Solid BSoD then my VGA burns away

I want to report that today during a party in Villa map POE give me a solid BSoD, then at restart something goes wrong with strange green artifact all over my desktop.

tried to reinstall all drivers, change PCI-E slot, HDMI cable, format my pc, nothing happens, green artifact remains, then i decided to reinstall my old VGA and now everything is good with no artifacts, so the conclusion is that my GTX 570 goes burned out.

i dont know if the problem is related to the game or if my VGA would be broken anyway, is just a reporting for everyone.

my pc:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
VGA: Gainward GTX570 GLH Cuda (burned)
MOBO: MSI Z68A-GD80 G3
RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600Mhz
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Sounds like you didn't have vsync enabled and your graphics card had very poor cooling.

video cards generally shut down long before they burn up... but sometimes if the card is failing or crappy, or you have REALLY poor thermal dissipation, it can actually get burned up as a result of the heat.

You should monitor your temperatures using something like HWMonitor more often to make sure you don't have other components that are not cooling properly.
Drakier thx for ur reply.

What happens is weird, i've never meet any issue with my VGA before today, the cooling system is the stock one but is very powerfull, and everytime i checked temps (i usually use Everest), with POE or other games, heat never goes over 65° for my VGA and 36° for my CPU, and like u said i know that if VGA overheat, the protection system stops everything to prevents HW breaks, this didnt happen.

last thing, my vsynk was enabled.
Have you checked the running temperature of the GPU while in-game? while 65C isn't super high for a GPU, it is higher than normal, and I'd be watching it more closely to make sure it didn't get higher.
sure, temps always checked ingame.

i ve played POE since it was in CB with my 570 and i never get problems, also i played yesterday and this morning, and again no problems.

this afternoon i login, a friend send me an invite, go in lab, enter in Villa, time to kill a pack and boom, my VGA gone.

really weird...
"
ErasmoCBT wrote:
sure, temps always checked ingame.

i ve played POE since it was in CB with my 570 and i never get problems, also i played yesterday and this morning, and again no problems.

this afternoon i login, a friend send me an invite, go in lab, enter in Villa, time to kill a pack and boom, my VGA gone.

really weird...

If that's the case, it could just be your hardware was already starting to fail, and it just got pushed over the edge. I've had more than a few video cards crap out on me over the years. They're pretty random and I just chalk it up to hardware failure and get a new one. Usually it's a good idea to get a new one anyway because by the time they fail, WAY better cards are out and I really should have upgraded anyway. With a 570, that's not necessarily the case. If it's still in warranty, see if you can get a replacement.
Now that I have toasted my brand new laptop second time I started to think is it really the game?
I will post more details later about my lap.

Thats my spec. I think thats enough to run POE, But some how I got burned twice, I already contacted sellers to get a refund either a different model, because I can give 99% that it will be toted one more time... It didn't show any BSoD or made sound it just died thats all folks.

General
Brand Sony
Product name Vaio SVF-15N1Z2EB
Product code SVF15N1Z2EB

Processor / Chipset / Memory
Processor series Intel Core i7
Processor type Intel Core i7 4500U
Processor clock frequency 1.8 GHz
Number of CPU cores 2
Memory 12 GB
Memory type DDR3
Memory expandable to 12 GB

Graphics
GPU type Nvidia GeForce GT 735M
Integrated / discrete graphics Seperate chip

Storage
Total storage capacity 1,000 GB
Hard disk/SSD 1 type SSD/Flash
Thanks to Chris 2010s, I'm in beta business.
Last edited by WekizZ on Apr 22, 2014, 9:05:22 AM
Laptops aren't built for gaming.. especially gaming as demanding of PoE. They have poor thermal dissipation and can cause issues with overheating (and damaging your hardware).

If you play games on a laptop, you have to learn how to limit the damage and framerate to prevent problems. This includes frame limiters in addition to vsync. If you don't do these things, you can expect to experience problems eventually. A lot of games don't cap framerates at login screens for instance, and you'll end up cooking your GPU by it running at 500FPS (100% utilization for extended periods of time).

Really the best thing is to not game on a laptop. If you game frequently, get a desktop PC.

Also, don't necro-bump old posts. Instead, you should create your own new thread for your issues in the future. Please refer to the "Rules" sticky post for more information.
So...in summary....Don't game on a AMD/ATI graphics card OR a laptop. I think I'll just take my amd gaming laptop that runs every other game perfectly with me and just find a different game....thank you while it lasted. It's a wonderful game , but for some of us impossible to run properly in its current state. Will continue to play on and off to see if things improve.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info