Burned/Toasted my new Laptop x2 time

Now that I have toasted my brand new laptop second time I started to think is it really the game?
I will post more details later about my lap.

Thats my spec. I think thats enough to run POE, But some how I got burned twice, I already contacted sellers to get a refund either a different model, because I can give 99% that it will be toted one more time... It didn't show any BSoD or made sound it just died thats all folks.

General
Brand Sony
Product name Vaio SVF-15N1Z2EB
Product code SVF15N1Z2EB

Processor / Chipset / Memory
Processor series Intel Core i7
Processor type Intel Core i7 4500U
Processor clock frequency 1.8 GHz
Number of CPU cores 2
Memory 12 GB
Memory type DDR3
Memory expandable to 12 GB

Graphics
GPU type Nvidia GeForce GT 735M
Integrated / discrete graphics Seperate chip

Storage
Total storage capacity 1,000 GB
Hard disk/SSD 1 type SSD/Flash

"
Drakier wrote:
Laptops aren't built for gaming.. especially gaming as demanding of PoE. They have poor thermal dissipation and can cause issues with overheating (and damaging your hardware).

If you play games on a laptop, you have to learn how to limit the damage and framerate to prevent problems. This includes frame limiters in addition to vsync. If you don't do these things, you can expect to experience problems eventually. A lot of games don't cap framerates at login screens for instance, and you'll end up cooking your GPU by it running at 500FPS (100% utilization for extended periods of time).

Really the best thing is to not game on a laptop. If you game frequently, get a desktop PC.

Also, don't necro-bump old posts. Instead, you should create your own new thread for your issues in the future. Please refer to the "Rules" sticky post for more information.
Thanks to Chris 2010s, I'm in beta business.
Last edited by WekizZ on Apr 22, 2014, 1:15:25 PM
Sorry for necroing old post, but as you can see Im not so big forum fan :D

So the idea is that this laptop was running game in highres without any problems, but I still lowered everything because I understand that it was extra job for my GPU.
And one more thing does all the laptops dont support simple games like POE (state the fact that POE dont require more than some kind of Diablo III or Guld Wars 2 if it does I probably shoot my self...) Wath about gaming laptops like Alien-Ware or XPS?
There is no such thing as a "gaming laptop" in my experience. They're all just clever marketing. Laptops are not conducive to gaming due to their form factor not allowing proper ventilation and heat dissipation.

Also, PoE is quite a bit more demanding on a GPU than Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2. A lot of that is due to the immaturity of their engine, but it also has to do with the details of graphics, and how the shaders and things are coded. They are more demanding. Also, as I mentioned, there is no frame limit on the login screen, so if you don't set one, you can burn up your GPU sitting at the login screen.

If you insist on gaming on your laptop, you MUST set a frame limit in your graphics control panel (set it to your monitor's refresh rate) and enable vsync. If you don't do this, you can burn out your laptop VERY quickly. You need to become more knowledgeable about the system you are using and how things work in order to prevent damage.

PCs are not gaming consoles. They aren't an xbox or playstation. They can have infinite customization in both hardware and software. It's a good idea to understand how they work so you can understand how to run them optimally. If you don't, you'll just keep killing your hardware.
Oh now I see where the cookie crumble.
I'll try that thing with frame rate and vsync.
But one more thing where is the overheating protection, why it lets burn my GPU until its toasted?
And if there would be burning a lot of laptops then there would be much more post like this one. Or is it only me who is using laptop to play poe? And forgets to do the right settings...
Last edited by WekizZ on Apr 22, 2014, 4:03:27 PM
"
WekizZ wrote:
Oh now I see where the cookie crumble.
I'll try that thing with frame rate and vsync.
But one more thing where is the overheating protection, why it lets burn my GPU until its toasted?
And if there would be burning a lot of laptops then there would be much more post like this one. Or is it only me who is using laptop to play poe?

overheating protections only sometimes work, and can often times have issues due to ambient heat from the CPU combined with the GPU.

Most people who choose to game on a laptop understand what they are doing and take precautions to set up frame limits or monitor their temperatures to prevent damages. It's not the first case I've seen however of someone having overheating issues with their laptop.

the protections in place for ovearheating GPU is generally just throttling down the processor to reduce heat. The problem comes that in laptops the heat is all shared in a tiny little case between all components. So even if the GPU is throttled down, the ambient temperature in the laptop shell is high enough from CPU and other components to not completely prevent damages.

I still don't recommend playing games on a laptop. If you choose to do so, you need to do so carefully and with more information. You need to do a lot more research into it (I recommend this with anything you do that you are unfamiliar with).
And what about flash games? Does they also heat up so that it can damage the computer?
Because I don't really remember but firs time it could be because of that.
"
WekizZ wrote:
And what about flash games? Does they also heat up so that it can damage the computer?
Because I don't really remember but firs time it could be because of that.

It's all about temperatures.

My laptop overheats playing YouTube videos.

What I recommend is to install some software you can use to monitor the temperature and keep an eye on it. Sometimes you can run something that will even give you little bars that show the temps and you can set "max" so it tells you when it is overheating.

I use Linux, so I have a sensor monitor plugin that keeps me informed of my temperatures... but they have similar things for windows.

I don't know if it has the progress bars, but HWMonitor is one I've use on Windows before which does a decent job at giving you voltages and temperatures for everything. Get informed about what reasonable temperatures are for your hardware, then keep an eye on them.

It also helps to have a cooling pad or some sort of station to put the laptop on which can help cooling.
Spoiler

dis will help

and btw:

"
Drakier wrote:
There is no such thing as a "gaming laptop" in my experience. They're all just clever marketing. Laptops are not conducive to gaming due to their form factor not allowing proper ventilation and heat dissipation.

Also, PoE is quite a bit more demanding on a GPU than Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2. A lot of that is due to the immaturity of their engine, but it also has to do with the details of graphics, and how the shaders and things are coded. They are more demanding. Also, as I mentioned, there is no frame limit on the login screen, so if you don't set one, you can burn up your GPU sitting at the login screen.

If you insist on gaming on your laptop, you MUST set a frame limit in your graphics control panel (set it to your monitor's refresh rate) and enable vsync. If you don't do this, you can burn out your laptop VERY quickly. You need to become more knowledgeable about the system you are using and how things work in order to prevent damage.

PCs are not gaming consoles. They aren't an xbox or playstation. They can have infinite customization in both hardware and software. It's a good idea to understand how they work so you can understand how to run them optimally. If you don't, you'll just keep killing your hardware.

i second dis :)

also laptops always have problems with energy & cooling. since the good old toshiba once. xbox/ps are only done for gpu and games... remember: the new ps4 gpu is from nvidia i think, and has so much gflops, you need 6 highend cards inside your machine and this is not enough.

my tip: buy a kind of cooling stuff to your laptop. this will work very well.. also do not play fullscreen, size your screen a little bit, and use some temp mesure software in behind.
in your bios you can do a temp limiter, you prevent to kill your hardware with dis, because your lap will shut down. dis is the best way i think.

also update your drivers around some month. at all, everything what is doing 3d framework is hard for your laptop @ all.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ ++HIDEOUT IMPROVEMENT THREAD: ..../view-thread/2179528...++░░░░▒▒▒▒
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by loCurnus on Apr 22, 2014, 5:20:00 PM
I was checking my CPU most of the time, but not GPU...
CPU was fine even with 9 open and running flash games, but the cooler was whistling 24/7
ja, you should have a look to your gpu more than your cpu. and remember flash got another way of displaying stuff to the screen, then realtime 3d games do.

how dis works you can simple have a google look @.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ ++HIDEOUT IMPROVEMENT THREAD: ..../view-thread/2179528...++░░░░▒▒▒▒
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info