Burned/Toasted my new Laptop x2 time

But there is some flash games that require something more than simple 3D games. But probobly they require more CPU work...
Thanks to Chris 2010s, I'm in beta business.
Been gaming on laptops for many years with no issues. Ten hour sessions not uncommon. Never had to reboot, never any problems with heat. Use a good cooling pad under your laptop if you have heat issues. Of course a desktop is a better choice for gaming, however a good laptop with a good dedicated graphic card works fine......just not on this poorly coded game....period. Stop blaming everyone's setups and rigs....blame the game. Not sure what you are looking at but I simply don't see your "high detail level" of graphics. This game looks no better than other games like it. I appreciate your efforts to help people, just tired of people defending this game to death. I know its a small company....blah blah blah.
I see that yer using an Intel chip there. There's yer problem! =P
AMD all the way!
"
Townnoob23 wrote:
Been gaming on laptops for many years with no issues. Ten hour sessions not uncommon. Never had to reboot, never any problems with heat. Use a good cooling pad under your laptop if you have heat issues. Of course a desktop is a better choice for gaming, however a good laptop with a good dedicated graphic card works fine......just not on this poorly coded game....period. Stop blaming everyone's setups and rigs....blame the game. Not sure what you are looking at but I simply don't see your "high detail level" of graphics. This game looks no better than other games like it. I appreciate your efforts to help people, just tired of people defending this game to death. I know its a small company....blah blah blah.

Just because YOU can game on a laptop, doesn't mean everyone can. It's a well-known fact that laptops have VERY poor heat dissipation and thermal conductivity. The lack of airflow in most instances causes the laptops to get very hot very quickly and can lead to immediate overheating issues (and eventually damage).

You use a good cooling pad and I'm sure you've tweaked settings and other things to prevent damage to your laptop. Average Joe that goes out to Best Buy and purchases a "gaming laptop" isn't necessarily going to do ANY of those things. In addition to that, as I said before, they just don't conduct heat properly so at some point or another, if you're not paying attention properly, your laptop will get cooked. I've done it myself a couple of times and I know what to look for and how to be "careful". Just left something running while I went to run an errand that I shouldn't have, and that was the end of gaming on that laptop.

I'm not defending the game in terms of how it runs, etc. You'll find many references throughout the forum of me saying how infant their engine is and how it's not well optimized (due to not being a mature engine). But that doesn't change how DEMANDING the game is... in fact, that makes it MORE demanding. In addition to that, the details I was referring to are in the shaders and other things related to the game details. High resolution textures, refraction/reflection, effects, etc. When you wear a metal piece of armor and have settings turned up, you can actually see little light reflections in the divots of the armor. That to me is high detail. There are very few games out there that have that sort of realism/detail. I'm not saying that the characters are life-like or anything.. just that the detail that GGG puts into the textures and models is in my opinion fairly unmatched with most similar games out there. It's often compared to D3 or TL2 (or even GW2) and those games are cartoons compared to the details and effects of Path of Exile. I'm not saying that D3 looks bad either. It's just a different style.

I'm not going to stop anyone from attempting to game on a laptop, but I'm certainly not going to advocate for it or tell people they SHOULD be gaming on laptops, because I think for the vast majority of people and laptops out there, they shouldn't be. It's not a good choice if gaming is your intention. Laptops (and tablets) are meant for light-weight portability for productivity. Office applications, web browsing, email, etc. They were never properly DESIGNED for gaming. That was never their purpose. And as I said before, that includes "gaming laptops" which for the most cases are just clever marketing to people who don't know better. You can ask a lot of professionals and people in the industry and they will tell you the same. Laptops are not meant for gaming. Doesn't mean it CAN'T be done. Just means that in most cases, it probably shouldn't be (or risk losing your laptop).

Good luck.
Like I said several times PoE uses way too much GPU Load causing 90-100% which is unhealthy.

Cooling isn't the issue high end Games uses features which result in 80-95°C heat ups. PoE is constantly around 60-65°C depending on used GPU.

Frame Limiter and VSync are placebos on a game like PoE.
Heavy games need it but not PoE.

"
It's a well-known fact that laptops have VERY poor heat dissipation and thermal conductivity.

Show me a laptop with a GPU Temperature of 80+ °C even the copper tubes.
If a Laptop GPU ever had such high temperatures you could see the damage with your own eye.

My laptop GPU also got killed by PoE and the GPU Temperature was 49°C.
The damaging values were: GPU Load, Voltage and Current values.

On my Desktop I can easily see how the fanspeed get fucked up because of poor coding resulting in high voltage and current.
70-80% Fanspeed that's something I would get if I am willing to destroy my GPU with Furmark or Cryptocurrency miners.

The OP clearly describes issues that come from a GPU Load overkill.

And your claim that heat protection is ineffective is just false.
You can set the heat protection to a quiet low value and see that it will shut down.
Set up a current/voltage shut down and you will never be able to play PoE again.

And with this MTX overkills it's only a matter of time till Hardwaregriefing becomes popular.
"
Hilbert wrote:
Show me a laptop with a GPU Temperature of 80+ °C even the copper tubes.
If a Laptop GPU ever had such high temperatures you could see the damage with your own eye.
My laptop GPU also got killed by PoE and the GPU Temperature was 49°C.
The damaging values were: GPU Load, Voltage and Current values.

playing poe on an laptop is simply crazy on the long term. sure there are gaming laptops available but due to their construction laptops simply can't handle the heat produced by the gfx card and cpu while playing even normal games.
a friend of mine wouldn't listen and broke his "gaming laptop" even wile playing something simple like "tera online" some months ago. a quite expensive experience.

and if you have (under)voltage problems, you should exchange the power supply (does not apply to laptops though:)

this is because the gpu is always trying to draw a certain amount of power and in case of an overload with the voltage going down the power is transmitted by increasing the flow of current which can stress the system above normal.

Last edited by cronus on Apr 24, 2014, 6:38:28 AM
"
friend of mine wouldn't listen and broke his "gaming laptop" even wile playing something simple like "tera online" some months ago. a quite expensive experience.

PoE isn't the only game having issues.
Crysis for example is also poorly coded.

Rockstar did everything not to support laptops and not to create GPU overkills with GTA4 even you used the -norestriction parameters laptops had some features removed hardcoded.

"
and if you have (under)voltage problems, you should exchange the power supply (does not apply to laptops though:)

Heavy GPU Load is the opposite. Higher currents create heat.
Many voltage nodes used at the same create leakages and unwanted discharges cause damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info