attacks do not scale with Increased Melee Damage. You're not getting "120% Increased Damage" from your passives and gear, but something inane like this:
50% Increased Melee Physical Damage (saaay, Strength)
20% Increased Physical Damage with One-handed Melee weapons
30% Increased Physical Damage with Axes
20% Increased Elemental Damage

Which means your Projectiles receive 70% Increased Damage, but the Melee strike enjoys the full 120% ID. In your specific example, you can simply apply the Less Damage multiplier to your Melee hit, but that's not how it'll work in practice. Be wary. :)

---
"Anyone know exactly when in the damage calculation damage is converted?"
Of course I do. :P

Conversion occurs before Damage multipliers are added.
Converted Damage benefits from modifiers to the source-type.

Damage Based On, such as Hatred and Added Fire, occurs before Conversion. As such, it is just as strong on Molten Strike as it is on Heavy Strike.

Using the previous list of modifiers, a 100 Physical Damage weapon and 20 flat Fire Damage, Damage work out as follows:

120% Base Damage:
100 * 1.2 = 120 Base Physical Damage
20 * 1.2 = 24 Fire Damage

Melee portion:
120 * 0.6 = 72 Fire Damage (from Phys)
120 - 72 = 48 Physical Damage
24 Fire Damage

48 Physical damage benefits from all modifiers:
48 * (1 + (50/100) + (20/100) + (30/100) + (20/100)) = 105.6 Physical Damage

72 Fire damage (from Phys) benefits from all modifiers too:
72 * 2.2 = 158.4 Fire Damage

24 Fire Damage only benefits from Ele Damage:
24 * (1 + (20/100)) = 28.8 Fire Damage

Sum total:
105 Physical Damage
158.4 + 28.8 = 187.2 -> 187 Fire Damage

Projectile portion:
48 * 1.7 * 0.6 = 48.96
72 * 1.7 * 0.6= 73.44
24 * 1.2 * 0.6= 17.28

48 Phys, 90 Fire
Nevermind I'm a fool, ignore this post!
FiftyShadesOfBlade
Last edited by bendot on May 14, 2016, 8:03:11 AM
This is more of a generalization for melee skills early-game.

I, a molten strike user- used the skill faithfully until level 14. Where sunder- the much more useful skill in all regards- destroyed the Molten strike dps and utility(Sunder).

I find that Molten strike's projectiles are too small for 2-Handed weapons, and should scale with Weapon Range.

Part also with this- is the lack of Penetration from the generic 'Melee' orientated builds.

If you are making a Molten Striker, you are most likely focusing on the PHYSICAL aspect of this skill.

I believe that Molten Strike either needs to have more base damage, or a straight up benefit for using the skill versus any other.

Something along the line of Fire Penetration, or the Fire penetration cluster being MOVED in the skill tree.

Currently, the node favors 1-handed builds- where as; the builds for 1-handers are generally used by Duelists. This is contradictory to the placement, as it 'entices' block through the available points nearby. Marauder being; a 2-Handed focus of the skill tree.

To top it off; the Fire penetration node is actually lack-lust in the path from duelist->marauder, as the most efficient way is usually through the marauder side %Health Regen node and upwards to the scion wheel. This makes the build CONCRETE instead of a 'playstyle' because the available nodes around are so focused.

I believe moving the Fire Penetration node should be moved to where the Accuracy 3 point going towards duelist, and that node should be moved relevant to an accuracy build- as marauder emphesis is on Resolute Technique (not written in stone, just strongly suggest by it's ascendencies nearby) - that being; Elemental Based Templars, and Crit based Duelists.

so the just of this analysis is;

I would like to see Molten strike do something like this;

Consecutive Hits reduce enemy's fire resistance by x% after each hit.
or
Molten Strike ignores x% fire resistance
You have to build for this skill - it's not a generic melee skill, but a projectile skill. And top end it has to be played with full fire conversion at the moment, best with this amulett:

Converting the 40% physical damage to fire, to be able to use fire penetration from Amu, tree and gem.

With 2 wildfire jewels you get then +4 balls, they are cheap. Endgame you want the lab enchant on the helm with another +2 or +3 balls. With maximum of 10 balls before potions, you'll have always overlapping hits, often multiple.

I'm playing Molten Strike this Season in SSF league and have chosen it because of a random find of a wildfire jewel. I can't see a slower clearspeed at the moment (beginning maps) than with blade flurry.

With a fast weapon and multistrike you generate enough balls to have a real AOE skill due to overlapping.

It's no skill of just plugging in like blade flurry, it needs support but grows with support.

With Iron will and point blank from the tree you can get a virtual 8 - link for this skill, pushing damage further.
Hello , id like to have Molten Strike Alternate skill effect pls pls pls :) sompthin blue will be great :D like Harbinger Molten Strike :):):)
I love that skill !!!
I'm born tired , and i live to rest :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info